The generic transfer thread

10377 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Sanguine » 01 Sep 2021 15:00

Sutekh
paultheroyal Liverpool must have bags of money. Can only think they are saving it up for a marquee signing in either January or next summer.

No idea if it’s true or not but Liverpool strike me as currently possibly the best run of what you’d call the big sides in the world as they do not just go out and spend zillions every window but if they do spend big it’s largely financed by other sales.

The issue though with that is that things aren’t kept “fresh” and squad depth is not as strong as it should be for a club at that level. Consequently I expect them to be playing for 4th place again while the 2 Manchester clubs and Chelsea fight it out for the prize that matters.

Given the club ethos was always to win the league title that seemingly lack lustre attitude must be difficult for some supporters to take

At least though, for them the very slim outside chance they have of enticing Mbappe their way next summer went up slightly this window.

This being just a long-con that ends up securing Mbappe would see them build a statue of Michael Edwards.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Sep 2021 15:45

Eintracht Frankfurt intentionally gave Lazio a wrong email address so that they could tell Filip Kostic Lazio never made an official bid for him.

Kostic agent discovered it & sent the player a screenshot of the email, that’s why Kostic refused to train.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Sep 2021 15:49

Simmops Eintracht Frankfurt intentionally gave Lazio a wrong email address so that they could tell Filip Kostic Lazio never made an official bid for him.

Kostic agent discovered it & sent the player a screenshot of the email, that’s why Kostic refused to train.

Eintricked Franfurt more like!! Lol.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Sep 2021 15:58

Simmops Eintracht Frankfurt intentionally gave Lazio a wrong email address so that they could tell Filip Kostic Lazio never made an official bid for him.

Surprised this does not happen more often or infact just dont answer the phone - now that must happen!!

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Sep 2021 16:02

Unplug the fax machine!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Sep 2021 16:11

Thats what United (allegedly) did for De Gea and Real Madrid a few years ago, wasn't it?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Sep 2021 17:56

Pepe the Horseman

Eintricked Franfurt more like!! Lol.

:roll:

:lol:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 05 Sep 2021 12:53

Sutekh
paultheroyal Liverpool must have bags of money. Can only think they are saving it up for a marquee signing in either January or next summer.

No idea if it’s true or not but Liverpool strike me as currently possibly the best run of what you’d call the big sides in the world as they do not just go out and spend zillions every window but if they do spend big it’s largely financed by other sales.

The issue though with that is that things aren’t kept “fresh” and squad depth is not as strong as it should be for a club at that level. Consequently I expect them to be playing for 4th place again while the 2 Manchester clubs and Chelsea fight it out for the prize that matters.

Given the club ethos was always to win the league title that seemingly lack lustre attitude must be difficult for some supporters to take

At least though, for them the very slim outside chance they have of enticing Mbappe their way next summer went up slightly this window.

Love how a joke conspiracy theory on the Internet has made people think Liverpool signing Mbappe is actually has some substance.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2021 09:12

Sterling not happy with his lack of game time at City, says he would consider a move abroad. That might just be now what he wants to do - can't help but feel though that there is still a world-class player in Sterling, if someone could do something with his decision-making. Is a shame he never played for Klopp.

He's a North London lad (Neasden), I think he'd be a decent fit at Arsenal or Spurs.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Oct 2021 09:19

Sanguine Sterling not happy with his lack of game time at City, says he would consider a move abroad. That might just be now what he wants to do - can't help but feel though that there is still a world-class player in Sterling, if someone could do something with his decision-making. Is a shame he never played for Klopp.

He's a North London lad (Neasden), I think he'd be a decent fit at Arsenal or Spurs.

Setting up the swap deal for Kane (plus a few quid, obviously) ?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Oct 2021 09:21

Sanguine Sterling not happy with his lack of game time at City, says he would consider a move abroad. That might just be now what he wants to do - can't help but feel though that there is still a world-class player in Sterling, if someone could do something with his decision-making. Is a shame he never played for Klopp.

