Football Rumours Shoite thread

1031 posts
urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Football Rumours Shoite thread

by urz13 » 24 Jan 2012 22:04

Friday's Legacy
urz13 Well we're now getting Arshavin, Heskey, Owen, Chamakh and Rhodes.

perhaps the child that sent that in hasn't listened to the conference where we will not increase our wage budget.

Well obviously. Although I personally think we most definitely will be increasing our wage budget no matter what the club and TSI say.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 24 Jan 2012 22:12

urz13
Friday's Legacy
urz13 Well we're now getting Arshavin, Heskey, Owen, Chamakh and Rhodes.

perhaps the child that sent that in hasn't listened to the conference where we will not increase our wage budget.

Well obviously. Although I personally think we most definitely will be increasing our wage budget no matter what the club and TSI say.

i quite agree, though not by a great deal. if you want to bring a different class of player here you also have to pay the wages. but that of course can't be the official line.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 24 Jan 2012 23:15

I think the key point is that we won't increase the wage structure, the wage budget however may be a different thing.

I will leave it to someone better qualified than me to explain the difference.

johnnym

by johnnym » 25 Jan 2012 09:10

not tricky is it...we won't pay anyone above a capped amount, but rather than then having to look at only spending a total of £X million on players salaries each year, that is now a larger £Ymillion - we could have lots of players on £10k a week, but not one on say £30k a week

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 09:16

johnnym not tricky is it...we won't pay anyone above a capped amount, but rather than then having to look at only spending a total of £X million on players salaries each year, that is now a larger £Ymillion - we could have lots of players on £10k a week, but not one on say £30k a week

Then how are we going to hold onto players that are in demand from other clubs prepared to pay them way over our salary cap.

Thats the big stumbling block in TSI's rhetoric so far for me. If they or indeed McD think they can keep the same wage structure and players who know they can earn substantially more elsewhere will be happy to stay then I think they are deluding themselves somewhat.

johnnym

by johnnym » 25 Jan 2012 10:06

cos it's likely that there will be a Championship cap and a PL cap, which would be higher. Pretty sure that's what happened last time we went up. Maybe the PL cap will better than last time (iirc, we were priced on on players like Gary O'Neill for that reason) to enable us to secure players, rather than have to plump for Oster.

i don't think we would or should have to break our current championship cap in order to achieve promotion.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 10:53

johnnym cos it's likely that there will be a Championship cap and a PL cap, which would be higher. Pretty sure that's what happened last time we went up. Maybe the PL cap will better than last time (iirc, we were priced on on players like Gary O'Neill for that reason) to enable us to secure players, rather than have to plump for Oster.

i don't think we would or should have to break our current championship cap in order to achieve promotion.

We weren't priced out on Gary O'Neill. Coppell decided against buying him. Besides the problem of holding onto our best players whilst in the Premiership is different to the one of holding on to them whilst running on a supposedly prudent championship budget

The argument being put forward is that somehow we will now as a championship club be able to hold on to our best players if the Premiership clubs come knocking at the door with substantial amounts not just for us in the form of transfer fees but also the player in terms of wages and career progression. All without changing our wage structure. It's a nice thought but I'm just a little doubtful about how that's possible it is in practice.

johnnym

by johnnym » 25 Jan 2012 11:18

you enjoy your doubt then

i'm not doubtful at all thanks 8)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2012 11:19

Vision
johnnym not tricky is it...we won't pay anyone above a capped amount, but rather than then having to look at only spending a total of £X million on players salaries each year, that is now a larger £Ymillion - we could have lots of players on £10k a week, but not one on say £30k a week

Then how are we going to hold onto players that are in demand from other clubs prepared to pay them way over our salary cap.

Thats the big stumbling block in TSI's rhetoric so far for me. If they or indeed McD think they can keep the same wage structure and players who know they can earn substantially more elsewhere will be happy to stay then I think they are deluding themselves somewhat.

we are already very good payers at championship level though, if you are proven/experienced.
so i dont see a problem with this
it just means we now have the fee money to buy when we didnt have it before, and the money to increase the wage bill to afford to pay more players the top whack.
none of that involves breaking the wage structure, which theyve said they wont

will that stop anyone going of man utd come calling? no.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Jan 2012 11:41

Reading are planning a summer swoop for former midfield ball winner Steve Sidwell.

