Germany v Spain [Official Thread]

125 posts
rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Germany v Spain [Official Thread]

by rfcjoe » 08 Jul 2010 08:50

i'm genuinely gutted about last nights result. being a quarter german and all.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Jul 2010 09:16

Ian Royal
Big Foot
Ian Royal Don't get me wrong, Spain were very good, and technically excellent.

But they are really dull and rely on tiring teams and sneaking a goal where they aren't massively superior. Some superb ball keeping and passing. But Jesus Christ it's not entertaining in any way.

You've contradicted yourself there

Where exactly cos I can't see it on three re-reads.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2010 09:16

I'm not agreeing with Ian, perish the thought, but it was a pretty dour game TBH. So much so I actually LOL'd at one of lawro's remarks towards the end

Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 08 Jul 2010 11:07

Archie's penalty I oxf*rd hate Spain. Both of the teams I wanted to win in the semis lost. Now I have to support the fupping Dutch in the final.

No fun, no fun at all.

Given the accuracy of your semi-final hopes......could you not find it in your heart to support the fupping Spanish :lol:

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 08 Jul 2010 12:22

Whilst appreciating the ability and quality of Spain, I still don't find them exciting to watch. For me, the best games at this tournament have been played by Germany. OK, they didn't do it last night (my German fried whom I was texting during the game conceded that they weren't playing well) - Spain closed them down really well and defended any breakaway completely effectively but they didn't attack in numbers and, as JMW said, the fact that they only scored from a corner says it all.
I'm not sure Holland will give them any more of a game than Germany did, so I think that Spain will win it.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 13:15

I think Spain have similar problems to Arsenal. When I watch football matches and the ball gets spread wide, the first thing I do is glance into the middle to see the runs that are being made, whether there are any midfielders piling in there etc.

Spain and Arsenal both work the ball wide really well but then most of their players drop back, hovering on the edge of the area waiting for yet another low pass back etc. So many times it went wide last night and Villa was the only one in the penalty area. Real goalscorers know that you you need to be getting right onto the edge of the six yard box and midfielders need to be filling the box behind you. It'd take a tremendous cross to put the ball on the head of the one player you have in the area.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2010 13:19

Maguire When I watch football matches and the ball gets spread wide, the first thing I do is glance at the lino so I can be first with the news on offsides.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 08 Jul 2010 13:26

Maguire I think Spain have similar problems to Arsenal. When I watch football matches and the ball gets spread wide, the first thing I do is glance into the middle to see the runs that are being made, whether there are any midfielders piling in there etc.

Spain and Arsenal both work the ball wide really well but then most of their players drop back, hovering on the edge of the area waiting for yet another low pass back etc. So many times it went wide last night and Villa was the only one in the penalty area. Real goalscorers know that you you need to be getting right onto the edge of the six yard box and midfielders need to be filling the box behind you. It'd take a tremendous cross to put the ball on the head of the one player you have in the area.

Real goalscorers? Surely that's the point with Spain - their one 'real goalscorer' (Villa) is in the area. And is the tournament's joint top scorer.

Not sure how you can criticise the style and tactics of a team who are on the cusp of being World and European champions, having lost twice in 52 games.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 13:41

Seal
Maguire I think Spain have similar problems to Arsenal. When I watch football matches and the ball gets spread wide, the first thing I do is glance into the middle to see the runs that are being made, whether there are any midfielders piling in there etc.

Real goalscorers? Surely that's the point with Spain - their one 'real goalscorer' (Villa) is in the area. And is the tournament's joint top scorer.

Not sure how you can criticise the style and tactics of a team who are on the cusp of being World and European champions, having lost twice in 52 games.

Even Villa tends to hold back, actually.

And I'm not criticising Spain, I think they're a fabulous team and I backed them to win before the tournament. I was, however, responding to the previous poster who said they didn't attack in numbers and that it took a header from a corner to win the game.

