The Non - League thread

10521 posts
Warfield ED Stand

Re: The Non - League thread

by Warfield ED Stand » 24 Apr 2018 15:07

Off to Scours Lane tonight to watch Bracknell get promoted. Get it sorted tonight so I can miss the final game on Sat and watch Reading through my fingers instead.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Apr 2018 15:30

Royal Rother Windsor's pre-season hasn't exactly been exciting so far but apart from a few old heads the squad is so young it's going to be a bit hit and miss.

Barry Hayles will be interesting - although he's bound to score a few at this level I assume, at 45yo, he will be a 30 minute man.

If the bunch of teenagers we have are prepared to listen then they will learn a lot from him and that could mean a better 2nd half of the season.

Talent wise I doubt there will be any stronger squad in the Hellenic but 75% of the starters will be teenagers and as we know, you win nowt with kids.

Slow start, 13th half way, ending up 8th. Keep the squad together and 2018/19 we'll get promoted.

Star players Jack Denton and Paul Coyne.

My prediction pre-season.... We’ve been as low as 13th and now sit 8th. And Jack Denton got POTS.

Not bad, but we won’t get promoted next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Apr 2018 16:49

Royal Rother Not bad, but we won’t get promoted next season.

All in all a good season for Windsor though RR? A great Vase run and some good moments in the league from what I've read.

Thoughts on the Hellenic now you've been through a full season? Standard, facilities and league organisation similar, better or worse than the CCL?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Apr 2018 17:27

Warfield ED Stand Off to Scours Lane tonight to watch Bracknell get promoted. Get it sorted tonight so I can miss the final game on Sat and watch Reading through my fingers instead.

Or go down to Lydney on Thursday.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Apr 2018 18:03

Sutekh
Warfield ED Stand Off to Scours Lane tonight to watch Bracknell get promoted. Get it sorted tonight so I can miss the final game on Sat and watch Reading through my fingers instead.

A draw will effectively be enough, unless Wantage can turn round a 35 goal GD deficit in two matches.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Apr 2018 20:22

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother Not bad, but we won’t get promoted next season.

All in all a good season for Windsor though RR? A great Vase run and some good moments in the league from what I've read.

Thoughts on the Hellenic now you've been through a full season? Standard, facilities and league organisation similar, better or worse than the CCL?

Oh I’ve certainly enjoyed it. The Vase Run including 2 late comeback wins against supposedly superior opposition were amongst my best moments as a football supporter, up there with the Simod Cup Final and 4-3 v Plymouth.

We have brought through another bunch of home grown teenagers which is good to see, and the 4 or 5 who stayed with us from last season have all done well.

Lots to be positive about but without a budget....

As for the league as a whole, no real difference to the CCL for me. Just a lot more miles. It’s been fun in its way, especially visiting towns and villages in Gloucester I’d never even heard of but overall I’m one of the few who would favour a return to the CCL. The gates are terrible at most teams. Bracknell and Thatcham have been pretty well supported but they have squads that are too good for the league and have won nearly every game so that’s not a shock, but outside of them and Windsor hardly any team gets anywhere near 100. Most seem to be around 40 or 50.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 24 Apr 2018 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Apr 2018 21:50

tmesis
Sutekh

A draw will effectively be enough, unless Wantage can turn round a 35 goal GD deficit in two matches.

Stranger things have happ..... No they haven't.

Bracknell have done it! Well done everyone!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 09:21

Following a 2-0 win at at Woodley on Tuesday and then a 7-1 hammering of Lydney last night the game will be on at Larges Lane tomorrow as a 10-0 win over Tuffley will land Bracknell the title :lol:

Magnificent league season for both them and Thatcham though, Over 100 goals scored and both likely to finish tied on 98 points following Thatcham's final game 2-0 win over Brackley last night..

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Apr 2018 09:29

Sutekh Following a 2-0 win at at Woodley on Tuesday and then a 7-1 hammering of Lydney last night the game will be on at Larges Lane tomorrow as a 10-0 win over Tuffley will land Bracknell the title :lol:

Magnificent league season for both them and Thatcham though, Over 100 goals scored and both likely to finish tied on 98 points following Thatcham's final game 2-0 win over Brackley last night..

Its great that both get to go up this season. Only having one go up after this season would have been a huge injustice. Hopefully both sides can kick on from here and establish themselves at the next level.

Anyone have a rough idea on the difference in levels? Will Bracknell and Thatcham cope well next season? On the face of it I'd say yes but I am no expert on the Southern League.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 09:38

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh Following a 2-0 win at at Woodley on Tuesday and then a 7-1 hammering of Lydney last night the game will be on at Larges Lane tomorrow as a 10-0 win over Tuffley will land Bracknell the title :lol:

Its great that both get to go up this season. Only having one go up after this season would have been a huge injustice. Hopefully both sides can kick on from here and establish themselves at the next level.

