winchester_royal That's what they have medicals for. :|

:|

Worked well for Sunderland last year...

Villa*

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Aug 2012 19:02

Southampton go and sign one of the most coveted players in Europe and we cannot stump up a few extra quid for Zaha... :roll:

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 31 Aug 2012 19:03

LoyalRoyalFan Southampton go and sign one of the most coveted players in Europe and we cannot stump up a few extra quid for Zaha... :roll:

Our squad is great and I'm happy with the transfers... but why when a team says offer a million more do we tell them to **** off?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 31 Aug 2012 19:05

TBM
Gary Neville: "What the transfer deadline gives you is a clear indication of which are the badly run football clubs!"

If this is the case then let us rejoice in being the only well run team in the Premier League. Yay.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 31 Aug 2012 19:06

If it had been status quo then I would not have worried too much about not making any more signings.

However since all of our rivals have strengthened since we completed our last signing, then it is at best naive and at worst arrogant to still consider our current squad good enough. The benchmark has moved on (again).

Our squad is now significantly weaker comparatively than it was a week ago.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:07

Seal If it had been status quo then I would not have worried too much about not making any more signings.

However since all of our rivals have strengthened since we completed our last signing, then it is at best naive and at worst arrogant to still consider our current squad good enough. The benchmark has moved on (again).

1+

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Aug 2012 19:08

Owen and Jenas still heavily linked with us.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:12

By winning the Championship its worth about £100m so can someone explain where the moneys frigging gone?

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:13

LoyalRoyalFan Owen and Jenas still heavily linked with us.

Please be not true

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 19:14

LoyalRoyalFan Southampton go and sign one of the most coveted players in Europe and we cannot stump up a few extra quid for Zaha... :roll:

A real statement of intent from Saints. That is a top signing.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 31 Aug 2012 19:15

ManchesterRoyals By winning the Championship its worth about £100m so can someone explain where the moneys frigging gone?

Honestly? I think Anton is creating a revolutionary new Russian vodka and plans to take money out of the club to fund it. The project is set to cost over £3 billion.

Footballers play a key role in this interesting new development on the vodka frontier. All hail mother russia!

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 31 Aug 2012 19:15

ManchesterRoyals
LoyalRoyalFan Owen and Jenas still heavily linked with us.

Please be not true

These two players have something in common - their agents are desperate to palm them off to any Premier League club that will take them, Story has only come from one place...

themadstad

by themadstad » 31 Aug 2012 19:16

Seal If it had been status quo then I would not have worried too much about not making any more signings.

Agree with this and considering the clubs' plans it seems odd.

Expectation is there this time compared to our last promotion what with all we've been told.

themadstad

by themadstad » 31 Aug 2012 19:19

This £100 million which is indeed said to be more like £90 is the expected increase in revenue for a season in the premier league and the 4 years of parachute payments. It's not just a windfall.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:20

themadstad

Agree with this and considering the clubs' plans it seems odd.

Expectation is there this time compared to our last promotion what with all we've been told.

I think to be honest when we went up last time are squad was stronger than the squad we have now

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 19:21

themadstad This £100 million which is indeed said to be more like £90 is the expected increase in revenue for a season in the premier league and the 4 years of parachute payments. It's not just a windfall.

A season in the premier league of television monies is worth more than a seasons parachute payment, so it might be a decent business plan to stay here for more than one season.

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 31 Aug 2012 19:22

ManchesterRoyals By winning the Championship its worth about £100m so can someone explain where the moneys frigging gone?

Actually I think winning the Championship is worth £250,000.

The other quoted money is down to TV payments, and the parachute payments you get for 3 years if you are relegated.

I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking you get about 40 million trickled over the year, and you get about 20 million a year if you are relegated.
Thats how they get to the figure you are thinking of.

Now bearing in mind the wages have all gone up, and we probably only have been given 1/12 of the 40 million by now, I'd say we have around 3 million to spend about now. And I would be prepared to bet a lot of that has been spent already.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 19:24

themadstad This £100 million which is indeed said to be more like £90 is the expected increase in revenue for a season in the premier league and the 4 years of parachute payments. It's not just a windfall.

Yeah but surly we have a bit more money to spend in the transfer market than what we have spent sounds like the days of madejski again

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 31 Aug 2012 19:27

Ideal
leicsRoyal I'm not sure which I am more concerned about.

Us not looking at signing anyone
Or
Some of the players that our likely relegation rivals are bringing in.

Remember it is not just the quality of the individual players that matters, it is the effect of team as a unit which matters most.
Unfortunately our individual players are quite poor in certain positions..

Honestly I feel a bit of doom & gloom, we might well go down this season, what with our spastic goalie and our geriatric left back.

When you look at some of the signings that the suspected bottom half teams are making, it's worrying.
The premier league is becoming a billionaires playground, thank god we have one. Can someone now tell him to stick SSN on as it's deadline day.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 Aug 2012 19:29

ManchesterRoyals

Yeah but surly we have a bit more money to spend in the transfer market than what we have spent sounds like the days of madejski again

The owners want the club to make a profit, once they've covered the losses from last season, the big wage hike this year and made sure there's enough in the bank to pay for the stadium expansion it doesn't leave a huge amount for transfers.

614 posts