Rumour - Danny Loader

168 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Danny Loader

by Simon's Church » 18 May 2019 12:48

Not sure who wins if this transfer happens. Loader was starting to find his feet towards the end of the season and will likely get 20+ starts next year with us, to replace that we'd probably need someone on much higher wages and a decent transfer fee. I can't see him starting more than a couple of games at wolves and would they really want to spend £8m+ on someone for their u23s?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 18 May 2019 13:18

Simon's Church and would they really want to spend £8m+ on someone for their u23s?

Brighton spent £7m in Jan on Argentinos Juniors midfielder Alexis Mac Allister (20y/o) ... and loaned him straight back to Argentinos Juniors, so it's not unheard of for Prem clubs/money to do so.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 18 May 2019 13:29

Royal Rother Even the idea of letting Loader go is madness to me unless we were to go bust if we didn’t.

These are the players we should be building the future of the club around.

Sick of seeing our unfinished article Academy players leave and become player of the season somewhere else, albeit at lower leagues. We spend 10 years developing them and then let them go elsewhere when they don’t immediately set the world alight when given early chances here.

It takes time for youngsters to become accustomed to 1st team football at whatever level. Some longer than others but at low wages they are worth persisting with. Some might say that the phrase above “albeit at lower leagues” is the key here but offloading / cashing in too early and signing more experienced players from the same lower leagues or unfinished articles from other clubs’ academies does not sit well with me.

Absolutely i think he we have a star on our hands keep playing the youngsters

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2019 13:59

Victor Meldrew
Hound You know 2m rates him as half way between Dave Edwards and Leandro Bacuna?

And just a bit less than Spurs paid MK Dons for Delle Ali.
As I said in my post, if he makes it big we get loads more money, if he doesn't progress we have had £2 million.
Edwards and Bacuna are not players that we will ever get any more money for so aren't great examples.

All I can say is thank God you aren’t in charge of the transfers there!

Why isn’t Bacuna a good example? It’s an ideal example

Dele had only ever played in Div1 and went for 5m. That was a massive amount. Div1 is streets behind the champ

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2019 14:16

Sky sources: Bournemouth have agreed a £13m fee with Bristol City for Lloyd Kelly.

The 20-year-old defender has made 34 appearances for the Sky Bet Championship club in the 18/19 season.

^^^new reference figure^^^

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2019 16:31

Simon's Church Not sure who wins if this transfer happens. Loader was starting to find his feet towards the end of the season and will likely get 20+ starts next year with us, to replace that we'd probably need someone on much higher wages and a decent transfer fee. I can't see him starting more than a couple of games at wolves and would they really want to spend £8m+ on someone for their u23s?

Would we?

Novakovich is available so wouldn't cost a fee or be on high wages. He could play upfront. Olise impressed and could play in the hole, no fee -low wages.

No one wants to sell Loader, but we need to boost our income and if someone is prepared to pay 5/6/7/8 million for someone who was a bit part player and lacking in end product then we can certainly put that to good use.

No one is going to pay us that money for Meyler, McCleary, Gunter, Aluko, Mannone etc... the ones we actually want to move on.

If we can get it for Swift I'd prefer it, but I'd rather keep Barrow or Moore and sell Loader if those are the options if I'm honest. They're more crucial to the first team currently.

We need to cut costs and fund signings. Something has to give.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 May 2019 17:48

Don't know if I've missed it but when does Loader's contract run out?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 May 2019 18:15

Crowbar6753 Loader is clearly going to be a star.

As a striker, in the Premier League? Well, he might, but at this point not sure I'd say he 'clearly' will.
The odds are against it and many more fail than succeed, esp at that level, and with all the overseas players competing there as well.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 May 2019 16:12

Denver Royal
Crowbar6753 Loader is clearly going to be a star.

As a striker, in the Premier League? Well, he might, but at this point not sure I'd say he 'clearly' will.
The odds are against it and many more fail than succeed, esp at that level, and with all the overseas players competing there as well.

That's why I suggested something that hound can't get his head round.
A deal with a payment up-front of say £2 million but with add-ons based on appearances, caps and future transfers.
We get some dough up front (which hopefully would not be wasted) and if the boy comes good we get more money.
If he doesn't progress (as happens so often) we have had a decent chunk of money.

It all seems quite logical to me concerning a player who probably won't be a starter for us next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2019 16:30

I can get my head round the fact its an awful idea

we need cash now, not in 3 years time when he has made 50 appearances

2 million barely scratches the surface of what we need now, and he probably isn't on a great wage, so no real saving there

Some bloke from Brizzle has just gone for 13m quid, and I don't think they even thought he was that good. He was 2 years older than Loader, with a similar number of appearances

James from Swansea, who granted has had more of an impact, is about to go for 15m, after a similar number of appearances. He is 3 years older. Even last year, at the age of 20, he couldn't get a game for Shrewsbury

Jacob Murphy left Norwich last year for 12m. He was 23 and had one half decent season for Norwich, and one in Div 1 for Coventry

Dominic Solanke, who barely played a game for Liverpool, went for 19m based almost solely on his England age group appearances.

Loader has been capped and scored goals at every England age group so far. He is widely known as one of the better prospects in the game. He has just won goal of the season with an example of the ability he has.

He has been in our first team most of 2019. Why wouldn't he be starting in August?

Oh, and Wolves are absolutely minted. They earned something like 120m from last season.