Anyone have a rough idea on the difference in levels? Will Bracknell and Thatcham cope well next season? On the face of it I'd say yes but I am no expert on the Southern League.

Last time Bracknell were at SL1 level they struggled every season they were there and only survived on a couple of occasions due to other sides dropping out therefore it cant be much worse for them next season (I presume they'll get dumped into SL 1 East rather than the Isthmian). In fact apart from about 3 years in the mid 80s I think Bracknell have always struggled at step 4.

Thatcham should do well based on this season. I imagine they'll be in South 1 West so the two sides won't play each other in te league next year.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 27 Apr 2018 10:26

If Bracknell win 10-0 tomorrow and I'm sat at the Mad Stad watching the normal shite I will not be happy!!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Apr 2018 10:30

Tuffley are no mugs, just don't see anything like a 10-0 win to be honest.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 27 Apr 2018 10:50

Old Man Andrews Tuffley are no mugs, just don't see anything like a 10-0 win to be honest.

Missed their chance against Woodley. Really didn't play well at all. If they had won that 5/6 then who knows. Still, all about promotion!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Apr 2018 10:58

Warfield ED Stand
Old Man Andrews Tuffley are no mugs, just don't see anything like a 10-0 win to be honest.

Missed their chance against Woodley. Really didn't play well at all. If they had won that 5/6 then who knows. Still, all about promotion!

From what I remember I think Tuffley have an excellent keeper. Not sure if he's still there or not though. Should be quite an exciting game tomorrow though whatever happens. Bracknell have nothing to lose.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 14:19

Warfield ED Stand

Even if they had won 5/6 at Woodley they'd still need to beat Tuffley by at least the same margin and sadly Tuffley aren't a Burnham, they're one of the better sides at Hellenic Premier level and, if the same fixture last season is anything to go by, then I would say that the best Bracknell could hope for would be a 3 goal win. Bracknell would probably need a couple of Tuffley dismissals in the 1st half to stand a chance of racking anything more than that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2018 16:33

Is the Tuffley game one of those that Bracknell were upset about not being switched during all the wet weather?

It would be ironic (if it was) that having this game left to play to home allowed them to win the league knowing the goal difference they need to make up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 16:55

Hoop Blah Is the Tuffley game one of those that Bracknell were upset about not being switched during all the wet weather?

It would be ironic (if it was) that having this game left to play to home allowed them to win the league knowing the goal difference they need to make up.

No, think that one was the Lydney one.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Apr 2018 20:22

.... more or less the last regular Saturday for NL ...though some STEP06 leagues and below, as well as a few others have some dregs to polish off. Plenty of Local Cup Finals to consider for the next couple of weeks too.....

The PO line-ups should be clearer and I'll try and post up the matches on Sun together with likely the ups/downs - some of these could be subject to confirmation with reprieves and demotions - there is already some probability that a couple of STEP05 divisions may be promoting 3rd placed teams, based on PPG (Points Per Game) :

Sat 28th April

NAT all 12:30 KOs
Maidenhead United v Bromley
Sutton United v Aldershot Town
Woking v Dover Athletic - live on BT sport - 'Cards' must win and have to hope Barrow slip up vs Chester :?
- Tranmere confirmed runners-up and escape the first round of POs. 3rd place is between Sutton , Sh!ts and Ebbsfleet with the other confirmed PO spots held by Fylde and Boreham Wood. There are three others who can possibly crash into the mix : Bromley, Dover and Wrexham.

NATN
Brackley Town v York City
NATS
Bath City v St Albans City
Bognor Regis Town v Dartford
Braintree Town v Gloucester City
Chippenham Town v Welling United
East Thurrock United v Hungerford Town 'Crusaders' probably need to equal or beat Poole's result at home to Oxford to survive, their GD is 4 better so defeat by 3 or less and and draw at Tatnam would also be enough.

Eastbourne Borough v Chelmsford City
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Truro City
Havant & Waterlooville v Concord Rangers
Poole Town v Oxford City
Weston-super-Mare v Hemel Hempstead Town
Whitehawk v Wealdstone
- the POs are more complex at STEP01 & 02, as they have introduced a ranked KO system : with 2nd & 3rd awaiting the winners of two PO games between 4th-7th to produce Semi-Finals. The title isn't sewn up yet either with leaders Havant and Dartford only separated by 3 goals.
- Havant host Concord and Dartford go to relegated Bognor
- in PO contention then are Hampton & R, Chelmsford, Hemel, Truro & Braintree - though StAlebuns could edge into 6th with a big win @ Bath and dislodge one of the last two.
- Truro travel to Hampton & Braintree host Gloucester.

