The Non - League thread

10428 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2010/11

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Jul 2010 20:04

A thouroughly enjoyable afternoon spent watch Binfield defeat Slough Town 4-3. An entertaining game throughout marred by a serious injury to one of the Binfield defencders who took one hell of a punch from his keeper. If he had not been stretchered off, he would be lying there still. Both defences looked ropey and Binfield played some excellent football. Some of the movement was top class and also pleasing to see both sides play the game correctly.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jul 2010 22:51

I watched Maidenhead beat Windsor & Eton 4-1 at Windsor Boys' School. Windsor did okay really considering we were playing a team from a higher league and the fact that there were only 2 or 3 players out of the entire squad I actually recognised. I think there were about a dozen new players there (all but 2 of them were black) and although we were outclassed, given a bit of time, they could gel into a decent side.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Jul 2010 11:42

Terminal Boardom A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon ... Binfield played some excellent football. Some of the movement was top class and also pleasing to see both sides play the game correctly.

... agreed - saw Binfield a few times last season - Monday nights at Stubbs - crackin' - impressed me most was the prolific Ian Davies - small-ish bloke up front - think he's 'done the rounds' locally - one of those forwards who seems to know instinctively where the ball is going to drop for him - he got the fourth yesterday. Usually worked a great 'little 'n large' double act with Whitty - whose followed his dad (?) over to Bracknell.
Not to be confused with the new chap Carl Davies (Cardiff-trainee/Barry Town) scored two - who they've just signed from Woodley Town.
Suarez (ex Slough/RTFC) in the middle is usually pretty neat too - resisted overtures from the ex-RTFC management to re-join them over at Thatcham
.... they don't instill great confidence at the back though.
Seems a general undercurrent on their web site that they are relieved to have signed several of last years squad - I spose there was a good chance a lot more would follow the exodus to Larges Lane?

What was the clubhouse like - they were muttering late last season about a re-fit/re-build - its quaint but a bit cramped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I risk the terrors of the M25 clockwise and got round to London Colney (just) to see them overcome their higher-ranked visitors Reading Town.
- I'm a mite concerned about RTFC: they looked very limited indeed going forward though had sorted out their possible weaknesses out wide defensively, that had showed up at Calne the week before.
This week they looked decidedly fragile at CB - dwelled on the ball a couple of times but got away with it when more abler forwards would have pounced.
They'll come seriously unravelled against some of the better Hellenic Premier sides if they continue to do that.
Only goal of the game was scored by a home forward early 2nd half - twisted the visitors defence and himself inside out, back and forth on the edge of the box - seemed to be getting nowhere before rolling a shot across the keeper and inside the far post.
Big Marcus Richardson came on for Town for the last 10 mins - don't think he'd intended to - got changed pitchside very late on. He created more in that time than his team-mates had done for the previous 80' - was unlucky to see his first (scuffed) shot just roll past the far post after a very neat turn for such a big-lad.
Think both keepers made a couple of good saves - but chances were few.

Avoided the M25 home - were over 1 hr delays anti-clockwise from jn 17 to 12 (Chertsey/M3) - came back via Hemel, Chesham and Sluff. If its like that next w/e, I'm worried about getting a 'new' ground in. Signs say delays likely until June 2012 :shock:

RTFC next in action this Friday night (or is it next Friday :wink: )
H v Hungerford Town 19:30 KO - could be interesting - saw Hungerford last Wed vs Hartley Wintney - currently a level above RTFC - they play a very good counter-punching game and will definitely test the Reading Town midfield with their passing and movement. Coach is ex-legend Gilkesy.
Might bring on Anthony Alleyne up front for part of the game (ex Kintbury, Milton etc etc son of former 'legend' Andy Alleyne - great goal vs Stockport (?) - oh no that was in the wrong net though! 8) )

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jul 2010 20:57

Four Of Clubs
What was the clubhouse like - they were muttering late last season about a re-fit/re-build - its quaint but a bit cramped.

Still cramped and from what I heard, there certainly are plans for a complete revamp of the changing rooms and clubhouse. Shame about the wasps though. They were a pain!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2010 22:18

Michael Chennells, W&E's prolific 23yo striker has gone to Brentford on trial. Came on as sub for last 20 in a friendly against Palace a couple of nights ago. Has done okay and invited to stay for another week.

Personally speaking, having watched him for the last 18 months, I think League 1 is too big a step for him but wish him well as he has served Windsor very well and seems like a nice guy from a decent and very supportive family.

If he goes, now that Joe Chandiram has gone to Burnham (today) I think that leaves just 6 of last year's squad that won the League, 2 of those are out injured until October, 3 of them played no more than a handful of games (incl the redoubtable Martin Williams) and one was excellent and ever-present, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes before the start of the season!

