Jack Stacey

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jack Stacey

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2019 20:50

SCIAG
Broxroyal Stam and his staff moved on Stacey, Fosu, Tanner and Jules because they felt they wouldn't make it at our level. All of them were under contract and could have stayed but accepted that it was better to move on.
You could reasonably argue that the club got three right and one wrong.
In Stacey's case he returned from loan at Exeter hoping to push for a place at right back, having previously been a right winger, but found that the club had accepted an offer for him. He had a long think about what to do, as he had been at Reading since he was a kid, and decided to make the move. He did not agitate for a move.

Fosu should have been kept over Harriott

Stacey should have been kept over Popa and Aluko (could also make the case for him filling Bacuna's role).

Tanner should have been kept over Clement.

Jules needed to be moved on.

Despite Tevreden's remarks we've replaced an awful lot of promising players with bench-warming mediocrities.

This is it really isn't it.

At the point we had one right back, we released Keown, who could play RB, Stacey, who could play RB, sent on loan then released Dickie, who could play RB and released Hyam might have been worth trying at RB. We did at least have Tennai Watson, but wasn't he long term injured, or was that later in the season?

And who played RB half the season? Our marquee central midfield replacement for Williams.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2019 22:00

Looks like Dickie is doing pretty well in Div1. Pleased to see Jules rebuilding his career at Macc after a pretty horrific injury from the sound of it as well

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jul 2019 23:09

While I rated Dickie, this is definitely hindsight speaking... I think he'd have been a better partner for Moore than Ilori was. If Hyam had still been around then we would have been in a position to sell Moore last summer and compete for upgrades in other positions rather than scraping the barrel.

Then we just need to give Kuhl some bionic legs and a great psychologist and we'd probably have won the Champions League by now.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jul 2019 01:33

Fosu being kept over Harriottis presumably on the basis that Fosu wouldn’t get a freak injury in an abandoned game that would keep him out for 2 years and ruin his career with us ?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jul 2019 07:35

Nameless Fosu being kept over Harriottis presumably on the basis that Fosu wouldn’t get a freak injury in an abandoned game that would keep him out for 2 years and ruin his career with us ?

Not sure I agree fully with the point you’re making, Harriott was rarely used even before his injury so not convinced it ruined his career with us

Was Harriott sufficiently better than Fosu to warrant a 500k signing and presumably higher wages. I’m not sure. Although saying all that, Fosu was greedy which would have infuriated a number of people

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 08:21

URZZZZ
Nameless Fosu being kept over Harriottis presumably on the basis that Fosu wouldn’t get a freak injury in an abandoned game that would keep him out for 2 years and ruin his career with us ?

Not sure I agree fully with the point you’re making, Harriott was rarely used even before his injury so not convinced it ruined his career with us

Was Harriott sufficiently better than Fosu to warrant a 500k signing and presumably higher wages. I’m not sure. Although saying all that, Fosu was greedy which would have infuriated a number of people

Fosu going never really bothered me because despite his obvious talent I didn't think he had the work rate and application to make it.

It's certainly a fair point to argue that replacing a home grown, free and cheap young talent with a more unknown quantity cherish youngish promising talent seems to defeat the point of having the Academy in the first place.

But in this case I'd happily accept the argument that the club rated Fosu as a busted flush and Harriott better.

I don't agree with that on Dickie, Hyam or Stacey though. And two of those at least seem to be doing pretty well for that 20/20 hindsight.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 08:49

Harriott was about 50k rather than 500k wasn't he?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jul 2019 08:55

It could have been. I always thought it was 500k for some reason but could be wrong. I just wouldn’t have thought Charlton (at the time who had just been relegated) would sell one of their better players for such a low amount

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jul 2019 09:36

Says undisclosed on wiki, always helpful.