2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by urz13 » 29 May 2013 11:49

Fucking hell here we go again. We are not going to sign Rhodes. Get that into your silly little head and please don't subject us to another summer of 'Rhodes this, Rhodes that'.

I seem to remember you saying he'll be worth £40m in a few years :lol:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 29 May 2013 11:50

Lost the crowd when Rhodes was mentioned tbf.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 May 2013 11:52

Hunt has already been released.

Also, you want ALF as fourth choice behind Rhodes and Austin, with Pog leaving. Is Nick Blackman third choice?

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 29 May 2013 12:02

TheSiege Addendum:- I'd like to keep Guthrie, Pearce, all the keepers, Hunt(as 5th striker), ALF(as 4th) the younger members of the defence and McAnuff, possibly HAL but, in truth, if we wish to see Premiership football next year, with a chance of actually staying there, we need to spend a lot of money now on both ability and potential!

Do you actually follow Reading FC? Hunt has been released, Pearce will most likely be released and if you really only want to keep about 10 players and re-build the rest of the squad your having a laugh. ALF as 4th striker, so you expect 3 top quality strikers coming in when Adkins only plays 1 up top? not going to happen.
If you also would prefer to keep McAnuff over HRK or any other winger for that matter then you are deluded. HRK is 7 years younger and is already the better player, similar to Mcleary as well.
Fans like you are the ones always on the teams backs as you expect too much and don't know much about the game of football.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 May 2013 12:35

Strikers next season will comprise; Roberts, Alf, Blackman + one other (presuming, of course, we manage to shift Pogrebnyak)

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 29 May 2013 13:49

Barry the bird boggler Strikers next season will comprise; Roberts, Alf, Blackman + one other (presuming, of course, we manage to shift Pogrebnyak)

Pogrebnyak needs to go if we want to avoid what Birmingham had to deal with having a totally unmotivated and very highly paid Zigic doing sweet fuck all.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 29 May 2013 13:56

Why is everyone still going on about Roberts? He's just had a hip replacement or summat.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 29 May 2013 23:07

TheSiege To reply to some of the above comments, Yes - Rhodes again! How many good strikers are currently outside the Prem and are playing in teams that are in total disarray? Yes I did suggest buying Rhodes and Zaha in the last Summer window, as well as some other good players. Who knows, with a decent squad we may not have been relegated, nor found the need to sack BMcD!

In terms of who is going from the squad and who remains. Yes I have heard rumours about leavers and if those rumours are official then some of the players I might have liked to retain may not be possibilities. This thread is about just that. Who should stay and who should come in. We were apparently able to bid 15m in the January window for both Gylfi and/or Austin, who outside the Prem can we not try to buy?

Someone abroad?

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 29 May 2013 23:20

Utilising foreign leagues, e.g. Holland, maybe even lower Spanish teams would be nice. Just throw words and money at them "premier league $$$$$ we win league".
Lower Swansea-esque signings I suppose.

Formation and although it is the Championship I think swapping between 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 is key, our current players may not adapt quick enough if we do get promoted again.

What we need (imo):

A pacey, technical striker.
An Attacking midfielder (Gylfi like playmaking).
A pacey solid left back.
A back up centre back.

And maybe....
a strong, kind of 'holding' midfielder.

We hear all this "WE KNOW EVERY PLAYER ON THE PLANET", followed shortly by "We didn't scout" and then... "We scouted millions of da playerz", so it's about time we oxf*rd proved
it and stopped signing players from lower leagues, without knowing if they'll improve the squad.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 30 May 2013 00:01

TheSiege
St. Brynjar
TheSiege To reply to some of the above comments, Yes - Rhodes again! How many good strikers are currently outside the Prem and are playing in teams that are in total disarray? Yes I did suggest buying Rhodes and Zaha in the last Summer window, as well as some other good players. Who knows, with a decent squad we may not have been relegated, nor found the need to sack BMcD!

In terms of who is going from the squad and who remains. Yes I have heard rumours about leavers and if those rumours are official then some of the players I might have liked to retain may not be possibilities. This thread is about just that. Who should stay and who should come in. We were apparently able to bid 15m in the January window for both Gylfi and/or Austin, who outside the Prem can we not try to buy?

Someone abroad?

Go for it! Who?

David Bellion.

Hungary Royal

by Hungary Royal » 30 May 2013 01:12

TheSiege Pelegringo has far more potential!

