Puscas speculation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Puscas speculation.

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2019 19:48

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal We don't exactly try to play to his strengths, or give him a decent partner to work with. Or feed him much but scraps.

Multiple times yesterday there was space for him to make runs behind the Swansea defence...he didn’t move, barely gave the midfield an option, resulting in them losing the ball or going backwards.

It was a shocking performance from a striker at this level.

I think personally he might look better playing the lone striker role - that might play to his strengths

But if he’s dropped after that showing, he can’t complain

I think our midfield encourage our forwards not to make runs because they frequently spend their time passing backwards, sideways, turning in circles or trying to tip toe through three challenges.

The forwards start out making runs, but never know when the ball will be released, because it certainly isn't released consistently early, so just give up.

Which only encourages the midfielders not to have their head up looking for the run, because no one is doing it, which means there's no point running. Etc. Etc.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Sep 2019 10:30

File under Grabban, Sharp and Martin. Obviously oozes class but just not right for Reading.

Flog in Jan, cheers.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Sep 2019 10:52

John Smith File under Grabban, Sharp and Martin. Obviously oozes class but just not right for Reading.

Flog in Jan, cheers.

And Vydra, it is annoying when players come here they lose that scoring touch, but when they leave comes back again, I reckon Puscas will come good.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Sep 2019 13:52

Difference being that they were all short term loans.

Puscas is only 23, and just 7 games into a 5 year contract. Got plenty of time to come good.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 14:05

Puscas will be absolutely fine once we start playing to his strengths. He should be 1st name on the teamsheet and given the service he needs in order to score goals.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Sep 2019 15:31

Snowflake Royal We don't exactly try to play to his strengths, or give him a decent partner to work with. Or feed him much but scraps.

Don't think his miss against Swansea was inexcusable either.

Bit of a loose ball on the up he had to snatch at, possibly a bit behind him.

Obviously you want it to go in and I expect if he was getting good service and we were playing well it would have done.

Agree, well said.

Has instincts, and may just need a goal.
Improve his fitness levels, and continue to work on techniques. (Right now, for example, think he overuses his side foot. Turn foot over, keep it down, hit ball with his laces, etc).
Had no preseason with this group, is adjusting to Champ, and a new country, and at 23 isn't the finished article.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Sep 2019 15:49

Old Man Andrews Puscas will be absolutely fine once we start playing to his strengths. He should be 1st name on the teamsheet and given the service he needs in order to score goals.

some consistency of selection and set up might help tbh

yuomi

by yuomi » 30 Sep 2019 16:41

This thread is why we can't have nice things.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Sep 2019 16:54

Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews Puscas will be absolutely fine once we start playing to his strengths. He should be 1st name on the teamsheet and given the service he needs in order to score goals.

some consistency of selection and set up might help tbh

Yep a settled team will 100% help. Also a few players need to release the ball early and expect the run to be made. He has shown at times he has the movement.
Also his misses are frustrating now, but still plenty of time of the season to come good. Some of his chances have fell to him unexpectedly which a confident CF would score.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2019 17:21

Do sometimes think he goes for power when a little less with a bit more accuracy would help.

Mind you, blasting it never did Shearer much harm.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2019 17:23

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal

Multiple times yesterday there was space for him to make runs behind the Swansea defence...he didn’t move, barely gave the midfield an option, resulting in them losing the ball or going backwards.

I think personally he might look better playing the lone striker role - that might play to his strengths

I think our midfield encourage our forwards not to make runs because they frequently spend their time passing backwards, sideways, turning in circles or trying to tip toe through three challenges.

The forwards start out making runs, but never know when the ball will be released, because it certainly isn't released consistently early, so just give up.

Which only encourages the midfielders not to have their head up looking for the run, because no one is doing it, which means there's no point running. Etc. Etc.

Good point. We are far too slow to move the ball forward. I notice how quickly the opposition move the ball on in comparison. It also makes us so much easier to defend against.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2019 17:34

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal

Good point. We are far too slow to move the ball forward. I notice how quickly the opposition move the ball on in comparison. It also makes us so much easier to defend against.

I can't possibly be right. I'm a know nothing idiot who has never watched a game in his life apparently.

I think a bunch of you must be ill :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2019 17:37

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal

I can't possibly be right. I'm a know nothing idiot who has never watched a game in his life apparently.

Even though you are an annoying oxf*rd on the politics thread you talk more sense than most on the team board. Anyone who suggests you are not an authentic Reading supporter is a fool.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2019 17:53

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Even though you are an annoying oxf*rd on the politics thread you talk more sense than most on the team board. Anyone who suggests you are not an authentic Reading supporter is a fool.

Get rid of Corbyn and I'll only be annoying at Tories. X

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2019 09:41

its strange isn't it - we've been slow moving since Clarke really - none of the managers since have really successfully got us zipping the ball about

Maybe at times last year with Barrow and Meite up front, and Martinez's excellent distribution.

We're not as slow as the Stam era, but yeah we do plod the majority of times.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Oct 2019 10:50

Puscas will be fine.

Swansea was not a sitter, there was a defender and him both going for the ball and he got there first and it only just went over. Was not easy.

The point is he gets into all these positions. Funny how noone else misses sitters? Because they're not there to miss them.

After Cardiff he is being heavily marked and given no space, which is freeing up room for the likes of Ejaria /Swift/Yiadom to do their wonder strikes.

He is NOTHING like Vydra et al who were utter shite for us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 12:28

Hound its strange isn't it - we've been slow moving since Clarke really - none of the managers since have really successfully got us zipping the ball about

Maybe at times last year with Barrow and Meite up front, and Martinez's excellent distribution.

Don't think there's a slower team in the football league at counter attacks than us. Even the last attack of the game on Saturday from their free kick was lacklustre

Doesn't help that our players seem incapable of passing in front of someone. It's a massive momentum killer

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 13:18

Hound its strange isn't it - we've been slow moving since Clarke really - none of the managers since have really successfully got us zipping the ball about

Clement made us more direct and upped our tempo, although there were obviously other issues and he had a mega injury crisis.

The problem is, any possession based emphasis will lead to pedestrian plodding if it isn't successful. There's only so long players will keep risking attacking balls if they don't get through, or keep moving for space or making runs if they don't receive the ball. Suddenly it all becomes about picking the safe option and not being the one to oxf*rd up. Which is our problem a lot of the time over the last few years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2019 13:33

yes, probably fair about Clement. Certainly towards the end of his reign, we were of a higher tempo and more direct.

Absolutely agree with the safety first possession football. We seem to get it wrong and be too risky in our own area and too safe further up the pitch. Think a lot is about confidence, as the WBA game for example we were excellent in their half at times.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Oct 2019 15:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup Puscas will be fine.

Swansea was not a sitter, there was a defender and him both going for the ball and he got there first and it only just went over. Was not easy.

The point is he gets into all these positions. Funny how noone else misses sitters? Because they're not there to miss them.

After Cardiff he is being heavily marked and given no space, which is freeing up room for the likes of Ejaria /Swift/Yiadom to do their wonder strikes.

He is NOTHING like Vydra et al who were utter shite for us.

Yes, not worried about Puscas yet.
We bought in to a process. He'll get a good look here.
Improve his conditioning and fitness levels for Champ.
He's currently a bit slower than I expected, and there's been some chances he didn't quite get to.
So, work on his explosion for separation. Sprint speed and quickness drills over 5-10 yards with stopwatch, etc.
And work on techniques for lunging/stretching for balls crossed in that are 5 yards away.