Gomes is now 1st choice!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes is now 1st choice!

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 16:05

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Well, that would rule out most managers we've appointed in the past 35 years.

It wouldn't rule out Rodgers, Coppell, Pardew, McDermott, Clarke, Stam, Gooding, Quinn, McGhee, Bullivant or Clement - because they've all managed in the Championship (or equiv) with us. In fact the only one it would rule out from the last 25 years is Burns. And he's dead anyway.

Not that any of them would be a good and available appointment right now. Except Clement, or very very maybe Pardew.

But at the time we appointed them many didn't have management experience. When we have appointed somebody with championship experience it hasn't gone specifically better than when we didn't.

And at the time our situation was utterly different, hence why I said "Mainly at this point in time." Which FDTW chose to snip so he could argue against a point I didn't actually make. And you then followed suit.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Dec 2018 16:35

Well, you've completely missed my point Ian which is that since we have established ourselves as a Tier 2 club, we have very rarely appointed anyone with significant experience and when we have, it has generally been when we have been in a stronger position to pick and chose our appointments. We seem to be a club that has taken a chance on progressive appointments in the hope of finding a competative advantage and that seems to be the way the owners want to continue.

You seem to suggest we should be picking a manager with experience, particularly in the Championship which would seem to point to Jokanovic, who isn't interested or Parkinson who would, IMO, could keep us up but I just don't see how much further he could take us. Unless you want us to continue giving someone a leg back up onto the merrygoround.

Personally I don't give a toss who they appoint, I just hope they have a PhD in Turd Polishing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 21:00

From Despair To Where? Well, you've completely missed my point Ian which is that since we have established ourselves as a Tier 2 club, we have very rarely appointed anyone with significant experience and when we have, it has generally been when we have been in a stronger position to pick and chose our appointments. We seem to be a club that has taken a chance on progressive appointments in the hope of finding a competative advantage and that seems to be the way the owners want to continue.

You seem to suggest we should be picking a manager with experience, particularly in the Championship which would seem to point to Jokanovic, who isn't interested or Parkinson who would, IMO, could keep us up but I just don't see how much further he could take us. Unless you want us to continue giving someone a leg back up onto the merrygoround.

Personally I don't give a toss who they appoint, I just hope they have a PhD in Turd Polishing.

I don't think you have a point, because you're talking about something that has no relevance to what I said.

I think Parky's as capable of keeping us up and getting us stable in mid-table as most reasonable options. We're no where near the top or promotion, so given the typical life of a manager, there's no point in appointing with it in mind. The next guy will be long gone, or very long lasting before we're back up at that level regularly.

If you're not going to give a progressive inexperienced appointment time, there's no point making one anyway.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 14:02

Snowflake Royal We're no where near the top or promotion, so given the typical life of a manager, there's no point in appointing with it in mind. The next guy will be long gone, or very long lasting before we're back up at that level regularly.

If you're not going to give a progressive inexperienced appointment time, there's no point making one anyway.

I disagree with this part - the Championship is so wide open that with the right appointment this week, stability for the remainder of the season, along with good January and summer recruitment, there's every chance we could be promotion contenders next season.

Huddersfield would be a prime example of this in recent years as they flirted with relegation before Wagner came and transformed them. It is possible.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Dec 2018 14:07

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Well, you've completely missed my point Ian which is that since we have established ourselves as a Tier 2 club, we have very rarely appointed anyone with significant experience and when we have, it has generally been when we have been in a stronger position to pick and chose our appointments. We seem to be a club that has taken a chance on progressive appointments in the hope of finding a competative advantage and that seems to be the way the owners want to continue.

I don't think you have a point, because you're talking about something that has no relevance to what I said.

I think Parky's as capable of keeping us up and getting us stable in mid-table as most reasonable options. We're no where near the top or promotion, so given the typical life of a manager, there's no point in appointing with it in mind. The next guy will be long gone, or very long lasting before we're back up at that level regularly.