Guess it depends what he wants for the rest of his career. If he wants trophies then I'd be advising him to go abroad, I could see him at Juve or Milan. If he wants to be the man and the star player regardless of trophies then I would be telling him to go to Newcastle and start the revolution there. He would be loved, well paid, appreciated and patient zero which is kind of a nice thing when you think about it, shows a lot of faith in him.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Oct 2021 10:03

NathStPaul

Guess it depends what he wants for the rest of his career. If he wants trophies then I'd be advising him to go abroad, I could see him at Juve or Milan. If he wants to be the man and the star player regardless of trophies then I would be telling him to go to Newcastle and start the revolution there. He would be loved, well paid, appreciated and patient zero which is kind of a nice thing when you think about it, shows a lot of faith in him.

That's a good point there. But I don't know if he will want to go back to another team in the Premier where he's won everything basically.

Possibly psg as can't see mbappe staying to much longer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2021 12:36

“World class-player in Sterling”
“Decent fit at Arsenal or Spurs”

:?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2021 12:41

NathStPaul

If he’s solely focused on trophies, then PSG would be the obvious choice although as ever, feel it’s a waste of a player’s career

Sterling is a player who likes to get his head down and run with the ball so I reckon he’d be a good fit for the German league where based on limited knowledge, the games seem fairly open. Not sure the tactical nature of Serie A would suit his game to a high degree, although again that’s based on limited knowledge of the league

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2021 12:42

URZZZZ

Yep. Kane is world class. Aubamayang too. Also, more world-class players makes teams better.

Was depressed to read on Twitter earlier a summation that if Sterling left City his career is basically finished. I hope we're not more broadly moving towards a view in football that if you're not playing for Madrid/Barca/PSG/City you're basically a no-one. That's just the prophecy self-fulfilling.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2021 12:49

Sanguine
URZZZZ

Yep. Kane is world class. Aubamayang too. Also, more world-class players makes teams better.

Was depressed to read on Twitter earlier a summation that if Sterling left City his career is basically finished. I hope we're not more broadly moving towards a view in football that if you're not playing for Madrid/Barca/PSG/City you're basically a no-one. That's just the prophecy self-fulfilling.

When was the last time a “quality” player joined Spurs/Arsenal? Probably is the aforementioned Aubameyang which occurred back in 2018. Look how desperate Kane was to leave Spurs in the summer. Would like to be wrong but can see a divide growing between the current “top four” and the teams below which include Spurs/Arsenal

Not discrediting either team’s achievements, but both clubs are now a step down from the others, which you probably wouldn’t have said four/five years ago

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Oct 2021 13:44

URZZZZ
Sanguine
URZZZZ

When was the last time a “quality” player joined Spurs/Arsenal? /quote]

Bernd Leno
Christian Romero
Lo Celso
Martin Ødegaard
Thomas Partey
Kieran Tierney
Ndmobele
Sergio Reguilon
Stephen Bergwijn
Ben White

All players who were considered "quality" at the time of signing.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Oct 2021 14:10

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

If he’s solely focused on trophies, then PSG would be the obvious choice although as ever, feel it’s a waste of a player’s career

Sterling is a player who likes to get his head down and run with the ball so I reckon he’d be a good fit for the German league where based on limited knowledge, the games seem fairly open. Not sure the tactical nature of Serie A would suit his game to a high degree, although again that’s based on limited knowledge of the league

Dortmund will be a good fit for him or RB leipzig. Although don't think anybody but bayern will be willing it for a while, and sane and gnabry ain't going nowhere

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Oct 2021 14:11

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Sanguine

Bernd Leno
Christian Romero
Lo Celso
Martin Ødegaard
Thomas Partey
Kieran Tierney
Ndmobele
Sergio Reguilon
Stephen Bergwijn
Ben White

:lol: they are all pretty much shite now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2021 14:27

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Sanguine

Bernd Leno
Christian Romero
Lo Celso
Martin Ødegaard
Thomas Partey
Kieran Tierney
Ndmobele
Sergio Reguilon
Stephen Bergwijn
Ben White

My fault - was meant to stay consistent with the world class theme - which was the initial point

In which case, it’s hard to argue any of those are world class. Perhaps Partey at an absolute push?

Either away, world class players simply don’t go to teams like Arsenal or Spurs anymore

10377 posts