The Non - League thread

10428 posts
frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2010/11

by frimmers3 » 17 Jul 2010 22:28

Terminal Boardom FTR Frimmers, I have lost count of the number of times that I had the urge to pop down to the Rec and see the shite play. 4 or 5 times a season even. I can recall a 6-0 anhialation of Gillingham when the "great" Steve Claridge played. He wa scruffy then too. But again, to be fair, the Rec is too established and developed a ground to be even considered non-league.

yes,that is a very fair point.the travesty is that if the 'shots climbed higher in the league structure the terraces would go...not an ideal trade off imho:)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Jul 2010 00:32

Stuffed Crust Pizza Finally some news on how Reading Town squad will look this season....
....The second name being Andy Gray, who I'm sure was a Reading School of Excellence product back in the early McGhee days?

... played 18 games in the early 90s - scored 4 goals (?) - can't say I remember anything other than his name as a squad player at that time- was reported as being at Henley as soon as 2003.

Reading Post Boss Slater signs new Reading Town team
By David Wright
July 16, 2010

Slater has “five or six” players on trial in tomorrow’s first pre-season friendly at Calne, but will be missing several of his players as they will be involved in the Reading Fives tournament.

Zapped down to Calne Sat PM for RTFC's friendly - was indeed mostly an ex-Henley Town squad. Can't say I noticed Richardson - Gray put himself about but was fairly off the pace for most of the time - had a few neat touches still.
Home keeper damaged himself failing to save the first of two very charitable pens - one to each side. He was then very culpable for the next two RTFC goals - one took a comedy bounce over him as he fell backwards; two he managed to push a long range 'poke' just inside his own post.

Calne were game but very limited - had a couple of big raw lads up front that might do some damage at this level - they need an enforcer in the middle and a couple of decent full-backs.
As for RTFC I'd be a mite concerned about their ability to compete again at STEP05 this season. They looked fairly 'soft' at the back and their midfield looked a bit lightweight too - maybe Slater was missing a few key players this PM - for his sake I hope so. Might be a rebuilding exercise - at least with the division below in considerable turmoil, they'll be hard-pressed to get themselves relegated.

Another very noticeable absence was the Barmy Army/Reading 'til I die/Little Drummer Boys and his Pals.
.... have they all buggered off to Thatcham too, along with Millard and the 09/10 squad? :?

Meanwhile, Reading Town will face Shrivenham at home in their first Hellenic Premier Division game of the season on Tuesday, August 10. Woodley Town will travel to Milton United on Monday, August 9 for their opening game of the Hellenic Division 1 East season.

... :evil: :evil: :evil:

... if you are going to take the trouble to report on one of your 'senior' NL clubs - then you could put in a bit of soddin' effort and at the very least try to get their bleedin' fixtures right!!
Milton Utd are at home on Monday Aug 9th to HOLYPORT not Woodley. Unless of course the official fixture site is wrong and the EP is right ? :twisted:

Must be something going on with 'Park Farm' as all of Woodley's games in August are away - as follows:-

Penn & Tylers Green Saturday, 14 August 2010
Chalfont Wasps Saturday, 21 August 2010
Henley Town Saturday, 28 August 2010

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jul 2010 03:22

frimmers3 what is "funnier" is the inability of a poster to realise that the comment was posted with regard to a separate issue,the scarcity of terracing in the current league structure at whatever level.however,why should i deny you a "lol"...it seems every "royal" has to suffix each post with it.

Well, why post about Aldershot on a 'non-league' thread in the first place then, you dribbling old clown?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Jul 2010 07:32

floyd__streete Well, why post about Aldershot on a 'non-league' thread in the first place then, you dribbling old clown?

QED

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 18 Jul 2010 09:33

floyd__streete
frimmers3 what is "funnier" is the inability of a poster to realise that the comment was posted with regard to a separate issue,the scarcity of terracing in the current league structure at whatever level.however,why should i deny you a "lol"...it seems every "royal" has to suffix each post with it.

Well, why post about Aldershot on a 'non-league' thread in the first place then, you dribbling old clown?

see the reasoning..oh sorry you will be unable to...

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 18 Jul 2010 16:43

Spotted: Nicky Hammond at the Basingstoke v Aston Villa game. Also, Shorey played the full 90 minutes and didn't do a lot.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jul 2010 19:37

floyd__streete
Terminal Boardom Anyone "interested" in the Windsor -v- Slough friendly, please note that it will not be played at Stag Meadow.

SAT 17TH JULY V SLOUGH TOWN 3.00PM @ WINDSOR BOYS SCHOOL

LOL, with Windsor's crowds they could play this game in the janitor's cupboard 8)

It'd be nice to have crowds in the multi-hundreds but the lack of numbers is part of the attraction somehow!

There were 175 at this game BTW. Higher than our average crowd last year, (thanks to Slough I believe!)

Surprisingly (considering the number of players from last season to have departed, and the number of trialists in the squad yesterday, plus the fact it was our 1st pre-season game, to Slough's 3rd) W&E won 2-1.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 18 Jul 2010 23:30

Went to Hayes & Yeading in the end with Wycombe winning 3-1. Hayes defence looks lightweight at the moment and needs tightening up before the season starts.

