McCarthy to Arsenal apparently...

EverHopeful

Re: McCarthy to Arsenal apparently...

by EverHopeful » 18 May 2014 23:49

£3M - has to be more than that: england squad, u21:s and apart from a couple of nightmares (which all keepers do) has been pretty steady. yeah, distribution can be improved but still young. no less than £6M as english and young

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 May 2014 00:30

£3m seems about right to me, £4m at a push / if we can get a bidding war going.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 May 2014 00:49

£2 million, with Drenthe, Pog and Guthrie thrown in for free...

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 May 2014 00:54

Now that seems familiar, where have i seen that before :?:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 May 2014 01:03

maffff Now that seems familiar, where have i seen that before :?:

It's all my own work

Like McCarthy, it deserves a wider audience only a niche forum on HNA can provide

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 May 2014 01:16

:mrgreen:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 May 2014 08:46

maffff :mrgreen:

Apparently now to Swansea for around £3m - seems very cheap to me.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 May 2014 08:58

He didn't have a spectacular season, he's no longer in the England reckoning (maybe 6th choice at best) and at 25 is no longer a 'great prospect' but a keeper moving into the prime years of his career.

No way we will get £6m for him.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 May 2014 09:15

EverHopeful £3M - has to be more than that: england squad, u21:s and apart from a couple of nightmares (which all keepers do) has been pretty steady. yeah, distribution can be improved but still young. no less than £6M as english and young

He is in the last year of his contract and I doubt he will sign another, so there is only one way that his value is going. £3m is probably a fair price maybe with some add-ons.....

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 May 2014 09:32

Wycombe Royal
EverHopeful £3M - has to be more than that: england squad, u21:s and apart from a couple of nightmares (which all keepers do) has been pretty steady. yeah, distribution can be improved but still young. no less than £6M as english and young

He is in the last year of his contract and I doubt he will sign another, so there is only one way that his value is going. £3m is probably a fair price maybe with some add-ons.....

Good point about last year of his contract - makes a big difference - surprised we didn't try and extend it last year. Instead we gave Kanu a 4 year one!!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 May 2014 09:54

Rather have Nwankwo.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 19 May 2014 09:58

£3m with a year left is great business. Swansea would be ideal for him too.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 May 2014 10:50

Thank god we have Feds!!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 May 2014 10:55

SPARTA £3m with a year left is great business. Swansea would be ideal for him too.

reckon with monk in charge Swansea are sure fire bet to go down next season, plus he will need to work on his distribution if he is to fit into their style of play

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 May 2014 21:48

Dave-Royal Reading wont Sell Alex McCarthy For 3m pounds, :shock:? 5m pounds than he be gone to Swansea City :(

Power post

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 May 2014 21:49

Dave-Royal Reading wont Sell Alex McCarthy For 3m pounds, :shock:? 5m pounds than he be gone to Swansea City :(

We already sell McCarthy for two stamps and penny Dave, announced tomorrow.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 20 May 2014 11:22

Lovely hot donuts! I have faith that Andersen would be a competent no.1 but am somewhat concerned that our no.2 would be Jon Henly. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential but he spent the end of this season playing for my second team, Maidenhead United. He did very well and was very popular with their fan's who are desperate to have him back for the new season. But that is for Maidenhead in the Skrill South! Really not confident he could step in and be any good in the championship should Andersen get injured. :(

+1 pretty much for this. Not sure if i'd call Maidenhead my second team, but I do follow them from time to time and I thought the same myself from the moment he joined. He's probably better than a Conference South keeper, and he did pretty well against one of the top teams Sutton in highlights I saw, but I thought it was a pretty damning assessment of his Reading future him dropping down that low to get some games. Tbh, I thought he may well be leaving this summer and if he'd been out of contract (which I thought he was) i'm not sure we would have kept him on when we have so many younger keepers coming through.

As for Andersen, seem to remember he got rave reviews at Bristol Rovers and was very impressive when I saw play for Denmark in the U21 Championships a few years back, but I can't help but feel he's gone backwards in the last couple of years. Didn't seem to stand out for Pompey in 2012-13, and he's not played much at Randers in the last year. Happy for him to be our no 2 and get some games in the cup next season but i'd be hoping Feds stays for another year if McCarthy goes. I was expecting us to lose of them but would be concerned to lose both. Feds being in the last year of his contract wouldn't bother me, we wouldn't get much for him now anyway, and leaving next summer would at least free up his wages.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 May 2014 11:54

KC Royal
Lovely hot donuts! I have faith that Andersen would be a competent no.1 but am somewhat concerned that our no.2 would be Jon Henly. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential but he spent the end of this season playing for my second team, Maidenhead United. He did very well and was very popular with their fan's who are desperate to have him back for the new season. But that is for Maidenhead in the Skrill South! Really not confident he could step in and be any good in the championship should Andersen get injured. :(

+1 pretty much for this. Not sure if i'd call Maidenhead my second team, but I do follow them from time to time and I thought the same myself from the moment he joined. He's probably better than a Conference South keeper, and he did pretty well against one of the top teams Sutton in highlights I saw, but I thought it was a pretty damning assessment of his Reading future him dropping down that low to get some games. Tbh, I thought he may well be leaving this summer and if he'd been out of contract (which I thought he was) i'm not sure we would have kept him on when we have so many younger keepers coming through.

As for Andersen, seem to remember he got rave reviews at Bristol Rovers and was very impressive when I saw play for Denmark in the U21 Championships a few years back, but I can't help but feel he's gone backwards in the last couple of years. Didn't seem to stand out for Pompey in 2012-13, and he's not played much at Randers in the last year. Happy for him to be our no 2 and get some games in the cup next season but i'd be hoping Feds stays for another year if McCarthy goes. I was expecting us to lose of them but would be concerned to lose both. Feds being in the last year of his contract wouldn't bother me, we wouldn't get much for him now anyway, and leaving next summer would at least free up his wages.

That second paragraph is spot on. Andersen is highly rated by the Gasheads, or at least the ones I know. If one of Feds or Macca go that is not a bad thing either but losing both would not be good.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 May 2014 13:30

KC Royal He's probably better than a Conference South keeper, and he did pretty well against one of the top teams Sutton in highlights I saw, but I thought it was a pretty damning assessment of his Reading future him dropping down that low to get some games.

Both Federici and McCarthy went down into the same kind of level at similar ages to get games. Doesn't seem to have prevented them from being Champship keepers.

With keepers they almost have to go lower down to start with because they're not going to get 10/20 minute sub appearances to stake their claim for a starting place like an outfield player can.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 May 2014 13:42

Plus the 'experience' goal keepers get out on loan isn't as dependent on the level they're playing at as it is for outfield players.