RUMOUR - James McClean

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

RUMOUR - James McClean

by RoyalJames101 » 20 Jun 2011 21:25

Never heard of this guy before, currently plays for Derry. Saw a post on Hunty's Twitter saying how he'll have to look after him and show him the best place for new boots. Also says on his own Twitter "exciten times at the moment hopin all will be sorted soon :)!"

Could he be a player that McDermott was watching when he's been over to Ireland?

UpNorth

Re: James McClean

by UpNorth » 20 Jun 2011 22:17

A winger - sounds an excellent propsect.

The extract below is from the local Derry Journal:

Derry City striker Eamon Zayed believes the club “will find it hard” to keep Derry winger James McClean at the Brandywell.

It’s been reported in recent weeks that the 22 year-old Derry player has been attracting the attention of several English clubs and should they come calling Zayed thinks that it will be hard to convince him to stay.

“James [McClean] has been flying this season and to be fair I think we are going to find it hard to hold on to him. Whether it’s the summer or the end of the year it’s going to be hard to keep such a talented player.

“There’s no doubt that there’s interest in James from other clubs. Everyday I read about a different club who are watching and would you blame them? - he’s been brilliant this season.”

Zayed was speaking after Derry’s 3-0 win over Bohemians at the Brandywell on Friday evening. Zayed scored twice against the Gypsies and heaped praise upon McClean who set-up Gareth McGlynn for the opener and Zayed for his 83rd minute strike.

“It was an unbelievable cross from James – it was so good that it was nearly impossible for me to miss from that distance,” said Zayed.

“James can score goals, his athleticism is amazing and he has real pace. James’s crossing was brilliant tonight and not just for the goals – he put in a few decent crosses in the first half that we were unlucky not to score from.”

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 21 Jun 2011 07:52

“It was an unbelievable cross from James – it was so good that it was nearly impossible for me to miss from that distance,” said Zayed.

“James can score goals, his athleticism is amazing and he has real pace. James’s crossing was brilliant tonight and not just for the goals – he put in a few decent crosses in the first half that we were unlucky not to score from.”

Sounds perfect, and another Irish lad with fire in his belly and the drive to prove himself.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Jun 2011 08:31

Looks like this is being reported by some guy from RTE on twitter, James on his own twitter was obviously non-committal as to whether it's true

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 21 Jun 2011 09:10

Does this means that one of our wingers is on his way then? We do, in theory at least, currently have back-ups for each of our wingers.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jun 2011 09:47

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Does this means that one of our wingers is on his way then? We do, in theory at least, currently have back-ups for each of our wingers.

It seems likely that we'll lose Kebe this summer (if a few of the rumours are true of course) but even if we don't we need from proper competition because as it stands Kebe and McAnuff are automatic picks if fit and available.

Robson-Kanu has improved and next year is a big one for him, but Antonio isn't really there yet, and seems a long way off. He might well have fallen out of favour a bit too.

A cheap half decent winger who could put real pressure on McAnuff and Kebe and also chip in with a few more goals would be a sensible signing.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Jun 2011 17:22

Derry City winger James McLean admits he would welcome the opportunity to test himself in England but claims no offers have been made.

The 22-year-old is reported to be attracting interest from the Championship, with Blackpool thought to be leading the chase.

Ian Holloway is said to be looking to Irish football for fresh faces this summer, with the Seasiders boss still working to a tight budget despite last season's dalliance with the Premier League.

It is reported that Blackpool have already seen one bid for McLean knocked back, but are preparing to return with an improved offer.

The Derry playmaker is aware of the speculation linking him with a move to England and claims to be flattered by it.

He has, however, been quick to point out that no deal has been put to him as yet, suggesting a switch is still some way off.

McLean said in the Blackpool Gazette: "Every player wants to improve and play at the highest level possible, and I'm no different.

"Should an offer come in from a good club, then I would certainly sit up, take advice on the matter and move on.

"I've heard stories about scouts watching me from West Ham, Reading, Blackpool and Burnley, among others, but I've heard nothing."

