Rumour - Michael Owen

264 posts
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Michael Owen

by cmonurz » 17 May 2012 18:48

buzzby I'm still gutted that Owen never forfilled his true potential. I honestly thought he would end up one of the best strikers we've seen.

This, 40 England goals at 28, he looked nailed on to sail past Charlton's record.

Just thought when he broke into the Liverpool team we had just been relegated to League One and Peter Van der Kwaak was our keeper, to think all these years later Owen being talked of as a potential signing. :mrgreen:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 May 2012 21:12

I'd take him for a year honestly as long as his wage demands were realistic. He's a natural goalscorer and could still contribute to a prem team if fully fit. Need to be realistic with this though and no way would I break the bank for him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2012 22:49

largetrousers
paultheroyal
largetrousers If McDermott sees him as the right fit, and he proves his fitness, I reckon it'd be worth a gamble. Having the options of Roberts, Rhodes :wink: , Owen, Le Fondre and Hunt as forwards sounds very good, with Church going on loan to a championship side. Based on the 25 player rule, 5 forwards sounds ideal, no more, no less.

Minimum 45k a week gamble - no thanks.

That works out just over 2.3 million in wages...for a 1 year contract to prove his worth (as he's on a free), we're not likely to get a player of his calibre (on his day) for that money. Also the new investors would be creaming themselves with the amount of printed shirts they'd sell on the back-end of buying someone like Owen.

Ferdinand and Keown all over again, no thanks.

Extra cash better spent in securing Zaha or similar!

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

by buzzby » 18 May 2012 00:39

cmonurz
buzzby I'm still gutted that Owen never forfilled his true potential. I honestly thought he would end up one of the best strikers we've seen.

This, 40 England goals at 28, he looked nailed on to sail past Charlton's record.

Just thought when he broke into the Liverpool team we had just been relegated to League One and Peter Van der Kwaak was our keeper, to think all these years later Owen being talked of as a potential signing. :mrgreen:

cmonurz as soon as I posted that I watched that Argentina goal.........Still get goosebumps now.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 18 May 2012 02:23

agreed, tho i was worried roberts deal would turn into a another ferdinand/keown/goater disaster - how wrong was i

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2012 11:05

royalsteve

agreed, tho i was worried roberts deal would turn into a another ferdinand/keown/goater disaster - how wrong was i

Goater was not a disaster. He scored 14 goals and was top scorer in his first season with us. That's more than anyone got this season.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 May 2012 12:15

If wages could be reasonably set or a pay as you play deal struck I'd say take the chance.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 18 May 2012 13:09

I must admit provided a deal is agreed that is bent towards a low basic and large playing/scoring bonuses, what's the problem? Any player that is unproven at this or any level there will be a risk, for every Doyle there is an Emerse Fae (or Sean Evers for those of us that remember him!) When I think of the wages that I have seen tied up in some dross over the years that we couldn't shift cos no one else would be stupid enough to buy them, I think he is worth a punt.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 20 May 2012 00:47

Ian Royal
royalsteve

Goater was not a disaster. He scored 14 goals and was top scorer in his first season with us. That's more than anyone got this season.

he was a disaster - did you see him play!! a shadow of the man city legend - decent bloke tho

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 20 May 2012 08:32

royalsteve
Ian Royal

he was a disaster - did you see him play!! a shadow of the man city legend - decent bloke tho[/quote]

I really can not understand why people persist with this Goater knocking. It is totally unfair and totally wrong. He did a tidy job for us when he first came, at a difficult time after Parjudas went, and scored some great goals. He had a distinguished career and we were lucky to have him at the MadStad if even for a short period. It was only cos he didn't fit in to Coppell's plans that he didn't get a fair chance during his second season with us.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 20 May 2012 08:43

This is the club that wouldn't take a punt on BWP and a dodgy knee- when we were a bit poor and a bit desperate. I cannot conceive the circumstance where, now it seems we are less poor and less desperate, that we would be risking any of our moderate budget on a player that used to be very very very good.
You don't get points for reputation.
You don't get bums on seats in the treatment room.

The club is moving forward- I would eat SJM's wig if this was even considered.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 20 May 2012 08:50

exileinleeds The club is moving forward- I would eat SJM's wig if this was even considered.

Quoted for future reference.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2012 11:16

exileinleeds This is the club that wouldn't take a punt on BWP and a dodgy knee- when we were a bit poor and a bit desperate. I cannot conceive the circumstance where, now it seems we are less poor and less desperate, that we would be risking any of our moderate budget on a player that used to be very very very good.
You don't get points for reputation.
You don't get bums on seats in the treatment room.

The club is moving forward- I would eat SJM's wig if this was even considered.

I would suggest there is a bit of a difference between BWP and Owen. One a player who would have been bought for the long-term who was relatively unproven at our level at the time. The other someone who would be in for the short-term to add experience and quality, who is proven at the absolute highest level.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 20 May 2012 13:53

Stoke City's Chairman has confirmed they're interested in bringing him to Stoke.

I know when fit he would be an excellent signing, but you'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 20 May 2012 21:51

Has there ever been a player with such potential blighted so much by injury?

I'm hoping Wilshere won't face such problems.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 May 2012 08:19

M-U-R-T-Y Has there ever been a player with such potential blighted so much by injury?

Ronaldo

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 21 May 2012 08:26

Friday's Legacy Stoke City's Chairman has confirmed they're interested in bringing him to Stoke.

I know when fit he would be an excellent signing, but you'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him.

Perfect fit, neither of them have played any football for the past 3 years.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 21 May 2012 08:58

6ft Kerplunk
M-U-R-T-Y Has there ever been a player with such potential blighted so much by injury?

Ronaldo

Duncan Edwards.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 May 2012 09:05

RIP

and then RVP?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 21 May 2012 09:47

The lad Lake at Man City was a wonderful player destined for big things.
As for Owen there is surely no way that he would come south with the racing stables in Cheshire playing such a big part in his life.

264 posts