The Non - League thread

10516 posts
Royalist

Re: The Non - League thread

by Royalist » 25 Jul 2018 09:25

The class of 92 lot are only matching the funds of the Valencia owner billionaire Peter Lim who is also a partner in many of Gary Neville's businesses.

So unless they fall out the money is safe.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jul 2018 09:42

Royalist The class of 92 lot are only matching the funds of the Valencia owner billionaire Peter Lim who is also a partner in many of Gary Neville's businesses.

So unless they fall out the money is safe.

Good point, they all come as one though really don't they? It's probably a safer setup than many in that respect.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 25 Jul 2018 11:41

Bracknell looked decent beating Windsor last night in a friendly. Windsor keeper had an absolute blinder to keep the score respectable. Bracknell obviously should of won anyway, but they looked decent. Looking forward to the season ahead.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jul 2018 14:11

Warfield ED Stand Bracknell looked decent beating Windsor last night in a friendly. Windsor keeper had an absolute blinder to keep the score respectable. Bracknell obviously should of won anyway, but they looked decent. Looking forward to the season ahead.

I quite fancy Bracknell's chances this season. They've signed some good players, have a load of momentum and are in the easier of the Southern Leagues so hopefully they'll do well.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Jul 2018 14:57

Stranded
Old Man Andrews I was thinking about the Salford project the other day and wondered if I would want that to happen to my local club, they are unrecognisable in every single way to how they were 10 years ago. Part of the fun of non-league is the scaping and clawing to get by and those great days when you have an FA Cup run or a big cup final win. The magic must have disappeared a bit for the Salford supporters.

Guess it depends on why they supported Salford. If it was just their local club, then I am sure they will find the whole thing quite exciting, their very small club moving through the divisions - signing players from the SPL - must be quite surreal.

Wears off pretty quick when you realise they're a crock of shit, if you'll pardon the expression.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 25 Jul 2018 15:36

Old Man Andrews I was thinking about the Salford project the other day and wondered if I would want that to happen to my local club, they are unrecognisable in every single way to how they were 10 years ago. Part of the fun of non-league is the scaping and clawing to get by and those great days when you have an FA Cup run or a big cup final win. The magic must have disappeared a bit for the Salford supporters.

I 100% agree with this, fairplay they have put alot of money into the club and area but with some football giants around the corner do many Salford fans want football league status or would they actually prefer the ups and downs with non league football

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jul 2018 20:17

Warfield ED Stand Bracknell looked decent beating Windsor last night in a friendly. Windsor keeper had an absolute blinder to keep the score respectable. Bracknell obviously should of won anyway, but they looked decent. Looking forward to the season ahead.

I didn’t go to the game but I believe the keeper, Joe Whiter, is 17. Our 1st team keeper, Hugo Sobte is 19, and our backup keeper Henry Poole, who played a number of games last season and performed admirably, is also 17 or 18 but has been at the Gothia Youth World Cup tournament in Sweden.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 29 Jul 2018 12:36

Hoop Blah I quite fancy Bracknell's chances this season. They've signed some good players, have a load of momentum and are in the easier of the Southern Leagues so hopefully they'll do well.

... I'd temper the, admittedly restrained, enthusiasm somewhat with my natural caution. I've based this purely upon what I've seen of that level, over the last few years and how I suspect 'newcomers' from our local leagues sometime struggle to get going.

It is indeed all about momentum - start well and the 'Robins' could well fly through this league :lol: - Hartley (CCL) were a fine example of that last term in a similar division. Moneyfields from the Wessex were also going strong till they ran out of gas early in the calendar year; and Thame from memory had a shaky opening but eventually picked up some momentum in the latter part and finished midway.

There is nothing too daunting about BTFC's opening fixtures either : ...and first up they host Waltham Abbey (11/08) - finished lower middle in Isthmian One North in 17-18.
This is followed by a trip into West Lahnden (one of 10 jaunts just inside the Orbital ahead) for the 'other Moles' - Molesey - I think they were reprieved under the restructure or by someone dropping out/voluntarily demoting themselves, before the end of last season.

However I do fully agree that they appear to have got the lucky straw in their STEP04 allocation into the Bostik Isthmian League South Central :roll:

Looking at the line-up there are probably no 'big-hitters' in that division - also certainly no 'crowd-pullers' which I s'pose isn't a great thing financially - nor are there obviously any clubs with comparatively big 'spending' powers that I am aware of.

I'd expect Hayes & Yeading should be pre-season faves, with relegated Tooting & Mitcham also likely to feature - both have 3G pitches too - I think there are at least half a doz. in this league
- HandY's 'new' stadium @ Yeading, as far as I know, is STILL not fully furnished with a complete stand and functioning bar! :shock:

The rest are mostly hardened and fairly experienced outfits at this level. They may prove to be unspectacular much like a lot of their grounds too - but should certainly be well-organised on and off the pitch.

