Is Kelly off?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Is Kelly off?

by Hound » 22 Jan 2019 21:40

We need to start offloading somebody

The Gomes squad trimming has actually increased our squad size so far :)

Hopefully we can bin the transfer listed players sooner rather than later

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2019 22:09

Hound We need to start offloading somebody

Yeah the failed squad trimming does seem to make a mockery of getting both Baker and Ejaria, although I realise he's played Ejaria more wide (I think).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jan 2019 22:41

3 loan players in.

Popa, Clement, Edwards gone

Another 4 (?) not training with the first team.

Presumably Gomes’ aim was to work with a leaner squad without players who had no chance of actually playing. He’s certainly achieved that.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jan 2019 02:23

Nameless 3 loan players in.
Popa, Clement, Edwards gone
Another 4 (?) not training with the first team.
Presumably Gomes’ aim was to work with a leaner squad without players who had no chance of actually playing. He’s certainly achieved that.

Yep, assuming it falls in Gomes' lap, who just landed, to wave a wand, negotiate/arrange deals, and dispose of half the squad (who we ourselves objectively identified beforehand as being very difficult for anyone to get rid).
We haven't bought anyone, yet a couple of loans later, 'he has no excuses'. No shock there.
Respect your posts, classy and mature.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 09:43

Snowflake Royal

Yeah the failed squad trimming does seem to make a mockery of getting both Baker and Ejaria, although I realise he's played Ejaria more wide (I think).

Cant hang around when getting players in, waiting for not involved players to leave, in our situation. I am sure it is still an active pursuit to move the other players on, it just hasn't happened yet/teams don't want our players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2019 10:42

Indeed - my comment wasn’t a criticism as such, more just a comment on what needs to happen

We’ve got the people in, now have to work double hard to start shifting some of the wage bill - I’m sure that is in progress and also likely that 2 or 3 will prob leave on the last day of the window

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2019 11:03

Hound Indeed - my comment wasn’t a criticism as such, more just a comment on what needs to happen

We’ve got the people in, now have to work double hard to start shifting some of the wage bill - I’m sure that is in progress and also likely that 2 or 3 will prob leave on the last day of the window

Agreed, think we will see players who are definitely not going to be involved move between now and the 31st. One or two may even be paid up.

One thing I would hope in these incomings is that given all the talk about respecting FFP that we are still on the right side of that with these loans even if we can't shift the unwanted players.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jan 2019 14:47

Liam has been told he can leave on loan this window.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Jan 2019 16:55

Sutekh Liam has been told he can leave on loan this window.

Seems a tad odd to me as with Edwards gone and Meyler out of the picture and the Iranian guy still crocked a couple more injuries could leave us with very few options in midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2019 18:55

andrew1957

Seems a tad odd to me as with Edwards gone and Meyler out of the picture and the Iranian guy still crocked a couple more injuries could leave us with very few options in midfield.

Yep. Think he's had a hard time from the fans and his teammates.

He's not been great, but I've rarely seen him have a particularly poor game despite what the loanees might say. Certainly nowhere near as bas as some of shi(f)ts Swift, Bacuna and Meyler have put in. Although in fairness Swift and Bacuna have probably hit some better heights.

I thought he was excellent against Utd and hard done by not to get another game afterwards. The difference in his performance having a genuinely good partner in Rino alongside him was marked.

Only question marks for me are his size - he can't carry the ball forward very quickly, and his mental side given he thought we were never in danger last season.

At least a loan is better for him and us than him being ignored or sold.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jan 2019 21:02

Snowflake Royal
I thought he was excellent against Utd

Didn't have Pogba to mark on the day. :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jan 2019 21:18

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957

He's not been great, but I've rarely seen him have a particularly poor game despite what the loanees might say. Certainly nowhere near as bas as some of shi(f)ts Swift, Bacuna and Meyler have put in. Although in fairness Swift and Bacuna have probably hit some better heights.

I thought he was excellent against Utd and hard done by not to get another game afterwards. The difference in his performance having a genuinely good partner in Rino alongside him was marked.

Only question marks for me are his size - he can't carry the ball forward very quickly, and his mental side given he thought we were never in danger last season.

I’ve never rated him but actually felt he was improving earlier this season and working really hard to chase down and put some tackles in. A bit unlucky to be dropped. His size is a problem and as we both know if he is in the same midfield as Swift then we are simply too lightweight.

A loan to a League One seems about right for now. Keep him on the books and see if he can challenge for a starting place next season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2019 23:55

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957

He should be both ignored and sold Ian. Predictable you'd be front and centre being Liam Kelly's cheerleader.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2019 08:44

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957

I'm not sure if that was planned as a strong defence of him and a reason to keep him but if boils down to, he hasn't been as shit at time as some other players - who have also shown they can play better - then getting him out of the club for a while is probably best for all concerned.

He is a good player but a lot of the time he is too slow with his decision making, if we are looking to play a dynamic passing game pushing the ball up the pitch quickly, then he simply doesn't fit and it would seem Gomes has seen that but may also see that he could fit. No player involved in the last 2 years is irreplaceable regardless of if we bought him or he came through the ranks. Kelly is no different and some time away may improve him so that he is either brought back in or sold for a relatively decent fee in the summer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2019 09:23

Rumour circulating that Udinese want him on loan....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ly-on-loan

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2019 09:48

Sutekh Rumour circulating that Udinese want him on loan....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ly-on-loan

Would be an excellent opportunity for him, would be a real test of ability in Serie A.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2019 09:50

He is a League 1 or 2 player. Cannot believe anyone at Udinese is considering bringing him in, laughable really.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jan 2019 09:54

Old Man Andrews He is a League 1 or 2 player. Cannot believe anyone at Udinese is considering bringing him in, laughable really.

Kelly always seems to play well against better sides (see United) - maybe it's the Championship he's not suited for. Italian leagues are a lot slower so maybe he will do better than you think.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2019 10:02

I'll be happy to be wrong if he is successful out there. Just can't see him getting game time or being good enough to play in a top European league against the likes of Pjanic, Dybala, Matuidi etc.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jan 2019 10:05

Old Man Andrews I'll be happy to be wrong if he is successful out there. Just can't see him getting game time or being good enough to play in a top European league against the likes of Pjanic, Dybala, Matuidi etc.

According to J-Lo's article, Udinese had scouts over to watch him in the United game. He was very impressive that day, so maybe it was a bit of a shop window performance...