Do I need to go on?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2019 16:40

Agree £2m is stupid low. I'd be shooting £5m - £10m plus Vic's instalments.

The English youth International multiplier seems to have been forgotten by some.

But I don't buy the £10m - £20m upfront argument either.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 May 2019 17:30

Where has 2 million come from? That would be one of the most embarrassing sales in Reading's history if that happened. Especially when you look at all the other transfer fee's for young English players. I'd have believed that transfer free 15 years ago...not in 2019.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2019 17:41

Snowflake Royal Agree £2m is stupid low. I'd be shooting £5m - £10m plus Vic's instalments.

The English youth International multiplier seems to have been forgotten by some.

But I don't buy the £10m - £20m upfront argument either.

He is worth what someone is willing to pay. Was Murphy worth 12m? Solanke 19m?

They’d only be interested in him if they think he has the ability to make the grade or else wouldn’t bother. And the average Prem player is 10m or so nowadays

If it gets to 1st August I reckon we’d buckle and take 5-7m if we haven’t sold anyone else. It’ll nearly all be upfront though. No point otherwise.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 21 May 2019 20:18

£2m for him would be ridiculous, 5 times that should be the starting point.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 May 2019 20:34

Hound I can get my head round the fact its an awful idea

2 million barely scratches the surface of what we need now, and he probably isn't on a great wage, so no real saving there

Some bloke from Brizzle has just gone for 13m quid, and I don't think they even thought he was that good. He was 2 years older than Loader, with a similar number of appearances

James from Swansea, who granted has had more of an impact, is about to go for 15m, after a similar number of appearances. He is 3 years older. Even last year, at the age of 20, he couldn't get a game for Shrewsbury

Jacob Murphy left Norwich last year for 12m. He was 23 and had one half decent season for Norwich, and one in Div 1 for Coventry

Dominic Solanke, who barely played a game for Liverpool, went for 19m based almost solely on his England age group appearances.

Loader has been capped and scored goals at every England age group so far. He is widely known as one of the better prospects in the game. He has just won goal of the season with an example of the ability he has.

He has been in our first team most of 2019. Why wouldn't he be starting in August?

Oh, and Wolves are absolutely minted. They earned something like 120m from last season.

Do I need to go on?

Agreed. Loader’s apparent pedigree and potential is what Wolves are investing in. Young English players also come at a premium. If Wolves want him let them pay for him. That means a very hefty transfer fee of around £10 million with add ons including a share of any future transfer fee.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 21 May 2019 22:14

Loader is clearly work in progress, but this guy has scored goals at every level he's played in so far, including on the International scene. I mentioned in a previous post, regarding the goal he scored against Boro, his positioning and movement to get himself away from the defender and have the confidence to pick out the top right corner and to have the ability to it pull clearly shows what a talent this guy can become. And lets not forget he hadn't scored up until then, but still had the confidence and sheer audacity to give it a go. That"s pretty impressive.
Its imperative that we keep this guy another season at least. If he works hard, gets the right service and is managed correctly by Jose (Which shouldn't be an issue) then if this guy can have a breakout season then we really could start asking some big bucks in the near future.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 22 May 2019 08:19

Zip
Hound I can get my head round the fact its an awful idea

Do I need to go on?

Agreed. Loader’s apparent pedigree and potential is what Wolves are investing in. Young English players also come at a premium. If Wolves want him let them pay for him. That means a very hefty transfer fee of around £10 million with add ons including a share of any future transfer fee.

It's not just "young English" but very specifically that World Cup Winning Youth squad. Clubs home and abroad will have been monitoring the vast majority of that squad and will be more than willing to take a punt while they're still in their teens.

Loader's value is commensurate with that and as such he's currently the most valuable asset we have from a sell on perspective.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 May 2019 11:19

Every player has their price.

If we were top of the table with a decent squad and cash rich then that selling price would be higher than where we find ourselves now desperate for cash to strengthen the squad and avoid relegation next season.

There is no point keeping Loader as one for the future if that future is in League 1, sell now and invest in Olivera and/or other players who can make a bigger difference next season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 May 2019 12:22

Not that it means much but the Transfer Market website has him valued at £450,000 and they are aware of course that he has played for England Youth.
I would love the boy to become a super star with us but we are a selling club and he is a commodity.
Just because Wolves are rumoured to be interested (Gomes is mates with the Wolves manager, Reading are known to need money so 2 +2 means a big money transfer) doesn't mean that they, or any club, are going to gamble many millions.

Hound has quoted a couple of big money examples but for every success there have been countless more failures and a book has recently come out about the next big things that didn't become the next big thing-there have been plenty of them.

The club will do what it has to do to raise money but I would be hoping that we do our best to hang on to Rino who really does look to be a real prospect whereas , from what I have seen so far, Danny has quite some way to go even to get a regular place when all of our strikers are fit.
Remember Nathan Tyson scoring those 2 fantastic goals for England's youth team,

I will be glad when things settle down and speculation about Meite, Rino, Loader etc ends.
BTW my season ticket renewal gives our impoverished club a bit of money up front.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2019 14:05

Crowbar6753 Loader is clearly work in progress, but this guy has scored goals at every level he's played in so far, including on the International scene.

Technically that's not true.

He's made 21 Championship appearances and scored 1 goal. He's scored goals at every level except Championship, which really is the important level. :wink:

168 posts