Places I've visited that I have quite a fondness for: Egham's Runnymede; Hanwell, Northwood & Uxbridge - like many are quite standard well-worn NL 'stadia' with a lot of cover.

Ashford Town's Short Lane is 'tidy', Chalfont St P not so; Chipstead and Hertford, from fading memory, are both a bit semi-rural - I always got the former mixed up with Banstead or Merstham though! 8)

The longest hauls I think will be to Ware, clockwise around the M25 and South Park the other way, down below Reigate.
The league cup will only have regionalisation in the latter stages, could throw up some fairly lengthy treks should Bracknell survive the early rounds.
For shame somebody c@cked up and 'forgot' to fill in the form in time to enter for the FA Cup this year!! :oops: :evil:

Of the other promoted sides:
- Westfield from the CCL might also flourish - they won their division by a distance.
- Bedfont Sports followed Westfield up: also 3G and seem to have some funding behind them.
- FC Romania possibly 'different' in style and certainly can play some flamboyant stuff but I'm not sure they are prepared for the hard slog required to overcome sides who'll tighten up against them. They visit Larges on 27th Aug - BH Monday.
(They currently play at Cheshunt - so there will be two trips there - and the Theobald's Lane ground was a bit desolate when I visited last year; as well as bloody difficult to find the way in - anyone going head back south towards M25 jn 25 - having turned round N'bound on the A10 at the SECOND junction/crossroads - not the first! )

....and looking at the most local opponents for Town:

Marlow had squad problems late on in 17-18 but ex-RTFC man 'Barts' might turn them back in the right direction - great ground too if you've never been.
- the Alfred Davis Memorial Ground is a magnificent old 'trad-type' stadium with a steep stand akin to Stag Meadow's - though elevated up above the pitch on top of the bar - good for Rebllion Ales - and a belting food outlet.
...news of a groundshare agreement with Marlow Utd from the TVL coming in as medium-term 'lodgers' would rather suggest the clubs' previous but long-stalled ideas of a new ground, out by the gravel pits the other side of the A404(M) are put on indefinite hold?

I've already got three PSFs in but only one new ground - have drawn up the league games where they start, for next w/e (04/08) and will put up the preview later on. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 29 Jul 2018 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2018 18:04

Thanks FoC, excellent write up.

Have Bracknell really missed entry for the FA Cup? That’s a bit serious isn’t it given possible income for getting trough rounds.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 30 Jul 2018 00:13

Sutekh Thanks FoC, excellent write up.

Have Bracknell really missed entry for the FA Cup? That’s a bit serious isn’t it given possible income for getting trough rounds.

.... Pretty much covers the story -

https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/f ... o-opt-out/

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Aug 2018 23:40

... and with some of us having a free Sat - thanks to Sky, here's the openers in NL involving clubs round 'ereabouts:

Saturday 4th August

NAT
Aldershot Town v Barnet
Maidenhead United v Gateshead
NATN
Bradford (Park Avenue) v Brackley Town
NATS
Bath City v Dartford
Chelmsford City v Torquay United
Concord Rangers v Gloucester City
East Thurrock United v Woking
Hemel Hempstead Town v Chippenham Town
Oxford City v Eastbourne Borough
Slough Town v Hampton & Richmond Borough
St Albans City v Hungerford Town
Truro City v Billericay Town - Truro are sharing at Torquay's Plainmoor for this season - not sure how permanent; may just be some long awaited building work going on at Treyew Rd?
Wealdstone v Weston-super-Mare
Welling United v Dulwich Hamlet

CCLP
Abbey Rangers v Redhill
Balham v Southall - Southall won SSM1 by a distance last season have now moved up and across to CCLP and will be sharing at Short La (Ashford Town (Mx))
Banstead Athletic v AFC Hayes
Camberley Town v Chertsey Town
Hanworth Villa v CB Hounslow United
Horley Town v Cobham
Raynes Park Vale v Guildford City
Spelthorne Sports v Colliers Wood United
Sutton Common Rovers v Knaphill
Walton & Hersham v Badshot Lea 'Baggy Lea' staying as lodgers at Camberley until their new facility down at Wrecclesham is ready - originally set for late Autumn?
CCL1
Ash United v Kensington Borough
Bedfont & Feltham v Bagshot - Bagshot have moved a short way from lodgings at Fleet Spurs to nestle in with Fleet Town - fairly certain the rent could be more at Calthorp Pk?
Chessington & Hook United v Eversley & California
Cove
v Dorking Wanderers Reserves
Fleet Spurs v British Airways - BA a new club in from the Middx County leagues - will g/s at Bedfont & Feltham's Orchard
Frimley Green v Tooting Bec - last season the promoted visitors, played in a relatively well aspected 'cage' facility (seats & lights and 3G) alongside Tooting & Mitcham's Imperial Fields - presumably to comply with ground grading - they've relocated for this term to Raynes Park Vale's ground in Prince George Fields?