Talk about transition after the glory. Unfortunately I think the financial regime during Keith Scott's spell at the club left them with no option but to restructure. I fear a relegation struggle awaits but some of the new players have some pedigree so we shall see what the new season brings with great interest.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 02 Aug 2010 11:35

Royal Rother Michael Chennells, W&E's prolific 23yo striker has gone to Brentford on trial. Came on as sub for last 20 in a friendly against Palace a couple of nights ago. Has done okay and invited to stay for another week.

Personally speaking, having watched him for the last 18 months, I think League 1 is too big a step for him but wish him well as he has served Windsor very well and seems like a nice guy from a decent and very supportive family.

If he goes, now that Joe Chandiram has gone to Burnham (today) I think that leaves just 6 of last year's squad that won the League, 2 of those are out injured until October, 3 of them played no more than a handful of games (incl the redoubtable Martin Williams) and one was excellent and ever-present, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes before the start of the season!

Talk about transition after the glory. Unfortunately I think the financial regime during Keith Scott's spell at the club left them with no option but to restructure. I fear a relegation struggle awaits but some of the new players have some pedigree so we shall see what the new season brings with great interest.

I agre RR. I think League 1 may be a step too far but he more than deserves his chance. It could be a very long season.

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 10 Aug 2010 20:26

Will be interesting to find out how many hna members are taking in a fa cup extra preliminary round match this weekend instead of helping Pompey repay the taxpayer.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Aug 2010 22:11

Terminal Boardom
Royal Rother Michael Chennells, W&E's prolific 23yo striker has gone to Brentford on trial. Came on as sub for last 20 in a friendly against Palace a couple of nights ago. Has done okay and invited to stay for another week.

I agre RR. I think League 1 may be a step too far but he more than deserves his chance. It could be a very long season.

W&E have now signed Fiston Manuella, an experienced, (shall we say) combative midfielder - he was sent off twice last season for different clubs before the end of November, and was actually jailed for 2 months after headbutting someone whilst playing for Staines in 2005. Known as Mr Angry at his last club he has apparently assured Windsor management that he is a reformed character. Anyway, he's played at a higher level so could be useful if he stays on the pitch long enough for us to find out.

We have also signed Ikenna Ofoche, released by Millwall in April this year, from the odd comment I've seen he was quite well regarded there so could be decent at this level. I believe he has scored in the 2 friendlies he played in last week.

Although it'll be mainly new faces I'm really looking forward to the new season.

Brentford have signed a couple of new strikers this week so I doubt Chennells will get an offer from them, espec as he's still at Uni, so hopefully he'll be back with us. (There's a 3 page thread on Brentford's forum about him but I can't be arsed to register in order to read it....)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Aug 2010 22:26

Tad Showbiz Will be interesting to find out how many hna members are taking in a fa cup extra preliminary round match this weekend instead of helping Pompey repay the taxpayer.

I would love to but there is the wings and speed bonanza at White Waltham to look forward to. Taking my Dad there for his 80th birthday.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 11 Aug 2010 10:58

Tad Showbiz Will be interesting to find out how many hna members are taking in a fa cup extra preliminary round match this weekend instead of helping Pompey repay the taxpayer.

.... draw up a chair (or a pillow :P ) this might take time ....

Well into the NL 'swing' now 8) - I'll (probably) be heading down to FA Cup match
Warminster Town vs RTFC.

That'll be my 12th game of this season (NOT including the depressingly 'dump' start to our season chez MadStad last Sat - was my youngests' first match - his big brother is away on holiday so he used his ST - he was far more upset than I was :( )

So far I've seen 8 pre-season friendlies; 2 local 'cup' matches and two 'non-league' league games.
Monday night: at Binfield's successful opener in the Hellenic Premier - a 3-1 win over Witney @ Hill Farm Lane - for some reason they don't call it Stubbs Lane anymore?
Last night (Tue): watched Tadley 'mug' Whitchurch Utd (Hants) 1-0 in Wessex Div One - nice ground @ Whitchurch - Longmeadow is quite a large Sports Centre on the Winchester Rd south of the village.
The programme advertises lots of mouth-watering food-options as well as a Tea Bar inside the ground itself, offering Hot Dogs/Burgers etc etc.
Took my daughter straight from her Diving lesson and she was hungry - and yup - of course the Tea bar decided not to do any food - referred us to the Bar inside which would only do chips :roll: - unless you were at the Bingo which was going on there presumably
:evil:
... seemed to be loads of Tadley 'geezers' there too - crowd was close to three figures - quite vociferous but happy that their side 'did a job' on Whitchurch - who played by far the more attractive football but couldn't find the net - unlike on Sat when they won 6-0 away.

