The Non - League thread

10545 posts
Royalist

Re: Non - League thread 2012/13

by Royalist » 09 Apr 2013 22:57

After months of no mention in the press this comes back into the melting pot

http://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/news/w ... ball-club/

Can't see it ever happening myself. Just like the plans for when the Athletics club was looking for a new location.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Apr 2013 13:13

Maidenhead 0-1 Sutton.

Maidenhead hugely outclassed by a midtable side with nothing to play for, suggests relegation is likely for Hippolyte's depleted side. On the plus side, chatting with one of the MUFC directors, we had the Chairman come over and a chat about our favourite non league grounds ensued. Can you imagine AZ or Madejski getting involved with supporters like this? Non league > Premier League.

13. Basingstoke Town P39 pts48
14. Bromley 37 45
15. Eastbourne Borough 37 45
16. Staines Town 37 44
17. Hayes & Yeading Utd 37 44
18. Maidenhead United 38 42
19. AFC Hornchurch 39 41

Christof

by Christof » 10 Apr 2013 20:58

CALLING ALL FOOTBALL FANS (shameless plug for Slough Town follows)...

All we want is a football ground in Slough

A Slough Town fan has raised an e-petition on the Government website to help show that the club need to get back to playing in Slough. You may be aware that Slough Borough Council have identified a site (Arbour Vale) for a ground and were pressing ahead for planning permission, but a last-minute intervention by central government attempting to place a free school on that land has put the plans in jeopardy.

As the petition states,
We want the government to stop their interference and allow the Local Council, elected by local people to proceed with the development that the local people want rather than forcing a school that is not wanted in another borough onto the people of Slough.

The current situation of playing in Beaconsfield is far from ideal as there is no income from bar and conference facilities, and little chance to grow the club (even through they're doing their best with U-18s and Reserve teams). So, please consider signing the e-petition to show support for the proposals. Not every club is fortunate enough to have a wealthy benefactor, and this is a good chance to get a community asset built and strengthen one of our local clubs.
The link:-
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47176

P.S. Before anyone suggests Wexham Park, the following covers it:-
People often ask what is the situation with Wexham Park. This really is quite simple. Firstly, it is in private ownership and going back there is no different to ground sharing. We would be required to pay market rent, we wouldn’t benefit from the bar or conference facilities and we would be unable to become fully self sufficient. Should the owner of the ground subsequently wish to develop the facility or obtain change of use the club would be booted out and we would be back to square one.

Secondly, part of the site falls within the boundary of South Bucks Council who have previously frustrated attempts to develop the ground which is the ultimate cause of our problem.

Thank you for reading...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 10 Apr 2013 20:59

floyd__streete Can you imagine AZ or Madejski getting involved with supporters like this?

I can remember JM walking onto the terraces at Leyton Orient in 1992, when we were managerless and getting thrashed 0-4, to engage with the supporters.

Probably not the wisest move.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Apr 2013 22:32

Colliers Wood 2-3 Windsor. Last kick of the match winner. Great stuff.

Christ it was a wet night!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Apr 2013 12:48

North Leigh vs Cinderford for me tonight, hopefully.

My anorak is twitching with excitement.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2013 17:30

Are the lads with the drum still supporting North Leigh?

2 or 3 years they came to Stag Meadow (I think there were 3 of them, looked about 17yo) and beat the crap out of this drum whilst chanting songs like "we support our local team".

My 1st thought was what a bunch of tossers but I rather warmed to them and I've had a soft spot for North Leigh ever since. Despite pretty paltry crowds they've held their own in that league for a few years and usually seem to finish just outside the play off places which is superb really.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Apr 2013 17:58

Royal Rother Are the lads with the drum still supporting North Leigh?

I'll come back to you on that later.....or perhaps not, as it is ratcheting down here in West Oxfordshire :|

Must say, the idea of listening to twats thumping a drum all night have rather becalmed my excitement anyway :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2013 20:07

Christof CALLING ALL FOOTBALL FANS (shameless plug for Slough Town follows)...

All we want is a football ground in Slough

A Slough Town fan has raised an e-petition on the Government website to help show that the club need to get back to playing in Slough. You may be aware that Slough Borough Council have identified a site (Arbour Vale) for a ground and were pressing ahead for planning permission, but a last-minute intervention by central government attempting to place a free school on that land has put the plans in jeopardy.

As the petition states,
We want the government to stop their interference and allow the Local Council, elected by local people to proceed with the development that the local people want rather than forcing a school that is not wanted in another borough onto the people of Slough.

The current situation of playing in Beaconsfield is far from ideal as there is no income from bar and conference facilities, and little chance to grow the club (even through they're doing their best with U-18s and Reserve teams). So, please consider signing the e-petition to show support for the proposals. Not every club is fortunate enough to have a wealthy benefactor, and this is a good chance to get a community asset built and strengthen one of our local clubs.
The link:-
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47176

P.S. Before anyone suggests Wexham Park, the following covers it:-
People often ask what is the situation with Wexham Park. This really is quite simple. Firstly, it is in private ownership and going back there is no different to ground sharing. We would be required to pay market rent, we wouldn’t benefit from the bar or conference facilities and we would be unable to become fully self sufficient. Should the owner of the ground subsequently wish to develop the facility or obtain change of use the club would be booted out and we would be back to square one.

