RUMOUR - Steve Bruce

Orion

Re: RUMOUR - Steve Bruce

by Orion » 30 Oct 2018 11:14

Steve Bruce has always done well at similar sized clubs to us where there is no pressure and he has time to build, with not necessarily a massive amount to spend.

At Villa, the pressure was immense and they had a team full of top level championship players to keep happy. Not an easy situation at all with all those egos.

While he wouldn't be first choice, I would see it as a step forward over the shit we've appointed recently.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Oct 2018 12:07

Hound Bruce - wouldn't be completely against. Vastly experienced and you'd expect him to get us out of relegation trouble

And then what?

He's expensive and he won't play our Academy graduates. He could end up costing us as much as relegation.

I've no particular love for Clement - I like the guy, and I don't think the shambles is his fault, but, like Stam, whether it's your fault or not, if you don't know how to fix it, then maybe you should leave for somebody who can.

But Bruce is a costly sticking-plaster, not a repair job.

An example of the kind of manager I'd like is Dundalk's current manager, Stephen Kenny. Yes, he has no experience in this division, but he certainly knows how to get the best out of limited players. And he may be getting to the point where he feels he can't go any further with Dundalk.

Available managers are available for a reason - they've already failed somewhere else. Serial failures. We've already got players who are expecting to lose, surely we don't want a manager who is expecting to be sacked,
Successful managers, but from lower divisions, where the compensation to be paid might not be that high, and who would look at Reading as a massive opportunity, rather than a temporary money-spinner - that's who I'd like to see.

Orion

by Orion » 30 Oct 2018 12:15

Old Man Andrews
Hound Bruce - wouldn't be completely against. Vastly experienced and you'd expect him to get us out of relegation trouble

He isn't a man who'd want to be flirting with relegation every season though. There is nothing to suggest the current crop of players are anything but relegation fodder based on recent showings. He can do better than us.

Isn't the whole point t of a new manager that they'd build a squad that isn't fighting relegation year after year?

He wouldn't come anyway, he wouldn't work with Ron.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2018 12:27

well thats the point really, why I didnt go beyond saying I wouldn't be totally against it as I think he would keep us up. But like Mick McCarthy, I wouldn't be particularly cheerful about the idea either

Mnetioned elsewhere, wishful thinking perhaps, but would keep an eye on Jokanovic's situation at Fulham. That would be one I'd be interested in. The chaps at Lincoln possibly as well, though obviously the big lack of experience would count against them

Actually thought PC had done reasonably well up until about a month ago. I'm not at the point like I was with Stam where I simply couldn't stand seeing him there in the dugout

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Oct 2018 12:33

Hound well thats the point really, why I didnt go beyond saying I wouldn't be totally against it as I think he would keep us up. But like Mick McCarthy, I wouldn't be particularly cheerful about the idea either

Mnetioned elsewhere, wishful thinking perhaps, but would keep an eye on Jokanovic's situation at Fulham. That would be one I'd be interested in. The chaps at Lincoln possibly as well, though obviously the big lack of experience would count against them

Actually thought PC had done reasonably well up until about a month ago. I'm not at the point like I was with Stam where I simply couldn't stand seeing him there in the dugout

The problem with getting an up and coming manager in (low reputation) is that the big time Charlie's we have playing for us now probably wouldn't respect him. I'm at a loss as to who can sort this shower of shit tbh.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2018 12:36

Would very happily have Bruce here.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Oct 2018 12:39

We really don't have that much to lose by getting the Lincoln boys in or someone like Nathan Jones at Luton. If we are going down I would much rather we have a young, hungry manager at the helm ready for the challenge of rebuilding. Both of those managers would trust in youth too which is something I have been wanting for a couple of seasons now.

Thinking outside the box a bit I really like the job Gareth Ainsworth has done at Wycombe. Wouldn't be the most inspiring appointment but fits us long term. It is just a case of what do we want more; short term saving or long term building, which could include having to go down to come back up again. I for one am undecided.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2018 12:44

Old Man Andrews We really don't have that much to lose by getting the Lincoln boys in or someone like Nathan Jones at Luton. If we are going down I would much rather we have a young, hungry manager at the helm ready for the challenge of rebuilding. Both of those managers would trust in youth too which is something I have been wanting for a couple of seasons now.

Thinking outside the box a bit I really like the job Gareth Ainsworth has done at Wycombe. Wouldn't be the most inspiring appointment but fits us long term. It is just a case of what do we want more; short term saving or long term building, which could include having to go down to come back up again. I for one am undecided.

sounds a fairly obvious comment, but the one thing I get from the owners is that they really will not just let us go down. Otherwise they would have stuck with Stam.

I suspect the next appointment if it happens will be one to ensure we stay up, rather than start again in Div1. So much more a Bruce/McCarthy than a Cowley/Jones

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Oct 2018 12:48

Hound
Old Man Andrews We really don't have that much to lose by getting the Lincoln boys in or someone like Nathan Jones at Luton. If we are going down I would much rather we have a young, hungry manager at the helm ready for the challenge of rebuilding. Both of those managers would trust in youth too which is something I have been wanting for a couple of seasons now.

sounds a fairly obvious comment, but the one thing I get from the owners is that they really will not just let us go down. Otherwise they would have stuck with Stam.