So you're both making points that neither of you want to discuss?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Dec 2018 15:23

leon
Snowflake Royal

So you're both making points that neither of you want to discuss?

Standard.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 17 Dec 2018 15:32

Personally, I'd prefer Abel Ferreira from the Portuguese league!

However, I'd be chasing Jokanovic; If neither, I'd stick with Marshall.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 16:00

PistolPete Personally, I'd prefer Abel Ferreira from the Portuguese league!

However, I'd be chasing Jokanovic; If neither, I'd stick with Marshall.

Under no circumstances should we be doing that

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 16:24

Skysports today:

Reading in talks with Rio Ave over manager Jose Gomes

"Talks are continuing between Reading and Portuguese side Rio Ave, as the Championship club try to tempt highly-rated coach Jose Gomes to the Madejski Stadium.

Speaking after Rio Ave's 2-2 draw on Sunday with Belenenses, Gomes admitted that Reading had made contact with his current club, who are sitting seventh in the Primeira Liga table.

However, Sky Sports News understands talks are still some way from being concluded, 11 days after Paul Clement was sacked less than nine months after his appointment.

Gomes told reporters: "The interest (from Reading) is true, but the contact they had with me did not go any further than that.

"I've been out of the country for several years, and Rio Ave welcomed me with open arms and trusted my services.

"Almost all coaches want to experience the English football environment, and I do not run away from it, but I would never turn my back on anyone who trusted me.

"(It is) a decision that is very difficult to take."

The 48-year old is fluent in English and has previously enjoyed success managing in Spain, Greece, Hungary and Saudi Arabia.

Reading have endured a tough season in the Championship so far and are only outside the relegation zone on goal difference after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Rotherham".

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Dec 2018 17:45

Thought this was going to be about Heurelho Gomes :(

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Dec 2018 20:05

Old Man Andrews
strap Is this another of the Iranian spiv's oxf*rd "clients"?? Get him the oxf*rd OUT OF OUR CLUB!!!!

What has his nationality got to do with anything? Wrong sort for you is he?
What is incorrect about my comment? Is he not Iranian? Is he not a spiv? What has his nationality not got to do anything? Trying to find prejudice in every comment when none is there is not an attractive trait.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 20:16

strap
Old Man Andrews
strap Is this another of the Iranian spiv's oxf*rd "clients"?? Get him the oxf*rd OUT OF OUR CLUB!!!!

What is incorrect about my comment? Is he not Iranian? Is he not a spiv? What has his nationality not got to do anything? Trying to find prejudice in every comment when none is there is not an attractive trait.

Just interesting you'd use someone's nationality when it wasn't necessary and in a negative context. You are on a real hot streak of awful posts so feel free to just carry on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2018 20:51

strap
Old Man Andrews

Don't try to pretend you aren't using it as a pejorative. No need to reference nationality at all to be insulting about Joorabchian.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Dec 2018 22:03

I'd give strap the benefit of the doubt if he didn't have previous.

Can we all at least agree that Jorabchian is precisely the sort of influence we don't need in the boardroom.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2018 22:59

From Despair To Where? I'd give strap the benefit of the doubt if he didn't have previous.

Can we all at least agree that Jorabchian is precisely the sort of influence we don't need in the boardroom.

Yes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Dec 2018 08:06

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? I'd give strap the benefit of the doubt if he didn't have previous.

Yes.

Yeah I think that is a far better way to say it. Race or nationality do not come into it even remotely.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Dec 2018 11:26

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal

Yes.

Yeah I think that is a far better way to say it. Race or nationality do not come into it even remotely.

Think we can all agree he's a dodgy oxf*rd. His nationality is neither here nor there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Dec 2018 11:28

Mourinho's free....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Dec 2018 11:51

Sutekh Mourinho's free....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Dec 2018 17:11

I am still waiting for proof that Jorabchian has any involvement with the club.

All I have seen so far is people putting 2 and 2 together and not getting a whole lot other than idle speculation...