The Non - League thread

10442 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sanguine » 01 May 2019 10:22

Might have been noted already, but Basingstoke went down having score 81 league goals, the seventh highest in the division. Unfortunately they conceded 82, which is more than anyone but hapless Staines.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 01 May 2019 12:00

Sutekh
Royal Rother For someone who likes to stand, Larges Lane is a horrible ground to watch football at. I’d far rather go to Raynes Park Vale or Colliers Wood than that shiny plastic dump.

Bit of rise Bracknell could be on here. Now 1 win away from step 3 football for the fist time in 20 years or so. Only 4(?) years ago they were at Step 6. IF they do make it up then it's going to be very interesting to see how they hold up and whether they will have the finances for a squad that would be comfortable at that level.

Perhaps the biggest footballing success story in Berkshire this season?

By the way, nice to see BBC Berks totally blank all football below the national league South unless there's someone in the final stages of a national cup run. You'd think the likes of step 3/4 clubs (at the very least) in their area (e.g. Bracknell, Hartley Wintney, etc.) would be worth at least a mention now and again given the recent success at both clubs. Presume they're no different from most other local radio stations though.

What I'd like to see is BBC Berks shit themselves if another Berks club made it into the FL. Which isn't massively out of the realms of possibility with 3 clubs in step 1 and 2. Suddenly they'd need to do football coverage that isn't Reading-Centric. Even a discussion and interview with the Hungerford management about their survival Aidy managed to turn round to talk about how well Reading had done to stay up.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 May 2019 12:35

Sanguine Might have been noted already, but Basingstoke went down having score 81 league goals, the seventh highest in the division. Unfortunately they conceded 82, which is more than anyone but hapless Staines.

Outrageous that this team got themselves relegated. Poorly run, now no ground and only one step above Tadley lol.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 01 May 2019 13:28

paultheroyal
Sanguine Might have been noted already, but Basingstoke went down having score 81 league goals, the seventh highest in the division. Unfortunately they conceded 82, which is more than anyone but hapless Staines.

Outrageous that this team got themselves relegated. Poorly run, now no ground and only one step above Tadley lol.

Yep - went to a few games this season (each under a different manager) and there was near enough a completely different starting 11 every time. I thought when Martin Kuhl came in he'd be experienced enough to address the defensive organisation issues that were so clear to anyone all season. Think he tried a few different 'keepers, but that wasn't the root of the problem.

Anyway - onwards and up*wards. Community ownership that no one seems to want to step up to the plate and organise.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 May 2019 16:21

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother For someone who likes to stand, Larges Lane is a horrible ground to watch football at. I’d far rather go to Raynes Park Vale or Colliers Wood than that shiny plastic dump.

Complete nonsense. One of the best places to watch football in Berkshire. Blatant trolling.

A bit too cramped and sterile for my liking, but it is a good facility.

They'll surely need get their new ground in place if they want to progress any further though won't they?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 May 2019 16:24

Old Man Andrews The money is there for a push again next season. I do like the current bunch of players but they could do with a few younger, fitter bodies in the starting 11, especially in defence. The real key to success is if the club can find a new permanent home somewhere, Larges Lane just can't cope with the traffic and amount of games that are held at the ground, residents hate it. Club need to find somewhere that can house a club of their increasing size and sell off Larges Lane, got to be worth around £6m.

They're not going to sell off Larges Lane though are they? It's an ongoing facility that they'd keep on the go as and when they push forward with the plans for the new ground wouldn't they? Or has that all been shelved now?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 May 2019 16:27

I'd totally missed them getting relegated, let alone their record in doing so. I thought they'd pulled a little clear when I looked last.

Sam Argent is a cracking player, but I now see he was ruled out for the rest of the season back in March. That won't have helped their cause.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 16:28

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews The money is there for a push again next season. I do like the current bunch of players but they could do with a few younger, fitter bodies in the starting 11, especially in defence. The real key to success is if the club can find a new permanent home somewhere, Larges Lane just can't cope with the traffic and amount of games that are held at the ground, residents hate it. Club need to find somewhere that can house a club of their increasing size and sell off Larges Lane, got to be worth around £6m.

They're not going to sell off Larges Lane though are they? It's an ongoing facility that they'd keep on the go as and when they push forward with the plans for the new ground wouldn't they? Or has that all been shelved now?

They were going to go and build a multisport facility next to Larges Lane and sell off the current ground. There has been a lot of opposition to this though from residence and it's all gone very quiet on that front. Residents have caused no end of shit recently. Larges Lane will 100% be sold though to fund any future new ground, it's a goldmine.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 May 2019 16:40

Old Man Andrews They were going to go and build a multisport facility next to Larges Lane and sell off the current ground. There has been a lot of opposition to this though from residence and it's all gone very quiet on that front. Residents have caused no end of shit recently. Larges Lane will 100% be sold though to fund any future new ground, it's a goldmine.

Oh. That's quite different to the plans I remember that kept Larges Lane, either as a 3G facility in addition to a new first team ground on the Ranelagh School grounds, or continue to be developed to keep the first team there.

It's a long time since I paid any attention to those plans though, so I could have that all wrong.

Edit: More info here https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/features/interviews/38406/bracknell-town-actively-looking-for-new-home-to-support-national-league-goal/

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 16:55

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews They were going to go and build a multisport facility next to Larges Lane and sell off the current ground. There has been a lot of opposition to this though from residence and it's all gone very quiet on that front. Residents have caused no end of shit recently. Larges Lane will 100% be sold though to fund any future new ground, it's a goldmine.

Oh. That's quite different to the plans I remember that kept Larges Lane, either as a 3G facility in addition to a new first team ground on the Ranelagh School grounds, or continue to be developed to keep the first team there.

It's a long time since I paid any attention to those plans though, so I could have that all wrong.

Edit: More info here https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/features/interviews/38406/bracknell-town-actively-looking-for-new-home-to-support-national-league-goal/

You're right, the plans were always to move to Ranelagh but I was always under the impression Larges Lane would be sold to developers. No reason why the club couldn't do a smaller development at Ranelagh for the junior sides and have a new stadium elsewhere. Just no idea where that could be though. Bracknell is really low on green space in the centre of town which is where I imagine the club would want to be due to the transport links. Garth Hill school have a large playing field that is just behind the main school site which could be an option but it's in a heavily residential area. Imagine the uproar when it comes to noise and floodlights etc. Outside of town there are plenty of fields and open space but quite away from the transport links.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 May 2019 17:55

More farcical arrangements in the play-offs, this time in the Southern League Premier Central, where both semis have been postponed due to Stratford Town apparently using an illegible player. A points deduction could see Coalville take their place.

The worst part is that apparently this offence took place in February, but they've not dealt with it until now.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 May 2019 18:09

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews

Complete nonsense. One of the best places to watch football in Berkshire. Blatant trolling.

A bit too cramped and sterile for my liking, but it is a good facility.

They'll surely need get their new ground in place if they want to progress any further though won't they?

No trolling from me, I really dislike watching football there. It is ridiculously cramped (as HB says) and all on one level with no elevation anywhere (not even a single step) except for the stand which is not for me as I prefer to stand.

It’s shiny and new but absolutely not my cuppa.

PS As for “The Chairman’s Office” sign on the glass partitioning that everyone has to walk past.... :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 May 2019 18:39

Old Man Andrews You're right, the plans were always to move to Ranelagh but I was always under the impression Larges Lane would be sold to developers.

This is what I was thinking of: https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/news/club-news/30948/bracknell-town-unveil-ambitious-plans-larges-lane-ranelagh-school/

Perhaps the plan was to sell it off, but not the public plan...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2019 18:56

[code][/code]
Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

They were going to go and build a multisport facility next to Larges Lane and sell off the current ground. There has been a lot of opposition to this though from residence and it's all gone very quiet on that front. Residents have caused no end of shit recently. Larges Lane will 100% be sold though to fund any future new ground, it's a goldmine.

No sympathy for residents who move near a football club that is already there and has been for over 100 years and then start complaining because the club has the temerity to host football matches and the odd evening event. Or do Bracknell go over the top and host evening events and over the top loud music every other night?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 19:28

Sutekh [code][/code]
Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

No sympathy for residents who move near a football club that is already there and has been for over 100 years and then start complaining because the club has the temerity to host football matches and the odd evening event. Or do Bracknell go over the top and host evening events and over the top loud music every other night?

Nope. They have banned all that for the sake of the residents. Don't even play music over the PA before, during or after a game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2019 20:05

Sutekh By the way, nice to see BBC Berks totally blank all football below the national league South unless there's someone in the final stages of a national cup run. You'd think the likes of step 3/4 clubs (at the very least) in their area (e.g. Bracknell, Hartley Wintney, etc.) would be worth at least a mention now and again given the recent success at both clubs. Presume they're no different from most other local radio stations though.
very much this.

About a dozen years ago (probably under the tenure of Joel Hufford) their Saturday football slot included all of the local results...Reading Town right down to your Frilsham & Yattendon reserves...for those that either played or were keeping tabs on their village team, it was great coverage. Like it or not, they even had brief scoreline reports of our three local rugby teams, and not just our W London interlopers.

A bit of a shame that we have to listen to back-slapping phone-ins and to the recent poorly intonated jingles instead, only listen to the end whilst waiting for the ‘Stereo Underground’ that follows it 8)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 May 2019 20:11

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh [code][/code]
Old Man Andrews

Nope. They have banned all that for the sake of the residents. Don't even play music over the PA before, during or after a game.

I remember at the Tibet CONIFA game, the Tibet players sang the national anthem, as it couldn't be played over the PA system.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2019 21:18

C’mon AFC Fylde

Would look nice alongside the Bradfords and the Southends FL fixture lists

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 May 2019 09:32

Gibbs Cup Final tonight at Thatcham Town. 6.30 KO.

Windsor Boys’ School U18 v Reading School U18

Despite being an ex Reading School boy I shall be supporting WBS, seeing as my daughter goes there and some of the lads are in the Windsor FC squad.

Worth a visit for anyone local.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 May 2019 11:27

AthleticoSpizz C’mon AFC Fylde

Would look nice alongside the Bradfords and the Southends FL fixture lists

Yah, here's to 4 league clubs in the arse end of Lancashire.

Preferable to Salford City though. There's something distasteful about paying Championship wages in the Conference.

10442 posts