The Non - League thread

10546 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Non - League thread

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Mar 2018 08:49

Christof
Tony Le Mesmer Slough Town 2-1 Frome Town

Slough battered them in the 2nd half and should have scored 4 or 5. Not convinced they will succeed in the play offs unless they get home games. Bit lightweight at the back for me.

Nice to win when behind at half time, that’s for sure. Interesting comment re: lightweight at the back, I think they restricted Frome to very few chances although the pen shout looked strong. Hoping for a nice run in the away games now, Kings Lynn on Tuesday night (5-0 down at half time last season)...

Think you look well set up for playing on 3g. Going to need to finish 2nd or 3rd. Just don't think you will be ugly enough to win away play off games on desperate end of season pitches v aggressive teams. Also spent a long time watching Mark Nisbet at Maidenhead. He hasn't changed at all, way too nice!

Loved the set up and main stand, pitch plays very true as well. A lot of 3g pitches don't.

Out of interest, what happened to Ben Harris? Crocked? I notice he never seemed to play full 90mins.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 11 Mar 2018 10:37

Tony Le Mesmer Out of interest, what happened to Ben Harris? Crocked? I notice he never seemed to play full 90mins.

...reportedly bad hamstring injury in 4-0 win over Redditch at the start of last month. STFC website states he may be back in the squad for next week's trip to Bps Stortford.

Christof

by Christof » 11 Mar 2018 19:25

Four Of Clubs
Tony Le Mesmer Out of interest, what happened to Ben Harris? Crocked? I notice he never seemed to play full 90mins.

...reportedly bad hamstring injury in 4-0 win over Redditch at the start of last month. STFC website states he may be back in the squad for next week's trip to Bps Stortford.

Yep, hammy problems about 5 mins in on a very cold day. He was warming up and taking shots yesterday so he must be close. Agree with you Tony re: Nis, probably too nice but such a good leader. Slough’s problems are often on the really bad pitches (St Ives, Biggleswade, Tiverton) and normally they are ok on the decent ones, but with 6 away games in a row now we’ll have a much better idea of the likely final position at Easter.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 07:51

The Hellenic league are piss takers. Both Tuffley and Bracknell were happy to switch their fixture to Bracknell's pitch but the league didn't agree it according to the Chairmans tweet.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Mar 2018 13:16

Old Man Andrews The Hellenic league are piss takers. Both Tuffley and Bracknell were happy to switch their fixture to Bracknell's pitch but the league didn't agree it according to the Chairmans tweet.

For a league fixture? Absolutely no chance they are switching it unless there is literally nothing to play for.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 13:18

Tony Le Mesmer
Old Man Andrews The Hellenic league are piss takers. Both Tuffley and Bracknell were happy to switch their fixture to Bracknell's pitch but the league didn't agree it according to the Chairmans tweet.

For a league fixture? Absolutely no chance they are switching it unless there is literally nothing to play for.

It is in the league rules. If both teams agree (which they did and in good time) it can be switched.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Mar 2018 14:41

But I’m sure you can see it would be unfair on the other teams fighting it out with Bracknell for promotion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 14:43

Royal Rother But I’m sure you can see it would be unfair on the other teams fighting it out with Bracknell for promotion.

On the other side of the coin though why is it ok for Bracknell to be made to play 3 away games in the space of a week due to the substandard pitches of their opposition?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Mar 2018 14:50

I understand the frustration but fixture pile ups are part of the rub of the green unfortunately.

No good moaning about it, it’s just how it is.

But I don’t see switching venues (particularly at this stage of the season when something big is at stake) as a fair consequence of a set of other random events.

But it is a shame that having great cup runs often results in damaging congestion towards the end of the season so I certainly have sympathy for that.

Surprising that Thatcham aren’t in the same boat really as they are still in the Vase and at least one other Cup....

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 12 Mar 2018 16:43

Royal Rother I understand the frustration but fixture pile ups are part of the rub of the green unfortunately.

No good moaning about it, it’s just how it is.

But I don’t see switching venues (particularly at this stage of the season when something big is at stake) as a fair consequence of a set of other random events.

But it is a shame that having great cup runs often results in damaging congestion towards the end of the season so I certainly have sympathy for that.

Surprising that Thatcham aren’t in the same boat really as they are still in the Vase and at least one other Cup....

