The real big cock-ups

121 posts
FridaysGhost

The real big cock-ups

by FridaysGhost » 31 Aug 2013 22:11

Since Anton took over, RFC have had the chance to buy some very good players. In virtually every case we would not pay what they were worth. Furthermore, anyone who keeps reminding the site of what we have missed gets wild abuse from the 'little Reading' forum.

This thread is for you to say who we should have spent our money on - and for the doombrains to actually tell us why not!

Rhodes could have been ours for 8M - does anyone think he is worth less now?
Whittingham would have been about 1.5M, Zaha, before the Man Utd interest was 6-8M, what is he worth now?
Kondogbia was 5M or less (I forget) and I could go on ad infinitum.

Player after player who we could have bought, who may have made a great difference to our Premiership season, and yet each is worth much more now than then.

WE COULD HAVE BOUGHT ALL OF THEM, BEEN RELEGATED AND STILL MADE A PROFIT ON THEM!

We could now try for Vaz Te - or are we too small a club to be ambitious?

Who should we have bought since the takeover and, to the lackwits (Ian Royal, Melonhead, Sandman etc.), why shouldn't we have bought them? Make a case!

One8Seven1

Re: The real big cock-ups

by One8Seven1 » 31 Aug 2013 22:16

FridaysGhost This thread is for you to say who we should have spent our money on

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 31 Aug 2013 22:17

It's a sensible thread! Sad I know, but I wanted to reply before it gets deleted!

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 31 Aug 2013 22:22

One8Seven1
FridaysGhost This thread is for you to say who we should have spent our money on

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale.

We really should have got Bale as a kid anyway! Moreover, you seem to be flippant but you have hit the nail on the thread! Were we able to sign Messi, Ronaldo etc. as kids, we would have said 'No, they are too expensive' and would have blown the huge profits as they became the players they are now.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 31 Aug 2013 22:23

FridaysGhost It's a sensible thread!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 31 Aug 2013 22:25

FridaysGhost It's a sensible thread! Sad I know

:|

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 31 Aug 2013 22:26

basically any FridaysGhost thread..

JordCot

by JordCot » 31 Aug 2013 22:27

so...

Wipped
Location: If happy ever after did exist, I'd still be holding you like this

by Wipped » 31 Aug 2013 22:28

this thread made me :lol: ah you lot a mean

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 31 Aug 2013 22:29

Always the fcking negatives!!

We could have missed out on Alfie, 300k (rumoured) probably less. What a piece of business that was. Sean Morrison, Ian Harte (to some extent) Royston Drenthe, Danny Guthrie. All top quality players we got for a snip or for free.

Lets wait and see what happens over the next 48 hours before moaning about who we missed, just enjoy who we have signed!

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 31 Aug 2013 22:30

Your understanding of the football transfer market is so deluded it is unreal.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 31 Aug 2013 22:32

Rhodes, Zaha and the other one are probably worth less than they were when we could have bought them.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Aug 2013 22:33

There kind of is a point to this thread.

We mock QPR for the money they spent last year and yes it didn't work out for them but because they brought in decent players they have been able to off load many of them and bring in more suitable players for the Championship.

However, we are still saddled with the Pog, as no club wants to take him and his wages could mean that we are at the cap set by the ffp rules.

Basically, if you buy quality you can sell them on if needs must.

NattMiles

by NattMiles » 31 Aug 2013 22:33

Wouldn't be the same players if they joined Reading anyway

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 31 Aug 2013 22:36

blythspartan There kind of is a point to this thread.

We mock QPR for the money they spent last year and yes it didn't work out for them but because they brought in decent players they have been able to off load many of them and bring in more suitable players for the Championship.

However, we are still saddled with the Pog, as no club wants to take him and his wages could mean that we are at the cap set by the ffp rules.

Basically, if you buy quality you can sell them on if needs must.

QPR haven't sod all their expensive shit players. They still had loads of them in their side last time I saw them.

This thread is rubbish. The OP was nonsense.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 31 Aug 2013 22:39

Rhodes could have been ours for 8M

LMFAO

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 31 Aug 2013 22:42

Arnie_Pie Your understanding of the football transfer market is so deluded it is unreal.

Why? Explain yourself.

Cypry

by Cypry » 31 Aug 2013 22:42

FridaysGhost Since Anton took over, RFC have had the ambition to look into buying some very good players. In virtually every case we would not pay the inflated sums their clubs were asking. Furthermore, anyone who keeps reminding the site of what we have missed gets wild abuse from the 'little Reading' forum.

This thread is for you to abuse Fridays Ghost - and for the doombrains to agree with him!

Rhodes could have been ours for 8M if he'd wanted to come here - does anyone think he is any better than ALF?
Whittingham would have been about 1.5M, Zaha, before the Man Utd interest was 6-8M, what would he have been worth in a relegated side?
Kondogbia was 5M or less (I forget). Apologies, I do tend to go on ad infinitum.

Player after player who we could have spent silly money on, who may, or may not have made a great difference to our Premiership season, and some are worth much more now than then because of the silly sums paid for them.

WE COULD HAVE BOUGHT ALL OF THEM, BEEN RELEGATED, AND MADE A HUGE LOSS BECAUSE OF THEIR ASSOCIATION WITH A RELEGATED CLUB!

We could now try for Vaz Te - or are we too sensible a club to be stupid with our money?

Who shouldn't we have bought since the takeover and, to the lackwits (Fridays Ghost, The Siege etc.), why should we have bought them? Make a case!

Couldn't agree more...

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 31 Aug 2013 22:45

Hey, it is a good thread. The dimblebys are out in force and yet none of them can explain why strengthening the team AND making a profit is bad.

For the simple-minded:- This thread is for reasons not silly abuse. Try again!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Aug 2013 23:04

I would put myself in the 'pessimist' camp on this site. I believe that a lot of members here are naive about the level of quality that currently exists in the RFC squad compared to what is needed to even win promotion, let alone sustain a Premier League place. Players like Morrison, Karacan, McAnuff, HRK and obviously Blackman have not proven themselves to be good enough to play at the top level, whilst Bridge, Gunter and Kelly were all let go for a reason. That's not to say that some of them couldn't play a part in a better squad, just that we can't rely on them to get us where we say we want to be.

If we do want to become a Premier League team, and we do have the money, then we need to abandon the current 'Wenger-lite' policies when it comes transfers and start making some serious signings. I think the OP is a bit naive himself in believing that Zaha/Rhodes etc could have been signed if only we'd offered X amount of money, but we could have clearly go some other talent.

If Adkins and zingarevich don't want to splash the cash in the next few days then I understand that, I think our financial situation has to come first and our wage bill must already by sky high. However we'll have to readjust our expectations and realize that a season which is dependent on Wayne Bridge saying fit, Guthrie keeping his head and ALF scoring goals is one that's' unlikely to end in glory.

121 posts