The Non - League thread

10507 posts
Christof

Re: Non - League thread 2013/14

by Christof » 18 Jan 2014 12:40

You just ignore Royalist FoC, he's just a big grumpy crosspatch :wink: and keep up the good work.
First trip to a Slough game in 2014 for me, hoping for an upturn in fortunes now that most players are back from injury etc.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Jan 2014 12:41

AthleticoSpizz Cant you and he do most of this by pm?

No really...I am a little smidgeon bit interested in W&E

But, almost everytime I come to this thread..to check out the rest of the local NL

All i get is you two :D

C'mon boys...please......save me a few clicks on my mouse

Oi, don't leave me out lol.

Windsor v Badshot Lea is the only game ON in the CCL Premier this afternoon. Goes to show what happens when money is spent on the infrastructure instead of players pockets.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jan 2014 18:30

And what a performance! Best football of the season. Even at 0-0 I commented as much.

6-0 in the end was everything we deserved and some cracking goals from the Lazarczuks.

And A Spizz, FFS give it a rest. If you don't want to read it, put us on ignore.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Jan 2014 20:10

Not sure about the first half but the second was exceptional. Some great goals today.

Royalist

by Royalist » 19 Jan 2014 10:59

http://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/Sport/F ... 012014.htm

Club with biggish budget gets promoted and does well in league above. Then money runs out. Manager and players go. Heard this one before!

Christof

by Christof » 19 Jan 2014 12:58

Royalist http://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/Sport/Football/Burnham-FC/Burnhams-budget-problems-could-lead-to-an-exodus-of-players-says-Craker-18012014.htm

Club with biggish budget gets promoted and does well in league above. Then money runs out. Manager and players go. Heard this one before!

Can't survive on crowds of 120 every week at that level, Stone did a great job and will most likely find another job with ease.

In other news, Slough did finally turn it on yesterday albeit only for one half. Great to see them supporting a long-time fan who is not well at the moment by letting him be 'mascot' for the match, and a good number of current and ex-players turning up at an event for him the previous evening. Reaffirms the link between club and fans, in the same way that Windsor are trying to do, long may it continue.

Royalist

by Royalist » 19 Jan 2014 13:18

Christof is that Dave Programmes? A lovely guy sad to hear he is unwell. A proper non league character which make NL football what it is!

And yes the crowds Burnham get can't help but i guess it depends on how well the conference rooms are doing? No idea if it helps fund the club but i would of thought it does?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Jan 2014 13:42

I must admit that my eyebrows were somewhat raised when I saw Burnham's result. At least in Burnham's favour, they do have the off field facilities to help finance the club. I hope that their troubles are resolved very quickly.

Apols to going back to Windsor but for those that avoid the NL forums, here are some excellent highlights http://youtu.be/I7O-wfQ8bQk

Christof

by Christof » 19 Jan 2014 14:20

Royalist Christof is that Dave Programmes? A lovely guy sad to hear he is unwell. A proper non league character which make NL football what it is!

It is indeed :(
Lives for Slough Town, and indeed is known in wider circles. Hope he gets better and can carry on strolling round the ground with his bag and little quips :)

Burnham: rumour was that they have been bankrolled for ages, so maybe chickens coming home to roost...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Jan 2014 14:32

Burnham ex assistant manager says in the press that they knew the writing was on the wall 18 months ago!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Jan 2014 15:05

... here's the round-up of yesterday's games that were played - including a (brief) summary of the Vase which is reaching its latter stages :

Saturday 18th January 2014

FA Vase R4

1 Newcastle Benfield 3-1 Congleton Town
2 Spennymoor Town 1-0 Causeway United
3 Ashington 1-2 Wisbech Town
4 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 0-2 St Andrews
5 Morpeth Town 3-0 Westfields
6 Dunston UTS 2-1 Coleshill Town
7 Whickham 1-3 West Auckland Town
8 Larkhall Athletic 3-0 Blackfield & Langley att 225
9 Ampthill Town 3-1 Norwich United att 350
10 Hallen 2-0 Alresford Town
11 Sholing PP Hullbridge Sports – rescheduled to Tue 21st Jan
12 Hadleigh United bye
13 Hanworth Villa PP Eastbourne United –now playing Sat 25th Jan
14 Hanwell Town PP Ashford United –now playing Sat 25th Jan
15 Brightlingsea Regent 3-1 Bodmin Town
16 East Preston PP Brantham Athletic – now playing Sat 25th Jan