Bracknell still have to play them Home and Away so how on earth is it unfair? It's just a way of getting the games played. We are not talking about simply swapping an away game for a home game. From talking to someone at the club, it was all agreed in good time by all apart from the head of the referee's who refused to sort out the refs " because he doesn't work on Sunday's" By the time they eventually got hold of him, it was apparently too late to switch. Sure Highworth would of had no trouble at all.... :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Mar 2018 12:27

Oh I see. I thought it meant Bracknell would have an extra home game over the others.

So yes, agreed, that’s just nonsense by the FA.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 16 Mar 2018 19:28

Saturday 17th March 2018

Forecast is 'iffy' even for tomorrow in some parts - inspections already being arranged .... NL Fixtures as follows

FAT S-F
1 Brackley Town (NLN 6) v Wealdstone (NLS 6)
2 Bromley (NL 5) v Gateshead (NL 5)

FAV S-F (All Ticket)
1 Marske United (NL1 9) v Stockton Town (NL1 9)
2 Thatcham Town (HELP 9) v 1874 Northwich (NWCP) ALL Ticket - (2nd leg at Witton Albion)

NAT
Chester v Aldershot Town
Maidenhead United v Barrow
Woking v Wrexham

NATS
Bognor Regis Town v East Thurrock United
Braintree Town v Whitehawk
Chippenham Town v Weston-super-Mare
Concord Rangers v St Albans City
Dartford v Hemel Hempstead Town
Gloucester City v Hungerford Town
Havant & Waterlooville v Hampton & Richmond Borough
Poole Town v Bath City
Truro City v Chelmsford City
Welling United v Oxford City

ILP
Enfield Town v Staines Town
Leatherhead v Dorking Wanderers

SLP
Basingstoke Town v Hereford
Bishop's Stortford v Slough Town - Rebels trekked up to Kings Lynn midweek but were undone 0-1.
King's Lynn Town v Farnborough
Royston Town v Banbury United
St Ives Town v Chesham United
SL1E
AFC Dunstable v Northwood
AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Aylesbury
Aylesbury United v Marlow - Blues won 1-0 against the other Aylesbury on Tuesday - goal on 89'
Beaconsfield Town v Ashford Town (Middx)
Chalfont St Peter v Hayes & Yeading United
Egham Town
v Arlesey Town
Fleet Town v Thame United
Hanwell Town v Bedford Town
Moneyfields v Hartley Wintney
- watched HW get a comfortable 3-0 win at Fleet this midweek in front of over 200; although my mind and some attention was oft drawn away to bad tidings from Dingle-land :evil:

Uxbridge v Cambridge City
SL1W
Didcot Town v Mangotsfield United
Kidlington v Wimborne Town
Salisbury v Taunton Town 2nd host 1st - 8 point gap and Taunton have a game in hand
Swindon Supermarine v Evesham United
Winchester City v Slimbridge
Yate Town v North Leigh

CCLP
Bedfont Sports v Camberley Town
Chertsey Town
v AFC Hayes
Colliers Wood United v Knaphill
Guildford City
v Westfield
Hanworth Villa v Godalming Town
Horley Town v Banstead Athletic
North Greenford United v Epsom & Ewell
Redhill v Balham
Spelthorne Sports v Abbey Rangers
Sutton Common Rovers v Farnham Town
Walton & Hersham v CB Hounslow United
CCL1
AC London v FC Deportivo Galicia @ Whyteleafe
Bagshot v Ash United @ Fleet Spurs
Farleigh Rovers v Fleet Spurs
Frimley Green
v Chessington & Hook United
Kensington Borough v Bedfont & Feltham
Sheerwater v Eversley & California
South Park Reserves v Badshot Lea
Staines Lammas v Raynes Park Vale
Worcester Park v Cobham - WP beat 2nd placed Baggy Lea 7-1 in midweek - for which they 'borrowed' Bedfont Sports 3G pitch

