Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Non - League thread

by Four Of Clubs » 01 Aug 2020 21:15

Simmops
Four Of Clubs STEP02 Final Results from this PM

NATN Boston 0-1 Altrincham
NATS Weymouth 0-0 Dartford - hosts win 3-0 pens

STEP01 Final 15:00 Sun Wembley Harrogate v Notts Co live on BT Sport1

I want Harrogate to win. New team would be nice.

Weren't Boston in the league not that long ago?

.... indeed hung on in the bottom division for about 5 yrs before getting booted out and then down twice to NPL for 'financial irregularities'.

Even hosted the mighty Royals in an early League Cup round during that spell. (03-04: 3-1 away win - KFLONL :mrgreen: )

....and Groundshares have been bandied about re Harrogate and their 3G should they reach the FL ... ironically York a PO loser - at STEP02 - being offered up as a possible venue - as was the Odsal?
They would be given a 'grace' period to play elsewhere whilst they restore their ground to non-G.

In deference to Sutekh - whose quote I chopped for brevity 8) - it's been pointed out by the rough equivalent of a 7th dan Anorak :wink: that Altricham and Weymuff have been suitably restored to their natural/proper levels.
They pointed out these clubs finished top two in the inaugural season of the Alliance Premier 79-80 ; so the infant days of the Pyramid. Some intriguing names at the top back then....

Final League Table
Pos Name Pld W D L GF GA Pts
1 Altrincham 38 24 8 6 79 35 56
2 Weymouth 38 22 10 6 73 37 54
3 Worcester City 38 19 11 8 53 36 49
4 Boston United 38 16 13 9 52 43 45
5 Gravesend & Northfleet 38 17 10 11 49 44 44
6 Maidstone United 38 16 11 11 54 37 43
7 Kettering Town 38 15 13 10 55 50 43

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Aug 2020 16:55

Harrogate go up from the National League, some achievement.

Get the diggers in lads, you've got a lot of turf to lay!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2020 08:51

Old Man Andrews Harrogate go up from the National League, some achievement.

Get the diggers in lads, you've got a lot of turf to lay!

First few home games for Harrogate will have to be played “away”, presumably at Bradford, Leeds, York or Huddersfield, while the new turf settles in. But given no one is allowed to go to watch them it’s possibly not going to make a lot of difference!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Aug 2020 15:06

Cannot remember the last time we had two completely new league teams in league 2. Maybe the days of Boston, Rushden and Diamonds (ripip what a gr8 team)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Aug 2020 19:08

Dagenham & Redbridge and Morecambe 2007...purely from memory.
Newly promoted Barrow used visit Elm Park in the League, early seventies btw.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 03 Aug 2020 21:02

AthleticoSpizz Dagenham & Redbridge and Morecambe 2007...purely from memory.
Newly promoted Barrow used visit Elm Park in the League, early seventies btw.

....spot on Spizzers was 07/08.

... and I wouldn't begrudge your recall skills for a sec. but technically a pendant might point out, that there were two 'new' sides promoted to the FL for 11/12

Crawley Town as Conference winners and AFC Wimbledon via the POs - did claim foundation year as 2002 but they definitely had a nod to their Crazy Gang forebears.

Possibly more so than Franchise FC ....... :?

But that debate got many an Anorak ruffled (or used to before both became league sides) up and down the land.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Aug 2020 13:42

Simmops Cannot remember the last time we had two completely new league teams in league 2. Maybe the days of Boston, Rushden and Diamonds (ripip what a gr8 team)

Barrow are not a new team. Previously failed re-election in 1972 to Hereford United after 51 seasons in the FL

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Aug 2020 19:12

Fairly big name in NL announcing they are having trouble finding sufficient investors and may have to fold by the end of the month. :? :?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53638190

.... Dover Athletic - oddly enough, though I lived down that way in fartherest East Kent - I've not yet been to the Crabble - my mate has and said it was a dump, so I haven't tried to rush him back for a revisit and new tick for me.

Andy Hessenthaler still manager there.

.... Mind you I rarely trust his judgement on anything else and he said Lewes was a gem - whereas following a fair amount of grading works, it's now decidedly meh. 8)

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Aug 2020 19:06

mx The Football Supporters Association are running a survey on the return of non league. Worth a few clicks

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/what-should- ... look-like/

If things are OK enough for "mass gatherings" of up to, say 500 people, this could help non-league clubs a lot, I think. Maybe naive, but even if it added 100 to our gate, it would be a decent bonus cash wise.