Secondly, part of the site falls within the boundary of South Bucks Council who have previously frustrated attempts to develop the ground which is the ultimate cause of our problem.

Thank you for reading...

Done.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Apr 2013 22:27

North Leigh 2-1 Cinderford
Attendance: 54

I generally thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to Eynsham Park, a ground surrounded by trees on 3 sides and the grounds of Eynsham Hall which stands resplendently in the background behind one of the goals. A Evostik Southern League Division 1 South & West midtable clash on a Thursday night at the end of the season you wouldn't expect to be a decent game of football but in actual fact it was. Both sides tried to keep the ball on the deck on a sodden pitch and it was 1-1 by half time, North Leigh opening the scoring on a break and Cinderford deservedly equalising.

With rare decent timing, a trip to the bar just before half time - I was delighted to see Banks's Smooth on draft - coincided with a downpour of biblical proportions which lasted well into the 2nd half of a game which became a bit desperate in the sodden conditions but it was admirably keenly contested given how little was riding on it. North Leigh notched a cheeky winner in the 89th minute when a right wing cross should have been easily cleared at the near post, swing and a miss and a tap in for the North Leigh sub right in front of me :D

Decided it was time to head for the exit, at which point the missus - a huge football fan, thankfully not a Reading FC fan though - started rifling through her bag. Car keys missing :| . After I asked firstly behind the bar and searched around the ground for 15 mins, she nipped out to the car park to find she'd left the keys in the car door :roll: .

I'll be coming to Eynsham Park again. She won't be.

FTR, your drummers were there Rother. 5 lads old enough by now to stay at home masturbating of an evening regaled us with all number of generic songs, what a treat.

Last edited by floyd__streete on 11 Apr 2013 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 11 Apr 2013 22:38

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
floyd__streete Can you imagine AZ or Madejski getting involved with supporters like this?

I can remember JM walking onto the terraces at Leyton Orient in 1992, when we were managerless and getting thrashed 0-4, to engage with the supporters.

Probably not the wisest move.

IIRC he was keen on canvassing opinion about getting Graham Roberts in as player / manager.

I didn't really have an opinion about it so carried on eating my cheeseburger with ketchup but no onions.

True story.

Christof

by Christof » 11 Apr 2013 23:12

floyd__streete
Royal Rother Are the lads with the drum still supporting North Leigh?

Must say, the idea of listening to twats thumping a drum all night have rather becalmed my excitement anyway :lol:

Aylesbury have drummers, as we found out tonight, and they are loud and annoying! Anyway, Slough beat them 4-1 in a well-deserved victory against spirited but limited opposition. Similar to Floyd's view, the football played at Step04 can be reasonably good as it was tonight, with decent wing play and no hoofing forwards, which had been the case in the previous games.

FAO Rother, thank you, appreciated.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 11 Apr 2013 23:24

floyd__streete

A few years ago we played Old Woodstock Town (I think) in Hellenic Prem at the North Leigh ground. The slope on that pitch is so shocking the stand has to built up at one end. :shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2013 23:27

floyd__streete I'll be coming to Eynsham Park again. She won't be.

FTR, your drummers were there Rother. 5 lads old enough by now to stay at home masturbating of an evening regaled us with all number of generic songs, what a treat.

:lol:
and
:lol:

It's good that the drummer boys have stuck with it!!!

I think it's the same manager there now as was in place when W&E played them - they were an entertaining team to watch as their games always contained goals. Rather open you might say.

Did Jacob Walcott play last night?

54 eh? That's good for a nasty midweek night at North Leigh. They used to be down in the 30s and 40s IIRC. (We counted 36 at the Windsor game last night of which at least a dozen were from Windsor.)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Apr 2013 13:32

... went to Nor Lye a couple of times recently: love the ground hate the journey - talked about 'tucked away'. The A40 W twixt P@xford & Witney is positively lethal early Autumn/late Spring - driving up the hill directly into the setting sun.

- saw OWT (Old Woodstock Town) upset Wantage Town (a league above them) in a Vase qualifier on a wet Sunday I think - shame is I think the FA had not bothered checking the entry forms and discovered afterwards that OWTs groundshare @ N.Leigh had ended the season before and they were only 'hiring' Eynsham for Cup/Vase matches - got an idea they'd progressed through a few earlier rounds with byes or away matches - so no-one spotted it. Ironically when they submitted their entry, they had just agreed to share for the upcoming season at newly promoted Bicester Town but that club had folded in the close season and no-one had updated the FA.
- Sadly the FA didn't see the error as their oversight and giving no leeway turfed them out. :(

Also watched OWT in a real thriller vs RTFC the season before I think - the new clubhouse hadn't been fully opened but they had a giant mobile burger van thingy with huuuge Hot Dogs and Chilli Sauce - daughter very impressed - though they'd run out of chips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week I have been mostly .....