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - James McClean

by Sarah Star » 05 Jul 2011 11:40

THE race to sign Derry City star, James McClean, has intensified with the news that representatives from Reading will be present at Brandywell this Friday night to run their eyes over the Airtricity League’s leading left winger.

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/royal ... _1_2833316

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 05 Jul 2011 12:01

Happy with that. He sounds like a promising player. Hopefully having a few of the Irish lads here can swing it if we do want him.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 05 Jul 2011 12:04

Maybe Wolves can make a payment in lieu if he does come here

royal67

by royal67 » 05 Jul 2011 12:05

If it's true that Everton are also looking at this player, do we have much of a chance in securing his services if they decide they want him ..??

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 05 Jul 2011 12:07

royal67 If it's true that Everton are also looking at this player, do we have much of a chance in securing his services if they decide they want him ..??

Why not? We have history of bringing in Irish lads and them making something of themselves here - Dave Mooney the exception. Will he get a real chance at Everton? It's hard to see that he will, where as here he would push the first team from the off.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Jul 2011 12:14

Irish right winger?

Sounds like he will be the bomb

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 05 Jul 2011 12:24

roadrunner
royal67 If it's true that Everton are also looking at this player, do we have much of a chance in securing his services if they decide they want him ..??

Why not? We have history of bringing in Irish lads and them making something of themselves here - Dave Mooney the exception. Will he get a real chance at Everton? It's hard to see that he will, where as here he would push the first team from the off.

Are we forgetting Alan Bennett?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 05 Jul 2011 12:25

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 05,00.html

Derry City winger James McClean admits he is keen to join a bigger club amid speculation linking him with Reading.

Reports have surfaced that Royals boss Brian McDermott will travel to Northern Ireland on Friday evening to watch the 22-year-old in action.

A host of Premier League and Championship clubs including Everton, Wigan and Watford have also been linked with McClean, while Blackpool are thought to have had a bid rejected by Derry.

Interest
The forward insists he is unaware of any concrete interest in his services, but admits he would be tempted by a move.

"Of course I would love to move across the Channel and secure a contract with a high profile club," McClean told the Derry Journal.

"But I've learned over recent weeks that these things don't happen every day.

"Obviously, I've read a few stories in relation to me moving but, as I've always said, until (manager) Stephen Kenny tells me otherwise, I will remain totally committed to Derry City.

"I've also read reports that this Friday's game against Shamrock Rovers will be my last for Derry, but I find that an amazing statement to say the least.

"I've been told that such and such have been watching me play but - and I'm being totally honest - I know absolutely nothing about approaches or offers as no one has told me anything."

While reluctant to let McClean leave Derry, manager Kenny admits it is likely the talented youngster will move on.

Inevitable
"The feeling within Derry is it appears to be inevitable that he will realise his ambition and a move to the UK is certainly a strong possibility," he said.

"I believed that at the start of the season and his progression has strengthened that belief.

"He's not only a great lad, but has a great attitude and he's developed quite a lot over the past two seasons.

"As long as he continues to enjoy his football and continue to do well, the rest will look after itself."

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Jul 2011 12:37

Apparently he's the new George Best.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 05 Jul 2011 12:39

Norfolk Royal Apparently he's the new George Best.

:D > :shock:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 05 Jul 2011 12:45

Norfolk Royal Apparently he's the new George Best.

All Paddy's like a drink. :wink:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Jul 2011 13:05

YateleyRoyal http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_7021505,00.html

Derry City winger James McClean admits he is keen to join a bigger club amid speculation linking him with Reading.

"Of course I would love to move across the Channel and secure a contract with a high profile club," McClean told the Derry Journal.

His geography is rubbish though; its the Irish Sea rather than the English Channel - unless he means he wants to play on the Continent.....

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 05 Jul 2011 13:25

leicsRoyal Maybe Wolves can make a payment in lieu if he does come here

I quite literally LOL'd. :D