No use further up the pyramid, of course. Chatting to some Dulwich Hamlet fans, they were worried about social distancing etc if they opened their bars and food stands. I'm thinking at Winchester City we would need to double our beer order. :D I don't see how 300 people at a non-league game drinking around the pitch would be any more dangerous than drinking on a pub garden.

Interesting you say that. Faversham Town have been running a beer garden event every Sunday since the start of July and will be for at least another month. I did think to myself if they can do that then why can't you have fans at games? I realise the fans would be more congregated at matches, but it definitely seems possible even if the attendance at games has to be lower to work around it.

In other news, Andy Hessanthaler and his coaching staff have taken a 20% pay cut at Dover but the players have rejected a pay cut. Unless the club find some investment or get offers for their players basically they'll go under by the end of August :(

Edit - didn't see FoC's post about Dover above until after I posted :oops:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 14 Aug 2020 21:23

.... some NL (PSFs) Pre-Season Friendlies scheduled for tomorrow (Sat 15th) - haven't checked thru the full list yet.

I know Basingstoke Town are at Ascot but it is marked with the dreaded 'BCD' (Behind Closed Doors) ... expect there might be a few lower level matches open to the Public - I might have a scan around local options if the Cricket has damp issues?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Aug 2020 09:33

Four Of Clubs .... some NL (PSFs) Pre-Season Friendlies scheduled for tomorrow (Sat 15th) - haven't checked thru the full list yet.

I know Basingstoke Town are at Ascot but it is marked with the dreaded 'BCD' (Behind Closed Doors) ... expect there might be a few lower level matches open to the Public - I might have a scan around local options if the Cricket has damp issues?

PSF BCD

Like it

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Aug 2020 15:02

bcubed
Four Of Clubs .... some NL (PSFs) Pre-Season Friendlies scheduled for tomorrow (Sat 15th) - haven't checked thru the full list yet.

PSF BCD

Like it

...indeed there's nothing more likely to get zips snagged and Anorak linings twisted than lower level clubs being vague about match arrangements ... And this here 'Cairoli' virus has got some stalwarts of the NL hardcore fraternity in real flutter. Least they aren't moaning about a lack of programmes/team sheets etc.

I did have a good scout about for a likely game earlier today .... but decided the enforcement or otherwise of social distancing regulations, were too woolly for me to risk making an effort to detach myself from my self-isolating sofa. :mrgreen:

e.g. One club were tweeting (and got berated on the NL forum for doing that!) that this PMs friendly game was BCD but the clubhouse was open to fans before KO..... :? :?
Others were reporting quite openly, that spectators were welcome to their games today and that hot drinks refreshments etc would be served.

I'm sure all will become clearer before long but it's a bit too arduous, working out the prospects of seeing a glorified practice game, probably at least an hours' drive away and potentially no bar ..... to make it worthwhile.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2020 12:52

Four Of Clubs
bcubed

PSF BCD

Like it

...indeed there's nothing more likely to get zips snagged and Anorak linings twisted than lower level clubs being vague about match arrangements ... And this here 'Cairoli' virus has got some stalwarts of the NL hardcore fraternity in real flutter. Least they aren't moaning about a lack of programmes/team sheets etc.

I did have a good scout about for a likely game earlier today .... but decided the enforcement or otherwise of social distancing regulations, were too woolly for me to risk making an effort to detach myself from my self-isolating sofa. :mrgreen:

e.g. One club were tweeting (and got berated on the NL forum for doing that!) that this PMs friendly game was BCD but the clubhouse was open to fans before KO..... :? :?
Others were reporting quite openly, that spectators were welcome to their games today and that hot drinks refreshments etc would be served.

I'm sure all will become clearer before long but it's a bit too arduous, working out the prospects of seeing a glorified practice game, probably at least an hours' drive away and potentially no bar ..... to make it worthwhile.

I find that preseason friendlies at any level, while essential to players and management, are just a tedious waste of time for me unless they fall into one of the following categories

1. Big summer signings making “debut”
2. Home game against “stellar” opposition
3. An excuse to go to that “new” ground you’re desperate to cross off the “must visit before I die” list

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Aug 2020 14:21

According to the NLP the IoM team’s first game on Saturday will be broadcast live on TicketCo TV, it’s a friendly against Isthmian League side Guernsey FC at the Bowl in Douglas.

