SPECULATION - Danny Williams

106 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

SPECULATION - Danny Williams

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Mar 2019 14:57

His contract is up this summer.. would you take him back?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Danny Williams

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2019 15:39

No thanks.

A good player that doesn't combine with others to be better than the sum of their parts. Too prone to go head down and run into a cul de sac. Doesn't fit the passing philosophy of Gomes.

Plus he's now 30 and entering the end stages of his career. He'll want to maximise income and is coming out of an expensive PL contract.

We need to cut spending and build for the future. I don't see how Williams helps us with those things.

Saying that he was better than anyone we currently have except maybe Rino or Eza.

Going back rarely works.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Mar 2019 17:57

Snowflake Royal No thanks.

A good player that doesn't combine with others to be better than the sum of their parts. Too prone to go head down and run into a cul de sac. Doesn't fit the passing philosophy of Gomes.

Plus he's now 30 and entering the end stages of his career. He'll want to maximise income and is coming out of an expensive PL contract.

We need to cut spending and build for the future. I don't see how Williams helps us with those things.

Saying that he was better than anyone we currently have except maybe Rino or Eza.

Going back rarely works.

I think I agree with every point you made but so many on here seem rate him very, very highly still so thought it was worth the question.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Mar 2019 18:12

Would have him back in a heartbeat but Ian’s point about wages is a fair one because we are going to be limited in spending power this summer.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Danny Williams

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Mar 2019 19:16

Too injury prone; only stayed fit in last season out of four and done nothing at Huddersfield mainly due to injury.

As also said would also have to pay top money, as we did last time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2019 19:16

He's made of glass.

He's been playing Premier League football for two years.

He's better than us.

We can't afford him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Mar 2019 20:20

Old Man Andrews He's made of glass.

He's better than us.

We can't afford him.

Is that new chant? What's it to the tune of?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2019 20:23

NewCorkSeth

He's better than us.

We can't afford him.

Is that new chant? What's it to the tune of?

Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2019 20:27

NewCorkSeth

Going back rarely works.

I think I agree with every point you made but so many on here seem rate him very, very highly still so thought it was worth the question.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... see every player who hasn't played for a while will be our saviour.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Mar 2019 23:26

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Going back rarely works.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... see every player who hasn't played for a while will be our saviour.

I don’t see him as our saviour but I do feel he is better than we currently have.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 23 Mar 2019 23:53

Zip I don’t see him as our saviour but I do feel he is better than we currently have.

Fukkin 'ell Sean Evers would be better than we currently have!

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 24 Mar 2019 02:19

No. Was he really that good?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 24 Mar 2019 03:17

Many Nobbers expressed the view that our side went downhill when Al Habsi and Williams left us after the 2016/17 season. We appear to have found a good replacement for Al Habsi although Martinez is only here on loan. What Williams brought to the team was energy and purpose, attributes that we still sorely miss now. He wasn't afraid to run at a defence at pace. Having said that I agree that bringing ex players back seldom works and he would be too expensive anyway!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Mar 2019 11:03

If Rinomhota hadn't shown he can be a high energy central midfielder who can drive the team forward then I'd have Williams back.

Don't think he was appreciated enough when he was here.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Mar 2019 16:36

He's better than us.

We can't afford him.

I'd use the term "playing" loosely, even when fit, he was barely featuring

Incredibly frustrating player, but underappreciated at times

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Mar 2019 16:38

Zip
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I think I agree with every point you made but so many on here seem rate him very, very highly still so thought it was worth the question.

I don’t see him as our saviour but I do feel he is better than we currently have.

Remember he was a regular in the team when we were languishing around 19th place as well, Williams and Rinomhota are too similar to be in the same midfield, and Rinomhota is a better player. Taking into account Williams is now injury prone, taking him back is probably daft, especially with the wages he's probably sitting on

One87One

by One87One » 24 Mar 2019 18:53

NewCorkSeth His contract is up this summer.. would you take him back?

Nope.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 25 Mar 2019 03:14

He really had genuine affection for the club. His reaction to the play off defeat showed how much he cared. And I believe he has been back a few times. A fully fit Danny Williams would be an asset to any team, but it won’t be us.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 25 Mar 2019 06:58

percy_freeman No. Was he really that good?

He was only good in the final stages of his contracts.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 25 Mar 2019 08:59

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

A decent midfield of Swift, Williams and a defensive midfielder would be pretty solid.

106 posts