Rumour - Liam Moore to West Brom

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Liam Moore to West Brom

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 12:17

leon Not sure why we’d disrupt a team that is gradually gelling after struggling for the past 3 seasons?

Financial pressures
Player commitment
Opportunity to strengthen the squad where it's weak whilst losing a player where it's fairly strong
Enables a younger, fresher replacement who could go further.

It's not ideal, but we need to be realistic. If we want to be competitive and sign good players, we need to sell someone for big money fairly regularly, or we'll fall foul of FFP again.

Unfortunately no one else is stupid enough to pay us £7m for Sone Aluko.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Dec 2019 12:20

Snowflake Royal
leon Not sure why we’d disrupt a team that is gradually gelling after struggling for the past 3 seasons?

Financial pressures
Player commitment
Opportunity to strengthen the squad where it's weak whilst losing a player where it's fairly strong

It's not ideal, but we need to be realistic. If we want to be competitive and sign good players, we need to sell someone for big money fairly regularly, or we'll fall foul of FFP again.

Clearly if we need the money we sell - what I mean is from a football perspective.

Everyone seems to not rate Moore but are we comfortable that we can replace him seamlessly (and making financial sense)?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 12:34

leon
Snowflake Royal

Financial pressures
Player commitment

Clearly if we need the money we sell - what I mean is from a football perspective.

Everyone seems to not rate Moore but are we comfortable that we can replace him seamlessly (and making financial sense)?

He's playing well, but he's been pretty ropey not that long ago. He's also been here quite a while, mostly dealing with relegation fights. There is a danger of becoming stale and used to losing (though Bowen is doing a cracking job on that right now).

Plus we have:
Morrison
Miazga
McIntyre
Blackett

We have a couple of full backs and maybe Pele who can 'do a job' in an emergency, plus Odimayo and Osho before we even consider a replacement.

Realistically we're over stocked at CB. Obviously things get strained with two injuries in the same position, but can we really afford to have three decent options for each position?

We have relatively few players who can attract big money at this point and Moore would be one of the more easily replaceable IMO.

We can't really sell Ejaria before he's ours. Puscas is injured and has struggled to make a real impact. We've just seen how crucial Swift is to the side. IMO that basically leaves Loader and Moore. And I think Loader's value and attractiveness is waining.

The general tone isn't "Yay, sell him!", it's "Well, if there's good money on offer we should probably take it as we could use it and have reasonable cover."

WBA are nailed on for promotion and we know he wanted to go to Brighton and how that (thanks to Gourlay) affected his performance.

Obviously if it's bollocks from the twatterati, great.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 12:37

leon
Snowflake Royal

Financial pressures
Player commitment

I think that's why everyone seems to agree that the deal only makes sense for good money. I think replacing Moore if we suddenly had 10 million to spend wouldn't be as difficult as I used to think it would be.

Hes a good CB and a good leader but with Morrison, Miazga and McIntyre we wouldn't be left short of decent options.

The question for me is where would be best to spend the money? Lots of people calling for a striker but we have plenty of them already. All of whom I assume to be on 15k a week or more. Currently the money might be better saved for the summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 12:40

Half to a black hole
Half to securing Miazga on a perm, or sending Boye back and getting an actual LWer.

Approximate values.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Dec 2019 12:42

I’d like to get some real pace into the team. So a fast striker/wide player.

Not sure about Blackett at CB. McIntyre needs some more games to be judged at this level. We also play 3 there on occasion so need extra cover.

Not sure - if we need money I’d look to trim the wage bill.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 12:45

Snowflake Royal Half to a black hole
Half to securing Miazga on a perm, or sending Boye back and getting an actual LWer.

Approximate values.

Out of interest, am I the only one who thinks we have a decent option for the left wing spot right now?

Genuinely think Baldock is the answer there. Hard working, team player, good speed and technique. It might not be where he wants to play but I could see him helping the team a huge amount from there. With Obita/Richards/Barrett as cover (maybe even Barrow if he decides to stay with us?) we dont look that bad down the left flank.

