Announcements Today

223 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Announcements Today

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 15:08

RoyalBlue
kwik-silva Well of course he could but isn't he now only allowed out for 3 months? What would be the point?

Is this correct? are only 3 month loans allowed now? If so, AZ, Madejski and Hammond have F8cked up big time in this window. There are significant holes in our squad (strikers and central defenders) and you can't expect to fill them and mount a serious promotion push with 3 month loans.

Hammond might be good at selling (we can't actually tell as fees are undisclosed) but there is an ever growing body of evidence to suggest that he is shyte at signing players, particularly when competing against other clubs.

but it takes you into the january transfer window where you can buy/loan him till the end of the season

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Sep 2013 15:11

So basically they've been spending all morning trying to work out a way to let us down gently

Great

FOLD THE CLUB - SACK THE BOARD

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 03 Sep 2013 15:13

ROYALS REMAIN ACTIVE

This is really one in the eye for those of us who would like to see the club folded over this debacle.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 15:55

Uke
kwik-silva Well of course he could but isn't he now only allowed out for 3 months? What would be the point?

To help a Conference side get back into the league

Or help Just Play United get up into Div 3 East of the Reading & District Sunday League

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2013 18:18

southbank1871 I too would have liked us to have signed some more players (there's still a chance we have or will), but I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR. It's embarrassing.

+1

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 03 Sep 2013 19:09

SydenhamRoyal
Uke

To help a Conference side get back into the league

Or help Just Play United get up into Div 3 East of the Reading & District Sunday League

They should have no problems getting out of that league tbf.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Sep 2013 20:18

WoodleyRoyal
RoyalBlue

Is this correct? are only 3 month loans allowed now? If so, AZ, Madejski and Hammond have F8cked up big time in this window. There are significant holes in our squad (strikers and central defenders) and you can't expect to fill them and mount a serious promotion push with 3 month loans.

Hammond might be good at selling (we can't actually tell as fees are undisclosed) but there is an ever growing body of evidence to suggest that he is shyte at signing players, particularly when competing against other clubs.

but it takes you into the january transfer window where you can buy/loan him till the end of the season

As long as you ignore December. :|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2013 20:25

Ian Royal
southbank1871 I too would have liked us to have signed some more players (there's still a chance we have or will), but I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR. It's embarrassing.

+1

Some more players? The manager made it quite clear that the job had not been completed with the early signings. And since that date we have signed no effing players. All Hammond accomplished was the sale of two, the departure of which has left us very weak in terms of cover for a critical position.

We didn't need to spend like QPR to improve on that. And having been left three players short of what he wanted, I wouldn't blame Adkins at all if he is throwing a hissy fit today.

John Peel

by John Peel » 03 Sep 2013 21:12

John Peel So it'll either be: we signed three amazing players last minute - in your f*cking faces, Reading doubters. Or it'll be a defensive press statement saying how we signed our three targets early on, followed by Nigel assuring us that we have enough strikers.

Which one will it be?

So they pulled the defensive press statement on us then. Great. I bet the press office f*cking hated writing this. This wound me right up when I read it:

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

They forgot to add 'All hail Chairman Mao' at the end.

Someone said earlier on here that I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR but I think that, and other remarks miss the point. I would love to be proved wrong, and there is still the loan window, but why can't we just admit that we performed well below par in business terms yesterday. Two decent players have gone and we bought no one yesterday when it is quite clear we need another CB back-up and another striker.

If we're not really aiming for the Premiership next year, just be honest about it and don't try and mug us off. I think I'd respect the club more if they were honest about things. To be honest, I don't mind the Championship and under Adkins we play a style of football that I like to watch. I won't lose sleep if we don't get promoted. Just don't bullsh*t us.

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 03 Sep 2013 21:25

John Peel
John Peel So it'll either be: we signed three amazing players last minute - in your f*cking faces, Reading doubters. Or it'll be a defensive press statement saying how we signed our three targets early on, followed by Nigel assuring us that we have enough strikers.

Which one will it be?

So they pulled the defensive press statement on us then. Great. I bet the press office f*cking hated writing this. This wound me right up when I read it:

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

They forgot to add 'All hail Chairman Mao' at the end.

Someone said earlier on here that I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR but I think that, and other remarks miss the point. I would love to be proved wrong, and there is still the loan window, but why can't we just admit that we performed well below par in business terms yesterday. Two decent players have gone and we bought no one yesterday when it is quite clear we need another CB back-up and another striker.

If we're not really aiming for the Premiership next year, just be honest about it and don't try and mug us off. I think I'd respect the club more if they were honest about things. To be honest, I don't mind the Championship and under Adkins we play a style of football that I like to watch. I won't lose sleep if we don't get promoted. Just don't bullsh*t us.

