Stam to be sacked?

141 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stam to be sacked?

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 12:16

John Smith
genome
John Smith I told you that exact same thing 3 months ago and you shot me down for it.

There's nothing to 'sort out' anyway, we are destined for a lower mid table finish. Only someone with the quality of Ron Atkinson could get us into the playoffs from here.

Because 3 months ago was the perfect opportunity to sack him :roll:

You've been moaning ever since the Norwich defeat to get him out

No I haven't...

The first time I mentioned wanting Stam out was if we had lost to Forest at home on 31st Oct, which we didn't. I was then Stam In until pretty much the Burton home game.

But even if I did say that, the more time a new manager would have had to make something out of the season, the better :roll:

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 13 Mar 2018 18:57

Stam will Resign At the end of the season . but we will stay up . :D

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 13 Mar 2018 22:51

genome
John Smith
genome
Because 3 months ago was the perfect opportunity to sack him :roll:

You've been moaning ever since the Norwich defeat to get him out

No I haven't...

The first time I mentioned wanting Stam out was if we had lost to Forest at home on 31st Oct, which we didn't. I was then Stam In until pretty much the Burton home game.

But even if I did say that, the more time a new manager would have had to make something out of the season, the better :roll:

Would sacking Stam tonight, with 9 games left and 6 points off the drop zone, be sensible? Common sense would suggest not, especially with the paucity of available alternatives. However, what if he takes us down? In hindsight would a change with 9 games to go have offered an escape from the drop?

All hypothetical I admit, but with Southampton just binning their manager with 8 games left and just 1 point off safety, it does beg the question. Personally, I fear it's too late now to bin Stam. We just cross our fingers and hope Birmingham, Burton and Sunderland don;t improve. Come the close season we must hope that Vitesse Arnhem or some other team entice him away so we don;t have to pay the final year of his contract up.

All in all a pretty dire scenario to end a pretty dire season. Oh well, onto Norwich Saturday. Maybe nick a point??

Rax

by Rax » 13 Mar 2018 23:06

Yes - he needs to be sacked - and right now - along with Tevenden and Gormless.

It's a terrible suggestion (and it really is....) would Harry on a short term contract (and a bung to his dog...) keep us up - it worked for Brum last season?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 08:29

Even bringing in a caretaker for the last 9 games surely wouldn't be worse than what we are witnessing. I agree though, finding a permanent manager now would be tough.

You may laugh but Martin Allen always seems to have a 10-15 game impact. He is available and clearly has an affection for the club.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2018 08:34

Awayawayaway You may laugh but Martin Allen always seems to have a 10-15 game impact. He is available and clearly has an affection for the club.

I did laugh.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 08:42

Old Man Andrews
Awayawayaway You may laugh but Martin Allen always seems to have a 10-15 game impact. He is available and clearly has an affection for the club.

I did laugh.

Another valuable post.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 08:44

strap
genome
John Smith You've been moaning ever since the Norwich defeat to get him out

No I haven't...

Would sacking Stam tonight, with 9 games left and 6 points off the drop zone, be sensible? Common sense would suggest not, especially with the paucity of available alternatives. However, what if he takes us down? In hindsight would a change with 9 games to go have offered an escape from the drop?

All hypothetical I admit, but with Southampton just binning their manager with 8 games left and just 1 point off safety, it does beg the question. Personally, I fear it's too late now to bin Stam. We just cross our fingers and hope Birmingham, Burton and Sunderland don;t improve. Come the close season we must hope that Vitesse Arnhem or some other team entice him away so we don;t have to pay the final year of his contract up.

All in all a pretty dire scenario to end a pretty dire season. Oh well, onto Norwich Saturday. Maybe nick a point??

rightly or wrongly, Southampton clearly had Hughes lined up waiting to take over. Unless we have somebody available and in mind, which I doubt, I think Stam will be here until the end of the season

He is starting to look and sound as shot as the players tbh though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2018 08:45

Awayawayaway
Old Man Andrews

I did laugh.

Another valuable post.

You just seriously suggested Martin Allen should become our manager.

You have less brain cells than Double D. Thats the level you are on.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 08:47

Old Man Andrews
Awayawayaway
Old Man Andrews
I did laugh.

Another valuable post.

You just seriously suggested Martin Allen should become our manager.

You have less brain cells than Double D. Thats the level you are on.

