Striker

Which striker would you most like at Reading FC?

Cameron Jerome
25%
Luchiano Becchio
16%
Carlton Cole
6%
Mldaen Petric
21%
Joseph Akpala
5%
Ibou
3%
Paddy Madden
5%
Other
21%

Total votes: 106
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Striker

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Aug 2013 13:36

But Jerome is shit?
Cameron Jerome: last 2 seasons in the Premiership - 49 apps - 7 goals. FA Cup - 7 apps - 3 goals. League Cup - 3 apps - 0 goals
Pavel Pogrebnyak: last 2 seasons in the Premiership - 41 apps - 11 goals. FA Cup - 3 apps - 3 goals. League Cup - 0 apps - 0 goals

How exactly would he add any more than POG?

Signing a striker from a team who struggle to score goals is a terrible idea.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 29 Aug 2013 14:08

NewCorkSeth How exactly would he add any more than POG?

Bruce Forsyth would be better than Pog. Pog is completely useless, and I cant wait till hes sold. Sod whose coming in, lets hope its him going out (with his massive wages following him)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Aug 2013 14:11

Reading4eva

Bruce Forsyth would be better than Pog. Pog is completely useless, and I cant wait till hes sold. Sod whose coming in, lets hope its him going out (with his massive wages following him)

Yes very witty but in reality Jerome would add nothing to our squad that we don't already have.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 29 Aug 2013 14:16

NewCorkSeth
Reading4eva

Yes very witty but in reality Jerome would add nothing to our squad that we don't already have.

He wouldnt be completely useless, uninterested and with the first touch of an eighty year old granny

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 29 Aug 2013 16:34

Jerome would be completely uninspiring. Luckily it's not happening. Petric for me.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 29 Aug 2013 17:32

Becchio wouldnt be bad for a stop gap

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 29 Aug 2013 19:18

LoyalRoyal22 Becchio wouldnt be bad for a stop gap

You really are a dreamer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2013 19:51

I know sweet oxf*rd all about players at other clubs. Our scouts and management know far more than any of the tossers on here, so I'll go with their choice until proven wrong.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 29 Aug 2013 20:08

Gozie, Taylor, Samuel

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 29 Aug 2013 20:19

mambo3 Gozie, Taylor, Samuel

I echo that, but we also need some proven experience brought in as well.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 29 Aug 2013 21:38

Reading4eva

We'd get 4 goals just from his chin!

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 Aug 2013 09:17

FridaysGhost
Reading4eva

We'd get 4 goals just from his chin!

Just imagine the goal celebration, striking a pose with the fist on the chin, or the presser afterwards, 'Bruce how dyer think it went today?' 'Good Game, Good Game, Alright my loves.' 'And what about Pearce's spectacular goalline clearance?' 'Didn't he do well??!!'

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2013 13:59

NewCorkSeth But Jerome is shit?
Cameron Jerome: last 2 seasons in the Premiership - 49 apps - 7 goals. FA Cup - 7 apps - 3 goals. League Cup - 3 apps - 0 goals
Pavel Pogrebnyak: last 2 seasons in the Premiership - 41 apps - 11 goals. FA Cup - 3 apps - 3 goals. League Cup - 0 apps - 0 goals

How exactly would he add any more than POG?

Signing a striker from a team who struggle to score goals is a terrible idea.

In Jerome's last three seasons in the Championship, he has scored 18, 7 and 9 goals.
For comparison, in Noel Hunt's three complete-ish Championship seasons with us, he scored 11, 10 and 8 goals.

If Jerome got back to his best, we'd have a great striker at this level. Otherwise, we'd have a decent second striker.
If Pogrebnyak knuckled down, we'd have a better striker at this level. Otherwise, he'll probably be next to useless.

We have to look at the likelihood of each of them reaching their best, and which one we'd rather have at their worst. Personally I think Jerome is more likely to be committed and put a good shift in, and even if he isn't at his best, he's a significant threat.

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 30 Aug 2013 14:21

personally i think Paddy Madden could be our best bet. From the games I have seen he has great work rate, good finishing, fairly strong and fairly quick could play the lone striker role well. He reminds me a bit of Craig Mackail-Smith but obviously has the potential to be a much better player as is only 23 or 24 not sure.

However, we might have to pay over the odds for him as Yeovil has no reason to sell. But I am sure he himself would be interested. I imagine we could get him for £2-3 million maybe? Which in the long run is obviously a risk but think he could prove to be worth it.

Becchio is also a good shout as knows the level well, the others not too sure and seem to at best very short term solutions..

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 30 Aug 2013 14:46

TheBaldOne . I imagine we could get him for £2-3 million maybe?

I stopped reading at this point.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2013 14:51

One8Seven1
LoyalRoyal22 Becchio wouldnt be bad for a stop gap

You really are a dreamer.

Will assume your being sarcastic

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2013 15:38

SCIAG In Jerome's last three seasons in the Championship, he has scored 18, 7 and 9 goals.
For comparison, in Noel Hunt's three complete-ish Championship seasons with us, he scored 11, 10 and 8 goals.

If Jerome got back to his best, we'd have a great striker at this level. Otherwise, we'd have a decent second striker.
If Pogrebnyak knuckled down, we'd have a better striker at this level. Otherwise, he'll probably be next to useless.

We have to look at the likelihood of each of them reaching their best, and which one we'd rather have at their worst. Personally I think Jerome is more likely to be committed and put a good shift in, and even if he isn't at his best, he's a significant threat.

Looking at those two (Hunt and Jerome) Hunt is a lot more consistent.. Not only that, the season he scored 18 was in 2005/2006. that's 9 seasons ago..(or is it 8?either way is bad)

Also I cant imagine after his 4 million move to stoke he was on a less than 30k a week contract.. meaning he isn't going to be cheap.

Stoke, famous for not scoring goals, are unlikely to sell one of their strikers without bringing in a new one first.

Jerome, let us not forget, failed to score a goal for 13 months in the premiership.. In this time he played 30 odd league games.

I would argue, at his best, Jerome is not worth the money.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2013 15:45

NewCorkSeth
SCIAG In Jerome's last three seasons in the Championship, he has scored 18, 7 and 9 goals.

Looking at those two (Hunt and Jerome) Hunt is a lot more consistent.. Not only that, the season he scored 18 was in 2005/2006. that's 9 seasons ago..(or is it 8?either way is bad)

Also I cant imagine after his 4 million move to stoke he was on a less than 30k a week contract.. meaning he isn't going to be cheap.

Stoke, famous for not scoring goals, are unlikely to sell one of their strikers without bringing in a new one first.

Jerome, let us not forget, failed to score a goal for 13 months in the premiership.. In this time he played 30 odd league games.

I would argue, at his best, Jerome is not worth the money.

I'm sure if you refer to Squeakys "Glass's Guide on Footballer Valuations" it will concur :D

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2013 15:47

DOYLERSAROYALER
I'm sure if you refer to Squeakys "Glass's Guide on Footballer Valuations" it will concur :D

No idea what that is! Link me so I can gauge whether this is an insult or not.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Aug 2013 15:51

Take the £2m for Kebe, add £1m an go and sign Peter Odimwinge from WBA

Pain in the arse - Yes
Selfish - Yes
25+ goals a season - Yes

Problem solved, promotion in the bag