I think they'd score even more if they filled the box when the ball went wide, that's all.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Jul 2010 13:45

Its not really Villa's game, a fit Torres would be getting into the box and giving them that type of cutting edge. Plan B ain't working too bad though is it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Jul 2010 13:53

They've actually got a bit of a lanky goal-poacher on the bench.

20 odd goals for Bilbao last season, came on against Portugal and set up the winner.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 14:15

6ft Kerplunk Its not really Villa's game

Exactly

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 14:23

papereyes They've actually got a bit of a lanky goal-poacher on the bench.

20 odd goals for Bilbao last season, came on against Portugal and set up the winner.

Set-up the winner in the sense that he wasn't involved at all?

Iniesta -> Xavi -> Villa IIRC

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Jul 2010 17:34

Wasn't it Llorente with the flicked pass?

EDIT - If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. He was definitely involved in the build up. Point still stands - they have a player that can attack the centre should they want to use him.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 17:57

papereyes Wasn't it Llorente with the flicked pass?

EDIT - If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. He was definitely involved in the build up. Point still stands - they have a player that can attack the centre should they want to use him.

Xavi.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jul 2010 18:00

Playing against the best counter attacking side in the competition means that piling people forward is not really the best idea.

Spain haven't played as well as they did in the Euros because they haven't been allowed to. From the Switzerland to the semi-final teams have constantly defended against them. It'll be interesting to see if the Dutch adopt the same stifling tactics or not.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jul 2010 18:09

sandman Playing against the best counter attacking side in the competition means that piling people forward is not really the best idea.

Spain haven't played as well as they did in the Euros because they haven't been allowed to. From the Switzerland to the semi-final teams have constantly defended against them. It'll be interesting to see if the Dutch adopt the same stifling tactics or not.

It's not about piling men forward - if the ball goes wide then why do three of you stand about 22 yards out. Goals are mainly scored in the area - FILL THE BOX! (as I used to enjoy shouting at sunday league)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jul 2010 18:14

Lol @ the commentators who kept on about Spain needing to change things.
How thick are most of the commentators and pundits?
This is the way they play.
This is the way Barcelona plays-a Barcelona that (boringly?)scored 98 league goals in 38 games last season.
Very rarely does it not work-look at Spain's international record and Barcelona's European record for the past 2 years.

What the commentators were saying sums up the narrow-minded English view of the beautiful game-England never win anything so isn't it time to think of changing from long-ball,get rid of it football and rather think of keeping the ball.
The very successful Liverpool sides played this way and Arsenal today but without the physical side which Spain and Barcelona have in their game which contributes to their success.
Last night after the game on BBC when they had finally run out of film of poor South Africans we saw some of the Dutch "total" football which so nearly led them to World Cup success but brought great club success to Ajax-they also passed the ball well and seldom gave possession away cheaply.
BTW what a pleasure to listen to the articulate Clarence Seedorf-a winner of 3 European Cups with different clubs?

Let's have much much more of Spain and Barcelona so that football in this country from a very young age is seen to be a passing game and not one where 7 year-olds are encouraged by their touchline mentors to "get rid of it".
Eventaually we might just get somewhere in International football.
The Spanish might just do what the Romans did for us and bring us into the civilisation that exists elsewhere.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 08 Jul 2010 18:51

papereyes
PEARCEY Thought Germany were disappointing with Schweinsteiger playing so deep. Spain deserved it with their superb passing..but as a spectacle it was only so so

he-s been doing that all tournament.

He played in a more advanced position against Argentina. He barely managed to get beyond the half-way line last night.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 08 Jul 2010 19:46

PEARCEY
papereyes
PEARCEY Thought Germany were disappointing with Schweinsteiger playing so deep. Spain deserved it with their superb passing..but as a spectacle it was only so so

he-s been doing that all tournament.

He played in a more advanced position against Argentina. He barely managed to get beyond the half-way line last night.

That's because the ball was in the German half for so much of the match, and he was pushed back by the excellence of the Spanish play.

125 posts