The Non - League thread

10516 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sutekh » 19 May 2018 17:57

mx
Four Of Clubs .... and the re-shuffling commences - Andover Town have reportedly declared they will NOT be taking promotion from the Wessex Premier, citing retirements and departures from their playing squads.

That's a shame - would have been a nice local derby for Winchester City.

We only made it up to the SL SW a few years ago, because someone else turned down promotion. For teams at the extremities of regional leagues, there's a hell of a lot of mileage to do. A lot of players just don't want to do it.

And sadly there is always going to be clubs in that situation however they regionalise the leagues. Just goes to show what a magnificent job Truro do year after year in their league and how Guernsey manage to survive. Can’t really see any other clubs out of Devon and Cornwall ever making it beyond Step 5.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 May 2018 11:43

Sutekh
mx
Four Of Clubs .... and the re-shuffling commences - Andover Town have reportedly declared they will NOT be taking promotion from the Wessex Premier, citing retirements and departures from their playing squads.

That's a shame - would have been a nice local derby for Winchester City.

We only made it up to the SL SW a few years ago, because someone else turned down promotion. For teams at the extremities of regional leagues, there's a hell of a lot of mileage to do. A lot of players just don't want to do it.

And sadly there is always going to be clubs in that situation however they regionalise the leagues. Just goes to show what a magnificent job Truro do year after year in their league and how Guernsey manage to survive. Can’t really see any other clubs out of Devon and Cornwall ever making it beyond Step 5.

It would also put a big question mark against Torquay ever returning to the league if they go part time, as they'll never be able attract good enough players. I can see them losing their ground and being a typical conference south/southern league type club.

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 20 May 2018 21:01

Brackley Town v Bromley - what a terrific game. One of the best non league games I've seen for a good while.

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 20 May 2018 21:17

Watched both Thatcham win the Vase and Brackley win the Trophy. Both cracking games and a credit to non league football. All for £25. Better than the fare served up the previous day at a fraction of the price. Attendance 31000 with a decent chunk from Bromley.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 May 2018 23:38

Stretts Brackley Town v Bromley - what a terrific game. One of the best non league games I've seen for a good while.

I have been following Brackley as often as I can this season and sometimes instead of taking up my season ticket seat at the Madstad. (Something which I've yet to regret) They were really unfortunate to miss out on promotion so today's cup win was a deserved consolation

What a magnificent game and something unique for me as a Reading fan, my team winning at Wembley (missed the Simod)

I really thought Brackley played most of the football but Bromley looked pacy and dangerous up front. To equalise with seconds remaining is the stuff of cup legend but the fifteen minutes of real pressure leading up to the goal thoroughly warranted the score line.

And then penalties. I know what happens here I thought and when Brackleys skipper missed it seemed likely to be another bad day out at Wembley. So to come back from 4-3 down was amazing.

Great day out. Great game. Great victory. Let's hope it's now followed with a promotion next season.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 27 May 2018 15:13

Maidenhead pots Harry Pritchard signs for Blackpool.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 May 2018 21:53

..... STEP05&06 draft constitutions

http://nonleaguedaily.com/provisional-s ... confirmed/

....haven't looked too closely but Hellenic gains Holmer Gn from SSMP and Bps Cleeve relegated from the Southern S&W
Promoted to Premier are Ardley, Shrivenham & Virginia Water

... reprieves for Highmoor & Fairford with only Burnham and Woodley relegated.

In Div One Penn & Tyler's given a stay of execution for 1 year whilst they fight planning objections to their upgrade and base themselves at Amersham in the interim.
Wokingham's upgrade at Lowther is also necessitating them finding a groundshare at a STEP05 graded club until they are completed.
Sandhurst head back to the CCL

Odd things occurring down in Wessex & Western with the latter reducing its STEP06 league to 18 and demoting Warminster & Portishead ; the Wessex have reprieved their bottom placed side Folland and stay with 20 clubs in Div One.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 May 2018 06:59

I’ve just read that Dan Brownlie, one of the joint managers who has overseen their amazing run over the last 3 years, has left Hartley Wintney.

It isn’t clear whether he walked or was pushed out but his tweets would seem to suggest it was the latter.

