Summer 2014 Transfer Window

307 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer 2014 Transfer Window

by Nameless » 06 Jun 2014 13:04

floyd__streete Am I the only one who couldn't give an utter monkeys at this stage? World Cup to look forward to, yet too many football fans still wet themselves over transfer gossip and rumours in the papers. It is fan-girling in the extreme and very sad tbh.

I'd like a complete news black-out (and if any club can manage this, it is Reading FC) on new signings etc. and then on the first day of the season it could be a nice surprise for us all.

What do you think :?:

You mean wait until 5 mins before kick off and then see how many of the team you actually recognise ?

jellytot

by jellytot » 06 Jun 2014 13:18

floyd__streete Am I the only one who couldn't give an utter monkeys at this stage? World Cup to look forward to, yet too many football fans still wet themselves over transfer gossip and rumours in the papers. It is fan-girling in the extreme and very sad tbh.

I'd like a complete news black-out (and if any club can manage this, it is Reading FC) on new signings etc. and then on the first day of the season it could be a nice surprise for us all.

Not sure I give much of a rat's arse for the World Cup. In 2010 we saw displays from England that were just shocking. There was no passion and just a load of grumbling overpaid players who wasted time being in South Africa. This time any better? Expectations are low. Thought that we would get beat 2 or 3 nil in every game except for the last game. Might do a bit better than that but we are not very good. Not really bothered.

As for revealing our signings in some kind of surprise press conference on Transfer Deadline Day. Nick Hammond sat with the new owner, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Gylfi, Lampard and Beckham what a wonderful dream that is! More than likely Nick Hammond sat with a load of empty chairs or some crap loan signing. He will be smiling talking about the Reading way.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 06 Jun 2014 13:30

That still doesn't make this thread any less useless. :|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Jun 2014 14:02

Nameless When was the last season that the country ran out of footballers in the summer and teams weren't able to buy enough to have a squad ?

That extreme and slightly sarcastic response doesn't adequately address the perfectly reasonable point being made though, does it?!

Like any market where there is a very high demand for good quality at a reasonable price, the sooner you get into it the better. Yes there are exceptions to that 'rule' but that is exactly what they are. As availabilty of quality product decreases, so the price of what is left will tend to rise.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 06 Jun 2014 14:28

jellytot

Not sure I give much of a rat's arse for the World Cup. In 2010 we saw displays from England that were just shocking. There was no passion and just a load of grumbling overpaid players who wasted time being in South Africa. This time any better? Expectations are low. Thought that we would get beat 2 or 3 nil in every game except for the last game. Might do a bit better than that but we are not very good. Not really bothered.

As for revealing our signings in some kind of surprise press conference on Transfer Deadline Day. Nick Hammond sat with the new owner, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Gylfi, Lampard and Beckham what a wonderful dream that is! More than likely Nick Hammond sat with a load of empty chairs or some crap loan signing. He will be smiling talking about the Reading way.

Hang on. You're not bothered about the World Cup because you don't think England will do well? You don't care about the rest of the tournament?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Jun 2014 15:22

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 06 Jun 2014 15:43

Ian Royal With Pearce, Morrison, Hector, Sweeney and Cooper I'd say centreback has to be very low on the priority scale.

Ridiculous. You don't think there is any benefit from Morrison and Hector playing alongside an experienced centre back?
Given we might be in the market for somebody with captain material - good lord an experienced CB would be a good buy in the transfer market

Floyd Streete Am I the only one who couldn't give an utter monkeys at this stage?.

Greed. Call me mad, but maybe knowing who our owner is first might be of some benefit to transfer strategy

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jun 2014 16:20

RoyalBlue
Nameless When was the last season that the country ran out of footballers in the summer and teams weren't able to buy enough to have a squad ?

That extreme and slightly sarcastic response doesn't adequately address the perfectly reasonable point being made though, does it?!

Like any market where there is a very high demand for good quality at a reasonable price, the sooner you get into it the better. Yes there are exceptions to that 'rule' but that is exactly what they are. As availabilty of quality product decreases, so the price of what is left will tend to rise.

No one is saying wait until deadline day, but there are loads of players available and we are not competing for Costa, Fabregas or Luis. It will only be late in the window http prices for as all number of players rise, forget that o level economics n book you once read and think about what really happens.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jun 2014 17:45

Zana Badawi
Ian Royal With Pearce, Morrison, Hector, Sweeney and Cooper I'd say centreback has to be very low on the priority scale.

