SPECULATION - Aaron Tshibola

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Aaron Tshibola

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 08:17

I'm happy to forgive his stupid decision to jump at first opportunity. But have several concerns.

Firstly attitude. Why did he leave when every man and his dog knew he wouldn't play for Villa? Why did he not flourish on loans when he had the talent? Suggests he has been thinking far too highly of himself.

Second, development. He is probably a worse player now than we sold. He's not had stability or regular game time.

How is his confidence after 3 disappointing years?

Overall, I'd stay clear.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2019 08:23

He played 37 games for Kilmarnock over the past season and a half and by all accounts did very well for them which is reflected in their league position last season. Not sure where you get your information from but it is wrong.

He would be a great free signing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 08:49

What I would say is he's a technical player who would fit Gomes' style, and he's athletic too. Like you say, I didn't follow at Kilmarnock, but his spells at Forest and MK were disappointing

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 08:51

The way I look at it, if Tshibola hadn't come through our ranks - this wouldn't even be a conversation, we simply wouldn't be interested (as fans certainly).

Not followed his career closely but he's done OK - the only plus point in him coming back is that he might feel he has a lot to prove here given he left pretty quickly after breaking through but I'm fairly meh about any possibility of it happening.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 17:55

I'd be interested to know whether there's a correlation between those who are happy with our current midfield options and those who aren't keen on Tish vs vice versa.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jul 2019 18:50

Snowflake Royal I'd be interested to know whether there's a correlation between those who are happy with our current midfield options and those who aren't keen on Tish vs vice versa.

A correlation which way? I think we need another midfielder, I don't think it should be Tish...

Still mourning the loss of Baker, tbh - of all the loanees, he's the one I wanted back the most.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 19:08

Stranded The way I look at it, if Tshibola hadn't come through our ranks - this wouldn't even be a conversation, we simply wouldn't be interested (as fans certainly).

Not followed his career closely but he's done OK - the only plus point in him coming back is that he might feel he has a lot to prove here given he left pretty quickly after breaking through but I'm fairly meh about any possibility of it happening.

On the other hand the fact that he came through our Academy means we know far more about him than we would about some other random 20 something medium rated midfielder. The Tish that was the anchor of our U21 side and excelled at Hartlepool would be an asset to this side. What we don’t know is what has changed.
Likewise the fact that he came through our Academy means he probably has an affinity with the club and may see moving here as ‘coming home’. Who knows.
Of course most of the key people who were here when he was have gone so whether he is even on the radar I have no idea.
I think he could be a low cost, low risk signing as long as he wasn’t being greedy and there is no current baggage (doubt he would have got a full season at Killie if he had issues)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2019 22:11

Snowflake Royal I'd be interested to know whether there's a correlation between those who are happy with our current midfield options and those who aren't keen on Tish vs vice versa.

Beginning of last season we had an excess of midfield players. Now the reverse. Too much to expect academy players to put a consistant shift in for 46 plus games.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jul 2019 09:25

not entirely sure what the situation was with his departure, whether it came predominantly from him, or whether we were desperate for the cash.

what i do know is that when he was here he was an excellent player in a position and style we could do with currently and think its probably worth a look on a free

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 10:21

Maneki Neko not entirely sure what the situation was with his departure, whether it came predominantly from him, or whether we were desperate for the cash.

what i do know is that when he was here he was an excellent player in a position and style we could do with currently and think its probably worth a look on a free

I'd agree, one year contract or something incase his injury problems return. If he can get back to how he was before he left, however briefly we saw it, he'd be great alongside Tish.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 11:32

Maneki Neko not entirely sure what the situation was with his departure, whether it came predominantly from him, or whether we were desperate for the cash.

We were never, ever going to turn down £5 million for a youngster with a dozen games under his belt for us.
He was never going to turn down a move to a massive club on probably 10 times his wages.
His agent was never going to miss out on his commission.
Hard to see how it could have ended any other way, especially with Steve Clark the Villa manager probably knowing exactly what Tish was earning.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2019 11:44

He will be on a big wage at Villa. They want to give him a free, but he'd still want that weekly - its not like they'll want to loan him and pay much of his wages.

