The Non - League thread

10440 posts
Bonzodog

Re: The Non - League thread

by Bonzodog » 01 May 2018 19:40

Don’t think that National South was particularly strong this season, fully expect next seasons to be a lot tougher with Torquay and Woking dropping down. Billericay and play off winners possibly Dulwich Hamlet. Depending on the results of other play offs possibly Hereford/Brackley or Southern League play off winners for final spot.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 01 May 2018 22:29

PO results from tonight's Isthmian One South

Cray Wanderers 2-5 Walton Casuals

Greenwich Borough 0-3 Corinthian Casuals

.... So a 'Casual Affair' 8) in Saturday's Final.

No big surprises even though both 'lower' placed sides progressed away from home - there was little to choose between them in the Final Table; just a three point spread.

Oddly enough Cray Wanderers were the league's highest scorers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 May 2018 08:04

Four Of Clubs PO results from tonight's Isthmian One South

Cray Wanderers 2-5 Walton Casuals

Greenwich Borough 0-3 Corinthian Casuals

.... So a 'Casual Affair' 8) in Saturday's Final.

No big surprises even though both 'lower' placed sides progressed away from home - there was little to choose between them in the Final Table; just a three point spread.

Oddly enough Cray Wanderers were the league's highest scorers.

Cray-zy stuff.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 02 May 2018 09:18

Bonzodog Don’t think that National South was particularly strong this season, fully expect next seasons to be a lot tougher with Torquay and Woking dropping down. Billericay and play off winners possibly Dulwich Hamlet. Depending on the results of other play offs possibly Hereford/Brackley or Southern League play off winners for final spot.

Hope Dulwich can sort their ground situation out.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 May 2018 10:49

The Hellenic League Supplementary Cup Cancelled - 1 May

Certain irregularities have been brought to the notice of the UHL Management Executive in the past 24 Hours with regard to player registration irregularities. Consequently the staging of the Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup, scheduled for Saturday 5 May, has been cancelled until such time as all matters have been fully investigated. A further release will be made once the matters have been resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Sounds like someone has messed up somewhere!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2018 14:43

Aren't the Ossetts (Town and Albion) merging or something this summer? Thought I saw or heard something somewhere but can't remember where...

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 May 2018 20:10

Sutekh Aren't the Ossetts (Town and Albion) merging or something this summer? Thought I saw or heard something somewhere but can't remember where...

Yep. The new Ossett United will play at Ossett Town's ground, while Albion's ground will be used for reserves/training.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 02 May 2018 21:51

Hoop Blah
The Hellenic League Supplementary Cup Cancelled - 1 May

Certain irregularities have been brought to the notice of the UHL Management Executive in the past 24 Hours with regard to player registration irregularities. Consequently the staging of the Bluefin Sport Supplementary Cup, scheduled for Saturday 5 May, has been cancelled until such time as all matters have been fully investigated. A further release will be made once the matters have been resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Sounds like someone has messed up somewhere!

Yeah it’s certainly a mess. A Burnham player played in an earlier round for Flackwell in a different cup. Losing semi finalists Highworth also played a cup tied player.
Until Paul Shone came in Burnham we’re poor on and off the pitch, with him they’ve been ok on the pitch, he was left with just too much to do but the off field stuff has been piss poor this season (And the last couple too be honest).
A bit harsh on the Flackwell players who now won’t play in a cup final.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 May 2018 08:43

Lots of lower placed sides playing away had a good night in the NL play offs, although great home wins for Slough and Hartley Wintney in the SL.

Last season, of the 12 NL divisions that have play offs, 10 were won by the team finishing 2nd. The other 2 were won by teams who finished 3rd.

I like the new NL play off format. I think it will be extended to the Football League in the not too distant future. Im not quite sure why it has persisted with the current format for so long. it offers virtually no advantage for finishing in a higher league position. There are so many better ways

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2018 09:15

Tony Le Mesmer Lots of lower placed sides playing away had a good night in the NL play offs, although great home wins for Slough and Hartley Wintney in the SL.

Last season, of the 12 NL divisions that have play offs, 10 were won by the team finishing 2nd. The other 2 were won by teams who finished 3rd.

