Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: January Transfer Window

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2020 09:42

URZZZZ
Stranded
paultheroyal
Fosu = Antonio mk2

And if he does as well then fair play. Every single club, probably in the world, have let players go who end up going on to bigger and better things. It's really not as big a deal as some would like it to be.

It’s pretty obvious Antonio wouldn’t have had the career he has had if he stayed here. Possibly with Stacey too. And maybe with Fosu. People can’t seem to grasp that

Well quite - people look at the player he is now and don't see the player they were then - clubs make calls based on what they need now and yes potential plays a part - you also have to factor in the players desire to play as well. Some will be happy to hang on another year or two thinking they will get that shot at their current club - others will rightly back themselves to be good enough now and move on to another club, often at a lower level (not always) to prove that to themselves knowing that playing regularly and well, will attract interest either at the level they were at or higher.

Fosu could be great but he has had to move club again - he fell out of favour at Charlton last season to begin to get any interest from the Championship.
Last edited by Stranded on 31 Jan 2020 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2020 09:42

URZZZZ
Stranded
paultheroyal
Fosu = Antonio mk2

And if he does as well then fair play. Every single club, probably in the world, have let players go who end up going on to bigger and better things. It's really not as big a deal as some would like it to be.

It’s pretty obvious Antonio wouldn’t have had the career he has had if he stayed here. Possibly with Stacey too. And maybe with Fosu. People can’t seem to grasp that

Yeah, I also don't know how people can't grasp this. Antonio especially was never going to get in ahead of the wingers we had at the club at the time.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Jan 2020 09:43

paultheroyal
PistolPete https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/18200330.oxford-united-accept-offers-shandon-baptiste-tariqe-fosu/

Not joining us, but Brentford once again bossing the transfer market. Fosu was always going to be good, will we have any clause for him? Baptiste will be brilliant too

Fosu = Antonio mk2

Nah, Fosu actually looked like a footballer whilst he was here. Whereas all Antonio had was a long throw.

Fair play to him for getting up to the PL, despite having the technical ability of the back end of a Pantomime horse.
Last edited by sandman on 31 Jan 2020 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2020 09:44

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Conor Wickham on loan while Joao is injured makes sense. Conor Wickham on permanent transfer, with probable high wages and history of injuries, is not good business.

Joao, Puscas, Baldock and Meite should be our options next season. If Puscas' second season in England is disappointing we can look to change things up then, but I think he deserves a decent chance and we shouldn't change things unless a really good option comes along (which Wickham isn't)

What if Wickham comes in, settles immediately, scores lets say 8 in 16 games and makes it clear he would jump at the chance to sign permanently?

Then we probably couldn't afford him :)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 09:45

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Conor Wickham on loan while Joao is injured makes sense. Conor Wickham on permanent transfer, with probable high wages and history of injuries, is not good business.

Joao, Puscas, Baldock and Meite should be our options next season. If Puscas' second season in England is disappointing we can look to change things up then, but I think he deserves a decent chance and we shouldn't change things unless a really good option comes along (which Wickham isn't)

What if Wickham comes in, settles immediately, scores lets say 8 in 16 games and makes it clear he would jump at the chance to sign permanently?

Well, yes. We can only speculate at details and, who knows, maybe he'd take a fair wage. We'd have to shift somebody in the summer though; I suspect it would be Baldock.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 09:49

sandman
paultheroyal
PistolPete https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/18200330.oxford-united-accept-offers-shandon-baptiste-tariqe-fosu/

Not joining us, but Brentford once again bossing the transfer market. Fosu was always going to be good, will we have any clause for him? Baptiste will be brilliant too

Fosu = Antonio mk2

Nah Fosu actually looked like a footballer whilst he was here whereas all Antonio had was a long throw.

Fair play to him for getting up to the PL, despite having the technical ability of the back end of a Pantomime horse.

He had a good first touch and cross on him too :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2020 10:13

Surprised to see Mannone going to Denmark. Was expecting a slightly higher profile club to come in for him. Can't imagine they are coming close to matching his current wage

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Jan 2020 10:43

Hendo
URZZZZ
Stranded

Yeah, I also don't know how people can't grasp this. Antonio especially was never going to get in ahead of the wingers we had at the club at the time.

Antonio haD McAnuff & Kebe ahead of him...both were a big part of things here & generally consistent. Who were the wingers ahead of Fosu & Stacey? Potentially McCleary, who wasn’t great in 15/16, and can’t remember the other one? Plus we were mid-table fodder...completely different scenario

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 10:44

RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
Shane Long is in the Oracle in Reading town centre. [via:
@ChronCourtney
]

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2020 10:46

WoodleyRoyal RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
@ChronCourtney
]

Would be more encouraging if he was at Bearwood or the Madejski though.....
Doesn’t he still live locally ?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 10:47

Nameless
WoodleyRoyal RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
@ChronCourtney
]

Would be more encouraging if he was at Bearwood or the Madejski though.....
Doesn’t he still live locally ?

his mrs is from woodley and all her family are still here. he obviously isn't coming, but we can hope, no?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Jan 2020 10:49

WoodleyRoyal RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
@ChronCourtney
]

Once upon a time it was Bush Watch, now we have Shop Watch.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Jan 2020 10:49

Notts Royal
Hendo
URZZZZ

Antonio haD McAnuff & Kebe ahead of him...both were a big part of things here & generally consistent. Who were the wingers ahead of Fosu & Stacey? Potentially McCleary, who wasn’t great in 15/16, and can’t remember the other one? Plus we were mid-table fodder...completely different scenario

Beerens, then Harriott and Meite were signed as back up. I think we were right to sign Beerens who was a step above, and Meite on a free was a great opportunity that took a while to pay off. I said at the time that we should keep Stacey and Fosu and I stand by that.

Antonio was fifth choice behind Kebe, McAnuff, HRK and McCleary, all of whom are much better players. Again, I stand by what I said at the time.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 10:51

morganb
WoodleyRoyal RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
@ChronCourtney
]

Once upon a time it was Bush Watch, now we have Shop Watch.

yeah Andy Bernal ist allowed to do that anymore

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 11:28

SCIAG
Notts Royal
Hendo

Beerens, then Harriott and Meite were signed as back up. I think we were right to sign Beerens who was a step above, and Meite on a free was a great opportunity that took a while to pay off. I said at the time that we should keep Stacey and Fosu and I stand by that.

Antonio was fifth choice behind Kebe, McAnuff, HRK and McCleary, all of whom are much better players. Again, I stand by what I said at the time.

Fosu was always too greedy. He needed to learn the hard way and I get the impression Bowyer freezing him out last year did the trick because he’s looked good for Oxford this season

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2020 11:57

WoodleyRoyal RFC Latest
@RFCLatest
@ChronCourtney
]

Man in visiting family shocker.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 11:59

leon clarke made avaialable for loan.... could do a job

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jan 2020 12:01

WoodleyRoyal leon clarke made avaialable for loan.... could do a job

Huge +1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2020 12:07