ILP
Dorking Wanderers v Lowestoft Town
Staines Town v Thurrock
- Premier : Billericay promoted - Dulwich Hamlet have home advantage in the POs; Folkestone & Hendon join them - together with Leiston unless Margate can turn around a significant GD.
- One South: Title between Carshalton or long-time leaders Lewes; Greenwich Boro & Cray Wanderers confirmed in the POs barring a GD swing of stellar proportions, leaving Corinthian-Casuals, Hythe Town and Walton Casuals to vie for the final slot - intriguingly the first two meet tomorrow at Hythe.

SLP
Basingstoke Town v Kings Langley
Chesham Utd v King's Lynn Town
Kettering Town v Farnborough
Slough Town v Royston Town - no confirmed line-ups until after Sat as all four could swap about but Rebels will contest the POs with Kettering , Kings Lynn & Weymouth
Tiverton Town v Banbury United
SL1E
AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Ashford Town (Middx)
Arlesey Town v Uxbridge
Aylesbury v Northwood
Bedford Town v Fleet Town
Chalfont St Peter
v Egham Town
Hartley Wintney
v Aylesbury United - Hartley in POs with HandY, Camb City & AFC Dunstable - will start with home tie vs one of the latter two - probaby next midweek
Hayes & Yeading United v Barton Rovers
Marlow v Beaconsfield Town - visitors need to better AFC R&D's result to claim the title; both clubs promoted.
Thame United v Kempston Rovers
SL1W
Bideford v Winchester City
Didcot Town v Paulton Rovers
Kidlington v Mangotsfield United
North Leigh v Larkhall Athletic
Swindon Supermarine v Barnstaple Town
- Taunton champions, Salibury runners-up and promoted with them
- PO spots bit more open than the other leagues with Diddy, Supemarine, Evesham joining Wimborne who are confirmed as taking part - but Cirencester, Bristol MF & Bideford might still creep in and displace any of these three.

CCLP
Abbey Rangers v Westfield
Bedfont Sports v Walton & Hersham
Camberley Town v Redhill
Colliers Wood United v Banstead Athletic
Epsom & Ewell v AFC Hayes
Farnham Town v Balham
Godalming Town v Hanworth Villa
Horley Town v Sutton Common Rovers
North Greenford United v Chertsey Town
Spelthorne Sports v CB Hounslow United
CCL1
Ash United v Cove
Bagshot
v Cobham
Chessington & Hook United v Fleet Spurs
Raynes Park Vale v FC Deportivo Galicia
Sheerwater v Kensington Borough
South Park Reserves v Eversley & California
Staines Lammas v Farleigh Rovers
Worcester Park v AC London

HLP
Abingdon United v Highmoor Ibis
Brackley Town Saints v Fairford Town at Fairford
Bracknell Town v Tuffley Rovers
Burnham v Wantage Town
Flackwell Heath v Brimscombe & Thrupp
Lydney Town v Windsor
Woodley United v Longlevens
HL1E
Virginia Water v Thame Rangers - saw VW pick up the league Championship last night at Stag Meadow - despatched a pretty under-strength and generally lack-lustre Aldermaston 4-0.
Wokingham & Emmbrook v AFC Aldermaston
HL1W
Easington Sports v Letcombe
- sadly, recently featured Tytherington Rocks' failed to get a point in their final match - took the lead but were soundly beaten 4-1 by New College Swindon, ending the season : P26 L26 GD - 133

HL2E Long Crendon v Abingdon Town
- also hearing some depressing rumbles that Town have found the return to the pyramid a bit too much for them - in the final few weeks of the season they have evidently been unable to sustain a viable playing squad - culminated in that horrendous 17-0 reverse against their nearest neighbours' Development side last month. They've limped through their final few league games suffering some more very heavy defeats. It may appear that at best they'll slump back into the N.Berks but may dissolve into another period of hiaitus :cry:

No ‘local’ Wessex games

- in the Premier section Blackfield & Langley did finally overhaul season-long leaders Andover Town, with one game to spare to be Champions - beating Hamworthy midweek 1-0.
- both sides now on 99 points, with B&L's GD 30 better than Andover's, who have completed their fixtures. They can hit the three figures in their final league match should they avoid defeat at Brockenhurst tomorrow.
- Sorry Petersfield plummet straight through to Div One together with Newport IoW & Amesbury.
- featured Div One sides Andover New Street and Tadley both lost their Final games midweek - to Whitchurch and Fawley respectively - with Champions Christchurch winning 5-1 at Hythe & Dibden

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2018 06:35

Sutekh
Hoop Blah Is the Tuffley game one of those that Bracknell were upset about not being switched during all the wet weather?

No, think that one was the Lydney one.

Seems there were a few..

https://twitter.com/kaynesb2014/status/972414506004570112?s=21

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Apr 2018 18:30

Bracknell Town 8-0 Tuffley Rovers

Second place by just two goals.

10521 posts