He’s now joined Basingstoke as a coach though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2018 08:36

Four Of Clubs ..... STEP05&06 draft constitutions

http://nonleaguedaily.com/provisional-s ... confirmed/

....haven't looked too closely but Hellenic gains Holmer Gn from SSMP and Bps Cleeve relegated from the Southern S&W
Promoted to Premier are Ardley, Shrivenham & Virginia Water

... reprieves for Highmoor & Fairford with only Burnham and Woodley relegated.

In Div One Penn & Tyler's given a stay of execution for 1 year whilst they fight planning objections to their upgrade and base themselves at Amersham in the interim.
Wokingham's upgrade at Lowther is also necessitating them finding a groundshare at a STEP05 graded club until they are completed.
Sandhurst head back to the CCL

Odd things occurring down in Wessex & Western with the latter reducing its STEP06 league to 18 and demoting Warminster & Portishead ; the Wessex have reprieved their bottom placed side Folland and stay with 20 clubs in Div One.

Seeing that the Eastern Counties League South is full of new names eg Lopes Tavares. Some of those names though would look to be sides who should be in the Essex Senior league but I guess with so many places being opened up over that way it’s a great opportunity for those wanting to step up to either league.

The Hellenic East and West appears to be struggling for membership with just 14 clubs in each division compared to 18-20 at other Step 6 leagues

Wokingham I think were hoping to be able to stay at Lowther Road. Wonder if they’ll share with Bracknell for the season, would seem to be the logical move.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 28 May 2018 11:49

More Provisional conundrums to point out in the STEP05/06 allocations:

HELLENIC
...didn't spot that Bicester Town - runners up in Div One East - were denied promotion (again) this time round - it is said to be unsustainable for two STEP05 clubs to operate at Ardley Utd's ground (e.g. too many matches to schedule?) so the hosts naturally take precedence.

BTFC still unable to go back to their former Oxford Rd ground in the town - even though it still hosts grassroots football. The BSA Bicester Sports Association, who own the ground and the land around it, plan to sell presumably to some 'Bicester Village-like' consortium [U+I and Adalta Real] who have earmarked that area for MORE Retail development! :roll: There is some low level mumbling about letting them have use of a new facility over at Chesterton or Whitelands Farm both just outside Bicester to the SW.
A minor wrinkle on the horizon is that the other club in the town, Bicester UNITED, have now gained senior status and are more closely allied to the BSA apparently - no idea what league they'll be competing in for 18/19

We seem to have lost (on grading) : Chalfont Wasps, Headington Amateurs , Letcombe :( & Woodstock Town : this puts the future of STEP06 for the Hellenic in some serious doubt unless they can cajole a few more STEP07 sides with adequate or nearly adequate grading to move up - doesn't appear as if there are many (any) with grounds much more suitable than the four being 'expelled'. Abingdon Town are being 'dragged upwards' to Div One East - without having much about them to suggest they'd even endure at STEP07 for much longer? :?
...at least Chalvey Sports are there on merit and have more than adequate facilities, whilst they can remain at Arbour Park (Slough Town FC)
Almondsbury and Malmesbury have re-joined from the Western League and Carterton have recuperated enough to come back to STEP06.
Henley Town have 're-materialised' hadn't noticed that either!

SOUTH MIDLANDS
...what's really caused some seething & ferment under the Anoraks, is the appearance at STEP06, in the Spartan South Midlands Division One, of an outfit called 'Hashtag United'

- by some accounts a 'manufactured' on-line-franchise, who have previously been staging a lot of (worthy) charity & challenge games and reportedly are made up of pretty good quality Sunday League players not permanently attached to any Saturday Senior side.

Some other odd sides appearing in this division's draft constitution anyway that seem to have little to do with promotion or relegation:

There have been a couple of transfers in, including the arrival of the 'other' Buckingham club 'Town' from the UCL - they join 'Athletic' but for some time have been playing at Bletchley. I'm also positive I'd read one of them had folded at the end of the 17/18 season - can't remember which one! :oops:

Amersham Town have also been 'bumped' up from Div Two, yet weren't remotely near a promotion slot (finished 6th) but were the 2nd highest side eligible on grading ? :?

