Deadline Day Thread

320 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Deadline Day Thread

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Sep 2014 12:01

Pepe the Horseman Is that the guy who refused to play, to force a move? Yeah, get him back, he seems nice.

:)

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Sep 2014 12:08

I am pleased with our transfer business and I have no problem with the club taking a sensible approach. We were never going to spend what we received in transfer fees.

I still think that we will see a left back and maybe Dean Hammond come in on loan once the loan window opens next week. I think Hammond would give us some steel in midfield, until Jem and Williams recover from their injuries.

Not sure why the negativity from some posters, as we were supposedly close to administration only 2-3 months a go.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Sep 2014 12:13

blythspartan I am pleased with our transfer business and I have no problem with the club taking a sensible approach. We were never going to spend what we received in transfer fees.

I still think that we will see a left back and maybe Dean Hammond come in on loan once the loan window opens next week. I think Hammond would give us some steel in midfield, until Jem and Williams recover from their injuries.

Not sure why the negativity from some posters, as we were supposedly close to administration only 2-3 months a go.

Dean Hammond will not drop to the Championship, considering he's played an important role in their games so far this season....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Sep 2014 12:20

LoyalRoyal22
LoyalRoyal22 Cox, Mackie & Ferdinand add squad depth, Norwood & Murray add real quality. If i was told we had to lose 3 of our top players in the summer to raise money, i would have honestly chosen McCarthy, Morrison, and Le Fondre. So i am content with the window, but would be nice if we could bring in some quality loans to cover injuries.

Just hope the club can get the likes of Gunter & McCleary tied up to new deals before January and the future would look bright.

Also shifting Drenthe is a massive bonus.

Depends who is paying the wages

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Sep 2014 12:22

Not really, wasn't going to play here either way so to get him out of the squad where, by all accounts, he's been disruptive can only be a good thing really.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2014 12:46

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM We need to loan in a centre half and a left back then we're sorted once everyone is back from injury

Cooper has been fine, so with Pearce Hector and Ferdinand I don't see why we need a CB.

lol Cooper has only played 8 mins of football in the Championship - how can you say "he has been fine"* :lol:
Ferdinand hasn't played at all and Hector is better in midfield than he is in defence.

*please don't say cos of the game against a poor League One side

Hector isn't better in midfield than defence IMO.
Cooper has looked far from out of place in all of his appearances and has shown nothing to suggest he isn't a reasonable 4th choice centreback.
Ferdinand, the Jury is out, but if the club signed him, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until he shows he's not good enough. He certainly ought to be ok for third choice.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Sep 2014 12:54

Ian Royal
TBM
Ian Royal Cooper has been fine, so with Pearce Hector and Ferdinand I don't see why we need a CB.

lol Cooper has only played 8 mins of football in the Championship - how can you say "he has been fine"* :lol:
Ferdinand hasn't played at all and Hector is better in midfield than he is in defence.

Cooper has looked far from out of place in all of his appearances and has shown nothing to suggest he isn't a reasonable 4th choice centreback.
Ferdinand, the Jury is out, but if the club signed him, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until he shows he's not good enough. He certainly ought to be ok for third choice.

Matter of opinion on Hector i agree but if Morro hadn't left he would still be in CM

I still don't know how you can judge Cooper on 8mins of Championship football, though....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2014 12:59

I agree if Morro was still here he'd currently still be playing. Which is why selling him was great business. I was expecting Hector to be firmly installed at the back by the end of the season anyway.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 02 Sep 2014 13:05

Who was our 4th choice centre back in 05/06? Curtis Osano?

Cooper > Osano

curetonsdipper

by curetonsdipper » 02 Sep 2014 13:38

TBM
Ian Royal
TBM lol Cooper has only played 8 mins of football in the Championship - how can you say "he has been fine"* :lol:

Matter of opinion on Hector i agree but if Morro hadn't left he would still be in CM

I still don't know how you can judge Cooper on 8mins of Championship football, though....

Hector clearly wants to play defence, shown by how he played there after morro left. He had a superb game and looked much more comfortable than he ever did in midfield. Hes not our answer to a tackling midfielder as the game passes him by far too often. Just because we have injuries and centre mid crisis atm, doesnt mean he, or indeed obita, is a centre mid. Hes young and still learning so he'll make the odd mistake but in time he'll make a much better defender than midfielder.

As with cooper, we can only judge on what we've seen. But hes only 19 and has come on in two games when we're being pressured and holding onto a lead and hes looked very composed. Absolutely no problem with him as a reserve cb. In time I can see him being a very good player. Most teams dont even use their 4th choice cb so its not even an issue, hes only backup now while anton gets fit.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Sep 2014 14:39

Absolutely Hector is a centre half not a midfielder and Obita looks much more accomplished at left back than further up the pitch. If he can't see that's where he's best suited at the moment then it's down to Adkins and the staff to bring him round.

