Will Gomes stay?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Will Gomes stay?

by Zip » 15 Jul 2019 23:34

I just hope the fans don’t get on Gomes back and remember that he hasn’t spent a penny in the transfer market to date.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Jul 2019 08:00

We aren't going to blood 10 or 11 youngsters at the same time though are we. Assuming we don't sign anyone else before the opening day (and that looks like a good bet at the moment) then our opening 11 is likely to be:

Walker/Virginia

Yiadom
Moore (c)
McIntyre
Blackett

Rinohmota
Swift
Olise

Barrow
Meite
Loader

Bench is anybody's guess but we have plenty of other Academy graduates who can come on and do something or step in if needed.

Defence looks decent to me - midfield has talent, Rinohmota can shield the defence and let Swift/Olise attack a bit more and then pace and power up top to scare the opposition.

Now would I want additional players? yes (as does the manager understandably) but as said elsewhere McIntyre and Olise are ready but we may be a little lightweight defensively.

Will that team challenge, of course not, could it do Ok? Yes with confidence and a positive atmosphere around the club I can see that side keeping us away from relegation comfortably,

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Jul 2019 08:11

Stranded We aren't going to blood 10 or 11 youngsters at the same time though are we. Assuming we don't sign anyone else before the opening day (and that looks like a good bet at the moment) then our opening 11 is likely to be:

Walker/Virginia

Yiadom
Moore (c)
McIntyre
Blackett

Rinohmota
Swift
Olise

Barrow
Meite
Loader

Bench is anybody's guess but we have plenty of other Academy graduates who can come on and do something or step in if needed.

Defence looks decent to me - midfield has talent, Rinohmota can shield the defence and let Swift/Olise attack a bit more and then pace and power up top to scare the opposition.

Now would I want additional players? yes (as does the manager understandably) but as said elsewhere McIntyre and Olise are ready but we may be a little lightweight defensively.

Will that team challenge, of course not, could it do Ok? Yes with confidence and a positive atmosphere around the club I can see that side keeping us away from relegation comfortably,

Think that team would definitely struggle especially in midfield. What happens when a couple of players get injured? Our only hope of survival is we get in at least another striker a centre back and a midfielder but that seems unlikely

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 16 Jul 2019 08:21

YES
Look , if we have a decent season , that's a big boost to his CV. No one told him "you'll have 50 million budget" when he joined did they?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Jul 2019 08:32

paddy20
Stranded We aren't going to blood 10 or 11 youngsters at the same time though are we. Assuming we don't sign anyone else before the opening day (and that looks like a good bet at the moment) then our opening 11 is likely to be:

Walker/Virginia

Yiadom
Moore (c)
McIntyre
Blackett

Rinohmota
Swift
Olise

Barrow
Meite
Loader

Think that team would definitely struggle especially in midfield. What happens when a couple of players get injured? Our only hope of survival is we get in at least another striker a centre back and a midfielder but that seems unlikely

That isn't our "only hope" there is more than one way to skin a cat. If players get injured, yes we will be calling on Academy players or if still here you may see a Gunter or a Baldock brought back in.

I don't think anyone would disagree that we ideally need 3 or 4 more players to bolster or improve that starting 11 but in my mind, with a good start that team good have an OK season (i.e. 16th or so). Of course, if we start badly then all bets could be off.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2019 08:53

Stranded
paddy20

Walker/Virginia

Yiadom
Moore (c)
McIntyre
Blackett

Rinohmota
Swift
Olise

Barrow
Meite
Loader

That isn't our "only hope" there is more than one way to skin a cat. If players get injured, yes we will be calling on Academy players or if still here you may see a Gunter or a Baldock brought back in.

I don't think anyone would disagree that we ideally need 3 or 4 more players to bolster or improve that starting 11 but in my mind, with a good start that team good have an OK season (i.e. 16th or so). Of course, if we start badly then all bets could be off.