For 9 games to fire them up and get points in the board. Its what he does Who would you suggest?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Mar 2018 09:23

To be fair I can't really imagine anyone doing a worse job than Stam at the moment. How many games have we gone now with no win ... and how many with just 1 win? It's a joke and any manager with a bit of self respect would have resigned by now.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Mar 2018 09:42

Rax It's a terrible suggestion (and it really is....) would Harry on a short term contract (and a bung to his dog...) keep us up - it worked for Brum last season?

I feel disgusting to say this but you are probably right.

I don't think Stam will take us down, though. If we were in the relegation zone I'd say we should get Harry in starting this weekend.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 14 Mar 2018 09:49

Surely some STAM OUT banners must be in production by now? At any other club there would be uproar. We just get told to stick together and back the boys. Well, that's not working. Absolute zero response from the owners, or oxf*rd anyone at the club for that matter. Enough is enough. Someone organize a pitch invasion next home game and I'm IN.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 10:03

John Smith
Rax It's a terrible suggestion (and it really is....) would Harry on a short term contract (and a bung to his dog...) keep us up - it worked for Brum last season?

I feel disgusting to say this but you are probably right.

I don't think Stam will take us down, though. If we were in the relegation zone I'd say we should get Harry in starting this weekend.

can't stand the bloke but nabbed this from Birmingham's wikipedia on last season:

After four months, during which the team won just twice and dropped to 20th place, three points outside the relegation zone with three matches remaining, Zola resigned, to be replaced by Harry Redknapp, initially to the end of the season.[6] Needing to win their final match if Blackburn Rovers and Nottingham Forest both won their final fixture – which they did – Birmingham won 1–0 away to Bristol City to avoid relegation and finish in 19th place

As long as it was very much only to the end of the season, I wouldn't be completely against it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2018 10:52

Royalwaster To be fair I can't really imagine anyone doing a worse job than Stam at the moment. How many games have we gone now with no win ... and how many with just 1 win? It's a joke and any manager with a bit of self respect would have resigned by now.

When and who was the last manager to resign because their club was performing badly and not just to leave for a different position?

Doesn't happen, because they know that owners will sack you and you get a nice pay-off. It isn't about self respect, its about, as most things are, money.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 14 Mar 2018 11:06

What's more surprising is the nature of how we're going down. The fans are just as dejected as the team. As everyone else is pointing out - other teams' fans would be in uproar.

The most rowdy Reading FC fans have got is a little boo at full time, jeering Blackett for a few minutes and moaning on BBC berks. I've not seen one banner, I've not heard a single "protest" chant.. nothing.

We're just quiet little Reading, quietly sinking into league one obscurity.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 11:09

Hendo
Royalwaster To be fair I can't really imagine anyone doing a worse job than Stam at the moment. How many games have we gone now with no win ... and how many with just 1 win? It's a joke and any manager with a bit of self respect would have resigned by now.

When and who was the last manager to resign because their club was performing badly and not just to leave for a different position?

Doesn't happen, because they know that owners will sack you and you get a nice pay-off. It isn't about self respect, its about, as most things are, money.

and to be fair, Stam has made it pretty clear he won't resign. Any question about his future gets the response 'You need to speak to the owners'.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2018 11:49

Hound
Hendo

and to be fair, Stam has made it pretty clear he won't resign. Any question about his future gets the response 'You need to speak to the owners'.

'zactly. Also, surely any self respecting manager would back themselves to turn any mess around, no matter how bad, otherwise, whats the point?

Just like any self respecting striker will back themselves to score, no matter how bad of a run they are on. They don't just resign and ask to leave a club.

JIM

by JIM » 14 Mar 2018 12:56

How many managers have resigned, when they get a big golden handshake if fired. Would you ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2018 14:21

Rollerbob What's more surprising is the nature of how we're going down. The fans are just as dejected as the team. As everyone else is pointing out - other teams' fans would be in uproar.

The most rowdy Reading FC fans have got is a little boo at full time, jeering Blackett for a few minutes and moaning on BBC berks. I've not seen one banner, I've not heard a single "protest" chant.. nothing.

We're just quiet little Reading, quietly sinking into league one obscurity.

Had those sort of protests back at Elm Park. Remember Notts County in 1988/9 (?) and the mass pitch invasion after the Port Vale embarrassment in 1998 followed a week or two later by another demo at *xf*rd after a particularly embarrassing team performance,

Since the Mad Stad there's only been the partly "tongue in cheek" PANTS day but then nothing on the pitch has really been as bad as Bullivant's season - until now. Would have expected some sort of demo from but there's nothing really apart moaning in social media. It seems no-one can be arsed to pitch invade or demo outside the ground after a match to vent their frustration and at least get a showdown with Ron to talk about things.

141 posts