I do agree with this, but I can understand why they don't just come out and tell the truth. Imagine what the 'fans' would say if the club said "we have a average squad and we are aiming to finish mid table" - there would be outrage! I am with you and would much rather see us playing exciting matches, like the Watford game, than watch us get hammered every week and play shite football like we did last season.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 03 Sep 2013 21:27

The big announcement wasn't made. RFC are now a team with huge aspirations but Div 1 pockets.

There are two ways to become a valid Premiership teams. 1/ Buy the players required, 2/ Be brilliant at buying and training lower-level players with ability and attitude and being damn lucky. Twice we have been promoted and both times it was because of number 2. Both times we then did'nt understand that what was then needed was number 1. How many times are we going to make the same mistake?

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Sep 2013 22:04

noelgallagher Stay calm people. The club will be making an announcement today. Egg on your faces.

noelgallagher Ince was going to sign, but we couldn't agree terms.

Sharp was going to sign but contract talks broke down

Sissoko signed last night.

Brilliant! I just noticed we can block people like you on here.

Jink

by Jink » 03 Sep 2013 22:34

7 internationals on the bench? They forgot to mention all of the internationals we had on the field when we got smashed 6-0 by a league 1 side, unbelievable it really is. :oops:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Sep 2013 22:43

we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 03 Sep 2013 22:46

Like it.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Sep 2013 22:46

Platypuss

we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks

Brendyhead is taking the AFC Reading thread a bit too seriously. Although it's good to see he's finally embraced PR man as being his true calling.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Sep 2013 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 03 Sep 2013 22:55

The rhetoric has certainly changed over the past couple of weeks. Early doors there was talk about bringing in more players and that we did not have to sell players (we would only sell them if they didn't want to be here). Then it was mentioned that two out of the current first team squad would have to leave to make room for any new signings (one in/one out principle).
There has since been talk of Adkins wanting to add two or three players, with Adkins stating that loan signings were not of interest as the club preferred to promote the Academy players. Now, in another about-turn, there is renewed talk of loan signings and possible free agents (i.e. Sissoko). The only truth in all of this so far has been the sale of two 'first team' players, namely Kebe and Mariappa.

To be honest, the goalposts keep shifting and the promotion of whichever policy we choose to stick by for that particular day succumbs to extremely poor media spin, which smacks of desperation on the club's behalf to want to come up with excuses, for whatever reason.

I don't mind following the club if it is honest and tries to do business with a degree of success AND failure, but its constant attempts at making it sound like it is performing brilliantly are nothing short of cringeworthy. Surely RFC cannot seriously believe that we do not realise we are being lied to.

The big question is, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 03 Sep 2013 23:09

so what have we really done in the last 18 months or so since the sale to AZ? not a lot really. You could easily argue that the £25M to JM was ultimately funded by promotion to the false promised land and AZ picked up the the stadium as part of the deal.....seems pretty good to me albeit have to recognise that without the investment in Roberts etc, it wouldn't have happened and I am pretty sure that cash came solely from them Rusky@ so definitely a gamble. Probably well worth the gamble as even without promotion, increased income etc, the ground was worth £25M. Question I have, is what have they really invested since?.

Parachute payments, player sales in last few days will easily balance the three acquisitions and leave a huge surplus although what none of know is where have they left last years wages? Last time we went down from the so called elite league, vast majority were kept on PL salaries and we nearly bounced back, so what this time? if the same, then parachute cannot finance that much over wages and certainly not large up front transfer fees, so my guess is that the real investment from Daddy and son is pretty much nil..........probably explains the lack of real activity.

just a thought!!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 23:24

BonBoh The rhetoric has certainly changed over the past couple of weeks. Early doors there was talk about bringing in more players and that we did not have to sell players (we would only sell them if they didn't want to be here). Then it was mentioned that two out of the current first team squad would have to leave to make room for any new signings (one in/one out principle).
There has since been talk of Adkins wanting to add two or three players, with Adkins stating that loan signings were not of interest as the club preferred to promote the Academy players. Now, in another about-turn, there is renewed talk of loan signings and possible free agents (i.e. Sissoko). The only truth in all of this so far has been the sale of two 'first team' players, namely Kebe and Mariappa.

To be honest, the goalposts keep shifting and the promotion of whichever policy we choose to stick by for that particular day succumbs to extremely poor media spin, which smacks of desperation on the club's behalf to want to come up with excuses, for whatever reason.

I don't mind following the club if it is honest and tries to do business with a degree of success AND failure, but its constant attempts at making it sound like it is performing brilliantly are nothing short of cringeworthy. Surely RFC cannot seriously believe that we do not realise we are being lied to.

The big question is, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???
piss and moan ineffectually
While bending over to recieve our shafting?

Booseal

by Booseal » 03 Sep 2013 23:34

Jink 7 internationals on the bench? They forgot to mention all of the internationals we had on the field when we got smashed 6-0 by a league 1 side, unbelievable it really is. :oops:

In fairness to those players, that Peterborough team were good enough to only lose 0-2 in their next home game to a quality Crawley Town.

223 posts