Cracking club shop there with some cracking old programmes, picked up a couple of old RFC ones, a couple of England away ones and the Euro 96 final.

Sadly i'll lose that ground next season as they're moving to a 6,500 seater stadium where Yeading's old ground used to be.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Jul 2010 14:01

frimmers3
Terminal Boardom FTR Frimmers, I have lost count of the number of times that I had the urge to pop down to the Rec and see the shite play. 4 or 5 times a season even. I can recall a 6-0 anhialation of Gillingham when the "great" Steve Claridge played. He wa scruffy then too. But again, to be fair, the Rec is too established and developed a ground to be even considered non-league.

yes,that is a very fair point.the travesty is that if the 'shots climbed higher in the league structure the terraces would go...not an ideal trade off imho:)

I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about the possibility if I were you.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 20 Jul 2010 21:42

Ashford (Kent) have withdrawn from the Ryman League One South. However this helps them with the problem caused by the FA forcing them to accept Grays Athletic after all. They have rightly moved Chatham from North to South to even up the numbers at 22 each again.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 20 Jul 2010 22:22

Put pen to paper on the forms on the deal to sign for Reading Town tonight.

Should be on the yellow news ticker on SSN anytime now :?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jul 2010 23:21

rfcjoe Put pen to paper on the forms on the deal to sign for Reading Town tonight.

Should be on the yellow news ticker on SSN anytime now :?

We are all coming down to Scours Lane to HOUND you. Don't worry though, the LOL will be on us for paying to watch you play 8)

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 20 Jul 2010 23:25

I wish I lived your amazing life.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 21 Jul 2010 22:37

Got my Europa League ticket today for tomorrow night's Bangor City v Honka Espoo match.

Bangor drew 1-1 in Finland so set up nicely for the home leg (to be played at the Racecourse).

TNS went through last night to play Anderlecht in the 3rd qualifying round.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 22 Jul 2010 14:30

Mr Optimist Got my Europa League ticket today for tomorrow night's Bangor City v Honka Espoo match.

Bangor drew 1-1 in Finland so set up nicely for the home leg (to be played at the Racecourse).

TNS went through last night to play Anderlecht in the 3rd qualifying round.

Quite possibly the most superbly-named football club in the world.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Jul 2010 14:02

And what's more, Bangor got through. Where's the match report?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 23 Jul 2010 20:18

Terminal Boardom And what's more, Bangor got through. Where's the match report?

Sorry for the delay but I've chenged jobs and now have no access to internet during the day. The events of last night were a big deal in this part of North Wales!

Honka are a full time side who are half way through their domestic season sitting second in the Finnish top division so to say it was a shock result is a bit of an understatement really. Crowd of 954 (-9 pissed off Honka fans!) went ballistic in the upper tier of the main stand at the Racecourse last night. 1-0 down and won 2-1 with two goals in the last 6 minutes. Not a bad crowd considering Wrexham is over 70 miles from Bangor.

Honka looked a decent side passing the ball around well but with no real cutting edge and missed a few good chances. Bangor could hardly get out of their own half in the first half but defended as if their lives depended on it. Honka scored on 21 mins with a brilliant cut in and curled shot in to top corner. After the goal Bangor had to throw players forward but Honka really should have scored two or three more times on the break but a combination of bad finishing, brilliant defending and goalkeeping and a huge slice of luck kept it 1-0.

Bangor went for it in the second half as it was shit or bust time and had to resort a lot of the time to lumping free kicks in to the box and trying to work off the scraps because the difference in quality of the midfields was ridiculous. Bangor equalised on 84 with a bullet header from 10 yards after a brilliant cross from the right. bangor realised with the tie heading for extra time that their best chance to get through was to throw the kitchen sink at Honka for the last 5 minutes because the full timers would pick them off in ET. 90 minutes up and a scramble in the box and the loose ball rifled home!! Get in! Hinka's travelling "army" head for the exit for a quick getaway before the final whistle.

Really should have been 4-0 or 5-0 to Honka with the different abilities of the two sides but pride, passion and team spirit won the day against much superior opposition.

3rd qualifying round Bangor have Maritimo who finished fifth in the Potugese top division last season. I think the dream will come to an end there but I haven't enjoyed a football match or seen such a committed bunch of players in a long time!

Might go and watch TNS play Anderlecht at the Racecourse next Tuesday.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 23 Jul 2010 20:22

Forgot to add that I have been to the Racecourse quite a few times watching Reading over the years and other matches as a neutral but I have never heard an atmosphere better than the one 1,000 Bangor City fans created last night. Non stop singing all game that just got louder after they went 1-0 down. I remember when RFC in the days of the South Bank used to do that if we went a goal down.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Jul 2010 02:21

rfcjoe I wish I lived your amazing life.

What do you do with yourself when you're not pumping 50 yards balls into the channels at a selection of sloping non-league football grounds?

Just interested, y'know.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 24 Jul 2010 02:28

/gains an admirer

You still haven't answered my question over on the Ray Ilsley thead about when you played on the Mad Stad...

10428 posts