I'm no expert on Spanish (despite doing it as part of a degree), but the last time I looked in the Spanish gringo meant something bad. Away from names, if this fella is worth it, then get Nick(y) Hammond on it ASAP. You said elsewhere we've started to negotiate, do you think we'll actually pull our fingers out this summer and sign quality of this? I hope so, otherwise we could be in the brown stuff.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 May 2013 09:58

Lets be realistic-the current squad is Ok-but a lot of the chaff will go anyway.

We need a CB to replace Pearce-desperately need a genuine LB and two new strikers.Everywhere else is OK providing we keep the quality.

Lets buy four promising players -rather than old hacks.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 30 May 2013 10:23

Out:

Pearce
Feds
Legs
Then sell kebe or kanu or both depending on if they sign new deals... Could get some good money for them.

In:

Sunzu
Austin
Not sure about a left back or anyone else ifim honest.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 30 May 2013 10:40

des anyone know what will happen with Gunter and Kelly, as both are right backs, potentially competing for the same spot, I cant imagine either would be happy with being second choice, unless NA's intention is to play Kelly left back, which would mean we just need cover at left back.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 May 2013 10:43

Is there a source or some link to something (in any language!) that mentions this Pelegringo geezer? All I could find was a 9 year old Spanish language article on Freddie Adu. Having said that I shall look forward to the Daniel_1986ElmPark thread on him, due some time around November.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 May 2013 10:45

Doesn't Kelly play centre half as well? Would be decent cb I think.

Don't fancy him at left back, cuts out attacking options as he can't cross with his left foot.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 30 May 2013 10:48

good point, he doesn't add anything going forward but cant see him being used as a CB, I may be proved wrong tho.
be interesting how Gunter and Kelly pans out though as both very good at champ level

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 30 May 2013 10:51

does anyone think Carrico will feature as a constant first teamer next season.
maybe centre back with maps ?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 May 2013 11:08

My thoughts on next seasons squad:

I'd imagine that with the current squad we'll be somewhere along the lines of

Keep
McCarthy, S.Taylor*, Henly
Gunter, Kelly, Arnold, Griffin
Mariappa, Morrison, Pearce*+, Hector, Partridge, Sweeney
Akpan, Carriço, Guthrie, Karacan, McAnuff, D'Ath,
Robson-Kanu, McCleary, Obita, Edwards
Blackman, Le Fondre, Roberts, Samuel, Ugwu

*Contract offered
+likely to go
[i] loan
Red - Youth players

Consider offers
Andersen, Federici
Cummings
Gorkss
Leigertwood, J.Taylor
Kebe
Pogrebnyak, Sheppard, Bignall

If that were the case I'd say

Goalkeepers - As long as we keep one of Feds / McCarthy we will be ok.

Full Backs - One preferable - Couple of good young prospects coming through but we'll probably need to get one full back in. Preferably a left back, but as both Kelly and Gunter can play on the left. I'd argue that it's essential that we get a left-back in, but if Cummings did stay as third choice we could go this season without and recruit next summer.

Centre Backs - One needed, two preferable - Pearce is looking likely to go and that should have been Gorkss' last game for us. Hector should be fine as a fourth choice but it would be better to give him one more season to develop and get some experience in that can replace Mariappa if he is unavailable.

Central Midfielders - No changes needed - an Attacking MIdfielder preferable - Under Adkins, Karacan, Guthrie and Jobi showed that they make a competent midfield 3. Akpan can slot in and Carriço is known for his passing ability meaning he should be an option utilised by Adkins. Jobi 'can' play in the hole [and would be good enough in a 4-5-1] and what i've seen of Akpan he seems better further up the pitch so we should be covered here.

Wingers - One needed - McCleary and Robson-Kanu have looked threatening as inverted inside forwards [rather than the conventional wingers that McDermott pushed] although both showing inconsistency. Obita has done well on his loans and I hope he gets a chance to finally get on the pitch this season, but I think 3rd choice might be a bit much.

Strikers - One needed - If we go 4-5-1 in the Championship then Blackman/ALF/Roberts would probably just about be enough, although I'm not convinced any of them are suited being upfront on their own, or ALF starting. Roberts has claimed time and time again to be a conventional 4-4-2 forward. HRK and McCleary can play as strikers and have in a way in recent 4-5-1's, but shifting them up top would then mean we haev less available out wide. Feels to me like we are one viable strking option short if Pogrebnyak were to leave, especially if we want to play 4-4-2.

Essential - 3 - Centre Back, Winger, Forward
Preferable - 3 - Left Back, Centre Back, Attacking Midfielder

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 30 May 2013 20:00

Well said

801 posts