Official Deadline Day Thread......

614 posts
Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 21:08

Shit, it just isn't here. Liverpool won't increase their bid to meet Villa's offer to Fulham of £5M up front and £2M at the end of the season for Clint Dempsey. Hell that isn't much more than what was being asked for Ayew...

Some teams just look unwilling, or unable, to spend anymore at this point...it appears including us.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:08

paultheroyal
Royal Rother I want it all and I want it NOW!

Just want something, would be nice!

I would have even been happy with andy carroll and i cant stand the oxf*rd

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 Aug 2012 21:09

cmonurz
JS28ZoD
What guarantees Rhodes or Zaha being better than Powell?

If Palace want £3m for Zaha, pay it. If it's £4m, pay it.

Yeah that was probably King Kenny's thought process as he was signing Henderson, Downing and Adam.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 21:10

cmonurz
JS28ZoD

This sort of attitude gets to me and I hope it's not something that runs through RFC. There is no guarantee. Every transfer is a risk. Zaha's right leg could fall off tomorrow, who knows.

We are showing no signs of learning the lessons of our last visit to the Premier League - if the rumours that we are pulling out of deals for unfavourable loan terms, or £1m extra up front, are true. Where is the ambition? If Marseille want £5m for Ayew, and McDermott thinks he's the business, then pay it. This isn't like buying a used car, ffs, you don't threaten to storm out and wait for the salesman to make you a better deal.

If Palace want £3m for Zaha, pay it. If it's £4m, pay it. We aren't as far as rumours go, talking insane money for these players, just a decent rate for genuine quality. If we won't pay that, then we don't belong here at all.

As for Powell, as I said earlier, a big *shrug* from me. If we sign him, great, he scored some goals and looked class for Crewe. Do I think he will help us stay up? Well many on here doubted Rhodes could, and he has much more of a pedigree. I want our sights set higher than an 18 year old from League 2.

Could of been me writing this. Spot on cmonurz. I am disillusioned tonight!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Aug 2012 21:12

Dare to Dr£am
Strength in depth we do not have.

In Federici, Gunter, Pearce, Karacan, McCleary, Guthrie, Pog and Roberts I feel we have Premiership quality.

This is the crux of it. It's not about wanting everything now, a point RR predictably made. We are desperately short of depth in this squad. Injuries of some sort can be expected - some even at the same time. With the greatest of respect to our squad, the likes of Robson-Kanu, Hunt, Tabb and Gunnarsson are not going to keep us in this league.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Aug 2012 21:14

Simon's Church
cmonurz
JS28ZoD

If Palace want £3m for Zaha, pay it. If it's £4m, pay it.

Yeah that was probably King Kenny's thought process as he was signing Henderson, Downing and Adam.

Well no, you've half-quoted me and changed the emphasis of my post. As I said above, we are not talking about insane prices for these players - the amounts Liverpool paid for Henderson and Downing were ridiculous. A combined £8-9m for two quality attacking midfielders to play in the Premier League, is not. I'm taking Ayew's quality as given, as McDermott clearly rates him, but if we won't pay these fees for these players, it stands to reason we won't pay these fees for anyone.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 31 Aug 2012 21:14

ManchesterRoyals
windermere_royal i cant believe we didn`t learn our lesson the last time we were up at this level :shock:

1+

Even southampton are doing business

We've done business, we just did it early, which has allowed our players to settle in. The Pog, Guthrie, Mariappa, McCleary, Shorey, Gunter and Taylor. I don't remember us signing that many players for our first season in the Premier League (which we stayed up in anyway).

I feel it was our mistake in not signing anyone for the second season in the Premiership which cost us last time and which we need to learn from.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:16

I feel it was our mistake in not signing anyone for the second season in the Premiership which cost us last time and which we need to learn from.[/quote]

But have we learned from it?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Aug 2012 21:16

Stuboo
ManchesterRoyals
windermere_royal i cant believe we didn`t learn our lesson the last time we were up at this level :shock:

1+

Even southampton are doing business

We've done business, we just did it early, which has allowed our players to settle in. The Pog, Guthrie, Mariappa, McCleary, Shorey, Gunter and Taylor. I don't remember us signing that many players for our first season in the Premier League (which we stayed up in anyway).

I feel it was our mistake in not signing anyone for the second season in the Premiership which cost us last time and which we need to learn from.

We had a vastly superior squad when we were promoted in '06.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:20

We had a vastly superior squad when we were promoted in '06.[/quote]

I agree i think the sqaud in 06 was far better the the squad now

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 31 Aug 2012 21:21

You only have to look at our club record transfer fee to show that we see things in a different light to many other clubs....

With the new TV deal coming, this is the most financially lucrative period to be in and stay in the premiership...I hope BM is serious that this squad is good enough to stay up ...and he isn't being weak and pandering to the powers that be, because whilst Madejski may have been reluctant to change BM if the need arose, I am not so sure that the Russians would be as accommodating...

I think we made some good acquisitions early on..but not enough of them ...BM is staying loyal to too many and that restricts the ability to bring in better players than we have currently in the squad

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 21:22

ManchesterRoyals

Absolute and utter nonsense.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 31 Aug 2012 21:24

The difference with 06 is............. nothing bloody Madejski still here sticky his oar in the Bloody Reading way :roll:

Congrats to are fellow promoted teams Southampton and Wet Sham, some very good signings and a clear statement they want to stay up

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 31 Aug 2012 21:26

ManchesterRoyals I feel it was our mistake in not signing anyone for the second season in the Premiership which cost us last time and which we need to learn from.

But have we learned from it?

I'm pretty confident we have. We'll have to wait and see for the second season I guess.

I believe the squad we have now will keep us up this season.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 31 Aug 2012 21:27

Royal Rother
ManchesterRoyals

Show's what you know Rother :roll: unbelievable if you think this squad is better, want a bet we won't finish better than 7th ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 21:28

Tamworth_Royal The difference with 06 is............. nothing bloody Madejski still here sticky his oar in the Bloody Reading way :roll:

Congrats to are fellow promoted teams Southampton and Wet Sham, some very good signings and a clear statement they want to stay up

:lol:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Aug 2012 21:29

Well at least we haven't had to sell anyone (looking at the glass as being half filled)... :roll:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:30

Royal Rother
ManchesterRoyals

Really we finished 8 that year could have even made Europe if we had beat watford at home

Can u see us doing that this season?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Aug 2012 21:31

Libertine Well at least we haven't had to sell anyone (looking at the glass as being half filled)... :roll:

yea Church is still here.............god help us :shock:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:31

I believe the squad we have now will keep us up this season.[/quote]

But we wont finish above 06 squad

614 posts