...just a few of the other 'local' scores from last night:

Hellenic Prem
RTFC 2-1 Shrivenham
Ardley 2-2 Wantage
Bracknell Town 2-0 Oxford City Nomads
Carterton 0-4 Shortwood - favourites start with a bang
Flackwell Hth 0-3 Abingdon Town - bit of a shock this one - The 'Heathens' were many people's tip to contend for honours and Ab. Town are perennial strugglers and have had some dreadful pre-season scores (2-9 vs Ab Utd)
Thame Utd 1-2 Ascot Utd
Kidlington 2-1 Wokingham & Emmbrook

Combined Counties - Prem
Camberley 4-1 Wembley
Cove 1-2 Sandhurst
Div One
Farnham 4-3 Eversley
Hartley Wintney 2-2 Frimley G

... and for those who don't want to hand their 'hard-earned' over to the money-filtching b@stards at Fratton - here's the other FA Cup ties involving 'local' clubs:-

Deal Town v Sandhurst Town
Chalfont St Peter v Stotfold
Langford v Aylesbury United
Cobham v Wick
Farnham Town v Badshot Lea
Molesey v Hartley Wintney
Binfield v Crawley Down
Horley Town v Ash United
Camberley Town v Petersfield Town
Cove v Three Bridges
Alton Town v Chichester City
Egham Town v Guildford City
Flackwell Heath v Oakwood
Frimley Green v Peacehaven & Telscombe
Dorking v Bracknell Town
Thame United v Shrivenham
Wantage Town v Shortwood United
Milton United v Witney United

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Aug 2010 13:46

Bromsgrove Rovers gone

The Zamaretto League - News

Bromsgrove Rovers' membership of the Southern Football League was withdrawn at a meeting of the League's Board of Directors on 11 August 2010. As the decision is subject to the right of Appeal to the Football Association, the Club will be suspended from participating in any League or League Cup fixtures until such time as the Appeal procedure has been completed. In the meantime no further comment from the League will be possible. Ken Turner, Chairman

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 12 Aug 2010 18:55

An excellent initiative has been setup to get more football supporters along to see their local Non League side next month. Saturday 4th September will see no Premier League or Championship fixtures being played as its an international week, so fans of those clubs have been invited along to their local ground to sample Non League life. Saturday 4th September sees Reading Town host Witney United at the Lane and with fans in the local area looking for their football fix, perhaps bumper crowd will be in attendance. I myself will not be in attendance as its the first game of the season in the Reading Football League so, like most Saturdays this season, my afternoon be spent with the local team I help coach.

Hopefully the local media can spread the word of the campaign and convince the residents of Reading to support their local team. For more information visit http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/fsf-backs-non-league-day.php.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 14 Aug 2010 11:40

FA Cup magic for me today in the form of the extra premliminary round tie at Stubb's Lane; Binfield v Crawley Down. This being my first in ten years without an RFC season ticket due to coaching commitments. Therefore I'm intending to hop around as many Non League grounds in Berkshire as and when I can should the Royals be away from home.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Aug 2010 20:11

Oh the joys and delights of extra-preliminary round day on the FA Cup. Downpours and thunder storms of biblical proportions coupled with the sloping pitch of Krooner Park. With a name like that I expected to hear Andy Williams belting out from the PA but alas not. So, Camberley Town -v- Petersfield Town.

A hard fought, and barely deserved 2-1 win for the hosts with the winner coming in something like the 86th minute. Without a doubt the best NL clubhouse I have yet experienced with real ale on tap and a good range of other stuff for lesser mortals. Tidy little burger bar with a very friendly my aged woman serving, and yes, I would :D

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Aug 2010 12:01

... here's the other scores from yesterday (Sat 14th)

FA Cup Extra-Preliminary:-

Deal Town 3-0 Sandhurst Town
Chalfont St Peter 1-0 Stotfold
Langford 1-3 Aylesbury United
Cobham 2-0 Wick
Farnham Town 2-1 Badshot Lea
Molesey 0-2 Hartley Wintney
Binfield 3-2 Crawley Down - (Ian Davies hat-trick)
Horley Town 4-1 Ash United
Cove 1-1 Three Bridges
Alton Town 4-1 Chichester City
Egham Town 1-3 Guildford City
Flackwell Heath 2-1 Oakwood
Frimley Green 0-4 Peacehaven & Telscombe
Dorking 0-5 Bracknell Town
Thame United 3-0 Shrivenham
Wantage Town 2-3 Shortwood United
Milton United 0-2 Witney United

...also of note:
Willand Rovers 2-0 Merthyr Town (no joy for re-formed 'Martyrs' though they have won their first 2 league matches @ STEP06 - Western League Div One)
... biggest win of the round:
New Mills 10-2 Alsager