We have Robson-Kanu, Mackie, McLeary and kind of Taylor who can play on the left wing. None of them are ideal so I'd still like us to bring in a natural left winger to give us a bit more balance, but how realistic that is for the club I've no idea.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Sep 2014 14:55

Hoop Blah Absolutely Hector is a centre half not a midfielder and Obita looks much more accomplished at left back than further up the pitch. If he can't see that's where he's best suited at the moment then it's down to Adkins and the staff to bring him round.

We have Robson-Kanu, Mackie, McLeary and kind of Taylor who can play on the left wing. None of them are ideal so I'd still like us to bring in a natural left winger to give us a bit more balance, but how realistic that is for the club I've no idea.

I'd like to see a left winger come in too and I thought we'd see that during the window. However, given the number of centre midfielders we have on the books, I think NA will go 433 when everyone is fit. That gives us two players for every position: Karacan, Guthrie, Williams, Norwood, Akpan and Kuhl in midfield and Pog, Murray, Cox, Mackie, HRK and McLeary up top. Good balance to the squad and a chance to change the game from the bench which we've rarely been able to do. If Hammond comes in then either Akpan or Kuhl will probably go out on loan.

I know that neither McLeary or HRK are strikers, but as wide forwards in that system, they can definitely do a good job.

If we can get a left back in on loan, we'll be in very good shape.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Sep 2014 15:00

I think we'll still play 4-2-3-1; and I don't think the lack of a LW is too much of a problem. Pretty much any of the current crop of wingers can play on either flank, plus it's REdwards natural position, I think we've got enough cover there.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Sep 2014 15:12

kwik-silva I think we'll still play 4-2-3-1; and I don't think the lack of a LW is too much of a problem. Pretty much any of the current crop of wingers can play on either flank, plus it's REdwards natural position, I think we've got enough cover there.

Fair enough. However, if it's REdwards natural position, it begs the question why we've seen Taylor playing there. He's never looked all that comfortable on the wing.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 02 Sep 2014 16:42

I could be wrong but isn't Edwards more of a right winger if he plays a wide role ?

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 02 Sep 2014 19:30

LoyalRoyal22
LoyalRoyal22 Cox, Mackie & Ferdinand add squad depth, Norwood & Murray add real quality. If i was told we had to lose 3 of our top players in the summer to raise money, i would have honestly chosen McCarthy, Morrison, and Le Fondre. So i am content with the window, but would be nice if we could bring in some quality loans to cover injuries.

Just hope the club can get the likes of Gunter & McCleary tied up to new deals before January and the future would look bright.

Also shifting Drenthe is a massive bonus.

Agreed. If we had the squad fully-fit and also knew of the capabilities of some of our academy grads, then these additions would almost be a luxury surplus but they do add quality. Come December (assuming everyone can stay fit), it's going to be quite different.

Now get contracts renewed...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Sep 2014 19:50

PieEater Incredibly QPR can't agree terms with Borini. Sudden financial sense?

Apparently Borini wanted only half of what QPR were offering but 'array needed him to take more money to ensure his own cut :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Sep 2014 20:34

Esteban
Hoop Blah Absolutely Hector is a centre half not a midfielder and Obita looks much more accomplished at left back than further up the pitch. If he can't see that's where he's best suited at the moment then it's down to Adkins and the staff to bring him round.

I'd like to see a left winger come in too and I thought we'd see that during the window. However, given the number of centre midfielders we have on the books, I think NA will go 433 when everyone is fit. That gives us two players for every position: Karacan, Guthrie, Williams, Norwood, Akpan and Kuhl in midfield and Pog, Murray, Cox, Mackie, HRK and McLeary up top. Good balance to the squad and a chance to change the game from the bench which we've rarely been able to do. If Hammond comes in then either Akpan or Kuhl will probably go out on loan.

I know that neither McLeary or HRK are strikers, but as wide forwards in that system, they can definitely do a good job.

If we can get a left back in on loan, we'll be in very good shape.

If you're playing 'wide forwards' in a 4-3-3 then you're basically playing wingers. If Robson-Kanu gets fit and finds some form then great, he's suited to the role (albeit still a bit shite for my liking), but he's still the only left winger we have, hence the need for one IMO.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Sep 2014 10:17

Anyone got an idea who the defender is who we supposedly missed out on that went to PL team instead?

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 10 Sep 2014 11:05

loyalroyal4life Anyone got an idea who the defender is who we supposedly missed out on that went to PL team instead?

Believe it was either Michael Keane (Machester Utd to Burnley on loan) or Zeki Fryers (Tottenham to Crystal Palace on a 3 yr deal).

320 posts