Any more out the door?

257 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Any more out the door?

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2019 08:39

I know we've all been focused on incoming recently; rightfully so. But is there any more scope for players leaving? By my count, we still have Guntet, McCleary, Meyler and McNulty still on the books this year, who will offer very little to our playing squad. Given the Gourlay era, I wouldn't be surprised if they're costing £50k - £60k a week between them, or a £2.5m hole in our FFP budget. I also think we'd let Baldock go in a heartbeat if there was a half decent loan/free available.

Are there any rumours around outgoings? Were we right to play hardball with Hibs over McNulty?

Edit: maybe wages are more modest than my estimate. We let Kelly go free as he was on a Gourlay contract. Maybe the club are happy not to offer any giveaways with these guys.

Old Man Andrews

Re: Any more out the door?

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jul 2019 09:16

Think McCleary and Gunter will go but nearer deadline day. They can both do a job in the Championship and could still command a decent wage. Meyler will be much harder to offload. On big wages and would no doubt have to take a cut to move somewhere, can't see him doing that to be honest.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2019 11:10

Old Man Andrews Think McCleary and Gunter will go but nearer deadline day. They can both do a job in the Championship and could still command a decent wage. Meyler will be much harder to offload. On big wages and would no doubt have to take a cut to move somewhere, can't see him doing that to be honest.

I'm actually very surprised nobody has tried Gunter yet. I dont rate him but hes got plenty of experience and should be seen by certain clubs as a perfect back up signing.

McCleary breaks my heart. I think he was once a top championship winger. Did a decent job in the prem and could have made a go up there. Hes been unlucky with injuries but never anything but professional. I hope he gets a good club.

One87One

by One87One » 23 Jul 2019 13:26

Gomes knows the club wants to push for promotion. He’s allowed to keep his star players. The only one I could see going is Barrow and that’s purely because it’s the third window running he’s asked to leave. Otherwise it’s the few who have been frozen out who will hopefully be moved on.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2019 13:41

Just realised I forgot Popa. Surely we can send him back to some minor European league?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 14:13

I doubt anyone is going to pony up the wages to attract him. His work ethic and commitment has been questioned several times. I guess he's happy pulling in a nice wage doing sod all and then moving with a nice signing on fee next year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 16:03

thing on Twitter about him refusing to go unless his contract paid up in full.

basically need to find another rich Saudi club or similar to take him

Must be up there with the biggest wasters in the club's history. Dreadful signing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2019 18:06

Hound thing on Twitter about him refusing to go unless his contract paid up in full.

Must be up there with the biggest wasters in the club's history. Dreadful signing.

Same as Baldock really. Just Sam might actually contribute if he hangs around.

And Joey actually.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Jul 2019 18:38

Interesting that McNulty and Meyler are tweeting about having a "last supper", could mean nothing, could mean one or both are off.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 23 Jul 2019 18:43

They're going to betray Gomes and hand him over to the Roman prefect in the early hours of the morning.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2019 19:19

Would certainly think it means one of them are leaving at least, obvs became mates in their time

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2019 08:04

tidus_mi2 Interesting that McNulty and Meyler are tweeting about having a "last supper", could mean nothing, could mean one or both are off.

Putting a few bits together, think McNulty will sign for Sunderland in the next day or so. The Last Supper post mixed with reports that Sunderland and Charlton were interested followed by Lee Bowyer stating that Sunderland had signed a new striker suggests that at least.

If true, good move for everybody that.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Jul 2019 09:45

Hound thing on Twitter about him refusing to go unless his contract paid up in full.

Don’t blame Popa at all tbh. Only played 15 games, scored an important goal and got frozen out. Certainly contributed more than the likes of Meyler, McNulty, Hurtado etc

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 09:52

royalp-we

Don’t blame Popa at all tbh. Only played 15 games, scored an important goal and got frozen out. Certainly contributed more than the likes of Meyler, McNulty, Hurtado etc

He is massivley unprofessional and overweight though. He clearly hasn't worked hard enough in his time here or he would have been a regular for us. Ask yourself why consecutive managers haven't fancied him, not a coincidence.

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 24 Jul 2019 09:58

royalp-we

Hasn't Meyler only played 5 games for us?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 10:05

Royal Bison
royalp-we

Hasn't Meyler only played 5 games for us?

Earned roughly £240,000 for playing those 5 games too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 11:44

CF, who has been on the money recently, thinks McNulty is off to SAFC.

However scanning their local news, they think the striker under question isn't him

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2019 12:25

Hound CF, who has been on the money recently, thinks McNulty is off to SAFC.

However scanning their local news, they think the striker under question isn't him

As of about 15 mins ago the Sunderland Echo are reporting that they are closing on McNulty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 12:27

yeah just seen that. Marquis from Donny was the other name mentioned, but sounds like it is McNulty. Good move for them and us

Interestingly they are also under a soft embargo from the sound of things

One87One

by One87One » 24 Jul 2019 12:55

Lee Bowyer said yesterday he’d lost out to Sunderland for a striker. Sounds like he needed to offload to bring him in. Season loan.

257 posts