Agree Stranded, there is a basis of a decent side there

A frustration would be how much better it would look if you slotted in a strong CB. CM and CF into that team

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 16 Jul 2019 09:09

Nameless
Maneki Neko
andrew1957
If he has any sense he would see how the season unfolds. I calculate that we have 11 Academy players who could break through this season and so that is the big hope IMO. If even 6 of these play 10 or more games that will fill a lot of gaps.

that seems a recipe for disaster to me.
fine to bring them through, and ease them in etc, but preferably not all in one go when you have no other choice

Isn't that what we have done ?
Rino, Loader, Olise, Richards, Watson have got decent experience in the last 12 months (Olise less experience but looks to be ready to go anyway). McIntyre, Osho, Howe, East, Barrett all involved last season so the barrier of 'first team football' has been broken for them. Novacovic 2 full seasons in Dutch football, full international caps. The process has started and most of them are not 17-18 year olds but 20-22. There is certainly a risk element and not all will make the transition but we aren't suddenly taking a bunch of kids away from GCSE studies and making them play men's football. The other factor is most of them have had 2-3 years of playing in a pretty successful U23 side so are used to playing together.
I reckon for several of them it is exactly the right time to be thrown in, Tom McIntyre is a footballer with a brain and is ready, Olise looks like a proper talent, Howe looked at home in his brief run against Brum, Novacovic is proven.
They won't win us the title and we certainly need a couple of players to bolster the squad but we've got a lot of talent. Talkig to a QPR fan today and they have basically been taking on players rejected at other clubs at this level, much more worrying way to proceed.

any one of them would be fine to slot in for a whole season as first choice in one position.
its when you start bringing 3,4,5,6 that it becomes a much bigger risk

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jul 2019 09:32

Maneki Neko
Nameless
Maneki Neko
fine to bring them through, and ease them in etc, but preferably not all in one go when you have no other choice

Rino, Loader, Olise, Richards, Watson have got decent experience in the last 12 months (Olise less experience but looks to be ready to go anyway). McIntyre, Osho, Howe, East, Barrett all involved last season so the barrier of 'first team football' has been broken for them. Novacovic 2 full seasons in Dutch football, full international caps. The process has started and most of them are not 17-18 year olds but 20-22. There is certainly a risk element and not all will make the transition but we aren't suddenly taking a bunch of kids away from GCSE studies and making them play men's football. The other factor is most of them have had 2-3 years of playing in a pretty successful U23 side so are used to playing together.
I reckon for several of them it is exactly the right time to be thrown in, Tom McIntyre is a footballer with a brain and is ready, Olise looks like a proper talent, Howe looked at home in his brief run against Brum, Novacovic is proven.
They won't win us the title and we certainly need a couple of players to bolster the squad but we've got a lot of talent. Talkig to a QPR fan today and they have basically been taking on players rejected at other clubs at this level, much more worrying way to proceed.

any one of them would be fine to slot in for a whole season as first choice in one position.

You make a good point about throwing too many in at once and that always has to be a concern, but I probably side with Nameless, in that our 'boys' are a) actually pretty good players b) many have enough experience now and c) are well up for the fight.

Any negative of having them starting for us is, in my opinion, overcompensated for by the positive of them being young, fit, passionate and hungry to prove a point. Even the loanees brought in were this sort of player: passionate and hungry to do well. Give me 11 mediocre inexperienced rough diamonds who will fight for the badge over 11 experienced Alukos, Pogs, Baldocks, McShanes etc any day of the week.

Odd as it may sound I'm suddenly MUCH more interested in watching Reading play, when I see our academy boys are coming through, because they are true Reading boys, care about the club and will fight to the death for it. This is my little Reading that I've missed for so long,

Gomes has a real opportunity here to continue what he's started i.e. building a family of hungry passionate players.

He'd be mad to leave.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jul 2019 12:51

Think he'd be mad to walk away from any contract. If we start the season badly he'll be ridiculously and unfairly sacked anyway and get a bigger pay off than most of us earn in 5-10 years of salary.

Expectation for this season has to be to finish 21st and no lower. We're seriously lacking in experience at centre back and centre midfield at the moment. We were dreadful at creating and scoring chances before Oliveira arrived so I argue that we're a quality forward light as well. What if Loader becomes the next Aaron Kuhl and doesn't cut it? It's definitely a big risk to rely on untested youth players. Even bigger risk to do it without enough experienced pro's to help them.