- So after yesterday's ties, the following vaguely ‘local’ leagues are represented in the 5th round draw (last 16) usually done sometime on Monday :
due to be played 15th Feb –
- CCL – (1) Hanworth Villa who will first need to get past Eastbourne Utd current leaders of Div Two (STEP6) of the Sussex league.
- South Mids – (2) leaders Ampthill & Hanwell who are currently 3rd but have plenty in hand of the two ahead of them – however their visitors in the rescheduled 4th round, next Saturday (Ashford United) are atop of the Southern Counties East (formerly Kent) League and have only dropped 3 points to date (admittedly from only 14 matches).
- Wessex –(1) - Sholing will need to try again this week but are top of the Wessex and expected to progress against their mid-table Essex league visitors – who’ll have a long round trip (approx. 5 hrs) on Tuesday.
- Western – (2) leaders Larkhall and Hallen – Larkhall - league record P21 W 20 D1 – so given a kind draw on Monday (ie NOT Spennymoor away) represent a good bet to break the monopoly of Northern clubs, prevalent since Truro’s win in 06/07, when the Final returned to the new Wembley.

CONFP
Welling United 3-0 Woking
CONFS
Bath City 1-2 Bromley
Dorchester Town 0-4 Dover Athletic
Eastbourne Borough 1-3 Basingstoke Town
Eastleigh 2-1 Gosport Borough
Ebbsfleet United 2-1 Bishops Stortford
Whitehawk 0-4 Chelmsford City

SOUTHP
AFC Totton 0-2 Chesham United
Bedford Town 1-4 Hungerford Town
Cambridge City {Seven} 7-2 Burnham
SOUTH1C
Ashford Town (Middx) 0-2 Chertsey Town
Slough Town 5-1 Chalfont St Peter – opener from Cornell, recently joined from Binfield
SOUTH1S&W
Didcot Town 1-4 Stratford Town
Godalming Town 2-2 North Leigh
Thatcham Town 0-0 Bishops Cleeve

CCLP
Windsor 6-0 Badshot Lea

HELLP
Abingdon United 2-2 Thame United

Ardley United 3-0 Wantage Town - current leaders see off nearest rivals, ‘Freds, in front of 105 – quite a crowd for Ardley who are from a tiny village adjacent to M40 jn 10 north of Bicester. I also believe they’ve erected the archetypal ground grading ‘fencing’ down one side of their ground, which is located in a public park and thus they may be eligible for promotion when the graders come to call.

Highmoor Ibis 3-2 Bracknell Town‘Stade De Moor’ residents take advantage of Wantage’s defeat to sneak into 2nd place – their current run of form is very impressive. Helped by a needless dismissal for the Robins, who reportedly pushed their hosts all the way. Since a surprise defeat at home to Kidlington back in October, H/I have now won 11 and drawn one of their last doz. League matches. Might be worth considering that, due to their sharing Palmer Pk with Athletics etc , their fixture schedule has a very lop-sided look to it :10 of these last 12 games have been at home.

Newbury 2-1 Cheltenham Saracens
HELL1E
Milton United 1-0 AFC Hinksey – great result for Milton who are still very much hanging on to Hinksey’s coat tails in 2nd but finishing runners-up won’t do their promotion prospects any harm.

Some concerns for Abingdon Town – still winless in the Prem - though suffering another lengthy spell of inactivity as their Culham Rd ground is currently under the Thames.

- From local news reports it appears they have applied to the North Berks League for next season. Shame as they are a very friendly club in great old ground. Perhaps Hinksey may be able to stay on as their lodgers and senior partners should they be allowed promotion. Wokingham & Emmbrook currently back in third but Lowther Rd would not be anywhere near graded sufficient for promotion.

