Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

217 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Sep 2020 14:49

Sutekh Mr McNulty is now being linked with a loan move to Dundee United (isn’t that where Charlie went or was that Dundee?).

apparently so, an article I read said the stumbling block was that he is on double the highest-paid player at Dundee. He will need to take a big pay cut to join. So I tried to do some digging and it looks as though their highest-paid player is on 6k pw, so that gives an idea of what he's on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 16:55

WoodleyRoyal
Sutekh Mr McNulty is now being linked with a loan move to Dundee United (isn’t that where Charlie went or was that Dundee?).

apparently so, an article I read said the stumbling block was that he is on double the highest-paid player at Dundee. He will need to take a big pay cut to join. So I tried to do some digging and it looks as though their highest-paid player is on 6k pw, so that gives an idea of what he's on.

Seems about right for a highly rated lower league striker moving to the Championship. Maybe a touch high.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Sep 2020 17:22

I think McNulty is in his final year with us which helps. If we get anything for me we need to let him go. Can’t see us getting more than £200,000 anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 19:19

Zip I think McNulty is in his final year with us which helps. If we get anything for me we need to let him go. Can’t see us getting more than £200,000 anyway.

If things are as tight as they seem just getting 50 or 60% of his wages off the budget might be a start.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Sep 2020 13:43

Zip I think McNulty is in his final year with us which helps. If we get anything for me we need to let him go. Can’t see us getting more than £200,000 anyway.

Marc McNulty is contracted to Reading until June 2022.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2020 14:10

Sutekh

Oh well.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 Sep 2020 21:52

Sutekh

My life really? Why on earth did we hand out a 4-year contract to a player who hadn’t yet proved himself at League 1 level let alone Championship? 2 years would’ve been more sensible

Laurent’s contract is just 2, so hopefully the trend continues to improve post-Gourlay

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2020 22:15

Notts Royal
Sutekh

My life really? Why on earth did we hand out a 4-year contract to a player who hadn’t yet proved himself at League 1 level let alone Championship? 2 years would’ve been more sensible

Laurent’s contract is just 2, so hopefully the trend continues to improve post-Gourlay

Good season and suddenly he's got one left and can go cheap or for nothing the next year.

Three seems sensible.

I'd only really go four for a talented young player on a relatively low wage though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2020 08:26

I always thought the main reason for these long contracts, especially for money signings, is to flatten the cost with regards to FFP. We weren't doing anything unusual within the game - aside from signing the wrong players of course.

Another example of how FFP was/is deeply flawed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2020 12:53

Vision I always thought the main reason for these long contracts, especially for money signings, is to flatten the cost with regards to FFP. We weren't doing anything unusual within the game - aside from signing the wrong players of course.

That only really works for spreading big transfer fees though doesn't it?

And that's always the way fees have been accounted for.

I know you weren't really talking about McNulty, but say he is on £12k a week. That's 600k ish a year.

It makes no sense to spread his fee of say £1m from £333k over 3 years to £250k over 4 years at an extra £600k of cost and risk.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2020 13:08

Snowflake Royal
Vision I always thought the main reason for these long contracts, especially for money signings, is to flatten the cost with regards to FFP. We weren't doing anything unusual within the game - aside from signing the wrong players of course.

I know you weren't really talking about McNulty, but say he is on £12k a week. That's 600k ish a year.

It makes no sense to spread his fee of say £1m from £333k over 3 years to £250k over 4 years at an extra £600k of cost and risk.

Yeh I'm speaking generally of course but soon adds up if you buy 5-6 players every summer transfer window. Obviously resale possibilities come into play too. Someone like Puscas (5 year deal I think) the consideration would be both flattening the FFP liability as well as potential resale for a highly regarded European player.

As I said it isn't/wasn't just us. It became something of the norm at other clubs so to attract/keep players we had to follow suit to some degree.

I do remember when Meite got his lengthy contact extention and the general reaction to that. One of our most saleable assets now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2020 15:44

Vision
Snowflake Royal

Yeh I'm speaking generally of course but soon adds up if you buy 5-6 players every summer transfer window. Obviously resale possibilities come into play too. Someone like Puscas (5 year deal I think) the consideration would be both flattening the FFP liability as well as potential resale for a highly regarded European player.

As I said it isn't/wasn't just us. It became something of the norm at other clubs so to attract/keep players we had to follow suit to some degree.

I do remember when Meite got his lengthy contact extention and the general reaction to that. One of our most saleable assets now.

Fair.

Although I'd put Meite in the young cheap category where a 4 / 5 year contract makes sense, because they're unlikely to be a big liability if a failure but could be of massive value if a success.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2020 02:13

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Snowflake Royal That only really works for spreading big transfer fees though doesn't it?

Fair.

Although I'd put Meite in the young cheap category where a 4 / 5 year contract makes sense, because they're unlikely to be a big liability if a failure but could be of massive value if a success.

Just on this, Meite might go down as a severely underrated deal in our recent history despite being a free transfer.

No questions about his dedication, attitude and athleticism but his technical ability has often drawn away from just how good a signing he has been.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2020 08:46

I fookin love Yaks.

Thoroughly lovable player, who puts the work in and produces the goods.

Without him, we'd probably have been relegated in either of the last two seasons and he's one of the main reasons for the uplift in atmosphere from C1871. He's an exciting player, he performs and he has a good song that you can really belt out. Plus he came to the stand and joined in when injured. And he has the most infectious smile.

Total dreamboat legend.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2020 10:06

Snowflake Royal I fookin love Yaks.

Without him, we'd probably have been relegated in either of the last two seasons and he's one of the main reasons for the uplift in atmosphere from C1871. He's an exciting player, he performs and he has a good song that you can really belt out. Plus he came to the stand and joined in when injured. And he has the most infectious smile.

Total dreamboat legend.

Agreed with all that. A rarity in recent years, someone that most of the fans have a real love for because he seems like a genuine nice guy.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Oct 2020 10:32

Hendo

Total dreamboat legend.

Agreed with all that. A rarity in recent years, someone that most of the fans have a real love for because he seems like a genuine nice guy.

Agreed.and as has been said he puts the work in, I think most fans can accept losses/poor performances at times as long as players put in a decent shift

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Oct 2020 00:08

SouthDownsRoyal
Hendo

Total dreamboat legend.

Agreed.and as has been said he puts the work in, I think most fans can accept losses/poor performances at times as long as players put in a decent shift

And a +1 from me too

His attitude is fantastic but mainly it's all about his song!

217 posts