COMBINED COUNTIES
Southall who were groundsharing at The Gore (Burnham FC) and were champions of South Midlands Div One, have hopped up and across to the CCLP but are 'lodging' elsewhere for 18/19 (Ashford Town (Mx)) rather than taking a move back to Hanwell. That might not have made sense if they are joining the Combined Counties - North Greenford go back the other way from CCL to SSMP.

Three clubs drop out of the CCL1 altogether on grading: 17-18 champions Worcs Pk, Farleigh Rovers and Staines Lammas - with some irony replaced by :

British Airways from the Middx County League, will be groundsharing at Bedfont & Feltham - convenient :lol: - to make way, former lodgers Kensington Borough, are off to Leatherhead, (presumably dependent upon their current 'lodgers' Kingstonian finding another venue?)

Tooting Bec move up from SEIL (Surrey Elite) - use the 3G outside facility at Imperial Fields (Tooting & Mitcham). I s'pose they might be allowed to borrow the main stadium - unless Dulwich Hamlet are going to continue their temporary tenure there whilst they seek a new home?

Sandhurst Town - moving (back) over from the Hellenic One East.

Three up to Premier : Cobham, Badshot Lea and Raynes Park Vale are replaced by relegated Epsom & Ewell, Farnham & Godalming

Dorking Wanderers Reserves replace S.Park Reserves; I thought they'd (DW) left CCL1 after 16/17 :?

.... more later. 8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2018 15:07

I thought Kingstonian still played at their place, sharing with Wimbledon.

I know Wimbledon have approval at last to move back to Wimbledon meaning the current ground would revert back to Kingstonian or have I missed something happening in between

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 May 2018 15:42

Sutekh I thought Kingstonian still played at their place, sharing with Wimbledon.

I know Wimbledon have approval at last to move back to Wimbledon meaning the current ground would revert back to Kingstonian or have I missed something happening in between

Nope. AFC Wimbledon bought the ground off them some years back and then a year or two back sold it on to Chelsea. Chelsea use it as the home ground for their u23 and Ladies side. As a result of the sale, Chelsea requested Kingstonian leave.

A not very often mentioned part of the AFC Wimbledon fairytale involves them making another club homless to help finance their move back to Merton.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 May 2018 15:49

Stranded
Sutekh I thought Kingstonian still played at their place, sharing with Wimbledon.

Nope. AFC Wimbledon bought the ground off them some years back and then a year or two back sold it on to Chelsea. Chelsea use it as the home ground for their u23 and Ladies side. As a result of the sale, Chelsea requested Kingstonian leave.

A not very often mentioned part of the AFC Wimbledon fairytale involves them making another club homless to help finance their move back to Merton.

Not sure that's fair, although I appreaciate some sceptics are left with a feeling it's happened under AFC Wimbledon's watch. By all accounts (including those of Kingstonian's chairman) the Dons were more than generous to the Ks for a period of over a decade. At some point Kingstonian have to get their shit together and the money they've been given to do so mean their future is back in their hands, much more so than when AFC bailed them out from the asset stripping Khoslas.

Royalist

by Royalist » 30 May 2018 07:43

Yes AFC Wimbledon have been generous with money but they should know better than most football is about far more than that.

They forced a club out of their home into a nomadic existence with no solid plans going forward.

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 30 May 2018 08:47

Holmer Green moving from South Mids to Hellenic is a geographically odd one given their relative ease of travel to areas of NW London, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire clubs.

I don't think I will ever understand the geography of the Hellenic League

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2018 09:12

Royalist Yes AFC Wimbledon have been generous with money but they should know better than most football is about far more than that.

They forced a club out of their home into a nomadic existence with no solid plans going forward.

Sounds eerily familiar.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 01 Jun 2018 14:29

Pete WInkelman should step in and buy Kingstonian a ground

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 04 Jun 2018 14:17

Any Dads on here whos kids are into the F2 and all the freestylers may want to look away when they see that "HashTag United" are submitting a team into the pyramid
The bloke who set this up sounds a complete tool when my son watches him on YouTube:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44287961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRPL-_S9RE

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jun 2018 20:31

RFCMod Any Dads on here whos kids are into the F2 and all the freestylers may want to look away when they see that "HashTag United" are submitting a team into the pyramid
The bloke who set this up sounds a complete tool when my son watches him on YouTube:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44287961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRPL-_S9RE

I've met one of them and can confirm he is a complete tool.

10516 posts