I like the new NL play off format. I think it will be extended to the Football League in the not too distant future. Im not quite sure why it has persisted with the current format for so long. it offers virtually no advantage for finishing in a higher league position. There are so many better ways

Aldershot 1-1 Ebbsfleet

Ebbsfleet won 5-4 on penalties and are off to Tranmere on Saturday for the semis

Slough won their tie v Kettering 3-1 with 2 goals from penalties and play at King's Lynn on Monday (3pm) for a place in the NATS

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 May 2018 09:19

Sutekh
Tony Le Mesmer Lots of lower placed sides playing away had a good night in the NL play offs, although great home wins for Slough and Hartley Wintney in the SL.

Aldershot 1-1 Ebbsfleet

Ebbsfleet won 5-4 on penalties and are off to Tran mere on Saturday for the semis

Slough won their tie v Kettering 3-1 with 2 goals from penalties.

Tranmere to bottle the playoffs again??

Good for Slough though. Hope they do it, would be great for this part of the world to have another National League club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2018 09:21

I'm not too sure the FL will move this way, though I do like it. Lower divisions maybe but can imagine there being some pressure from the PL not to move this way in the Championship. Not sure they would be happy with the possibility of the team in 8th getting promoted.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 May 2018 10:02

Stranded

I'm not too sure the FL will move this way, though I do like it. Lower divisions maybe but can imagine there being some pressure from the PL not to move this way in the Championship. Not sure they would be happy with the possibility of the team in 8th getting promoted.

Yeah, I think you might be right. There are still better ways to do it with 4 teams though, it just needs people who are prepared to change for the better. The whole FL is still mostly set up like it was in the 1950s.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 May 2018 11:18

Sutekh Aldershot 1-1 Ebbsfleet

Ebbsfleet won 5-4 on penalties and are off to Tranmere on Saturday for the semis

Slough won their tie v Kettering 3-1 with 2 goals from penalties and play at King's Lynn on Monday (3pm) for a place in the NATS

Chose to watch this one over Liverpool and wasn't disappointed! Ebbsfleet missed a pen in normal time and Aldershot led 3-1 at one point in the shootout with two match-winning opportunities spurned before they were made to pay. Amazing scenes.

Not sure I agree with the new format though - if Ebbsfleet/Boreham Wood/Fylde were to be promoted they will need to win 3 games!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2018 12:08

John Smith
Sutekh
Not sure I agree with the new format though - if Ebbsfleet/Boreham Wood/Fylde were to be promoted they will need to win 3 games!

They need to win 3 ties, not games. Ebbsfleet could go up via 3 penalty shoot outs but think it is only fair that Tranmere and Sutton get the advantage of 1 less game as reward for a better season. It should be harder to get promoted the lower you finish.

Could argue they could have gone further but wanted to keep it to a maximum 3 games. Could have gone:

1st Rd - 6th v 7th
2nd Rd - 5th v Winner
Semi final 2nd v Winner Rd 2, 3rd v 4th
Final

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 May 2018 12:09

Stranded
John Smith
Sutekh

They need to win 3 ties, not games. Ebbsfleet could go up via 3 penalty shoot outs but think it is only fair that Tranmere and Sutton get the advantage of 1 less game as reward for a better season. It should be harder to get promoted the lower you finish.

Could argue they could have gone further but wanted to keep it to a maximum 3 games. Could have gone:

1st Rd - 6th v 7th
2nd Rd - 5th v Winner
Final

Piss off mate

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2018 12:16

John Smith
Stranded
John Smith

1st Rd - 6th v 7th
2nd Rd - 5th v Winner
Final

Piss off mate

Ooh, you alright hun?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2018 14:14

John Smith

Chose to watch this one over Liverpool and wasn't disappointed! Ebbsfleet missed a pen in normal time and Aldershot led 3-1 at one point in the shootout with two match-winning opportunities spurned before they were made to pay. Amazing scenes.

Personally I would do away with penalty shoot outs in all play off games. If level at 90 then certainly extra time but just no shootouts.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2018 14:26

Also Didcot lost 2-0 in their PO semi but Hartley Wintney beat Dunstable and get to play Cambridge City for a place in the Southern Premier.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2018 14:37

Sutekh
John Smith

Personally I would do away with penalty shoot outs in all play off games. If level at 90 then certainly extra time but just no shootouts.

How would you decide games then? Additional extra time with golden goal rule? or highest ranked team goes through if a draw occurs?

10440 posts