Re: The generic transfer thread

by BR0B0T » 05 Aug 2020 16:27

I'm saying that without knowing too much about your youngsters tbf

...and obvs I'm ignoring Phil Jones!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Aug 2020 08:39

What I don't get us how clubs can apparently negotiate personal terms with a player before a transfer fee is agreed with the club.

Isn't that all the wrong way round?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2020 09:04

Hard to argue against VVD and Gomez (at his best) given their slightly ridiculous record together - which is still only something like 0.6 goals conceded per game even including the defensive wobbles vs City and Chelsea.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Aug 2020 10:13

WoodleyRoyal Well alexI Sanchez off the books will help he’s on 350k a week isn’t he?

reported as £390,000 per week basic, £1.1M per year annual payment which is his signing on fee split over the contract length (calculates as additional £21k per week) and £75k appearance bonus

They have been paying him £300k basic per week just for him to play for Inter

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2020 10:16

Winston Biscuit
WoodleyRoyal Well alexI Sanchez off the books will help he’s on 350k a week isn’t he?

reported as £390,000 per week basic, £1.1M per year annual payment which is his signing on fee split over the contract length (calculates as additional £21k per week) and £75k appearance bonus

£75k appearance bonus. Fcuking hell. A basic of £390k a week and he doesn't even need to justify being picked.
This stuff has gone beyond crazy, hasn't it. 'My client is not prepared to sign this contract unless you pay him £75k every time he steps on the pitch' (in addition to his £16m basic annual salary).

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Aug 2020 10:23

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit

£75k appearance bonus. Fcuking hell. A basic of £390k a week and he doesn't even need to justify being picked.
This stuff has gone beyond crazy, hasn't it. 'My client is not prepared to sign this contract unless you pay him £75k every time he steps on the pitch' (in addition to his £16m basic annual salary).

I was about to respond and say that without a transfer fee if you look at it from a total outlay position it probably isn't that bad. Then I worked out the numbers

2.5 years of wages = £50M, plus 3 lots of £1.1M annual payments, plus £3.3M in appearance bonus money for 45 games

What a shocker of a deal that was for them :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Aug 2020 10:26

If only my work paid me a bonus for turning up every morning

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Aug 2020 10:28

genome If only my work paid me a bonus for turning up every morning

and then when you were found to be sh*t at your job they paid you your wage just to go and work for a rival firm

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Aug 2020 10:34

BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
Sanguine Dear me, that's some pay deal.

Can't help but feel like Liverpool have stood still so far this summer, with Chelsea and United improving quite obviously (and United's unbeaten run going under the radar a little). Stood still at a very high bar, of course - but there are a few rumours that Klopp doesn't quite agree with FSG's continued tight approach on transfers. Liverpool essentially missed out on Werner for the sake of £15-20m, and the Thiago deal might go the same way. 'Curtis Jones is our Jadon Sancho' might one day prove to have some merit, but it doesn't look that way right now.

Not sure that Man Utd and Chelsea are improving as teams when all they are doing is signing attacking players.
Both still are weak at the back IMHO and should probably concentrate on that area for new signings if they are going to bridge the enormous gap to Liverpool and City.

As for Liverpool, most bases are covered and perhaps a back-up central striker is really the one area that I feel needs attention-shame about Werner but I expect he needed more reassurance of a starting place which would not be the case at Liverpool.

Assuming you didn't have the funds for Werner.

You don't really have back-up for defenders or attackers that are off the same quality

Did you pay in installments for VVD and the keeper? Guessing that's why you haven't really spent much since

I'm kinda hoping Utd do that and get:

- Sancho,
- someone like Grealish who starts on the bench and...
- a left-footed* CB been linked with Gabrielle
- Tuanzabe fit

In terms of CB's if you combined Utd and LFC it would be VVD and then pick any of the others...much of a muchness

It is interesting how we see both squads.
As I see it, I wouldn't want any of the Man Utd defenders as Liverpool starters-Maguire too slow, the right-back a bit reckless and not very good going forward and Luke Shaw very poor at defending and seems to have lost pace going forward.
You can keep Linderhof, Bailly, Jones and Smalling.