Ridiculous. You don't think there is any benefit from Morrison and Hector playing alongside an experienced centre back?
Given we might be in the market for somebody with captain material - good lord an experienced CB would be a good buy in the transfer market

Floyd Streete Am I the only one who couldn't give an utter monkeys at this stage?.

Greed. Call me mad, but maybe knowing who our owner is first might be of some benefit to transfer strategy

Er... Pearce has like 4 - 5 seasons of PL / Champ experience.

I don't see why we'd be in the market for a captain when Morrison was captain for most of his starts and Pearce has already done the job and is now much more experienced and mature. Plus we've got Guthrie and Gunter who've both worn the armband for us.

Frankly, left back, winger & striker are far far higher priorities when we've got plenty of talent of a reasonable age sitting at CB. And maybe midfield given how much of a shambles we were there this season.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 06 Jun 2014 20:49

+1.

But by next season I'll be watching Slough on a more regular basis as I won't be able to stand Paladini in control.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Jun 2014 23:30

Mr.Swainey

+1.

But by next season I'll be watching Slough on a more regular basis as I won't be able to stand Paladini in control.

So at least there would be some positives to come out of it.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 07 Jun 2014 00:29

Zana Badawi

Ah the old song :-)
We're not Real Madrid
We're not Barcelona
We are Reading Football Club
F*ck knows who is our owner

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 Jun 2014 10:14

I'll play ... for free

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 07 Jun 2014 11:15

sandman
Mr.Swainey

+1.

So at least there would be some positives to come out of it.

:D

jellytot

by jellytot » 08 Jun 2014 05:46

As for revealing our signings in some kind of surprise press conference on Transfer Deadline Day. Nick Hammond sat with the new owner, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Gylfi, Lampard and Beckham what a wonderful dream that is! More than likely Nick Hammond sat with a load of empty chairs or some crap loan signing. He will be smiling talking about the Reading way.[/quote]

Hang on. You're not bothered about the World Cup because you don't think England will do well? You don't care about the rest of the tournament?[/quote]

Pretty much yep. I have 2 young kids and a life. Once we are out (won't be long) I am not bothered. May watch the final. Might get my haircut instead.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2014 08:13

Yep can understand that, not interested in games where you don't care who wins. Might have done one day but, thanks to crap like SKY, football is just everywhere all the time so who cares as there'll be another game/overrated player/pointless punditry etc. along in a minute.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 08 Jun 2014 10:55

Sutekh Yep can understand that, not interested in games where you don't care who wins. Might have done one day but, thanks to crap like SKY, football is just everywhere all the time so who cares as there'll be another game/overrated player/pointless punditry etc. along in a minute.

You mean you're not staying up for Ivory Coast v Japan? :o

I know what you mean. The whole media frenzy that England will win it this time annoys me. They all have to talk it up to sustain the Emperor's New Clothes "fact" that the Premiership is the greatest division in the known universe. Buy this flag, add this to your car, buy this beer because it's the official one, buy this chocolate bar because it's what Rooney trains on, etc, etc.

There is still normally enough exciting football from other teams to keep me hooked.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jun 2014 20:46

harry
Sutekh Yep can understand that, not interested in games where you don't care who wins. Might have done one day but, thanks to crap like SKY, football is just everywhere all the time so who cares as there'll be another game/overrated player/pointless punditry etc. along in a minute.

You mean you're not staying up for Ivory Coast v Japan? :o

I know what you mean. The whole media frenzy that England will win it this time annoys me. They all have to talk it up to sustain the Emperor's New Clothes "fact" that the Premiership is the greatest division in the known universe. Buy this flag, add this to your car, buy this beer because it's the official one, buy this chocolate bar because it's what Rooney trains on, etc, etc.

There is still normally enough exciting football from other teams to keep me hooked.

Erm what? No one thinks we've got a hope. I've not seen much confidence we'll get out the group let alone bloody win it!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Jun 2014 10:36

got to agree with that-lowest expectations ever, though as usual they are rising as we approach the first game, ready to drop again after a turgid 0-0 in the first game in the heat

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jun 2014 14:49

melonhead got to agree with that-lowest expectations ever, though as usual they are rising as we approach the first game, ready to drop again after a turgid 0-0 in the first game in the heat

0-0 against Italy, yes please. Beat Costa Rica and go up on GD.

307 posts