Rumour - Nathaniel Chalobah

160 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Nathaniel Chalobah

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2015 19:03

I don't think Chalobah adds anything we don't already have and won't prove significantly better than Quinn or Williams. We want goals, not more midfield workhorses. I want to see Quinn, Williams, Norwood, Tish and Kuhl show what they can do, not Chelsea player's we've no hope of having here in the long-term.

If we're going to bring someone in making it a pissing winger or a striker where we're actually weak.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 12 Aug 2015 19:40

I think for those that don't rate Chalobah, it probably says more about how you watch a football game than whether he would significantly improve our first XI.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 12 Aug 2015 19:56

Ian Royal I don't think Chalobah adds anything we don't already have and won't prove significantly better than Quinn or Williams. We want goals, not more midfield workhorses. I want to see Quinn, Williams, Norwood, Tish and Kuhl show what they can do, not Chelsea player's we've no hope of having here in the long-term.

If we're going to bring someone in making it a pissing winger or a striker where we're actually weak.

Are you kidding? He would be one of the top midfielders in the division. Cant believe he didn't go somewhere like Bournemouth though.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 12 Aug 2015 20:12

Ian Royal I don't think Chalobah adds anything we don't already have We want goals, not more midfield workhorses.

Depend how we play him, He got 20 goals in the season that Watford played him as an attacking midfielder.
Do we have another AM that could do that ?
Akpan and Taylor out with Chalobah coming in is good news.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2015 20:16

72 bus
Ian Royal I don't think Chalobah adds anything we don't already have We want goals, not more midfield workhorses.

Depend how we play him, He got 20 goals in the season that Watford played him as an attacking midfielder.

Ohhhh you mean the season he played in position (defensive mid) and scored 5 goals? That one?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 12 Aug 2015 20:25

This is tricky. As I have said I now sit in the don't do it camp however at the start of the summer I would have loved to have had him back for another season.

I thought he was really good last year but we stand little to no chance of getting him permanently so why should we develop him for someone else to benefit from when we have our own youngsters we could be developing for our own benefit. Add that to the fact we have areas that more urgently need improvement and the resources would be better spent there.

The trouble is Clarke is a keen admirer and I think when Chelsea said no earlier in the summer he moved on to other targets but now his number 1 choice is available he might see it as too good to pass up. On another note I wonder why he is now available when he seemingly wasn't before?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2015 20:32

CountryRoyal
72 bus

Ohhhh you mean the season he played in position (defensive mid) and scored 5 goals? That one?

20 goals from midfield in one season from a man with 9 career goals. Impressive stuff.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Aug 2015 21:12

Lol.

I don't think anyone's saying they don't rate him, The Rouge. It's just odd given we're already overrun with CMs to the point that most people's top two are being played out wide.

yappy

by yappy » 12 Aug 2015 21:25

Didn't actually realise how young Chalobah is, feels like he's been around for quite a while. Amazing to think that he was only 17-18 at his loan spell at Watford, where I thought he looked like one of the league's better players.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Aug 2015 21:33

I seem to recall he scored over 100 goals that season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Aug 2015 21:51

He got the other 4 against Tranmere when Friday scored that goal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2015 22:08

Didn't he get all 99 goals the season we won the league ?

Apart from Murts penalty of course

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Aug 2015 22:23

Pepe the Horseman Lol.

I don't think anyone's saying they don't rate him, The Rouge. It's just odd given we're already overrun with CMs to the point that most people's top two are being played out wide.

Think we are getting him in for his versatility more than anything, he can slot in at right back when SC decides Gunter is useless

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2015 23:23

loyalroyal4life
Pepe the Horseman Lol.

Think we are getting him in for his versatility more than anything, he can slot in at right back when SC decides Gunter is useless

No no no. Round pegs in round holes ffs. Want a back up right back, play a oxf*rd right back.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 13 Aug 2015 09:39

Chalobah is a very good footballer, and is at the age where he's gonna be getting better every season.

I bet the people who want Kuhl/Tanner/Tish to be playing games instead of signing players on loan like Chalobah are the same people who moan after a narrow 2-1 defeat.

Reading don't want another average season. Having someone like Chalobah in the side would bring an extra level of quality - the quality needed to win more games. Simple. Our young players will develop, but if they aren't good enough to be first team yet, then I'm all for getting in players who are good enough.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Aug 2015 10:00

With Hurtado coming in, this and another striker and I reks we have a pretty bloody good squad that should be looking towards the playoffs.

---------------------Bond--------------------
Gunter McShane Ferdinand Obita
-----------Williams Chalobah-----------
McCleary------Quinn---------Hurtado
--------------A good striker--------------

Whether that's Sa or not remains to be seen. That's definitely a team that should be looking at a top 6 finish IMO.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 13 Aug 2015 10:48

genome With Hurtado coming in, this and another striker and I reks we have a pretty bloody good squad that should be looking towards the playoffs.

Whether that's Sa or not remains to be seen. That's definitely a team that should be looking at a top 6 finish IMO.

I agree - that would mean just five remain from last seasons first team - whether the team make the top six is dependent on a scorer and team desire, last season the team seemed to play out the season and show desire only for FA Cup matches.

It does mean the subs bench has some quality and options as well with:
Norwood, Blackman, Hector, Taylor, Al, Pav, Cox, Cooper, Keown, Tshibola, Khul, and Alex to join?

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 13 Aug 2015 10:51

Pepe the Horseman I seem to recall he scored over 100 goals that season.

That's quite correct. ..154 in 172 starts I believe .....oh no wait that's that Polish Serbian Hungarian dude on that other thread ...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2015 19:31

Rollerbob Chalobah is a very good footballer, and is at the age where he's gonna be getting better every season.

I bet the people who want Kuhl/Tanner/Tish to be playing games instead of signing players on loan like Chalobah are the same people who moan after a narrow 2-1 defeat.

the exact opposite, in actual fact.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Aug 2015 23:07

genome With Hurtado coming in, this and another striker and I reks we have a pretty bloody good squad that should be looking towards the playoffs.

It won't be Sa. He's not good. At all. And never will be.

160 posts