Godalming Town v FC Deportivo Galicia
Sandhurst Town v Epsom & Ewell - Fizzers move back to the CCL after 2 years in the Hellenic - all a bit under the radar this - they were a respectable 4th last season in Div One East
Sheerwater v Farnham Town @ Woking FC

HELLP
Ardley United v Binfield
Bishops Cleeve FC v Ascot United
Brackley Town Saints v Lydney Town
Brimscombe & Thrupp v Windsor
Fairford Town v Wantage Town
Holmer Green
v Abingdon United
Longlevens AFC v Flackwell Heath
Royal Wootton Bassett v Tuffley Rovers
Shrivenham v Reading City
HELL1E
Abingdon Town v Woodley United
Burnham
v Holyport

WESSP
Bashley v Andover New Street
Portland United v Alresford Town
Tadley Calleva
v Fareham Town
WESS1
Alton v Newport (IOW)
Andover Town v AFC Stoneham
Petersfield Town v Laverstock & Ford
Whitchurch United v Verwood Town

...my Plan A is to tick off one of the last remaining Western League Grounds I need in a Div One fixture :
Bristol Telephones v Calne

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2018 07:15

Truro sold their ground for supermarket development back in 2014 and knew they would have to leave once the developer was in a position to start work

The money received I believe has gone to Cornwall Council as part of the building programme for the new Stadium for Cornwall (to be located at Threemilestone just west of Truro)

The new stadium will be shared between Truro and the Cornwall Pirates rugby outfit.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2018 17:20

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Aug 2018 09:33

Sutekh And a little bit on Reading City

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... -kick-off/

Scours Lane is possibly the worst footballing venue ive ever visisted. Its close between their and Whitehawk. Mind the razor wire and disgarded building materials.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Aug 2018 22:03

True, it is totally souless

However, all it needs is a core of supporters that will frequent it.

Have been there several times for Sunday League and ‘park-team’ cup games when the attendance has been in excess of 300...the atmosphere was actually decent.

I have no allegiance to Highmoor nor Reading Town (RIP), however, I hope RC make a good go of it. Reading needs a credible non-league team.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Aug 2018 10:19

Yesterday's Round-up:

Saturday 4th August

NAT
Aldershot Town 0-0 Barnet
Maidenhead United 1-3 Gateshead att 1264 – Magpies consolation on 92’ from Comley
NATN
Bradford (Park Avenue) 1-0 Brackley Town
NATS
Bath City 1-2 Dartford
Chelmsford City 0-0 Torquay United
Concord Rangers 2-0 Gloucester City
East Thurrock United 0-1 Woking ‘Cards’ win it on 90’
Hemel Hempstead Town 4-2 Chippenham Town
Oxford City 0-0 Eastbourne Borough
Slough Town 1-1 Hampton & Richmond Borough att 866
St Albans City 3-2 Hungerford Town – ‘Crusaders’ let a lead slip away from 80’ – beaten on 90
Truro City 0-4 Billericay Town
Wealdstone 4-1 Weston-super-Mare
Welling United 2-0 Dulwich Hamlet

CCLP
Abbey Rangers 3-0 Redhill
Balham 2-0 Southall
Banstead Athletic 3-1 AFC Hayes
Camberley Town 1-2 Chertsey Town
Hanworth Villa 1-0 CB Hounslow United
Horley Town 4-0 Cobham
Raynes Park Vale 3-2 Guildford City
Spelthorne Sports 4-0 Colliers Wood United
Sutton Common Rovers 1-0 Knaphill
Walton & Hersham 4-0 Badshot Lea
CCL1
Ash United 4-2 Kensington Borough
Bedfont & Feltham [Eleven] 11-0 Bagshot
Chessington & Hook United 0-3 Eversley & California
Cove 0-2 Dorking Wanderers Reserves
Fleet Spurs 1-2 British Airways
Frimley Green 0-0 Tooting Bec
Godalming Town 0-0 FC Deportivo Galicia
Sandhurst Town 0-2 Epsom & Ewell
Sheerwater 2-4 Farnham Town