HELLP
Abingdon United v Oxford City Nomads
Binfield
v Brimscombe & Thrupp
Bracknell Town v Longlevens - Robins still chasing hard from quite a way back - won 2-0 at Brackley Saints
Fairford Town v Windsor
Flackwell Heath v Lydney Town
Highworth Town v Highmoor Ibis
Wantage Town
v Brackley Town Saints
Woodley United v Tuffley Rovers
- hadn't picked up on this but Thatcham Town have 'been w/drawn' from the County Senior Cup, giving Woodley Utd - whom I thought they'd beaten 2-0 last month - a bye to the S-F where they will take on Chesham Utd - reportedly due to be played by 28th March.
Not found out what's behind that but they had ongoing difficulties trying to schedule it - not least because of Swamp Scours but just as likely Thatcham's ongoing involvement in the Vase may have taken up the remaining available dates. The County FA are often fairly intransigent when it comes to their own Cup Competitions. MK Dons play Sluff in the other S-F.
EDIT - just found out from 'Football in Bracknell' site that the Kingfishers were turfed out for playing an ineligible player in the Q-F on 19th Feb.
- in the Senior Trophy - now for STEP06 and below the Final will be between TV League side Marlow Utd and N.Berks outfit Saxton Rovers (from Abingdon) - venue tba - the FA have usually used Abingdon Utd's Northcourt in the past but suspect they might look for somewhere a bit more equidistant between the two? Will post it when I know..... :mrgreen:

HELL1E
Bicester Town v Milton United
Chalfont Wasps v Sandhurst Town
Chinnor
v AFC Aldermaston
Virginia Water
v Holyport
HELL1W
Letcombe v Tytherington Rocks
HELL2E
Long Crendon v Abingdon Town

WESSP
Alresford Town v Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Hamworthy United v Andover Town
Petersfield Town v Blackfield & Langley
WESS1
New Milton Town v Whitchurch United
Tadley Calleva
v Ringwood Town
- Christchurch grabbed back top spot with a win at Ringwood - they have games in hand on the chasers too.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Mar 2018 10:56

Fairford Town 6-2 Windsor

Well I didn’t see that coming after 20 mins. Fairford scored 1st but we quickly equalised and got in front, looking like we could score at will.

Then suddenly our defence parted like the Red Sea and continued to do so for the rest of the game, despite the 2 CDs being subbed off at HT.

Windsor had more of the game, as many shots, and shots on target as Fairford, it’s just that they had defenders who did their jobs.

Windsor are the best away supported side in the Hellenic, so although it was damn cold and an 80 mile e/w journey I was amazed to be the ONLY Windsor supporter there (apart from parents of players and the club secretary).

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 18 Mar 2018 12:33

I drove to Woking to see them take on Wrexham.

Not a bad game, Wrexham probably the better of the two and it ended 2-2.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Mar 2018 13:11

...and here's the rest ... decided to 'sofa' it rather than risk the cold and all of our 'new ticks' were frizzed off, except Imperial Fields (T&M v Hendon) but didn't fancy trundling that far into 'Lahnden'
- mate was vaguely interested in York Rd - glad I didn't falter and agree to take him :?

Saturday 17th Mar

FAT S-F
1 Brackley Town 1-0 Wealdstone att 1250 - 'Saints' win it very late on
2 Bromley 3-2 Gateshead att 1254
Odds
11-8 Brackley Town
2-1 Bromley
9-2 Gateshead
5-1 Wealdstone

FAV S-F
1 Marske United 0-2 Stockton Town att 1500
2 Thatcham Town 1-0 1874 Northwich att 1134- 'Kingfishers' edge the opening tie with a very early pen.
Odds
5-6 Stockton Town
3-1 Thatcham Town
9-2 Marske United
9-2 1874 Northwich

NAT
Chester 0-0 Aldershot Town
Maidenhead United 0-1 Barrow att 1030 - Barrow reduced to 10 men for last 10' but Magpies couldn't find a leveller
Woking 2-2 Wrexham

NATS
Bognor Regis Town 0-2 East Thurrock United
Chippenham Town 2-0 Weston-super-Mare
Concord Rangers 1-2 St Albans City
Dartford 3-2 Hemel Hempstead Town
Gloucester City 4-0 Hungerford Town
Havant & Waterlooville 0-0 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Poole Town 0-4 Bath City
Truro City 2-0 Chelmsford City
Welling United 1-3 Oxford City

ILP
Enfield Town 3-4 Staines Town
Leatherhead 1-0 Dorking Wanderers

SLP
Basingstoke Town 3-1 Hereford – 2 for Argent - weather must have kept the crowds down – only 704 here for this.
Bishop's Stortford 2-2 Slough Town
King's Lynn Town 3-1 Farnborough
SL1E
AFC Dunstable 2-0 Northwood
Aylesbury United 1-0 Marlow
Beaconsfield Town
5-0 Ashford Town (Middx)
Chalfont St Peter 1-1 Hayes & Yeading United
Fleet Town 4-2 Thame United
Moneyfields 2-2 Hartley Wintney
Uxbridge 1-2 Cambridge City
SL1W
Didcot Town 3-4 Mangotsfield United
Kidlington 1-3 Wimborne Town
Salisbury 2-2 Taunton Town
Swindon Supermarine 2-0 Evesham United
Winchester City 3-0 Slimbridge
Yate Town 3-3 North Leigh

