Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

375 posts
RoyalJones

Re: Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:24

Tommio

Decent player, but similar to Cooper in the fact that he's lanky and clumsy. Not sure i'd want him, even if cooper goes.

Probably not a capable starter but a backup perhaps in case McShane or another CB got injured.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:39

Maneki Neko
Kuhl_Runnings Keep Al-Habsi, Bond, Moore, Keown, Sweeney, McShane, Cooper, Obita, Watson, McCleary, Quinn, Tshibola, Barrett, Kuhl, Evans, Rakels, Dickie and Samuel.

For the last 5 seasons, and especially now, what have we needed? A god damn 20-30 goal striker, some pace, wide players who can cross, full backs who don't piss around up front and charismatic midfielders.

is charisma really that important in a midfielder?
are 20-30 goals a season championship strikers really that common/easy to get/cheap enough?

agree on rest

The thais will never pay 5 million+ for a top quality striker which is a shame because that's what we need right now along with some other players

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:42

Top Flight
Ian Royal
RoyalJones And he carries the losing mentality that we have had for the past few years since we were relegated. As you said, a great athlete but can't cross and doesn't come across as being a championship winning/promtion full-back because he is so weak defensively. The same could be said for Obita where he is a good crosser (sometimes) but is not great at defending and a lot of goals conceded come down from his flank.

Obita is at least up for the fight. He's just not great defensively (better than Gunter in attack). The weakness in defence and tendency to commit silly fouls is a product of being a young winger converted to full back IMO. I think he'd make a good wing back with slightly fewer defensive duties and a back three to keep him out of trouble.

If we had two Jordan Obitas. A cloned copy of the original Jordan. 1 to play left back and the other to play left midfield, we would be pretty strong down the left hand side both defensively and offensively.

Offensively I agree because of the quality of his crosses (sometimes) and we've seen flashes of his ability to get past a player this season which we haven't really seen him do that in the first team before. However, defensively I think he still looks vulnerable but that will improve in the future with training and practice and he'll become a solid left back.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:44

Hoop Blah
Tommio

Decent player, but similar to Cooper in the fact that he's lanky and clumsy. Not sure i'd want him, even if cooper goes.

I think we could maybe do with two new centre halfs this summer. He'd make for a decent option if we were also bringing in a more proven and experienced defender as well (a Gorkss or Brown type signing).

McShane, AN Other, Burn and Cooper would be decent set of options.

If someone is stupid enough to offer us serious money for Cooper then Burn would be a good freebie.

If Bournemouth offer us 5-6 million for Cooper up front i'd take it and run.

It surprises me that Dan Burn is a free agent because he isn't that bad to be fair.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:48

Kuhl_Runnings
Maneki Neko
Kuhl_Runnings Keep Al-Habsi, Bond, Moore, Keown, Sweeney, McShane, Cooper, Obita, Watson, McCleary, Quinn, Tshibola, Barrett, Kuhl, Evans, Rakels, Dickie and Samuel.

For the last 5 seasons, and especially now, what have we needed? A god damn 20-30 goal striker, some pace, wide players who can cross, full backs who don't piss around up front and charismatic midfielders.

are 20-30 goals a season championship strikers really that common/easy to get/cheap enough?

agree on rest

Yes, a charismatic midfielder can be the engine of a team, unlike Williams and Norwood who run around like headless chickens and play long passes to Mr Nobody (respectively). We need presence in the middle otherwise we can't supply the strikers, which has been a problem for a while now (not to mention our god awful crossers of the ball). Also - passion and character. A great midfielder that I imagine should not be pulling out of tackles or pass the ball with the sloppiness and half-heartedness that we're used to.

And true, 20-30 goal strikers are kind of hard to come by, particularly with a low spending team like ourselves. We should at least check the lower leagues for another Le Fondre or something. Not 20-30 goals perhaps, but a striker that is capable of making an impact, scoring wining goals and one that doesn't disappear during crucial games. The player must have great finishing abilities too and not f0ck up a chance at the last hurdle (looking at you Matej).

Agreed, I personally think that Williams is over rated and isn't really a team player. Doesn't have the right qualities to be the person we need in that attacking midfield role where you have to look up and have a decent passing accuracy. Also on Zingarevich wages so it would be useful to free up some wages to buy players.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 May 2016 18:50

Maneki Neko imo the role depends a little bit on the individual club/manager/DOF involved and what they all want/are good at.

For us at the time, NH was a perfect fit for Coppell and Mcdermot, who both prefer managing the players and coaching staff and/or doing the coaching themselves, leaving the contracts and buying players/dealing with agents/owners to someone else,, while the club had a limited budget and needed a man in who could understand the constraints and deal with that, because madejski didn't know about football business .

with McDermott in again, and more owners who don't know about football, maybe he needs another admin man, or maybe the thais think he now needs someone more footbally above him....an avram grant for instance. someone with profile, respect etc
Coppell wouldn't work in the NH role because he hated the contracts/dealing with agents bit anyway. but he would work in a more over arching footbally role,

its a role that can work in many ways, depending on the people/organisations involved.

