614 posts
Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by Dare to Dr£am » 31 Aug 2012 19:55

Libertine
winchester_royal
Libertine
That isn't even walking around money for a PL club...it is more like spare change at the bottom of your pocket.

I'm so glad that those in charge don't think like this.

How much money do you think RFC will make this year out of interest?

How much do we stand to lose if we go right back down? As incredibly difficult as it is to get to the PL it is much more difficult to stay there.

And Pog has a release clause if we go down.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 19:56

winchester_royal And you think signing Zaha will guarantee our survival?

Nothing in life is "guaranteed" but any/all additions to the squad will make it that much less difficult...

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 19:57

There are no guarantees of survival but you can improve your chances which is what most of our rivals are doing today.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:57

And you think signing Zaha will guarantee our survival?[/quote]

It doesnt but leasts gives us more options

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 19:58

Dare to Dr£am And Pog has a release clause if we go down.

I'm sure he does. I'd expect him to leave if we go right back down and will not have one bit of ill will towards him when he leaves if it ends up coming to pass...
Last edited by Libertine on 31 Aug 2012 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 31 Aug 2012 19:58

two hours until hobnob goes into meltdown

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 19:59

pea two hours until hobnob goes into meltdown

:lol:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Aug 2012 19:59

Libertine

Nothing in life is "guaranteed" but any/all additions to the squad will make it that much less difficult...

Yes but it's up to the management to decide how much effect each addition will have, and then come to a price they would be willing to pay.

Personally I think £6m is an awful lot of money to spend on a guy that hasn't show the quality that would significantly improve out team.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 20:00

winchester_royal
Libertine

Yes but it's up to the management to decide how much effect each addition will have, and then come to a price they would be willing to pay.

Personally I think £6m is an awful lot of money to spend on a guy that hasn't show the quality that would significantly improve out team.

Well now being in the PL, as the saying goes, the price of poker just went up.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 20:01

Ideal Jordan Ayew is what, 20 years old and plays for Marseille?
Only 7 goals last season, but played most of their matches, and then he's only 20! And has played champions league football.
To me that sounds like a player who is well worth £5M, I don't see any logic in dropping off at £4M.

I don't know much about this Zaha bloke, but isn't he something like 20 years old and an England Under 21 player? Doesn't sound like £5M is expensive for what you're getting, as compared to £4M.

Jordan Ayew is 5mill in euros so is even a better bye next year here be prob be worth 7.5mill
Last edited by ManchesterRoyals on 31 Aug 2012 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Aug 2012 20:02

Which is why we've spent more money (both in terms of fees and wages) this window than ever before in our history.

We clearly don't think Zaha isn't worth what Palace think he is and won't be held hostage...I don't see what the problem is here tbh :|

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 31 Aug 2012 20:02

ManchesterRoyals
Only 7 goals last season, but played most of their matches, and then he's only 20! And has played champions league football.
To me that sounds like a player who is well worth £5M, I don't see any logic in dropping off at £4M.

I don't know much about this Zaha bloke, but isn't he something like 20 years old and an England Under 21 player? Doesn't sound like £5M is expensive for what you're getting, as compared to £4M.

Jordan Ayew is 5mill in euros so is even a better bye next year here be worth 7.5mill

Dammit! I know we won't sign anyone but someone had to say this guys name again...

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 31 Aug 2012 20:02

It's simple:

1) Two weeks ago I was quite happy with the squad. Might have a bit of a relegation scare and mid table mediocrity and then I saw the Stoke and Chelsea games and thought: "All's right with the world - we've thrown away five points but the performances were good. We won't miss those points at the end of the season."

2) Then I've seen the signings - and performances - of others around us, noticeably Swansea and Micchu and Picchu or whatever their names are. 4 Million squid for them in total plus sensible wages....

3) Then I look at how we havecomparatively weakened over the past couple of weeks ... with a dodgy keeper to boot.

This is singularly the most important season to stay in the Prem. Next season the TV money is stratospheric and you have to be in it to, ummm, coin it. Game over for any club that isn't.

hashtagthepog

by hashtagthepog » 31 Aug 2012 20:09

Dick Habbin's hairdo It's simple:

1) Two weeks ago I was quite happy with the squad. Might have a bit of a relegation scare and mid table mediocrity and then I saw the Stoke and Chelsea games and thought: "All's right with the world - we've thrown away five points but the performances were good. We won't miss those points at the end of the season."

2) Then I've seen the signings - and performances - of others around us, noticeably Swansea and Micchu and Picchu or whatever their names are. 4 Million squid for them in total plus sensible wages....

3) Then I look at how we havecomparatively weakened over the past couple of weeks ... with a dodgy keeper to boot.

This is singularly the most important season to stay in the Prem. Next season the TV money is stratospheric and you have to be in it to, ummm, coin it. Game over for any club that isn't.

Gotta agree

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Aug 2012 20:10

Looks to me like BM wants to stay loyal to the players that got us here if only for one season, frankly I think thats foolish reasoning with the huge amounts of money on offer next season..but hey what do I know?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Aug 2012 20:11

akranes
ManchesterRoyals

Jordan Ayew is 5mill in euros so is even a better bye next year here be worth 7.5mill

Dammit! I know we won't sign anyone but someone had to say this guys name again...

For pity's sake, admit it. Until about a week ago you'd never heard of him. Now entirely based on paper talk and sundry gossip, he's worth five million and Reading shouldn't be quibbling over a million here or there. Can't you trust the organization to make its own considered judgment about what a player might be worth to it?

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 20:12

windermere_royal Looks to me like BM wants to stay loyal to the players that got us here if only for one season, frankly I think thats foolish reasoning with the huge amounts of money on offer next season..but hey what do I know?

I agree but thats very very risky

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Aug 2012 20:13

How do you know that we are refusing to pay the extra? The stumbling block (if we're even in for them in the first place), could be anything. They might want all the money up front, they might want a huge sell on clause, or a sack load of cash if they reach a certain number of games.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of the budget for the right player, but if we get bullied into paying more than we're prepared to every time we sign a player, we'll soon end up without any cash to spend at all.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 20:16

Esteban

How do you know that we are refusing to pay the extra? The stumbling block (if we're even in for them in the first place), could be anything. They might want all the money up front, they might want a huge sell on clause, or a sack load of cash if they reach a certain number of games.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of the budget for the right player, but if we get bullied into paying more than we're prepared to every time we sign a player, we'll soon end up without any cash to spend at all.

If u want the best players u got to pay the demands that clubs players agents want thats football

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 31 Aug 2012 20:20

Arch
akranes

For pity's sake, admit it. Until about a week ago you'd never heard of him. Now entirely based on paper talk and sundry gossip, he's worth five million and Reading shouldn't be quibbling over a million here or there. Can't you trust the organization to make its own considered judgment about what a player might be worth to it?

Football Manager + the prospect of relatively unknown foreign players (who are potentially overhyped) has admittedly got the better of me.
Exactly the same with Gunter - too excited to see a more attack minded player, which from what I've seen of Chelsea tonight, has been their downfall.
Last edited by akranes on 31 Aug 2012 20:26, edited 3 times in total.

614 posts