Royalist

by Royalist » 19 Jan 2014 17:26

Does Abingdon still have two clubs? Surely thats the easy solution so therefore unlikely to happen!

Hope it's not too serious with Dave.

Just seen the old Burnham assistant managers comments. How long til the merge with Slough talk starts?!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2014 18:41

Royal Rother And A Spizz, FFS give it a rest. If you don't want to read it, put us on ignore.
Dont be such a drama queen RR

Meanwhile, Paul Brayson scores a brace for Newcastle Benfield in the FA Trophy

And a current playing (and up and coming) player "comes out" at Gainsboro' Trinity with the backing of his manager and team mates
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 19 Jan 2014 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jan 2014 18:45

Are there still issues with the Palmer Park pitch dimensions, wasn't it too narrow or something a few years back - was that sorted out?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Jan 2014 21:29

Royalist Does Abingdon still have two clubs? Surely thats the easy solution so therefore unlikely to happen!

... I think we may have been over this before - maybe a few dozen pages back - there are actually FOUR 'distinct', relatively senior, clubs playing at different grounds in and around Abingdon: Town and United (both Hellenic Premier), Saxton Rovers (N.Berks 1) & Radley (N.Berks 2).
I doubt any of them would welcome a merger BUT purely on geographical terms, the best fit would be Saxton hopping 50 odd yds over the Thames and merging with Town - they really are that close. In terms of playing quality they would probably not be markedly inferior to either Town or United but have players that are happy to stay 'local' to the N.Berks where you are unlikely to need to go much further away than the fringes of Sw!nedon or Newbury for a match.

AFC Hinksey (Hellenic One East) have been slightly nomadic of late - played for a season round the other side of Oxford at Headington Amateurs (Barton village) and have recently 'settled' at Town's Culham Rd. They had a bit of a 'bad boy' reputation - indeed it was mooted that had they not gained promotion to the Hellenic League, they were likely have been expelled from the Oxford Senior League due to their poor discipinary record - shades of Highmoor/IBIS a year or two back. :?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
... and in response to B-the-bb's point above re Palmer Park pitch dimensions: - I know they've done some 'temporary-fix' work on the touchline and corner areas, which was the issue with Peppard for STEP05 & the FA competitions ten years or more ago but doubt it would get Ground Grading for STEP04. I'm not sure what they could do, should they actually opt to attempt progress up the Pyramid - only Ardley & Wantage have applied for season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jan 2014 10:15

AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother And A Spizz, FFS give it a rest. If you don't want to read it, put us on ignore.
Dont be such a drama queen RR

Just how black is your pot?

Royalist

by Royalist » 21 Jan 2014 17:05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-25824255

Beaconsfield/Slough becomes a slightly more appealing away day if only for the novelty factor!

Christof

by Christof » 21 Jan 2014 18:59

Royalist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-25824255

Beaconsfield/Slough becomes a slightly more appealing away day if only for the novelty factor!

LOL just been in there (see Bree Louise) as I'm off to see Becky SYCOB (boo) against Wycombe (BOO) in the B&B cup with a mate - shame they can't both lose :)

Christof

by Christof » 21 Jan 2014 23:54

Christof
Royalist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-25824255

LOL just been in there (see Bree Louise) as I'm off to see Becky SYCOB (boo) against Wycombe (BOO) in the B&B cup with a mate - shame they can't both lose :)

...and SYCOB put Wycombe out on pens after drawing 3-3. Great game, SYCOB played very well and fully deserved to win. Wycombe fans getting restless...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2014 15:46

I do like it when the professional clubs get turned over in the County Cup competitions. Over my way, Colchester Utd defeated Thurrock 3-1 in the Essex Senior Cup sponsored by BBC Essex. The report on the radio mentioned the Colchester scorers but totally ignored Thurrock's. At least the regular NL round up on the radio is pretty decent with interviews and decent reports. Do BBCRB still ignore NL football?

10507 posts