Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:27

Reckon Bowen would far rather use a U23

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:43

devil's advocate view is that we may as well use him if he stays. And I can't see how we shift him to be honest. Player too shit, wages too high

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:48

WestYorksRoyal devil's advocate view is that we may as well use him if he stays. And I can't see how we shift him to be honest. Player too shit, wages too high

If it is his last year of the contract we might be able to come to an agreement to pay him up. Hopefully.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:51

I wonder how Gunter and McCleary will look back on their time. Both signed for a newly promoted club with a reputation for being well run, but their arrival largely coincided with us becoming a shit show. I'll look back on them both positively. Loyal servants and model professionals through a turbulent period, who deserved better treatment for their final 18 months or so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 12:27

I've a lot of time for both. Good players, and good people from everything I've seen or heard about them.

But undoubtedly their time is up with us, esp with the way the finances are

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2020 13:33

Hound I've a lot of time for both. Good players, and good people from everything I've seen or heard about them.

I agree that they have both acted professionally throughout their time with us and been good servants of the club. But it is time for them to move on if the club is to stabilise financially. I hope they get positive moves elsewhere.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 13:36

Hound I've a lot of time for both. Good players, and good people from everything I've seen or heard about them.

Both good blokes. Gunter was really good to my son when he was a mascot and McCleary's son plays at the same club as my son so see a fair bit of him, alway got time for people. Think they both stayed a few seasons too long. Had they left in their peaks they would be remembered very fondly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 13:39

Old Man Andrews

Both good blokes. Gunter was really good to my son when he was a mascot and McCleary's son plays at the same club as my son so see a fair bit of him, alway got time for people. Think they both stayed a few seasons too long. Had they left in their peaks they would be remembered very fondly.

yeah likewise McCleary walked out with my boy when he was mascot and was top class with him. Always had plenty of time for him after that

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jul 2020 13:44

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hound
It really does show just how pony Aluko is, that even with us having loads out of contract, a need to cut the squad and wage bill, and him with a year left on his contract which we'll prob have to pay basically in full, he still isn't getting any sort of look in at all at the moment.

I hope they have some dodgy chinese loan lined up for him again or something similar.

Got a horrible feeling he is going to get a chance next season, probably as a winger. Makes me feel sick.

Unlikely. Bowen has shown little inclination to use him after offering him an opportunity in the cup.

Any chance he'd get would be short because he's so shit. So wouldn't last long.

Agreed. Was a Stam signing and since he left Clement, Gomes and Bowen have all passed on Aluko. There must be a good player in there but he has just never fitted into the Reading systems (even when playing under Stam).

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Jul 2020 12:32

Hound
Old Man Andrews

yeah likewise McCleary walked out with my boy when he was mascot and was top class with him. Always had plenty of time for him after that

Great when players make the effort like that. Years ago one of my boys was in the flag waving line with his Woodley Saints kit on, number 8. Leigertwood made a beeline for him, ruffled his hair, said hello etc. He's still his favourite ever Reading player. :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jul 2020 13:34

Whore Jackie
Hound
Old Man Andrews Both good blokes. Gunter was really good to my son when he was a mascot and McCleary's son plays at the same club as my son so see a fair bit of him, alway got time for people. Think they both stayed a few seasons too long. Had they left in their peaks they would be remembered very fondly.

Great when players make the effort like that. Years ago one of my boys was in the flag waving line with his Woodley Saints kit on, number 8. Leigertwood made a beeline for him, ruffled his hair, said hello etc. He's still his favourite ever Reading player. :D

And Leigertwood remains the only Reading player to be name checked in a Carpenters song.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Jul 2020 13:59

Sutekh
Whore Jackie
Hound

And Leigertwood remains the only Reading player to be name checked in a Carpenters song.

indeed, and when karen died they reformed as 'the doors' after calabarating with 'hinge and bracket'

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Jul 2020 16:35

linkenholtroyal
Hound
gazzer, loyal royal Barrow has signed for the South Korean champions so that’s another wedge off the wage bill

good news. Rumours of receiving a 1.5m transfer fee as well

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... op-flight/

1 down, 19 to go...

for 20p more they could have had Aluko aswell but they turned it down. too steep

Could we not have foregone the fee for them to take Aluko ?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 17:17

Franchise FC
linkenholtroyal
Hound
good news. Rumours of receiving a 1.5m transfer fee as well

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... op-flight/

1 down, 19 to go...

for 20p more they could have had Aluko aswell but they turned it down. too steep

Could we not have foregone the fee for them to take Aluko ?

Howe insisted he didn't want to break his duck on not getting more than what the player is worth out of a transfer fee.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 25 Jul 2020 10:22

Obita and Adam have nothing announced they have been released

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 25 Jul 2020 11:16

gazzer, loyal royal Obita and Adam have nothing announced they have been released

Huh?

Obita has gone.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 25 Jul 2020 12:54

Jagermesiter1871
gazzer, loyal royal Obita and Adam have nothing announced they have been released

Huh?

Obita has gone.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... m-18661245

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Jul 2020 13:32

Confirmed Blackett has gone too.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Jul 2020 13:34

So Blackett, Gunter, Obita, McCleary and Adam have all left the club. Looks like they are trying to hang on to Osho though.

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/12 ... 0653282306
https://twitter.com/TheTilehurstEnd/sta ... 7782230018

No surprises there, wish them all well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2020 17:51

muirinho So Blackett, Gunter, Obita, McCleary and Adam have all left the club. Looks like they are trying to hang on to Osho though.

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/12 ... 0653282306
https://twitter.com/TheTilehurstEnd/sta ... 7782230018

No surprises there, wish them all well.

Also Reading are speaking to Liverpool regarding renegotiating the terms of Ejaria’s move so that move may still be a possibility.

217 posts