Re: And now Gunter...

by leon » 05 Jul 2016 18:51

Will be. So not actually.

Righto

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2016 18:51

West Stand Man It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU, now we get to spot the idiots who know little or nothing about football and who slag off a very able footballer. Odd that this useless player who some of you are willing to help leave the club has just been selected in to Equippe's team of the tournament!
so you're saying everybody who voted to leave the eu is a rascist....a poor generalisation and it would be fair to expect better from an erudite poster such as yourself.......and especially with your background.......but never mind,
agree with the footballing sentiments tho'

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Jul 2016 18:55

AthleticoSpizz
West Stand Man It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU, now we get to spot the idiots who know little or nothing about football and who slag off a very able footballer. Odd that this useless player who some of you are willing to help leave the club has just been selected in to Equippe's team of the tournament!
so you're saying everybody who voted to leave the eu is a rascist....a poor generalisation and it would be fair to expect better from an erudite poster such as yourself.......and especially with your background.......but never mind,
agree with the footballing sentiments tho'

I apologise. It was blatant fly fishing to see which trout bit the bait. Very naughty of me but ..... :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2016 18:58

........well, we all like to "try it on" sometimes........ Case admonished :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2016 21:03

If you weren't all racists and trying to hide it, you wouldn't get upset by being called racists.

:P

under the tin

by under the tin » 05 Jul 2016 21:07

leon Will be. So not actually.

Righto

It's being done by stealth.
In 1973, we joined a trading organisation called the EEC.
A few years later, there was a referendum to stay in "the common market". I, like many, voted to stay.
Then, gradually, the unelected federalists, remember people like Jacques Delors? started getting delusions of grandeur.
A trading bloc gradually morphed into the EU, aided and abetted by a succession of lily livered prime ministers, signing bits of paper drafted by power hungry federalists (and I include Thatcher. she signed the treaty of Rome) with no mandate to do so from UK voters, and none from anyone else in the rest of the continent.

In the wake of the Brexit vote, Junker, and some of his cohorts had the temerity to criticise a democratically elected UK prime minister for delivering on a manifesto pledge by holding the referendum. That's how the Europrats view democracy. No thanks. Ain't going there.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jul 2016 11:29

#KPOR&G

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 06 Jul 2016 11:36

Gunter: alright footballer, probably at our level, difficult to judge over his time with us as we have been a shambles side, looks better in a more coherent team like Wales. As does HRK.

I don't think either of them are stars but they are better than they seem with us. You could argue that they a contributors to our shite form but personally I think it would be hard for anyone to stand out in what has been a difficult period for us.

Look at the quality England had going into the Euros: Reading are like England vs Iceland. Good players capitulating because of fear, pressure and loss of confidence. Again you could argue truly good players can handle pressure etc but it's not as straightforward as that. Desperation takes hold and beds in. They know what people are saying/will say and the scrutiny aimed at them. I just think history weighs in the mind and our recent history has been enough to make anyone choke.

Maybe for them (and us) it's better to break the habit and move on - perhaps it's just too hard to claw back a resting form of any quality. But I do think they are both better than stats with us suggest and it's a shame we didn't reap the benefits of their promise.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 06 Jul 2016 12:36

Ian Royal If you weren't all racists and trying to hide it, you wouldn't get upset by being called racists.

I am White, but wanting to leave a predominantly White EU makes me a racist in your eyes. OK
It's not about race Ian, it's about wanting out of a broken project that is only going to get worse as greater political union gathers pace.
Probably the main thing that made me reconsider my position on the EU was the deliberate destabilisation of the Ukraine causing a democratically elected leader to be overthrown and then running away like a bunch of cowards when Russia got involved.
I knew then it was not about democracy any more and that the EU was not an organisation I would want watching my back, absolute bunch of cowards.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2016 12:53

72 bus
Ian Royal If you weren't all racists and trying to hide it, you wouldn't get upset by being called racists.

I am White, but wanting to leave a predominantly White EU makes me a racist in your eyes. OK
It's not about race Ian, it's about wanting out of a broken project that is only going to get worse as greater political union gathers pace.
Probably the main thing that made me reconsider my position on the EU was the deliberate destabilisation of the Ukraine causing a democratically elected leader to be overthrown and then running away like a bunch of cowards when Russia got involved.
I knew then it was not about democracy any more and that the EU was not an organisation I would want watching my back, absolute bunch of cowards.

Christ... i even put an emoticon in ffs. Take it to a politics thread for crying out loud.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 06 Jul 2016 17:34

Extended-Phenotype Gunter: alright footballer, probably at our level, difficult to judge over his time with us as we have been a shambles side, looks better in a more coherent team like Wales. As does HRK.

I don't think either of them are stars but they are better than they seem with us. You could argue that they a contributors to our shite form but personally I think it would be hard for anyone to stand out in what has been a difficult period for us.

Look at the quality England had going into the Euros: Reading are like England vs Iceland. Good players capitulating because of fear, pressure and loss of confidence. Again you could argue truly good players can handle pressure etc but it's not as straightforward as that. Desperation takes hold and beds in. They know what people are saying/will say and the scrutiny aimed at them. I just think history weighs in the mind and our recent history has been enough to make anyone choke.

Maybe for them (and us) it's better to break the habit and move on - perhaps it's just too hard to claw back a resting form of any quality. But I do think they are both better than stats with us suggest and it's a shame we didn't reap the benefits of their promise.

I compare Reading last season ( for the last couple of seasons to be fair) to the England rugby side. They went into the 2014 WC with, arguably, some of the best individuals yet failed to deliver. New coach and that same group of players, with a couple of enhancements, are beating everyone.

Reading could do much the same (as could the England football team) with the right leadership and guidance. Or, of course, things could get worse with the wrong coach! Our hope has to be that Stam is the right man to gel this lot and add in the right enhancements.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 06 Jul 2016 18:35

West Stand Man
Extended-Phenotype Gunter: alright footballer, probably at our level, difficult to judge over his time with us as we have been a shambles side, looks better in a more coherent team like Wales. As does HRK.

I compare Reading last season ( for the last couple of seasons to be fair) to the England rugby side. They went into the 2014 WC with, arguably, some of the best individuals yet failed to deliver. New coach and that same group of players, with a couple of enhancements, are beating everyone.

Reading could do much the same (as could the England football team) with the right leadership and guidance. Or, of course, things could get worse with the wrong coach! Our hope has to be that Stam is the right man to gel this lot and add in the right enhancements.

sounds like BM all over again, but yes you just never can tell, there's not a huge amount between most sides in this league ..

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jul 2016 08:54

West Stand Man I compare Reading last season ( for the last couple of seasons to be fair) to the England rugby side.

Stop right there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Jul 2016 07:49

Hull City's right back is out injured and they are in for Gunter.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 19 Jul 2016 08:59

He should bide his time. He can do a lot better than Hull who will be back in the Championship in 10 months.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jul 2016 10:11

One8Seven1* He should bide his time. He can do a lot better than Hull who will be back in the Championship in 10 months.

He can hook up with his welsh buddy HRK there though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jul 2016 18:35

Decent cash and a decent replacement and this would be very good news.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2016 18:41

Yeah I think £1m plus and getting McLaughlin in would be decent business.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2016 21:24

Spectating/supporting at the Swine tonight whilst he should still be holidaying?

Good lad

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 21 Jul 2016 15:55

If anybody listened regularly to Dellor, Gooding and Williams (plus a p1ss poor piece of research by Savage at the Euros),
surely the only club coming in for Chris (he's an athlete you know) Gunter should be Thames Valley Harriers?

143 posts