RUMOUR - McCarthy to Newcastle?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

RUMOUR - McCarthy to Newcastle?

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Nov 2013 14:11

With Tim Kruls impressive performances this season he has been linked with moves away (juve want him to replace Buffon) Newcastle have been linked with our Alex.

Also on their list is Kasper Schmeichel

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: McCarthy to Newcastle?

by SPARTA » 24 Nov 2013 15:38

I can see Madejski rubbing his hands together at this one. We could probably hold out for £5-6m, and luckily we can fall back on Federici, so in all fairness it would be a good move for all parties (assuming of course that AZ's investment is long gone).

Once this season is passed, everyone who is a) a high earner, and b) of high value, will be sold over the following transfer windows. Unless a new owner comes in, or Anton somehow comes up with the money to buy-out Madejski, we're going back to being a selling club, and this time around the annual black hole will be far greater. Our wage bill will be at a record high for the football league, and the Cat 1 academy swallows up £2.5m a year. I can see us relying heavily on the academy in the near future; I just hope we don't drop down another division while the search for a new investor is ongoing.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Nov 2013 16:06

I'm not sure they would pay the £10 million that it would take.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Nov 2013 16:40

Victor Meldrew I'm not sure they would pay the £10 million that it would take.

We might want £10m but we wont get it, especially for a keeper.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Nov 2013 17:34

SPARTA

alex is still very young though. de gea went for 17m or something like that. we could maybe get 7.5m or maybe a bit more for alex even though i really dont want him to go. if he does go its good that we got quality like feds to back him up. if we do get promoted mccarthy will be one of the most important members of our team in the prem so i hope we can keep hold of him.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 24 Nov 2013 17:44

USA_Loyal_Royal
SPARTA

alex is still very young though. de gea went for 17m or something like that. we could maybe get 7.5m or maybe a bit more for alex even though i really dont want him to go. if he does go its good that we got quality like feds to back him up. if we do get promoted mccarthy will be one of the most important members of our team in the prem so i hope we can keep hold of him.

the thing about McCarthy is that he has not got the full package. his shot stopping ability is sensational, easily the best in the league and probably one of the best in English Football. However, his distribution and his positioning let him down massively which is why I don't think he is worth anywhere near the amount that is being Rumoured, I'd say max of 4 mil.
Having said that, yes he is still young and he has many years to improve still

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 24 Nov 2013 17:51

It is going to get increasingly difficult to keep hold of McCarthy, not just because of the club financial position, with Zingarevich seemingly done a runner, but with Englands first 2 choices,Hart and Ruddy being pretty accident prone at giving away goals this season, McCarthy has a outstanding opportunity to board the plane to Brazil, so he would need a premiership slot for that, as It would appear that Hodgsen and Co would never consider a player from outside the prem being capable enough to play for the national side.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Nov 2013 20:44

When watching Fraser Forster play for England against Chile, I thought his distribution was no better than McCarthy's, and at 6'7" he didn't look as agile as McCarthy. McCarthy gets down exceptionally well for a big guy

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 24 Nov 2013 21:06

3points When watching Fraser Forster play for England against Chile, I thought his distribution was no better than McCarthy's, and at 6'7" he didn't look as agile as McCarthy. McCarthy gets down exceptionally well for a big guy

But against Germany Hart's distribution was excellent. When McCarthy gets his distribution up to that standard and with his shot stopping then he will be England's number one GK.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Nov 2013 21:16

Unbelievable Jeff the thing about McCarthy is that he has not got the full package. his shot stopping ability is sensational, easily the best in the league and probably one of the best in English Football. However, his distribution and his positioning let him down massively which is why I don't think he is worth anywhere near the amount that is being Rumoured, I'd say max of 4 mil.
Having said that, yes he is still young and he has many years to improve still

To be fair De Gea isn't the full package either, still has a lot of work to do to be a World Top 5 goalie..
At 24 Alex still has a huge amount of playing time left in him and can improve massively! But I'm sure he will look at the Jack Butland situation (moved to Stoke believing that Begovic was leaving, and instead got shipped out on loan) and wait until Newcastle actually sell their keeper before going! (I hope)
As for other potential suitors in the Prem its hard to see that many attractive and realistic options for him! If we count out Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Stoke as clubs unlikely to want him and also take out Palace and Sunderland as teams unlikely to attract him that leaves 11 clubs many of whom would be unlikely to move for him Like Norwich, Cardiff, Southampton, Fulham and Swansea who have pretty solid keepers.
As for how much we would ask for him I assume (having no idea what the club value him at) we would be looking for around the 5 million mark? Were lucky in the fact we have Federici who is probably the best keeper in the championship stuck on the bench (Maybe Cesar)

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 24 Nov 2013 21:18

SPARTA I can see Madejski rubbing his hands together at this one. We could probably hold out for £5-6m, and luckily we can fall back on Federici

At least it will be a soft landing.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Nov 2013 21:24

At least it will be a soft landing.[/quote]

At least Feds hasn't reached Paddy Kenny proportions

NeilD

by NeilD » 25 Nov 2013 13:23

Not certain McCarthy would fit in at Newcastle, I don't think he can speak French.

Stevie G

Re: RUMOUR - McCarthy to Newcastle?

by Stevie G » 25 Nov 2013 13:46

Of course he can he hails from Guildford, everyone south of Newcastle is french.

NeilD

by NeilD » 25 Nov 2013 13:53

Stevie G Of course he can he hails from Guildford, everyone south of Newcastle is french.

Ah oui, tres bon. je ne comprende pas, merci!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Nov 2013 14:06

I'll stick to a valuation of £10million.
The boy has a pedigree-he played for the U21s and IIRC he went to Brazil with the full England squad when we had the friendly out there.
There aren't many keepers with good distribution and surely that is something which can be worked on and significantly improved.
I wonder if Southampton might come calling after their keeper's very poor show on Saturday.

A player exchange involving Jack Cork and Steven Davis plus quite a few million could be attractive.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Nov 2013 16:19

:D @10 million

while that may well be the value we put on him- ie what he is worth to us....
if a decent team(ie one that would be willing/able to spend 10 million on a young goal keeper) comes in for him, he'll be off, and there will be very little we will truly be able to do to keep him in all honesty

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 25 Nov 2013 16:56

BR2 The boy has a pedigree

I've never really understood this. Surely if someone has pedigree it's because their forebears played football such as Tom Ince or our own Niall Keown or Tom Hateley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hateley)?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Nov 2013 17:17

He has a point.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 25 Nov 2013 18:16

His English birth certificate will add massive value