I know you dont like square pegs and all that but he performed well there in the past.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 12:49

NewCorkSeth

Approximate values.

Out of interest, am I the only one who thinks we have a decent option for the left wing spot right now?

Genuinely think Baldock is the answer there. Hard working, team player, good speed and technique. It might not be where he wants to play but I could see him helping the team a huge amount from there. With Obita/Richards/Barrett as cover (maybe even Barrow if he decides to stay with us?) we dont look that bad down the left flank.

I know you dont like square pegs and all that but he performed well there in the past.

Not as a winger, but as an inside forward type, maybe. It'd have to be a front 3 rather than a 4-4-2. Which doesn't solve the lack of an actual winger.

He's been playing well as a striker, so I'd be loathe to move him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 12:51

leon I’d like to get some real pace into the team. So a fast striker/wide player.

Not sure about Blackett at CB. McIntyre needs some more games to be judged at this level. We also play 3 there on occasion so need extra cover.

Half of our wage bill (slight exaggeration) is going on Puscas, Baldock, Meite and Joao.

Also our wage bill will trim itself next summer. McCleary and Gunter are probably earning good money. Adam and Blackett will likely leave as will Mannone. That's a decent bit of cash freed up.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 12:52

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Approximate values.

Not as a winger, but as an inside forward type, maybe. It'd have to be a front 3 rather than a 4-4-2. Which doesn't solve the lack of an actual winger.

He's been playing well as a striker, so I'd be loathe to move him.

Which is fair. Can see him and Meite doing damage on the flanks is all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2019 13:23

NewCorkSeth
leon I’d like to get some real pace into the team. So a fast striker/wide player.

Half of our wage bill (slight exaggeration) is going on Puscas, Baldock, Meite and Joao.

Also our wage bill will trim itself next summer. McCleary and Gunter are probably earning good money. Adam and Blackett will likely leave as will Mannone. That's a decent bit of cash freed up.

Obita as well would be on a hefty sum

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 13:28

Hound
NewCorkSeth

Oooh I forgot his contract is up. Surely we keep him if he stays fit?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 13:41

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth Half of our wage bill (slight exaggeration) is going on Puscas, Baldock, Meite and Joao.

Losing both him and Blackett in the same summer seems daft. Leaves us a CB and two LBs down with just Richards left.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2019 15:02

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth Half of our wage bill (slight exaggeration) is going on Puscas, Baldock, Meite and Joao.

Not on the same contract though I doubt. Was at the top of his game when he signed that last one

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 17:47

Love that Moore puts in a MotM performance today after the rumour mill spat him out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2019 20:03

While there is sense on cashing in if WBA are willing to pay top value we aren’t quite as strong at CB as people suggest. Blackett and Osho are likely to go in January which would mean if Moore left we’d need to sign someone to replace him....

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Dec 2019 21:20

Hound Birmingham mail reckons it’s nonsense

Hope its nonsense we have been steadily improving losing our captain and best defender would be a disaster unless stupid money .Also we do not have ideal replacements in the squad ie Blackett and Mcintyre.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Dec 2019 23:24

Henley Royal 1
Hound Birmingham mail reckons it’s nonsense

Hope its nonsense we have been steadily improving losing our captain and best defender would be a disaster unless stupid money .Also we do not have ideal replacements in the squad ie Blackett and Mcintyre.

TBH I would imagine the management are well aware of that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2019 23:28

Nameless While there is sense on cashing in if WBA are willing to pay top value we aren’t quite as strong at CB as people suggest. Blackett and Osho are likely to go in January which would mean if Moore left we’d need to sign someone to replace him....

Why is Blackett likely to go in January, especially if big money was on offer for Moore, and given he's currently in the first XI?

Not sure Osho really counts.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Dec 2019 23:37

Just about to ask the same question. Why would Blackett go in January? It’s his shirt right now.