I managed to get to Weymouth Street
- Warminster Town 1-2 Reading Town att 159 (incl 'Little Drummer Boy') in full voice plus one other 'Barmy Army' attendee. :?
RTFC should have been well in front by the time Warminster got a late goal back. Big Marcus Richardson was unplayable and opened up the home defence regularly - Danny Seaward was lively too.
From being in total command their young LB picked up a knock had to go off and RTFC went into their shell. They could have conceded more - Warminster were dreadful in front of goal - missed some sitters before a 'Van Basten-like' volleyed goal in the last couple of mins made the score look closer than it should have been.
RTFC are supposed to be hosting Newport (IOW) in the next round (Sat 28th August) - Festival permitting (??) - not sure what they'll do about that - surely they won't switch it - will they :?: - I just happen to be on holiday on the Isle of Wight that w/e!! :P :wink:

League matches:-

CONF - National
Darlington 1-0 Newport County
CONF-South
Basingstoke 2-3 Chelmsford
Braintree 3-0 Farnborough
Ebbsfleet 1-2 Maidenhead Utd
Staines 1-0 Lewes
Welling 0-0 H&R
Woking 0-1 Dover

Southern Prem
Didcot 1-2 Evesham
Halesowen 0-0 Weymouth
Tiverton 1-1 Windsor & Eton - (Chennels 89')
Salisbury 3-0 Stourbridge
Truro 0-3 Chesham :shock:
Southern One Central
Burnham 2-1 Bedworth
Daventry Town 0-1 Marlow
Slough 2-1 Barton Rovers
Southern One S&W
Bridgwater 0-3 Abingdon Utd
Hungerford 1-1 Wimborne
Thatcham 5-0 Clevedon Town - (ex-RTFC Lewis hat-trick)

Combined Counties - One
Eversley 2-3 Hayes Gate

Hellenic Premier
Carterton 1-2 Ascot Utd
Wokingham & E 1-1 Slimbridge
One East
Newbury 3-2 Finch.
Penn & Tylers 3-4 Woodley Town

Wessex One
Fleet Spurs 3-1 Shaftesbury
Horndean 7-2 Tadley Calleva

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 15 Aug 2010 22:51

With my Saturday afternoon's now dedicated to coaching Woodley Hammers in the Reading Football League, visits to the Mad Stad and Scours Lane are going be alot more scarce than previous seasons. Therefore my visits will mainly be under the floodlights during the midweek fixtures. I've enjoyed my encounters with the Non-League game so much that I'm going to set myself a challenge for this season. There are 14 clubs in Berkshire that play between levels 6 to 9. These include; Maidenhead United in the Blue Square South. Four clubs in the Zameretto Southern Football League; Windsor & Eton in the Premier, Slough Town in Division One Central while both Hungerford and Thatcham Town occupy the Division One South & West. Five clubs compete in the Hellenic Premier League; Ascot United, Binfield, Bracknell Town, Reading Town and Wokingham & Emmbrook. While in the Hellenic Division One East Finchampstead, Holyport, Newbury and Woodley Town are the lowest ranked of the Berkshire clubs on my list. So should I find myself with a football free Saturday or a spare weekday evening I will be checking these Berkshire clubs fixture lists to see when I can visit. And you can follow my story, starting with my trip to Binfield on Saturday, at http://berkshop.blogspot.com/.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Aug 2010 23:08

Great win for Hartley Wintney. Neville Roach wrote in local paper that he would love to meet Reading in round three!!! Few games to play yet then Neville.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 15 Aug 2010 23:12

paultheroyal Great win for Hartley Wintney. Neville Roach wrote in local paper that he would love to meet Reading in round three!!! Few games to play yet then Neville.

I know one of the HW players.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 15 Aug 2010 23:17

Stuffed Crust Pizza With my Saturday afternoon's now dedicated to coaching Woodley Hammers in the Reading Football League, visits to the Mad Stad and Scours Lane are going be alot more scarce than previous seasons. Therefore my visits will mainly be under the floodlights during the midweek fixtures. I've enjoyed my encounters with the Non-League game so much that I'm going to set myself a challenge for this season. There are 14 clubs in Berkshire that play between levels 6 to 9. These include; Maidenhead United in the Blue Square South. Four clubs in the Zameretto Southern Football League; Windsor & Eton in the Premier, Slough Town in Division One Central while both Hungerford and Thatcham Town occupy the Division One South & West. Five clubs compete in the Hellenic Premier League; Ascot United, Binfield, Bracknell Town, Reading Town and Wokingham & Emmbrook. While in the Hellenic Division One East Finchampstead, Holyport, Newbury and Woodley Town are the lowest ranked of the Berkshire clubs on my list. So should I find myself with a football free Saturday or a spare weekday evening I will be checking these Berkshire clubs fixture lists to see when I can visit. And you can follow my story, starting with my trip to Binfield on Saturday, at http://berkshop.blogspot.com/.

Nice blog! will be following this

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Aug 2010 08:16

Bracknell in FA Cup win shock - and 5-0 away at that!

10428 posts