I suspect the next appointment if it happens will be one to ensure we stay up, rather than start again in Div1. So much more a Bruce/McCarthy than a Cowley/Jones

Yeah I get that impression too. Think it is far more ideal to think about the long game and have someone at the helm who will nurture the youth etc but I think football has changed drastically in the last 10 years, we probably won't see that sort of manager at the club. Unless we go down of course, that would be the time to do it.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Oct 2018 13:46

muirinho Bruce won't play our Academy graduates.

Does Clement?
About the only grad who starts is Kelly sometimes (and many don't think he should, and say he's not good enough).
Don't beat Bruce with that stick, Shirley? :wink:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Oct 2018 13:52

Denver Royal

Does Clement?
About the only grad who starts is Kelly sometimes (and many don't think he should, and say he's not good enough).
Hard to beat Bruce with that stick, Shirley? :wink:

Not the point, tho, we're talking about who's next up for the managerial hotseat, not who we've got.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Oct 2018 14:18

muirinho
Denver Royal

Does Clement?

Not the point, tho, we're talking about who's next up for the managerial hotseat, not who we've got.

Well, its been discussed before, but the point is, are any grads good enough? SCIAG, etc, are closer to it than me, but usually the opinion is 'no'?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Oct 2018 14:36

Denver Royal
muirinho
Denver Royal Does Clement?

Well, its been discussed before, but the point is, are any grads good enough? SCIAG, etc, are closer to it than me, but usually the opinion is 'no'?

Thing is - with Bruce we'd never know if they were good enough, because he just wouldn't play them.

If they're not being played because they aren't good enough, then fair enough. Judging by Sam Smith at Oxford, he wasn't good enough. But take, say, Rinomhota, he's around the squad, he's getting minutes. Maybe he won't be good enough to push on. But would he even get that with Bruce? Or would he bring in more experience, at great expense, and freeze out the youngsters?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Oct 2018 16:08

muirinho

And then what?

He's expensive and he won't play our Academy graduates. He could end up costing us as much as relegation.

I've no particular love for Clement - I like the guy, and I don't think the shambles is his fault, but, like Stam, whether it's your fault or not, if you don't know how to fix it, then maybe you should leave for somebody who can.

But Bruce is a costly sticking-plaster, not a repair job.

An example of the kind of manager I'd like is Dundalk's current manager, Stephen Kenny. Yes, he has no experience in this division, but he certainly knows how to get the best out of limited players. And he may be getting to the point where he feels he can't go any further with Dundalk.

Available managers are available for a reason - they've already failed somewhere else. Serial failures. We've already got players who are expecting to lose, surely we don't want a manager who is expecting to be sacked,
Successful managers, but from lower divisions, where the compensation to be paid might not be that high, and who would look at Reading as a massive opportunity, rather than a temporary money-spinner - that's who I'd like to see.

I'm in for this, its time for a drastic change of thinking and a brave new way of thinking, take a gamble, it can hardly be any worse than it already is.
We have an amazing bunch of youngsters lighting it up and earning rave reviews yet these guys who have that winning mentality can't get anywhere close to the first team who are playing dross, boring football with zero confidence!!
Aluko is on $25k a week whereas an academy player would be on $1k at best!!
Its a no brainer for me lol.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 30 Oct 2018 17:37

Crowbar6753 Aluko is on $25k a week whereas an academy player would be on $1k at best!!

$25k, that would be £19.6k a week (assuming you're talking US$). And under £800 a week for the academy players. :wink:

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Oct 2018 17:41

East Grinstead Royal
Crowbar6753 Aluko is on $25k a week whereas an academy player would be on $1k at best!!

$25k, that would be £19.6k a week (assuming you're talking US$). And under £800 a week for the academy players. :wink:

My bad, i don't have a Pound Sterling button on my computer lol (Live across the pond) however it sounds much better either way lol.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Oct 2018 17:44

And whilst we are on the subject of hungry young up and coming managers! Bournemouth FC's current model ain't doing to bad with a young manager!! And i guess thats why the DOF is there to assist when needed.

And gates of 11,000 per home game :shock:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Oct 2018 21:56

Denver Royal

Does Clement?
Don't beat Bruce with that stick, Shirley? :wink:

Too much of a gulf from the "graduates" to Championship football.

Graduates is our future though. Go down to rebuild. Come back stronger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2018 09:01

its a tough one with the grads

From my limited viewing of them, and based on a small sample I would say only the following could make the step up currently:

Loader - he really is pretty good. Shame he isnt in the first team squad
Howe - looked a very tidy and attacking full back

There are a few who look like they have potential but a little way off - such as Barratt, House and Medford-Smith

Other than Loader, and maybe Southwood/Ward, its difficult to argue for any more to be involved imo. Its quite hard to beat the manager with that stick if they really aren't ready

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Oct 2018 12:39

Crowbar6753 an academy player would be on $1k at best!!.

What decade are you living in crowbar? :lol: