Transfer Deadline Day. Real intel only!

525 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Transfer Deadline Day. Real intel only!

by Snowball » 31 Jan 2013 16:05

MmmMonsterMunch Oooooooh I have some real intel. Could be very exciting if true!!!

isn't "REAL intel" and "IF true" a contradiction in terms?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Jan 2013 16:06

Snowball
MmmMonsterMunch Oooooooh I have some real intel. Could be very exciting if true!!!

isn't "REAL intel" and "IF true" a contradiction in terms?

Ha ha yes you got me.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Jan 2013 16:06

Big Ern
howser With the utmost respect to who we have signed, Is this going to be a window that has regularly seen us within touching distance of "stella" players but will again fall into the "we tried to do some business but in the end this wasn't possible" ???

This..

If we do go down now, it will be the same mistakes as last time in the Prem and the board should take all the blame.

Reluctantly, +1.

There has to come a point where you look at your approach and question whether it’s that that is wrong, and not simply that things haven’t quite ‘fallen into place’ at transfer time. A comment Ern made earlier hit the nail on the head – despite affluent owners, the sale of a number of players for high fees over the last few years, and three years spent in the Premier League (and the parachute payments that entitles us to), we really do seem to be the only club involved in this league for whom only financial armageddon awaits if we spend a few million on a single player.

It remains to be seen who we actually tried to sign in this window, and the reasons why we didn’t – I guess we’ll never know. But when you’re a team with a bit of money behind you (apparently) and fighting relegation, it’s demoralising, and confusing, to hear that we’ve dropped out of an apparently developed deal for Ince, haven’t bothered with Curtis Davies, or Danny Graham, or that African midfielder we were after in the summer, or didn’t want to pay an extra million for Zaha, or Rhodes, or won’t pay one of our best players an extra £5k a week, and so on and so on.

Three seasons in the Premier League, and our record signing remains Emerse Fae. Of course there are bargains to be had – Akpan and Le Fondre showed that last night – but equally to succeed at this level you have to bring in proven quality players, improve the team in key positions, build your team around that nucleus and let younger, less experienced players flourish.

If we want to establish ourselves as a Premier League side, we will absolutely have to take a (calculated) risk at some point, whether that is when we come up, or to improve the squad in the January transfer window. That we are, it seems, about to reach the end of our 6th transfer window as a Premier League side without making a major investment in that side, is as disappointing as it is totally bizarre.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Jan 2013 16:08

cmonurz
Big Ern
howser With the utmost respect to who we have signed, Is this going to be a window that has regularly seen us within touching distance of "stella" players but will again fall into the "we tried to do some business but in the end this wasn't possible" ???

This..

If we do go down now, it will be the same mistakes as last time in the Prem and the board should take all the blame.

Reluctantly, +1.

There has to come a point where you look at your approach and question whether it’s that that is wrong, and not simply that things haven’t quite ‘fallen into place’ at transfer time. A comment Ern made earlier hit the nail on the head – despite affluent owners, the sale of a number of players for high fees over the last few years, and three years spent in the Premier League (and the parachute payments that entitles us to), we really do seem to be the only club involved in this league for whom only financial armageddon awaits if we spend a few million on a single player.

It remains to be seen who we actually tried to sign in this window, and the reasons why we didn’t – I guess we’ll never know. But when you’re a team with a bit of money behind you (apparently) and fighting relegation, it’s demoralising, and confusing, to hear that we’ve dropped out of an apparently developed deal for Ince, haven’t bothered with Curtis Davies, or Danny Graham, or that African midfielder we were after in the summer, or didn’t want to pay an extra million for Zaha, or Rhodes, or won’t pay one of our best players an extra £5k a week, and so on and so on.

Three seasons in the Premier League, and our record signing remains Emerse Fae. Of course there are bargains to be had – Akpan and Le Fondre showed that last night – but equally to succeed at this level you have to bring in proven quality players, improve the team in key positions, build your team around that nucleus and let younger, less experienced players flourish.

If we want to establish ourselves as a Premier League side, we will absolutely have to take a (calculated) risk at some point, whether that is when we come up, or to improve the squad in the January transfer window. That we are, it seems, about to reach the end of our 6th transfer window as a Premier League side without making a major investment in that side, is as disappointing as it is totally bizarre.

I agree totally

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 31 Jan 2013 16:09

ITK signing

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Jan 2013 16:10

The Prisoner ITK signing

The Rouge will explode with excitement.

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Jan 2013 16:20

ManchesterRoyals Why dont they come out and say if theres money or not

One min there is then theres not

It is frustrating waiting to see if something will happen, but coming out and saying we've got money is a bit foolish. It'll just drive the price up of any players we might interested in signing.

And to be honest, £300k bought us Adam Le Fondre and I wouldn't want us to be without him this season. Akpan showed some class with his two assists last night (in some ways, I think his cushioned header for the second was as good as the through ball for the first) and he only cost £350k.

I would love Reading to bring in a player that makes everybody sit up and take notice of us; but there is just as much satisfaction, if not more, watching Alfie stick the ball in the net against players that cost half (or more) of what it cost AZ to buy the whole of Reading FC. I read on here somewhere that Chelsea have 23 players out on loan at the moment, that cost them a combined total of £80m in transfer fees. Out on loan! And yet £650k bought us two really good goals and a point against them.

If we don't get anybody else in this window I'd be a little disappointed, but I don't think it'll be for a lack of trying or hoping to do things on the cheap. I can only guess, but I reckon that we would pay out a fee of several millions, if we felt the player and deal was right for us.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Jan 2013 16:22

Esteban but I reckon that we would pay out a fee of several millions, if we felt the player and deal was right for us.

As I said above, don't you ever wonder why we can never, ever, find that deal that is 'right for us'?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Jan 2013 16:23

cmonurz
Big Ern

This..

Reluctantly, +1.

Well that's the way it happens here, and the quicker you make peace with that, the easier it'll be. This business is run as a business, and not as a rich man's play thing. RFC works hard and earns it's purchases which are relevant to the level of the club, and i'm proud of that. What's happening at QPR is truly embarrassing. Long may fiscal prudence reign supreme.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Jan 2013 16:23

cmonurz That we are, it seems, about to reach the end of our 6th transfer window as a Premier League side without making a major investment in that side, is as disappointing as it is totally bizarre.

Sums it up perfectly. Despite the pats on the back for unearthing a few gems, a damning but true summary on the clubs policies. Maybe it will work, for the odd season maybe, but we simply cannot sustain ourself at the top table of English football by doing this.

Something has to change in our approach, not dramatically, but change nonetheless or it will always be a case of "close but no cigar." Unfortunately, I don't think it will anytime soon.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 31 Jan 2013 16:24

cmonurz
Esteban but I reckon that we would pay out a fee of several millions, if we felt the player and deal was right for us.

As I said above, don't you ever wonder why we can never, ever, find that deal that is 'right for us'?

Because it's difficult to buy proven players for transfer fees and wages which we're willing to fund, and the club are generally unwilling to spend several million on players that are gambles.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 31 Jan 2013 16:32

West_Reading It's Aiden McGeady. You heard it here first. Anton's pulled a few strings out in Russia.

They just went to Everton on SSN and said for unknown reasons that Aiden McGeady to Everton has fallen through :shock:

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Jan 2013 16:32

cmonurz

Yes, I do. And I also think that is because we are not willing to throw a couple of million more at the deal to make it happen. However, if the club don't think that's the right thing to do, then who am I to question it? I don't know how to run a football club. I run a business that's holding its own and that is hard enough. I only have to keep myself and the few staff I have happy, trying to keep 30k fans happy on top of that, who will all have different opinions and little or no knowledge of financials, must be a nightmare.

I don't want to be an apologist for the club, as I've said, I'll be a little disappointed if we end today without one more player in that I think we need. But, trying to be objective about it, there's more going on behind the scenes than almost all of us know about and given how far we've come in a relatively short space of time gives me reason to trust those in charge.

I think I'm in the minority with that way of thinking though, so what do I know?!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jan 2013 16:33

Esteban
cmonurz

Yes, I do. And I also think that is because we are not willing to throw a couple of million more at the deal to make it happen. However, if the club don't think that's the right thing to do, then who am I to question it? I don't know how to run a football club. I run a business that's holding its own and that is hard enough. I only have to keep myself and the few staff I have happy, trying to keep 30k fans happy on top of that, who will all have different opinions and little or no knowledge of financials, must be a nightmare.

I don't want to be an apologist for the club, as I've said, I'll be a little disappointed if we end today without one more player in that I think we need. But, trying to be objective about it, there's more going on behind the scenes than almost all of us know about and given how far we've come in a relatively short space of time gives me reason to trust those in charge.

I think I'm in the minority with that way of thinking though, so what do I know?!

Nice humble brag
Last edited by Pepe the Horseman on 31 Jan 2013 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 31 Jan 2013 16:33

madreadingfan
West_Reading It's Aiden McGeady. You heard it here first. Anton's pulled a few strings out in Russia.

They just went to Everton on SSN and said for unknown reasons that Aiden McGeady to Everton has fallen through :shock:

I thought it was Wigan?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Jan 2013 16:34

Personally I have no issue with us being prudent. We are trying to run the club as close to break even as possible & I genuinely don't see why any of us have a right to whinge about it.

Unless of course we are offering up cash for them to use?....oh wait no one is.

We do things the right way - we are a shining light in a world of grubbiness & I actually quite like it.

Who would have thought 2 League 1 players would have got us a point against the champions of Europe? We are one of the few that take a chance on lower league players & try to get players that fit the ethos of the club rather than big money signing for rabid fans.

Proud of the way we do this & long may it continue.

Besides - Since AZ has been at the club it's been very fruitful in terms of new signings & progress on the pitch.

paulholsgrove83

by paulholsgrove83 » 31 Jan 2013 16:35

Hope Akpan - Recommended by Mr Coppell
Nick Blackman - Sheffield United Top Scorer In League One
Daniel Carrico - Sporting Lisbon Captain
Stephen Kelly - Premier League Experience

Typical Reading FC Signings but not enough in my opinion, granted things at the moment look much better than earlier on in the season, but defeat at home to Sunderland :roll:
Last edited by paulholsgrove83 on 31 Jan 2013 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 31 Jan 2013 16:37

Esteban
cmonurz

You eventually found the gold then and funded the start of your own business?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Jan 2013 16:38

If we HAD increased our bids for the various players mentioned (Ince, Zaha, Rhodes, Davies, Graham and many others we've supposedly entered into discussions about down the years) you can bet your arse that we'd also have ended up paying a lot more for the various players we HAVE signed.

Other clubs KNOW we don't play that game and that is worth a hell of a lot in negotiations.

The strength shown in walking away is a major asset in the club's dealings.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 31 Jan 2013 16:42

This has been a dull day that was full of promise.

525 posts