Also Bury FC’s application to join the NLN has been rejected and the club are now looking to rejoin in the league system in 2021/2022. The fan’s club (Bury AFC) was accepted into the North West Counties league for next season earlier this year. Presume the NLN (or perhaps the NLS) will therefore play with only 23 clubs for 2020/2021.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2020 18:50

Spectators will be allowed back in to non-league grounds below National League north/south level as of now. Good news.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Aug 2020 08:52

Old Man Andrews Spectators will be allowed back in to non-league grounds below National League north/south level as of now. Good news.

Assume there will be some limits on crowd numbers? Could easily see some record gates at games as people starved of live football decide to check out their local club.

mx

by mx » 19 Aug 2020 19:13

Stranded
Old Man Andrews Spectators will be allowed back in to non-league grounds below National League north/south level as of now. Good news.

Assume there will be some limits on crowd numbers? Could easily see some record gates at games as people starved of live football decide to check out their local club.

There are rules.
FA guidance here. Updated guidelines for return of spectators in steps three to six of National League System and tiers three to four of Women's Football Pyramid (link didn't copy - sorry - there's a link on the FA's front page.)
In summary ..... (my interpretation anyway)
Steps 3 and 4 can admit 15% of the minimum required capacity for that grade.

At Step 4, that seems to be 1,300, so that's 195 allowed. Once they've played one home game under that rule, it rises to 30%, so 390. The phased approach seems like a good idea to give clubs a chance to set out rules and have a practice run.

At my club, that seems OK. 195 is more than we normally get, and certainly once it rises to 390 there's an opportunity to make a few quid from local premier league fans who are desperate for a game. I haven't seen anything on this from the club yet though. We are a little handicapped as our pitch is being relaid, so all of our pre-season friendlies are away, so our first game at home may not be for a while.

Still, It's progress. I may even go to a pre-season friendly on Saturday,

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Aug 2020 22:41

mx
Stranded

There are rules.
FA guidance here. Updated guidelines for return of spectators in steps three to six of National League System and tiers three to four of Women's Football Pyramid (link didn't copy - sorry - there's a link on the FA's front page.)

At Step 4, that seems to be 1,300, so that's 195 allowed. Once they've played one home game under that rule, it rises to 30%, so 390. The phased approach seems like a good idea to give clubs a chance to set out rules and have a practice run.

At my club, that seems OK. 195 is more than we normally get, and certainly once it rises to 390 there's an opportunity to make a few quid from local premier league fans who are desperate for a game. I haven't seen anything on this from the club yet though. We are a little handicapped as our pitch is being relaid, so all of our pre-season friendlies are away, so our first game at home may not be for a while.

A PSF not BCD

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Aug 2020 00:09

FA Extra Prelim rounds to be played Tue 1st Sept - plenty of local sides involved - will put up a full (well Southern-half) in due course when I summon up the time/energy to do it.

https://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/fixtures

.... there should be the link to all of it in the meantime.....

Had a quick look through and there are the usual batch of inter-league ties but some interesting clashes elsewhere nonetheless.

... A few advanced 'highlights'......

Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes v Windsor - nice big ground on the northern edge of town - went last season for a Cup replay - sadly , overriding memory is one of smell - dodgy drainage - hopefully sorted out now?
Parking crap though plenty of side streets - bar small - odd for a club previously up at STEP04 for a spell.

Basingstoke v Bournemouth - 'Poppies' not 'Cherries' :mrgreen: there are a few 'unlucky' STEP04 sides having to enter at the first stage.
Frimley G v Fareham
Hamble Club v Reading City

.... and a few tough-looking away trips beckon
Westbury Utd v Binfield
Christchurch v Ascot
AFC Portchester v Sandhurst

.... more later.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 20 Aug 2020 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Aug 2020 13:30

mx
Stranded

There are rules.

As usual with these guidelines and restrictions it all seems a bit farcical. So in the Isthmian Premier the limit will be 300 to begin with (phase 1) which seems unfair if the capacity of a club is, say, 5000 while at another club it’s, say, 2000. From 31st August the limit rises to 600 (phase 2) but clubs must have played at least one (presumably home) game under phase 1 to be able to move to phase 2.

In addition each club has to have a dedicated covid19 officer :lol: (who will no doubt also be tasked on match days with ensuring everyone watches in total silence at least 6 foot from someone in a different household.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/sp ... nd-232430/

10442 posts