Mon - SSM1 London Lions 7-0 Langford (@ Hemel Hempstead FC) - Lions are originally a Jewish club (formerly Maccabi London Lions) who like OWT also 'borrow' a floodlit ground for Cup games and MW matches. They have their own unlit pitch over somewhere between Borehamwood and Barnet roughly where the A1 meets the M1. Home side 2nd in the league took a while to get going - scored right on H/T then blew the dispirited visitors away 2nd half. Sadly no prog though - chap who does them hadn't turned up. :|
Took eldest with me but missus had somewhat 'dampened' the evenings enjoyment by putting an embargo on the return journey being via the Kebab shop. :evil:
Tue - CCLP Farnham Town 1-2 Guernsey - att 150+ good tussle - Farnham really pushed the illustrious visitors but in the end Guernsey had too much quality and surprisingly appeared to get fitter and more mobile in the latter stages. Evidently playing so many games recently hasn't had an effect - yet - though their previous two home matches had only yielded one point. Bit surprised their eventual success on this evening was definitely 'Route One' - Farnham weren't the biggest at the back - but slowly lost the battles in midfield and their forwards, though lively, didn't take their chances. Guernsey keeper (not first choice) pulled off a few very good saves as indeed did the home No 1.
Thu - 'silly season' game: HPFL {18:15 KO} Otterbourne 0-2 AFC Stoneham - dashed down the M3 after work (briefly via home to pick up youngest who wanted to come with me) - basic barriered/roped field in a Recreation Ground south of Winchester but with a Clubhouse doing Drinks/Snacks/Rolls and a bar (not open til after FT though). Game finished in just about OK light at 20:00.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...normal w/e preview to follow later.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Apr 2013 13:37

Royal Rother It's good that the drummer boys have stuck with it!!!

I think it's the same manager there now as was in place when W&E played them - they were an entertaining team to watch as their games always contained goals. Rather open you might say.

Did Jacob Walcott play last night?

54 eh? That's good for a nasty midweek night at North Leigh. They used to be down in the 30s and 40s IIRC. (We counted 36 at the Windsor game last night of which at least a dozen were from Windsor.)

Admirable, yes. Good, no.

Manager is Mick Gee. The rest of the backroom staff consist of Dozy, Beeky, Mick and Titch.

Not that I am aware of, scanned the team sheets but there were 22 anonymous individuals + subs as far as my disturbingly decent knowledge of lower league reserve players goes :lol:

There were 100 last week for North Leigh's 4-2 demolition of Alan Partridge's Didcot Town.

Four Of Clubs ... went to Nor Lye a couple of times recently: love the ground hate the journey

5 minutes drive for us 8)
Last edited by floyd__streete on 12 Apr 2013 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Apr 2013 13:37

because 60 of them were from Diddy.

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

Royalist

by Royalist » 12 Apr 2013 16:38

I do wonder how clubs like North Leigh keep going but full credit to them.

As for the Slough thing doing the rounds i'm not really sure they have any argument other than 'finders keepers'. I do hope Slough one day do get their own ground but over a school? I'm not sure its that urgent when the club spends thousands on wages.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2013 17:34

Royalist I do wonder how clubs like North Leigh keep going but full credit to them.
look no further than our own Reading Town I guess.

Not the most welcoming of places to visit, but despite managers coming and going, players following them, no money, very little sponsorship and small crowds, they always plod on.

Christof

by Christof » 12 Apr 2013 17:51

Royalist As for the Slough thing doing the rounds i'm not really sure they have any argument other than 'finders keepers'. I do hope Slough one day do get their own ground but over a school? I'm not sure its that urgent when the club spends thousands on wages.

The argument is not 'finders keepers'. Slough Borough Council own the land, and have planned for it to be used as a community facility (stadium, training facilities, clubhouse/conference facilities and housing) for some years now.

Late last year (I think) the Khalsa organisation put in an application to build a Free School in Stoke Poges, on the site of the former Pioneer complex. Local residents complained to their MP (Attorney General Dominic Grieve), who just happens to be best buddies with Michael Gove (the Education Secretary). Michael Gove's department wrote to Slough Borough Council 'suggesting' that the Arbour Vale site be given to the Free School.

As one of the points of Free Schools is that they are 'free' (i.e. from Council control), SBC stand to not only lose the site, but also the money gained from developing it (the housing part) and don't get any community facilities which was the whole point in the first place. Ironically, Khalsa still want to use the Pioneer site - its not them who are farcing their hand here, it's the Govt.

So, Slough Town don't want to 'get the ground over a school', they want their part in the community facility, and the school can carry on being built in Stoke Poges, if it wasn't for the pesky meddling bureaucrats!

Not sure where your comment about spending thousands on wages comes in - do you know the wage bill? Struggling to see how it is relevant to the new ground tbf...

10545 posts