HELLP
Ardley United 1-4 Binfield
Bishops Cleeve FC 3-3 Ascot United
Brackley Town Saints PP Lydney Town - visitors coach broke down – KO originally delayed to 17:00
Brimscombe & Thrupp 3-1 Windsor
Fairford Town 2-3 Wantage Town
Holmer Green
2-0 Abingdon United
Longlevens AFC 2-2 Flackwell Heath
Royal Wootton Bassett [Six] 6-1 Tuffley Rovers
Shrivenham 1-5 Reading City - some wholesale recruitment at the club, on and off the pitch and an injection of investment has transformed the Highmoor/IBIS model into something many consider will put in a challenge not seen since the old Palmer Park days; when they actually finished runners-up to Flackwell (14/15)
- there's even talk of 'developing' some of the surround and derelict buildings within the site! :shock:
- bet the car Park is still rutted to b&ggery and the bar only has 'fruity' Cider on draught...... :|
They host Ab Utd tomorrow (Mon) night may well pop along, in the absence of anything else worth watching (don't count Villa :wink: )

HELL1E
Abingdon Town [Six] 6-4 Woodley United hat-trick for visitors front man Kai Parton-Edey made the short move from Aldermaston in close season
– ‘Abbots’ boosted by quite a few recent players from Kidlington incl. two of the Odiahambo brothers – who’ve played at a much higher level.

Burnham 4-2 Holyport

WESSP
Bashley 2-0 Andover New Street - not a great start for ANS in their first venture at this level.
Portland United 1-0 Alresford Town
Tadley Calleva 3-1 Fareham Town - Tadley’s scorers incl Simoen Howell and the ver prolicif Brett Denham
WESS1
Alton 2-2 Newport (IOW)
Andover Town 1-10 [Ten] AFC Stoneham - :? evidently ATFC's fallout from declining promotion fa greater than I thought - presume they are filling the matchday squad with kids/academy? Will have a closer look in due course.......

Petersfield Town 1-3 Laverstock & Ford
Whitchurch United 0-1 Verwood Town

..will add my travels/travails in later - sons asking for lift into town..... :roll:

EDIT : ...got to Bristol Telephones about 20' before KO - very difficult working out which of the three 'grounds' in the area was theirs - tucked up a hill on a very narrow windy lane (Stockwood) beyond Keynsham. No-one appeared to be 'warming up' on main pitch and hardly any cars parks around there. Quick google and they'd done a late switch of the fixture to visitors ground (Calne) - pitch too dry.
Looked at alternatives - there are lots in that part of Brizzle.
- Keynsham: obvious one added bonus of 3G so unlikely to be weather-affected - but they'd played the night before :|
- Hengrove: nearest and new tick for my mate - was postponed - too dry!
Settled on Bitton 2-0 Clevedon Town- and re-encountered one of the more impenetrable surrounds to a pitch you'll find at STEP05. Share the complex with Cricket, which was in full flow and the entrance to the football is zig-zagged away behind the clubhouse and nursery virtually from the outfield - about 'deep long on'. Presumably to avoid any possible inter-disciplinary confusion, they remove ALL signs to either sport! Very hot for spectating but both sides put in an honest shift.
Have to leave Telephones (again) for another time - possibly the 4th failed attempt to get there = previously rained off/flooded - it's on top of a bleedin' hill for f£c&s sake! :evil:
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 05 Aug 2018 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Aug 2018 10:32

Yep, the car park is as bad as ever....was there just a few weeks ago.

Ex Reading youngster Mitch Parker bagged 3 out of their 5 yesterday and should be a key component in their master plan, may well go and check them out sometime soon.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Aug 2018 11:27

Brimscombe and Thrupp 3-1 Windsor

Made the long journey for the 1st league game of the season and saw pretty much what I expected, a plucky performance from a very young Windsor team (including 3 who’ve come in from nowhere this week to bolster numbers) with lots of skill and pace but lacking in know-how.

3 of our key players are suspended, 2 injured and 1 on holiday so the team will look quite different in a few weeks’ time.

The ref gave us very little it has to be said - their keeper couldn’t believe they go away with a couple of close calls. His view, “the refs are awful at this level, no consistency. But this week it was our turn to get lucky, next week it’ll go against us you can be sure”.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 08:14

Binfield are my pick to win the league the Hellenic this season, this is their year.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 Aug 2018 12:25

Old Man Andrews Binfield are my pick to win the league the Hellenic this season, this is their year.

... not an outrageous punt a good indicator would be how they fare tomorrow night up @ Wantage , I expect they will be contenders again this term and they've done it before.

Bit of a vacuum in stand-out quality in the Premier this season - last season's top three were a country mile beyond the rest with only really The Freds hanging on to the vapour trails as it were.

So maybe title is up for grabs - not sure Moles have sufficient grading nor backing currently, to step up but given enough ambition from their board its not unattainable.

Rog had usually got a good eye for talent and THIS season there aren't any rivals within the division to cherry-pick his crop.

Id expect Flackwell & RG City to contend with one of the more westerly clubs maybe RWBT or B&T.

...Tonight I'm off to see what the new regime at Scours have provided on the pitch.

10516 posts