Administration

409 posts
Elm Park Pasty

Financial Problems or not???

by Elm Park Pasty » 03 Jan 2014 18:05

Ok I'm going to get hammered for starting a new thread but I wasn't sure this could really fit under the buy out thread or the new ownership one.

I keep reading on here and Twitter about the club being in the financial brown stuff, AZ has bailed out and left us, there is no money to spend in January etc etc. Now the thing I have always thought, is that if you want to know if something is in trouble then don't look at the big things, look at the small ones. The odd staff member being allowed to go/not replaced. Things being allowed to decay rather than repaired. The major one for me with football clubs was when the team stopped travelling to games the day before and drove up on the day. So I picked up on the club mentioning that Pierce Sweeney had to make has musical debut tonight, as he had travelled with the squad. The squad are staying overnight near Brighton (I would presume). Brighton is not that far away really. Now I know the weather is foul, and the club maybe ensuring the squad are there for the game, but there is probably an equal chance the game could be called off with hotel outlay for nothing. I find this reassuring in a little way.

I know I am going to get smashed for starting what some would see as a pointless thread, but I just find it a little positive that we are staying overnight for what is a comparatively close match.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Financial Problems or not???

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Jan 2014 18:10

IN before the merge.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2014 18:16

They've got a travel lodge family room.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 03 Jan 2014 18:39

I made a similar point a week or so ago where Aaron Kuhl signed pro terms despite other clubs interested. You would of thought his dad (who is a senior coach at the club) would be have reservations signing a contract with a club that is in financial dire straights. I think rumours on the Interweb have more influence (& are more interesting to believe) than day to day fact.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 03 Jan 2014 18:44

We're neither going to go into administration nor buy someone really expensive.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Jan 2014 18:57

No, but will be a period of consolidating what we have. Until a buyout is complete we won't be doing much at all

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 03 Jan 2014 19:09

Does anyone really hate takeovers, now? You never know enough about these people to workout how genuine they are. And to be honest, you have to question the motives of anyone buying a football club; they're quite unlikely to break even on their investment, let alone make a profit. SJM never had bottomless pockets, but at least we knew he loved the club.

excavvyinbrittany

by excavvyinbrittany » 03 Jan 2014 20:03

EPP you might well get smashed but what you say does have a certain ring of common sense so rare on this site

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 03 Jan 2014 21:06

excavvyinbrittany EPP you might well get smashed but what you say does have a certain ring of common sense so rare on this site

Seconded!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2014 21:24

Reckon the cost of a squad overnight stay is pretty paltry compared to the wage bill. Not sure this is the best indicator for a club recently relegated from the Prem.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jan 2014 23:32

How does an owner not having enough money to complete a takeover equate to a financial crisis for the club?

It's as if people think the payment he was due to make would have gone to the club as income, and suddenly the club has been plunged into a £40 million debt.

Also, an owner not having the funds to complete a takeover doesn't mean he's in a financial hole and needs to call in loans he's made to the club (has he even made loans to the club?)

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 06 Jan 2014 14:38

I saw SJM driving past me the other day in a nice white Bentley, I don't know whether that's a good sign that he can afford a Bentley or a sign of cloth cutting because he wasn't chauffeured....... at the end of the day, the fact he can afford a Bentley shows he has money.

You can probably apply the same logic to the club, Look around (not on the pitch) and there are positive signs.

I imagine SJM is not keen to pump his own money into the club for AZ to reap 51% of the rewards, However he will probably pump enough in to safeguard his investment (avoid relegation).

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 06 Jan 2014 14:50

Royal Biscuitman a nice white Bentley

So this rings true, but is he still shagging Cilla Black? :?

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 06 Jan 2014 15:34

I noticed at the Forest game that my half-time pint of Fosters was slightly less watered-down than usual.

Possibly a sign of our improving financial situation?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Jan 2014 16:39

I would guess that RFC's finances are similar to my own. A reasonable income but high outgoings and with debts and assets all over the place it's hard to work out whether you're in the red or black. So you play things cautiously, you don't mind spending £25 on a curry but you think twice about buying a new tv.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 06 Jan 2014 17:32

Elm Park Kid I would guess that RFC's finances are similar to my own. A reasonable income but high outgoings and with debts and assets all over the place it's hard to work out whether you're in the red or black. So you play things cautiously, you don't mind spending £25 on a curry but you think twice about buying a new tv.

£25, that's half a curry you lightweight! :wink:

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 06 Jan 2014 17:42

I'm sure the advanced checks and balances by the "authorities" were supposed to ensure stuff like this didn't happen? :x

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 06 Jan 2014 17:52

ScepticalRoyal I'm sure the advanced checks and balances by the "authorities" were supposed to ensure stuff like this didn't happen? :x

Stuff like what?

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 06 Jan 2014 17:54

MouldyRoyal
ScepticalRoyal I'm sure the advanced checks and balances by the "authorities" were supposed to ensure stuff like this didn't happen? :x

Stuff like what?

Making sure the owner has money to support the club and won't run away if we go down.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Jan 2014 17:58

ScepticalRoyal
MouldyRoyal

Stuff like what?

Making sure the owner has money to support the club and won't run away if we go down.

a) For all we know he does have the money to support the club, but for whatever reason has decided that RFC is no longer a viable business proposition

b) How are they supposed to ensure that a foreign owner will be any more loyal than 25% of the club's existing fanbase?

The FPPT, as far as I'm aware, is there to ensure that the potential new owner isn't involved in anything dodgy, isn't going to risk the future of the football club, and has access to funds to support the club. The third point was presumably covered by Boris' fortune, and we haven't any evidence to suggest that Anton was liable to being caught out on the first two criteria, so what exactly should the authorities have picked up on?

409 posts