Looking at Liverpool's defence in the centre with Van D, Gomes and Matip that is probably enough plus Fabhino more than able to cover in an emergency.
The two full-backs speak for themselves and super-fit Milner plus the emerging Williams provide ample cover although there is some interest in young Lewis from Norwich as extra back-up.

I am looking forward to seeing more from Keita in midfield, who has started to show how good he can be, plus the emerging Curtis Jones as well as the reliable trio of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson and back-up with The Ox and young Elliott plus play anywhere Milner.
Minamino may, like Firminho before him, be better in his second season.

The front three are marvellous but , unless Brewster is thought to be ready as back-up, I would like to see a back-up experienced central striker maybe a more physical type.

There are a lot of young players who may develop or may not but I think the key is somehow keeping players , good players, happy if they are only in the squad and I believe Klopp prefers not to have excessive options so Origi and Shaqiri may well join Lallana and Lovren in moving on.

Obviously we tend to see only positives in clubs that we follow but when you have just won the league by such a wide margin it strikes me that not too much needs changing or adding to especially when the squad is far from being old and may well have some improvement in them..
One player who, apart from a back-up striker, might improve the overall squad IMHO is Ward-Prowse from Southampton, a player like Henderson who has gone on from being run-of-the-mill and would fit in well as a chance creator from midfield.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2020 10:35

My brother in law just got a £50k 'retention bonus' - quite literally, don't leave and we'll give you £50k. The bastard.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2020 10:37

South Coast Royal
The front three are marvellous but , unless Brewster is thought to be ready as back-up, I would like to see a back-up experienced central striker maybe a more physical type.

As a slight aside on physical strikers, was amazed when reminded the other day that Roberto Firmino signed for Liverpool before Christian Benteke.

Can't immediately think of a more physical presence who could play Liverpool's system - maybe someone like Giroud is mobile enough. Hard to persuade someone of a better calibre though than Origi when they won't start 15 games in a season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Aug 2020 10:51

Sanguine
South Coast Royal

As a slight aside on physical strikers, was amazed when reminded the other day that Roberto Firmino signed for Liverpool before Christian Benteke.

Can't immediately think of a more physical presence who could play Liverpool's system - maybe someone like Giroud is mobile enough. Hard to persuade someone of a better calibre though than Origi when they won't start 15 games in a season.

I feel that is definitely the point Sangers in that it is difficult to keep a player happy who feels that he is good enough to be a first-team regular.
Liverpool tried with both Carroll and Benteke to have that physical presence but there is a dearth of that type of player in modern day football and obviously, the way that Liverpool generally play, a central striker is very much a part of a fast-moving, fluid and athletic front line.

I think they hoped that Origi might be the answer but for a big lad he isn't IMHO that physical a player.
In Werner they might have had that different type of striker but it looks as though he needed the reassurance of being a regular starter.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Aug 2020 13:23

South Coast Royal
BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
Not sure that Man Utd and Chelsea are improving as teams when all they are doing is signing attacking players.
Both still are weak at the back IMHO and should probably concentrate on that area for new signings if they are going to bridge the enormous gap to Liverpool and City.

As for Liverpool, most bases are covered and perhaps a back-up central striker is really the one area that I feel needs attention-shame about Werner but I expect he needed more reassurance of a starting place which would not be the case at Liverpool.

Assuming you didn't have the funds for Werner.