I personally would not be against Avram Grant coming to the club

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 May 2016 01:18

A slug of a man. But I guess he could bring something

mambo3

by mambo3 » 14 May 2016 08:44

RoyalJones
Maneki Neko

agree on rest

The thais will never pay 5 million+ for a top quality striker which is a shame because that's what we need right now along with some other players

We don't need 5 million. Make Adkins director of football we get Billy Sharp for next to nothing and we have our 20 goal a season man

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 14 May 2016 10:09

Here is how much these top scorers cost their current club to buy:
Gray: 9 million
McCormack: 11 million
Hernandez: 10 million
Kodjia; 2 million
Hemed: 1 million
Wells: 1.3 million

(all have scored 17 or more in the championship)

Gray and McCormack came from the championship
Kodjia and Hemed came from abroad
Wells came from the lower leagues
Abel Hernandez came from abroad

Any observations?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2016 10:39

Three of them are massively overpriced.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 14 May 2016 13:03

RoyalJones
Top Flight
Ian Royal
Obita is at least up for the fight. He's just not great defensively (better than Gunter in attack). The weakness in defence and tendency to commit silly fouls is a product of being a young winger converted to full back IMO. I think he'd make a good wing back with slightly fewer defensive duties and a back three to keep him out of trouble.

If we had two Jordan Obitas. A cloned copy of the original Jordan. 1 to play left back and the other to play left midfield, we would be pretty strong down the left hand side both defensively and offensively.

Offensively I agree because of the quality of his crosses (sometimes) and we've seen flashes of his ability to get past a player this season which we haven't really seen him do that in the first team before. However, defensively I think he still looks vulnerable but that will improve in the future with training and practice and he'll become a solid left back.

I'd love to see two Andy Griffin type full backs brought to the club to form a back four that first and foremost defends. I have some sympathy with Jordan Obita in that he spent years learning to be a winger and then finds himself at full back where, unfortunately, he all too often defends like a winger. I'd get a proper left back and put him back to left side of midfield.
One of our biggest defensive issues is that we don't stop crosses coming into the box from either side. Not only that be we actually allows crosses to be delivered into the most dangerous area just outside the 6 yard box time after time. It's very difficult for centre backs when that keeps happening week after week.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 14 May 2016 13:50

OLLIE KEARNS
RoyalJones
Top Flight

I'd love to see two Andy Griffin type full backs brought to the club to form a back four that first and foremost defends. I have some sympathy with Jordan Obita in that he spent years learning to be a winger and then finds himself at full back where, unfortunately, he all too often defends like a winger. I'd get a proper left back and put him back to left side of midfield.
One of our biggest defensive issues is that we don't stop crosses coming into the box from either side. Not only that be we actually allows crosses to be delivered into the most dangerous area just outside the 6 yard box time after time. It's very difficult for centre backs when that keeps happening week after week.

Yeah, and our championship winning fullbacks were Murty, Shorey, Harte and Cummings. They all put defending first and they could all cross reasonably well. Andrew Taylor is like them but with less ability.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 May 2016 08:56

Impressed with Winnall yesterday. He'll do.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 May 2016 09:17

Quality name too.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 May 2016 14:30

Pepe the Horseman Impressed with Winnall yesterday. He'll do.

Been calling for us to sign him for a long time...

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 Jun 2016 19:31

From comments from one of the owners talking to Thai media and hiring a coach that has worked with young players, there now seems to be an emphasis on youth, the lineup along with new signings could look like this next season.

GK - Bond
LB - Obita
CB - Cooper
CB - McShane
RB - Gunter
CM - Tshibola
CM - Evans
CAM - Barrett
LW - Fosu
RW - Stacey
ST - Samuel

This lineup excites me but scares me also at the same time. All of these players are very promising but with that team we are probably going to be relegated due to lack of experience. This is definitely not going to be the starting lineup next season because of new signings and experienced players like Quinn and Kermorgant being in the squad so you could call this post pointless.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 13 Jun 2016 19:33

As well as the emphasis on youth, there is likely to be a few dutch additions (probably young) joining with the contacts that Stam has with Ajax and Jong Ajax. Who would you like to see from the Eredivisie and the dutch second division come in?

Smithy

by Smithy » 13 Jun 2016 20:48

RoyalJones From comments from one of the owners talking to Thai media and hiring a coach that has worked with young players, there now seems to be an emphasis on youth, the lineup along with new signings could look like this next season.

GK - Bond
LB - Obita
CB - Cooper
CB - McShane
RB - Gunter
CM - Tshibola
CM - Evans
CAM - Barrett
LW - Fosu
RW - Stacey
ST - Samuel

This lineup excites me but scares me also at the same time. All of these players are very promising but with that team we are probably going to be relegated due to lack of experience. This is definitely not going to be the starting lineup next season because of new signings and experienced players like Quinn and Kermorgant being in the squad so you could call this post pointless.

Pointless

bluerinse

by bluerinse » 13 Jun 2016 21:05

Manig, Lam and Onana have already been mentioned as new signings for Stam from the Dutch leagues.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2016 21:22

If we can get the CBs in to allow it, I wouldn't mid seeing us play with three centrebacks and wing backs. I think it would suit our defensively frail full backs and hopefully make Gunter receive the ball higher up the pitch and so be more positive with it. Or get ditched and replaced with McCleary (or my preference sold and replaced by someone actually good). It'd take a bit of pressure off Cooper as well, should he continue to play.

I think this could be a decent base to work from:
................................Al-Habsi
...............McShane..Cooper..Gravenberch
McCleary.....................................................Obita
................Tshibola..Norwood..Quinn
...........................Samuel..Rakels

375 posts