I'd rather sell Loader or Olise for £8-10m now for example and use the cash to bring in a few experienced and proven players at this level to bulken the spine of the team than bring nobody in at all. If we get relegated and they shine then they'll just be sold anyway and probably at a much lower fee if we're in league 1.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 16 Jul 2019 12:55, edited 5 times in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 16 Jul 2019 12:52

sadly there is no sentiment in football anymore, he will go where the money is.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jul 2019 13:06

Maneki Neko
Nameless
Maneki Neko

No one is suggesting the first team would have 6 new Academy players from day 1. Only Olise and McIntyre look likely starters at this point. If another 4 or 5 end up playing 10 games each (that’s 20% of the fixtures) that’s hardly a risk especially in Nova is one of them given he has plenty of experience.
I’d worry if our starting lineup looked like it would have 6 kids but that’s not the case

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Jul 2019 15:55

paddy20

Walker/Virginia

Yiadom
Moore (c)
McIntyre
Blackett

Rinohmota
Swift
Olise

Barrow
Meite
Loader

But this is the sort of mentality that got us where we find ourselves.

Spending fortunes on the likes of Aluko rather than give players such as Olise a chance, when it's as clear as day he's already better than Sonny ever was in a Reading shirt.

After our season was saved by 5 young loanees plus Rino, who was barely on Clement's radar this time last year, fans STILL want to return to the tried and failed method that would have seen us preparing for a season in League One.

Real madness would be not giving a hugely talented group of young players the chance to save us a fortune while the club returns to financial stability.

Just not having to spend next summer off loading this summer's crap signings would represent significant progress and with no money to spend, what else does anyone expect us to sign?

Like others, I'd sooner go down with the young guns, but having survived last season, I really can't see it happening.

If we go with what we've got plus anyone worthwhile Gomes can muster on the cheap, hopefully by January, having off loaded a few more, we will have a better idea who is going to make the grade and some funds to fill any gaps that appear.

Really looking forward to it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2019 18:19

I think Stranded's suggested XI would definitely struggle, very weak in midfield and low on goals. 2 injuries in the wrong places and it's screwed.

But. Replace 2 of Swift, Loader and Olise with a genuine CM and Novakovich and I think it looks considerably better. Still fragile to a poor start and still in trouble to a couple of injuries in the wrong place.... and ideally you'd want another CB, but certainly far from doomed before a ball is kicked.

And I'd enjoy watching it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Jul 2019 23:10

paddy20 He's seems to be getting more and more frustrated and who can blame him?

Media noise one suspects. There is a plan. A long term one. There is no quick fix. Gomes will be fully aware. There'll be activity behind the scenes. I'd expect last minute additions in the form of loan players. End of last season we showed ourselves to be a good opportunity for players wanting to make a name for themselves.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Jul 2019 10:21

Lower West
paddy20 He's seems to be getting more and more frustrated and who can blame him?

Media noise one suspects. There is a plan. A long term one. There is no quick fix. Gomes will be fully aware. There'll be activity behind the scenes. I'd expect last minute additions in the form of loan players. End of last season we showed ourselves to be a good opportunity for players wanting to make a name for themselves.

its not media noise, other than its on media
its the words coming out of his mouth. the expressions on his face and his body language.
he is clearly very frustrated.

not saying hes going anywhere, mind

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jul 2019 11:01

Well Tim Dellor has tweeted this morning that Gomes told him that he turned down a job at a "European Champions League" club to see the job through - if true good to hear but also suggests he wouldn't be short of suitors if he decides to walk.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Jul 2019 11:30

Stranded Well Tim Dellor has tweeted this morning that Gomes told him that he turned down a job at a "European Champions League" club to see the job through - if true good to hear but also suggests he wouldn't be short of suitors if he decides to walk.

would have been one of these.
Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), PAOK (Greece), KRC Genk (Belgium), Club Brugge (Belgium), İstanbul Başakşehir (Turkey), LASK Linz (Austria), FK Partizani (Albania) and F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg).

One87One

by One87One » 17 Jul 2019 11:34

He chose to stay when he could have left a few weeks ago, according to Dellor. A club in the Champions League. Can’t be a big name, but still. But with these delays and his frustration now starting to show, who could blame him for going? He kept us up and I’ll be grateful for that for some time, but the insecurities here just continue.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jul 2019 11:39

windermereROYAL
Stranded Well Tim Dellor has tweeted this morning that Gomes told him that he turned down a job at a "European Champions League" club to see the job through - if true good to hear but also suggests he wouldn't be short of suitors if he decides to walk.

would have been one of these.
Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), PAOK (Greece), KRC Genk (Belgium), Club Brugge (Belgium), İstanbul Başakşehir (Turkey), LASK Linz (Austria), FK Partizani (Albania) and F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg).

PAOK would be my guess.....

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 17 Jul 2019 12:00

I suppose taking the positives we have a great manager that seems to care. Its been a long time since we've been able to say that