January Transfer Window

456 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Transfer Window

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jan 2020 16:50

Hendo

Looks like Barrett is on his way out.

Good luck to him. Never got a real chance here but cant say for sure how much he deserved one. Looked bright at times but all I remember about his debut was thinking he looked petulant. I hope he gets his break.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Jan 2020 17:22

Reported that he might be off to Bristol Rovers, who are in a decent position in L1.

GD outside the play-offs and only 5 points off second.

Would be a really good challenge for him.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Jan 2020 17:23

Bit gutted about Barrett. I thought he was excellent against Plymouth early in the season with two superb strikes, but he then got very few chances since.

I wish him well and hope that the new opportunity works well for him.

He might turn out to be one that got away.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2020 19:21

Hendo Reported that he might be off to Bristol Rovers, who are in a decent position in L1.

GD outside the play-offs and only 5 points off second.

Would be a really good challenge for him.

Definitely Rovers

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... t-17521582

Presuming it maybe a free transfer but with a large sell on clause.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 Jan 2020 21:02

Up the Ding?

Is that what the youth call us these days?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2020 21:19

Good luck to him. Good player who has upped his work rate. Doesn't really fit our shape - you'll not often be bringing on such a young inexperienced player to change your shape to try to win a game.

Lots of potential, and should do well in L1. Would have liked to see him get a few more games here first, but probably the right move.

Got to assume we're looking to bring in some players in his sort of position given our lack of genuine wide options.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 07 Jan 2020 14:09

Barrett to Rovers now confirmed by the club.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 07 Jan 2020 14:30

Snowflake Royal Good luck to him. Good player who has upped his work rate. Doesn't really fit our shape - you'll not often be bringing on such a young inexperienced player to change your shape to try to win a game.

Lots of potential, and should do well in L1. Would have liked to see him get a few more games here first, but probably the right move.

Got to assume we're looking to bring in some players in his sort of position given our lack of genuine wide options.

I doubt we will bring anyone in. Our squad is still quite big and I think it's more of letting the fringe players go. Bowen also seems to prefer the full backs bombing forward where possible which suits Yiadom, Gunter, Obita and Richards. It wouldn't really make sense to replace a fringe player who probably wasn't going to get another game between now and the end of the season anyway.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 14:37

Snowflake Royal Good luck to him. Good player who has upped his work rate. Doesn't really fit our shape - you'll not often be bringing on such a young inexperienced player to change your shape to try to win a game.

If he was all you said he is then we wouldn't have let him go for nothing and he wouldn't be in League 1. He just wasn't good enough, thats the truth.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 14:42

Old Man Andrews

If he was all you said he is then we wouldn't have let him go for nothing and he wouldn't be in League 1. He just wasn't good enough, thats the truth.

it must be the truth, OMA has said so.
Last edited by WoodleyRoyal on 07 Jan 2020 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jan 2020 14:43

andrew1957 Bit gutted about Barrett. I thought he was excellent against Plymouth early in the season with two superb strikes, but he then got very few chances since.

I wish him well and hope that the new opportunity works well for him.

He might turn out to be one that got away.

He aint no Antonio thats for sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 15:11

Who Moved The Goalposts? Barrett to Rovers now confirmed by the club.

Fair enough - hope he does well, seemed a decent lad and certainly got some talent

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 15:40

Any details about fee or sell on clause?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 15:42

NewCorkSeth Any details about fee or sell on clause?

Undisclosed fee (no surprise there) and no official mention of a sell-on clause (that I have seen).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 15:42

NewCorkSeth Any details about fee or sell on clause?

not that I can see

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 15:44

Feck. Well I suppose anything for him is fine. Funny that we likely made more money on Barrett than we did off Kelly.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 15:46

Marc McNulty ( :shock: forgot he even existed) linked with Swindon

"Meanwhile, Sunderland's on-loan forward Marc McNulty is wanted by League Two Swindon Town.

The Scot has scored five times for the Black Cats since joining on temporary deal from Reading in the summer.

His last League One goal came back in September against Rotherham, and he has only started one league game under Parkinson.

However his loan deal is thought not to contain a recall clause, and Parkinson has gone on record to say that he wants him to stay.

"Marc is here with us for the rest of the season," Parkinson said when asked about the striker"

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... n-17525845

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 15:49

WoodleyRoyal Marc McNulty ( :shock: forgot he even existed) linked with Swindon

"Meanwhile, Sunderland's on-loan forward Marc McNulty is wanted by League Two Swindon Town.

The Scot has scored five times for the Black Cats since joining on temporary deal from Reading in the summer.

His last League One goal came back in September against Rotherham, and he has only started one league game under Parkinson.

However his loan deal is thought not to contain a recall clause, and Parkinson has gone on record to say that he wants him to stay.

"Marc is here with us for the rest of the season," Parkinson said when asked about the striker"

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... n-17525845

Chronicle also reckon he could be on his way back to Hibs.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 08 Jan 2020 09:38

Siggy told he can leave..... get the bid in Dai!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 10:32

I'm going to stick my neck out on Barrett. I'm disappointed he's gone. If you look at what Boye has contributed this season, surely you could have given Barrett more chances? In his limited chances, he assisted against Sheff Wed, scored 2 against Plymouth, was involved in setting up the equaliser against Wolves and scored in our final pre season game against Chelsea.

I'm not suggesting he should have been starting, but if you look at the chances Loader has has and how mediocre Boye is, I simply think Barrett deserved more of a chance. We're also going to release McCleary this summer; shouldn't we be looking at academy options who can step up?

A season in and around the squad would have been fair, before moving on to L1 if he's not up to it. From what we saw this season, I don't think he was far off the required standard. I won't be at all surprised if this is a single step back on the way to a decent Championship career.

456 posts