CCLP
Bedfont Sports 0-0 Camberley Town
Chertsey Town
1-1 AFC Hayes
Guildford City 2-4 Westfield
Horley Town 2-1 Banstead Athletic
Redhill 3-1 Balham
Spelthorne Sports 1-0 Abbey Rangers
Sutton Common Rovers {ELEVEN} 11-1 Farnham Town
Walton & Hersham 4-2 CB Hounslow United
CCL1
Frimley Green 5-1 Chessington & Hook United
Kensington Borough 2-1 Bedfont & Feltham
Sheerwater 4-7 {SEVEN} Eversley & California
South Park Reserves 1-10 {TEN} Badshot Lea
Staines Lammas 0-4 Raynes Park Vale
Worcester Park 5-3 Cobham

HELLP
Abingdon United 0-2 Oxford City Nomads
Binfield
2-3 Brimscombe & Thrupp
Bracknell Town 4-0 Longlevens
Fairford Town {SIX} 6-2 Windsor
Flackwell Heath
4-0 Lydney Town
Highworth Town 5-3 Highmoor Ibis
Wantage Town
3-2 Brackley Town Saints
HELL1E
Bicester Town 2-0 Milton United
Chalfont Wasps 1-2 Sandhurst Town
Virginia Water
4-1 Holyport
HELL1W
Letcombe 5-0 Tytherington Rocks - Rocks still without point this season - Letcombe have just signed Pagliaroli from Binfield & Franklin from Newbury Town
HELLENIC Supplementary Cup
Ciren Dev 4-7 {SEVEN} Burnham aet FT 3-3- morale booster for Blues who advance to the Q-Fs
- not aware of the draw and the League website doesn't think it warrants updating :roll: but other clubs also left in are: Fairford;
Brimscomb & T/Holyport; Pewsey/Highmoor-Ibis; Flackwell/Penn & T; Bicester/Ascot; Woodley/Brackley Saints/Highworth; Kiddy Res/OC Nomads/Newent/Clanfield '85
- League might well struggle to get all these & subsequent ties played to final two, w/o some tactical withdrawals. :?

WESSP
Alresford Town 1-1 Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Hamworthy United 1-4 Andover Town - Town open up a 14 point lead
WESS1
New Milton Town 1-1 Whitchurch United
Tadley Calleva
{SEVEN} 7-0 Ringwood Town

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Mar 2018 14:14

Reckoning Thatcham could not only get to the Vase final but win the thing. Double header with Brackley Town as well. Good day out.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Mar 2018 15:19

Sutekh Reckoning Thatcham could not only get to the Vase final but win the thing. Double header with Brackley Town as well. Good day out.

Would love them to make it. Hopefully Reading FC will jump on it and get as many of our supporters as interested as possible. Lets face it, it is about as close to Wembley as we are getting right now.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Mar 2018 15:41

Sutekh Reckoning Thatcham could not only get to the Vase final but win the thing. Double header with Brackley Town as well. Good day out.

Finely balanced at 1-0 but an interesting result in the first leg of the other semi-final with the favourites, Maersk, being beaten 2-0. Both legs are at Stockton's ground too, which means that they're 2-0 up with the home leg to come on their 3G pitch.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Mar 2018 00:04

Brackley looked to play passing football as much as possible on a very cold and very windy day. I thought they were deserved winners although Wealdstone had a few breakaway chances. Hope I'm not tempting fate but I'm keeping the Finals day free.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Mar 2018 10:21

After the conspiracy theories from Bracknell about the fixtures it's interesting to see Thatcham's fixtures for the next run of games.

Saturday - FA Vase Semi-final second leg (away)
Monday- Cup game away to Didcot
Wednesday- top of the table clash away to Highworth
Saturday - Brackley at home
Monday - Longlevens at home
Thursday - Cup game at home vs Brimscombe
Saturday - away to Burnham
Tuesday - home to Burnham

8 games in 18 days, and more to come if they win those cup games too.

10546 posts