You don't really have back-up for defenders or attackers that are off the same quality

Did you pay in installments for VVD and the keeper? Guessing that's why you haven't really spent much since

I'm kinda hoping Utd do that and get:

- Sancho,
- someone like Grealish who starts on the bench and...
- a left-footed* CB been linked with Gabrielle
- Tuanzabe fit

In terms of CB's if you combined Utd and LFC it would be VVD and then pick any of the others...much of a muchness

It is interesting how we see both squads.
As I see it, I wouldn't want any of the Man Utd defenders as Liverpool starters-Maguire too slow, the right-back a bit reckless and not very good going forward and Luke Shaw very poor at defending and seems to have lost pace going forward.
You can keep Linderhof, Bailly, Jones and Smalling.

Looking at Liverpool's defence in the centre with Van D, Gomes and Matip that is probably enough plus Fabhino more than able to cover in an emergency.
The two full-backs speak for themselves and super-fit Milner plus the emerging Williams provide ample cover although there is some interest in young Lewis from Norwich as extra back-up.

I am looking forward to seeing more from Keita in midfield, who has started to show how good he can be, plus the emerging Curtis Jones as well as the reliable trio of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson and back-up with The Ox and young Elliott plus play anywhere Milner.
Minamino may, like Firminho before him, be better in his second season.

There are a lot of young players who may develop or may not but I think the key is somehow keeping players , good players, happy if they are only in the squad and I believe Klopp prefers not to have excessive options so Origi and Shaqiri may well join Lallana and Lovren in moving on.

Obviously we tend to see only positives in clubs that we follow but when you have just won the league by such a wide margin it strikes me that not too much needs changing or adding to especially when the squad is far from being old and may well have some improvement in them..
One player who, apart from a back-up striker, might improve the overall squad IMHO is Ward-Prowse from Southampton, a player like Henderson who has gone on from being run-of-the-mill and would fit in well as a chance creator from midfield.

Your assessment of MU fb's is like me saying TAA can't defend and is only good at crossing...

Pretty much no-one gets past AWB when he's fully fit. He's prolly been overplayed this season and has had some poor games lately. For most of the season he's had no-one decent in front of him. Shaw has also been quality

I see Liverpool's midfield as functional but not really that creative

It's another year on for your aging (28yo) front free...talking about probability of injury rather than quality

Last night's game shows you what happens after Utd's first 11...totally shits the bed, just not good enough! I did go back and look at your squad, pre-Klopp, to see who he got rid of

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Aug 2020 22:02

Jonathan David to Lille for €30m. Young Canadian centre forward playing in Belgium and banging in the goals. Lots of clubs were reportedly after him. Very much 'one to watch' category.

I look forward to (probably) Arsenal trying to sign him next summer for £65m

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Aug 2020 00:05

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine
Winston Biscuit

I was about to respond and say that without a transfer fee if you look at it from a total outlay position it probably isn't that bad. Then I worked out the numbers

2.5 years of wages = £50M, plus 3 lots of £1.1M annual payments, plus £3.3M in appearance bonus money for 45 games

Arguably the worst deal in Prem history

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Aug 2020 07:22

BR0B0T
Winston Biscuit
Sanguine

Arguably the worst deal in Prem history

...signed by manager who proceeded to moan that it wasn't fair that he couldn't compete financially with the big clubs.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Aug 2020 09:20

BR0B0T
SouthDownsRoyal
Sanguine
A few reports this morning that the clubs are £40m apart on the transfer fee - United offering £80m and Dortmund not budging from £120m.

BR0bot says deal done though

will explain how it all works on Friday after deal is completed

Can't w8 for this.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 Aug 2020 11:16

Sanguine
BR0B0T
SouthDownsRoyal

BR0bot says deal done though

will explain how it all works on Friday after deal is completed

Can't w8 for this.

Nor me

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 11:58

Looks like Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is off to Spurs.

Not a brilliant signing, but not a terrible signing either.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 12:02

Hendo Looks like Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is off to Spurs.

Not a brilliant signing, but not a terrible signing either.

Decent squad option/Europa League player. I'd be a bit worried if I supported them though, they more or less need a new starting backline imo including a keeper.

10373 posts