Sidwell was part of the record breaking Reading side that won promotion to the Premier League in 2006 with a record 106 points.

Former Reading captain Graeme Murty is also set to return to the club as a youth coach, as Reading upgrade their successful academy to Grade A status, matching the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2012 11:45

:lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 11:55

melonhead
Vision

we are already very good payers at championship level though, if you are proven/experienced.
so i dont see a problem with this
it just means we now have the fee money to buy when we didnt have it before, and the money to increase the wage bill to afford to pay more players the top whack.
none of that involves breaking the wage structure, which theyve said they wont

will that stop anyone going of man utd come calling? no.

Will it stop players going to the likes of Wolves or West Brom if they're in a higher division is more to the point.

Again you're missing the point I'm making though. It's not about buying players that I'm questioning at this point. What I'm saying is that you'd assume its the highest paid players at the club that other teams want. If we're not going to increase their level of wage to ward off clubs that can offer significantly more then how does TSI think they can hold onto them? The best way of course would be to convince them we have a great chance of promotion ourselves but we've been pretty damn close the last few seasons and it still hasn't helped us.

Time will tell I guess and the will to keep players will be stronger if we don't have to sell to balance the books. As I say I think it's naive to come out with a statement to say we wont need to sell our best players in the future if we're still in the Championship,the players are on championship wages and the Premiership wallets come calling.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Jan 2012 12:03

roadrunner Reading are planning a summer swoop for former midfield ball winner Steve Sidwell.

Sidwell was part of the record breaking Reading side that won promotion to the Premier League in 2006 with a record 106 points.

Former Reading captain Graeme Murty is also set to return to the club as a youth coach, as Reading upgrade their successful academy to Grade A status, matching the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Couldn't quite stretch it to say Barcelona :lol:

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 25 Jan 2012 12:15

I think the more realistic way of looking at it is that we will still be a feeder club, the increased spend on the Academy, and hopefully the better standard of players coming through, will enable us to continue our record of producing players that go on to command top dollar to bigger clubs, we will keep them, up to a point when the 'Big' teams come knocking. By 'big' I mean top 6 or Financially careless. We will be in a better position then to actually return monies gained into the playihg staff, so getting the Maynards, Rhodes, Sharps of this world as they rise. A nice mix of Young talent, both Nurtured and bought in. Team stays young, we stay true to our values, but have a core team that remains year on year.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Jan 2012 12:37

Don't know where to stick this and it's probably rubbish, but Barnsley fans are talking about Howard going back. Mixed feelings about it their end.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 25 Jan 2012 12:38

roadrunner Don't know where to stick this and it's probably rubbish, but Barnsley fans are talking about Howard going back. Mixed feelings about it their end.

I can't see there being mixed feelings from this end though :wink:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Jan 2012 12:43

roadrunner Reading are planning a summer swoop for former midfield ball winner Steve Sidwell.

:roll: And Shorey will return on the left with Kitson and Doyle making the switch from their current Championship destinies no doubt...

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 25 Jan 2012 12:45

roadrunner Don't know where to stick this and it's probably rubbish, but Barnsley fans are talking about Howard going back. Mixed feelings about it their end.

Could have something in it as they lost Danny Drinkwater a few days ago, which I presume has left a sizable hole in their midfield.

Do they have any money though? Or would McDermott be willing to let him out on loan again? Intention appears to be to flog him permanently.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Jan 2012 12:47

Blakey's Right Peg

has left a sizable hole in their midfield.

Well Howard will certainly be able to fill that... etc

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 25 Jan 2012 13:10

:lol:

Although apparently Barnsley have signed Micheal Tonge on loan this week.

I take it Jackett and Millwall didn't particularly rate Howard then? Heard next to nothing about them wanting him back.

1031 posts