The Non - League thread

10445 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sutekh » 06 May 2018 16:22

Stranded
Double d v2 Good game so far between Boreham Wood and AFC Fylde.

Nice to see some new faces in the play offs and could get in the League. Sutton are my favourites to go up, then BW. currently 2-1 up

Sutton will have the issue of having to rip up their pitch and lay a grass one if they go up. They are in the strange situation where it is probably better for them financially to remain in the National League. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost their semi final.

And surprise, surprise, it’s currently Sutton 0-2 Boreham Wood with 35 minutes left.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 06 May 2018 16:57

Sutekh
Stranded
Double d v2 Good game so far between Boreham Wood and AFC Fylde.

Nice to see some new faces in the play offs and could get in the League. Sutton are my favourites to go up, then BW. currently 2-1 up

Sutton will have the issue of having to rip up their pitch and lay a grass one if they go up. They are in the strange situation where it is probably better for them financially to remain in the National League. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost their semi final.

And surprise, surprise, it’s currently Sutton 0-2 Boreham Wood with 35 minutes left.

3-1.

Watching the game, they really have looked like they have not wanted to win at all.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 May 2018 22:47

Sutekh Apparently there was a whole load of crowd trouble at the battle of the Casuals game yesterday and the police were called in :shock:

... I think if Hartley W win tomorrow PM then Corinthian Casuals are promoted as 'lucky losers' with the 3rd best PPG - 2nd best Haringay Boro won the Isthmian One North final this PM v Canvey Island

Brackley progressed to the NATN Final and will play Harrogate

.... the NATS Final will be between Braintree & Hampton & R.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 May 2018 00:29

Sutekh Apparently there was a whole load of crowd trouble at the battle of the Casuals game yesterday and the police were called in :shock:

The casuals had casuals among their support then?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2018 09:13

Four Of Clubs

... I think if Hartley W win tomorrow PM then Corinthian Casuals are promoted as 'lucky losers' with the 3rd best PPG - 2nd best Haringay Boro won the Isthmian One North final this PM v Canvey Island

Lots of people apparently happy Canvey lost due to perceived unethical advantage by boosting their squad right before the playoffs by signing a pair of players from Thurrock.

Personally if the rules allow it then what's the problem? If you don't like it then close the loophole.

For the record can someone confirm the clubs at Steps 3 and 4 that are folding/demoting themselves - believe there's 4; the Osset's are merging, Thurrock are folding, aren't North Leigh another opting for demotion back to Step 5?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 May 2018 10:28

...here's today's offerings

Mon 7th May BH

ILP PO Final Dulwich Hamlet v Hendon @ Tooting & Mitcham

SLP PO Final King's Lynn Town v Slough Town

SL1E PO Final Hartley Wintney v Cambridge City

SL1W PO Final Wimborne Town v Swindon Supermarine

Middx Charity Cup Final Spelthorne Sports v Hanworth Villa (@ Bedfont Sports)

CCLP all 11:30 unless stated
AFC Hayes v North Greenford United
Balham v CB Hounslow United
13:00 Knaphill v Godalming Town
CCL1 all 11:30 unless stated
Farleigh Rovers v Raynes Park Vale
Kensington Borough v Ash United
South Park Reserves v Cobham opponents switched this AM as Cobham are involved in Promotion race - so game needs to be played earlier than the scheduled fixture vs Depor Galicia.
Staines Lammas v Badshot Lea
- thinking of having a dash at this one - 'Baggy Lea' also hunting a promotion slot - not decided about PM game - losing nerve a bit about big crowds & SW Lahnden BH traffic (was drawn to Dulwich v Hendon) - so may choose an easier option of Windsor or Hartley. Might even have gone 'Treble Anorak' and come home via Wraysbury BUT I've seen that very fixture at that venue, only a couple of years back :mrgreen:

HLP Challenge Cup Final Bracknell Town v Thatcham Town @ Windsor

HPFL –Senior Cup Final Sway v Infinity @ Hamble Community Facility

NBFL-1 19:00 Long Wittenham Athletic v Saxton Rovers

TVLP 18:00 Wraysbury Village v Marlow United

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 May 2018 12:57

Four Of Clubs

And what a great atmosphere at the St James Park.

Looked like extra time would be goalless until a late goal for Brackley gave us a tense last five minutes or so.

Whatever happens now its been an amazing season for Brackley.

Special mention to Brackley's keeper who made 4 fantastic second half saves.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2018 18:58

Congratulations to Slough Town who scored an 89th minute winner at King’s Lynn today to win the game 2-1 and therefore join the National League South next season.

Been a brilliant season for a lot of Berkshire non league sides this season; Slough back into the conference leagues, Maidenhead finishing comfortable mid table in the National League, Bracknell promoted to Step 4 along with Thatcham and Thatcham at Wembley next week for the Vase final.

In addition Hartley Wintney beat Cambridge City 1-0 to get promotion to the Southern Premier so what another brilliant season they’ve had. Swindon Supermarine won the other play off game on penalties

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 May 2018 21:11

Total :)

Thanks for the heads-up Sutekh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2018 08:40

Sutekh Swindon Supermarine won the other play off game on penalties

Long lost Nobber Dangerous will be very happy with that, he seems to be involved with Supermarine these days.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 May 2018 09:05

Another former nobber in Scrooge McDuck also has a very sore head this morning after Dulwich won their playoff, not bad considering the shenanigans they've had to put up with this year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 09:07

Congrats to Bracknell for their League Cup success against Thatcham. Fantastic win.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 May 2018 09:17

Old Man Andrews Congrats to Bracknell for their League Cup success against Thatcham. Fantastic win.