He hasn't been released and paid up, so unlikely we could pay him any less on a 1 year deal

even if we did want him, I don't think it would happen unless Villa don't get any other offers and make do with whoever will pay the biggest percentage of his wage

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jul 2019 11:54

Nameless

We were never, ever going to turn down £5 million for a youngster with a dozen games under his belt for us.
He was never going to turn down a move to a massive club on probably 10 times his wages.
His agent was never going to miss out on his commission.
Hard to see how it could have ended any other way, especially with Steve Clark the Villa manager probably knowing exactly what Tish was earning.

I remember Tevreden saying at a later date that he would have been happy to reject the bid and take a hardline stance as we have seen with Moore and Barrow recently. However, Tish was pushing for the move and in that context £5m was very good business.

As for Tish himself, it was short sighted. He was clearly unlikely to play for them given his relative inexperience and their squad. We were never going to match Villa's wages, but no doubt he would have got a new contract and payrise had he stayed. If his progression had continued, he could well have got his big move at a later date when he was ready.

As it is, he has probably already had the biggest contract of his career before turning 25. He only has himself to blame.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jul 2019 12:01

no problem with his showing ambition and backing himself.
the only issue for me would be wages.
If he can get anyone else to match what hes on now, good luck to him, but id imagine that would be unlikely.
if he really wanted to get his career back on track and get a chance to reprove himself and take a pay cut to do so, then this would be a good move

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 30 Jul 2019 12:06

We are crying out for a Tshibola type. To be back playing with his academy mates could be ideal for him. If, if, his wages are decent (surely you negotiate on he basis that Kilmarnock was his level, Barrett is his level) then I’d take him. If he is successful, then you can pre-negotiate his wages up a level. This, of course, would mean he’d have to take a substantial salary cut, or we pay a fee to Villa and they part of the wages...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jul 2019 12:13

Maneki Neko no problem with his showing ambition and backing himself.
If he can get anyone else to match what hes on now, good luck to him, but id imagine that would be unlikely.
if he really wanted to get his career back on track and get a chance to reprove himself and take a pay cut to do so, then this would be a good move

I disagree with you on the ambition point. Ambition is fine but has to be mixed with realism. Tish had about 15 Championship appearances and moved at a point in his career where a few years of reserve football and dodgy loans could set him back significantly, which is exactly what has happened. When you join a huge club like Villa where promotion is the expectation, you are asking them to take a big risk by throwing you, even if you do impress in training.

The time to take such a gamble is later in your career after you have proven yourself. Sidwell is a good example. He had been a key player in promotion and our 8th place finish. He took the gamble to try and prove himself at Chelsea and it didn't work out. He left a year later and you have to say that in the context of his career, it didn't have a big negative impact. This is very different to a reckless gamble Tish took, which youngsters seem to do far too often.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Jul 2019 13:55

Yes, like many other kids, Tshibola made a decision that didn't pan out as he would have liked. It happens. And?
The footy world is full of wrong decisions. Clubs, board rooms, players, coaches, managers, refs, transfers, fans.
Not many of us have been in Tshibola's position and easy to sit here and say what we would have done.
But that decision was then, this is now, and he can't go back and change it now.
Of more relevance for our current regime is whether the player could play footy for us now and contribute.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 14:17

Footy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2019 18:31

Maneki Neko no problem with his showing ambition and backing himself.

Spot on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2019 18:32

Denver Royal Yes, like many other kids, Tshibola made a decision that didn't pan out as he would have liked. It happens. And?
The footy world is full of wrong decisions. Clubs, board rooms, players, coaches, managers, refs, transfers, fans.
Not many of us have been in Tshibola's position and easy to sit here and say what we would have done.
But that decision was then, this is now, and he can't go back and change it now.
Of more relevance for our current regime is whether the player could play footy for us now and contribute.

And this.