I was going to try and get along to watch this one but other things got in the way.

Good result for Bracknell after just missing out in the league but that's 2 finals lost by Thatcham now. I hope that doesn't play on their mind for the Vase.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 May 2018 10:22

Mon 7th May BH

ILP PO Final Dulwich Hamlet 1-1 Hendon –att 3321 DH W 4-3 pens

SLP PO King's Lynn Town 1-2 Slough Townatt 2842 Manny Williams winner on 89’ - start delayed for 1/2 hr to get the large crowd in.

SL1E PO Hartley Wintney 1-0 Cambridge City
– was at this for the 2nd part of my BH double: - didn't fancy crawling up to T&M for the Dulwich game & was packed solid looking at the crowd.
- Att 710 - Nick Ciardini with the only goal just before the break. Camb City hugely disappointing - big club mentality; big support, were stale one-dimensional tosh 8)
- took them until the hour mark to work out that it might prove fruitful subjecting somewhat vertically challenged home keeper 'Strudders' (Paul Strudley) to an aerial assault. By then the energy-sapping heat had done for them - HW were quicker and more lively with the ball; far more economic in defence without it - and Camb City were really hanging on 2nd half - until about the last 5' when, with their last throw of the dice, they besieged the home goal - all to to no effect.
Brilliant rise for 'The Row' from STEP06 only about 6 years ago; not long before that I saw them humbled about 7-0 by a STEP08 outfit in a County Cup and things looked really bleak for them.
I think Nev Roach & Martyn Williams take a bit of credit back in the day, for setting them off on the right course and it's great to see their homely little set up achieve such relative heights.

SL1W PO Wimborne Town 0-0 Swindon Supermarine – att 1272 SS W 3-4 pens

Middx Charity Cup Spelthorne Sports 2-3 Hanworth Villa (@ Bedfont Sports)
CCLP
AFC Hayes 1-2 North Greenford United
Balham 1-0 CB Hounslow United
Knaphill 3-0 Godalming Town
CCL1
Farleigh Rovers 0-4 Raynes Park Vale
Kensington Borough P-P Ash United - ‘home’ side called off this AM – AUFC not amused
South Park Reserves 0-5 Cobham – Cobham hold onto 2nd place on GD over Baggy Lea
Staines Lammas 0-2 Badshot Lea
- was at this for my morning 'warm-up' and it was very warm - reportedly Lammas missing several ‘regular’ 1st team players Baggy Lea probably promoted from 3rd place - will want to be up in the Prem for the opening of their shiny new ground at Wrecclesham nr Farnham sometime next season.

HLP Challenge Cup Final Bracknell Town 3-1 Thatcham Town @ Windsor att 452 – as covered above - ‘Kingfishers’ lose their 2nd Cup Final in a week – hope it’s not a foretaste of what may befall them on 20th May.
- Robins’ goals from Withers, Cornell and Legg – Thatcham : Cooper-Clarke pen

Hants Premier FL –Senior Cup Final: Sway 1-0 Infinity @ Hamble Community Facility

TVLP Wraysbury Village 4-6 {SIX} Marlow United - wish I'd gone now! :P

...hope no-one tried the early evening NBerks game at Long Wittenham v Sacky Rovers - was Postponed - presumably someone- didn't fancy it! :|

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2018 11:53

Some of the gates for these Play off finals is incredible over 3k at Dulwich and neary 3k at Kings Lynn. Amazing for games at that level.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 May 2018 13:17

Sutekh Congratulations to Slough Town who scored an 89th minute winner at King’s Lynn today to win the game 2-1 and therefore join the National League South next season.

Been a brilliant season for a lot of Berkshire non league sides this season; Slough back into the conference leagues, Maidenhead finishing comfortable mid table in the National League, Bracknell promoted to Step 4 along with Thatcham and Thatcham at Wembley next week for the Vase final.

In addition Hartley Wintney beat Cambridge City 1-0 to get promotion to the Southern Premier so what another brilliant season they’ve had. Swindon Supermarine won the other play off game on penalties

It has been a great season for local non league football. I cant remember another season like it. Windsor also had an amazing cup run, starting way back in the 1st qualy round. They won through 7 rounds I think, which is the same as Thatcham.

V surprised to see Swindon S go up. Went to their place once this year, they got absolutely gubbed 0-5.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 May 2018 14:15

Stranded Some of the gates for these Play off finals is incredible over 3k at Dulwich and neary 3k at Kings Lynn. Amazing for games at that level.

Believe also above many second division attendances in so called hotbeds of football like Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 14:20

Modern top flight football is a rubbish experience for the regular supporter these days, very pricey too. Seems like non-league is benefitting from that. Can only see non-league attendances going up even more year on year.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 May 2018 14:27

By my reckoning the team that replaces Thurrock at Step 3 with the best ppg record of the losing play off finalists is : Corinthian-Casuals

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 May 2018 17:27

Not forgetting Tadley Calleva finally getting out of League One and jumping into Wessex Premier.

Maybe, just maybe they can now do a Hartley Wintney.

10445 posts